“Another visit, not disappointed”

Pullman Port Douglas Sea Temple Resort & Spa
Ranked #14 of 42 Hotels in Port Douglas
Sydney, Australia
“Another visit, not disappointed”
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I must say this is my second visit to Sea Temple (now taken over by Pullman), and the first 24 hrs of my stay was a bit ordinary. Room not ready, wifi didnt work, key didnt work .. but on eventually all this was rectified and I sent an email to the operations mgr who offered me a late check out which was much appreciated.

The resort was as lovely the second time around, clean, attentive staff, however was a little disappointed with my room (I did book through Groupon, which was a great deal for a penthouse). I asked for a pool view room, and go an apartment in front of the pool obsecured by about 20 palm trees. From what I could see and hear, the room right next door which had a lovely view was not occupied the whole time I was there .. so I am of the opinion that when booking with a voucher they give you the less favourable rooms, although this was hotly denied when I advised the operations mgr of this in my email.

However, having said that, it was of little concern once I was there as the resort is great. Doesnt feel crowded in the pool, as it is massive, though the guest sundeck areas can get crowded as this is not so massive. There are a lot of rooms with swim outs so if you have one you wouldnt use the guest sundeck area as you have your own private space, although some of these had shade all day.

Sea Temple is about 5 km from the main street, but there is shuttle service (around $5 each way) which travels frequently to a timetable. I hired a car relatively cheaply from Cairns airport, and for me this was a great, as I could park undercover too.

All in all, was a great experience again. NB: I rated the value as "very good" on a voucher deal, otherwise this place is very very expensive.

Room Tip: Swimouts seem to be popular, private area for sunning and swimming from. Ask for one in the sun if...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Mary D
Kelvin D, General Manager at Pullman Port Douglas Sea Temple Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 November 2013
Thank you for providing your review. We love it when we have return guests!

It is disappointing to hear that your initial 24 hours wasn't satisfactory, however, we're glad that we were able to rectify it all for you.

We can assure you that guests are not favoured higher or lower due to the booking avenue. We allocate our rooms depending on the room types selected and the length of stay. As you can imagine it is rather like a game of tetris! We endeavour to fill all requests as we want to make our guests happy during their stay with us. We do ourselves no favours by not allocating our most suitable rooms to each booking. All of our rooms are individually owned and not all are managed by the resort. The vacant room next to yours may have been one of these private rooms. We have some lucky owners that live onsite or keep the use of the rooms for themselves or family and friends.

Thank you for providing the tip about catching the shuttle bus or hiring a car. This is great information for our future guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the resort a third time - perhaps in a Swimout Apartment next time.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 29 October 2013

This place is gorgeous. I went to sea temple for a week's rest on my own after 3 recent bereavements. The resort was beautiful however I was very disappointed with the service I received. I stayed in a studio for 4 days and was moved to a 2 bed room apt as part of my booking. Your resort was recommended by my family and a friend who had a conference there some 5 years ago. Since the new owners have taken over it is clear that quality of service has headed south. The tariff is expensive and service does not match the price!!

Firstly the positives ie jennifer and her team at front desk was very helpful and real nice. Dinner crew was great and dinner is great. Breakfast crew was rude and you could tell they were not happy and did not want to be there!!. With house keeping well the floor in my studio was really dirty as I had black feet and it was unclean. Also housekeeping missed my room when I stayed in 2 bedroom. A couple of things that do you make you a 5 star resort - No body lotion at all. I stayed when there were 100 americans that visited the resort and resort was fully occupied.

I walked 4 mile beach but got lost as I turned right and got caught in swamps. Suggest you add signage so people turn left to walk to town.I raised the above issues with the reception staff.They advised that it was difficult to get local staff to work at resort. Your resort is recommended in the exclusive travel magazines. I understand that locals do not want to work at resort however if you are competing for the tourist dollar. You need to lift your game on customer service. It is a great pity as the location is truly amazing. Lift your service to match the prices you charge or drop your price to match the 3 star service!!!. Good luck

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
3 Thank sparktoflame
Thank you for sharing your review of your stay. We are sorry to hear of your recent bereavements.

We are glad that you found our facilities beautiful however we are very disappointed that our service did not meet your expectations in some areas.

We will share your positive comments with our Front Office team as well as our dinner service team from AQUA Restaurant.

We welcome constructive feedback to ensure that our service levels are continually improving and thus will address this with our Breakfast and Housekeeping teams.

We encourage all of our guests to walk the hour or so into Port Douglas along Four Mile Beach as it is stunning. We regret that you experienced difficulty with the directions.

We hope that you enjoyed your time in Port Douglas and will be back to experience a much higher level of service at the Resort.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 October 2013

A beautiful resort located about 4.8km from Port Douglas and right on the 4 Mile Beach.

The rooms are setup up as studio apartments from 1 2 & 3 bedrooms with either access to your own roof top spa or Plunge pool both with BBQ facilities..

Their is a choice of Golf View or Lagoon View in which your walk straight out you door into this amazing pool.

We had a 2 Bed with a plunge pool however we were originally in a 1 bedroom with a spa we requested to upgrade and it was worth it but thats not saying the 1 bedroom wasn't any good it was we just made a decision to upgrade.

The rooms are well equipped we cooked some meals here they provide enough to be able to do that.

Front desk staff and housekeeping staff were of great assistance when we had any questions.

Overall we loved the resort next time I will look at booking a room by the lagoon pool.

The only negative was we found the restaurant and bar service a little slow apart from that we would definitely be back.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank PJstravels3567
Kelvin D, General Manager at Pullman Port Douglas Sea Temple Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Thank you for you review of your holiday at the Resort. We love hearing that you had a 'chill out holiday'!

We do have many room types all with different features designed to suit all types of travellers. We're glad you loved your upgrade to a Plunge Pool Apartment.

Thank you for the nice comments about our Front Office and Housekeeping staff as well as the feedback on the service provided in AQUA Restaurant. Your comments will be shared with our team to ensure our service levels are continually improved.

We look forward to your return!
Reviewed 19 October 2013 via mobile

This place is phenomenal and we will be back. It's is breathtaking and beautiful. However the staff let it down. You can tell the "staff" from the backpackers. The staff are professional, courteous, polite, attentive and responsible and the backpacker staff are inattentive, clueless and rude. The Internet here does not work so forget it. The fridge in our room beeped incessantly for no reason.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank Dave B
Thank you for sharing a review of your recent stay with us. We love to hear that you found our facilities 'phenomenal' but are disappointed that you felt let down by our service. We appreciate the feedback you have provided on our team and we will endeavour to lift all service to a 5 star level.

We hope that you brought to our attention the issue you experienced with your fridge and we were able to address it during your stay. We understand that the noise must have been frustrating for you.

The internet service provided at the Resort can be intermittent due to our regional location. We offer 30mins of complimentary wifi in our Lobby area so you can get the essentials done online. We hope that for the rest of your stay you were able to switch off and relax - perhaps in our lagoon style pool.

We look forward to welcoming you back the resort.
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Beautiful, simple, modern, clean decor.
I stayed in a 2 bedroom with a patio, clean, modern kitchen,
With own clothes washer and dryer that worked well, and had
Soap supplies available.
The rooms were above average in design.
However, the bathroom sink though beautiful was a little lower in
Height than usual, the bathtub, shower did not drain, and the Internet was "on" and "off",
Until I found out that when I moved rooms, sometimes the Internet did not work
In certain rooms.
Also, a beautiful pool, but comes right in front of room which meant that
Window shades had to be down when dressing
I was on the bottom floor, but those who stayed on 2 nd, top floor had a better
Experience..

Nice shuttle in Port Douglas that for $5.oo Australian dollars
Can take you into town and stops at all the hotels.

Room Tip: Choose a second floor, top, if you want more view and privacy
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review. It's nice to hear that you found our resort 'beautiful' and were impressed with our accommodation rooms.

The internet provided at the resort can be a little intermittent as we are in a regional location. We think it's a great excuse to switch off and enjoy our tropical paradise. However, we understand that it can be inconvenient (especially for travel arrangements) and so offer 30mins of complimentary wifi in our lobby area.

Our Penthouse Apartments are all on the second level and offer different room features to the Swimout Apartments on the Ground Floor (alongside the pool). We'd be more than happy to book one of these room types for you should you choose to return.

We hope to see you again soon.