“Disappointed”

Ranked #27 of 43 Hotels in Port Douglas
Pimpama, Australia
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

I stayed there a few weeks ago, I got a deal with Livingsocial so was half price, this price was about right I wouldn't of paid any more.
The rooms were a little grimy and the balcony dirty with bird pooh all over, the pool was nice as we paid the extra $50 a day for a pool side room.
The bus from the hotel over the road to town was convenient and handy, I would probably stay closer to town next time.
My main gripe is my Son left some belongings behind, I contacted the place a week later and they found them in the room still, so asked to get posted back, I never received them and now have found out they threw them away, so in my mind the customer service is poor along with the cleaners.
I will not stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Bernielad72
Karen H, Manager at Pool Resort Port Douglas, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
I understand you were disappointed in your items not being returned. We do apologise for the inconvenience, but there was a genuine miscommunication. There was a time delay of a week before you notified us of these items being left behind. During this time other items were left behind from other guests. Unfortunately your items were disposed of. In all instances items left behind are quickly missed and guests notify us. Our housekeeping team are very reliable and honest, and any items left behind are usually dealt with in a very professional manner and returned to the guest without further delay.

We have a very high standard of cleanliness in our units, with inspections from management on a daily basis. Should you have had an issue with cleanliness at the time, we would expect that you would notify reception on your arrival, then we could have addressed your issues straight away.

I am disappointed that you have chosen to comment as you have, when all efforts were made to locate your items and calls to yourself to explain, were received with the phone being hung up on our reception staff.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Cairns, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

Stayed here long weekend just gone, was nice enough, but not good enough for what we paid!!! stayed in a 3 bedroom apartment with a swim out which was lovely, but the unit it self the floors were all gritty with dirt, only 1 coffee and 2 Tea sachet no sugar, the balcony outside had bird poo all over it, on the floor the walls, the chairs etc. Don't provide towels for the pool. Obviously they were doing renovations, there was no decking near pool just a big hole where there use to be decking found a screw in the pool and found the pool to be dirty. Don't think I would stay there again as port has a lot of nice places on offer.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Karen H, Manager at Pool Resort Port Douglas, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Thankyou for your review. Our 3 bedroom apartments are very spacious and popular. The swimup to the pool is very appealing.
Unfortunately we are carrying out repairs to the deck area between the two pools. These repairs were necessary for the safety of all guests. There is never a good time to do these sorts of repairs but our thought was minimal disruption to guests before the busy season. The deck has now been completed and opened up for our guests.
There was obviously an oversight on the condiments - coffee,tea,sugar. If you had let us know we would have addressed this for you straight away.
Your comments regarding the balcony, we will address this immediately. We thankyou for bringing it to our attention.
Pool Resort is a lovely peaceful place and we would welcome you back should you decide to visit us again and we would ensure your stay was a pleasant one.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

After travelling round Australia for the past couple of months, the stop I was looking forward to the most was port douglas and my stay at pool.

I was lucky enough to find a groupon deal for the hotel valid for when I would be there too. I'm rather glad it was there as I certainly would not of paid full rates for this hotel. I still think the deal was over priced to the quality I seen!

Ok so on arrival, I would say the staff were helpful however it was a simple here's your key. Not even a conversation!

After getting to the room, which was a real nice room, we settled in. With in 5 minutes I noticed heaps of ants all over the wall, in the cupboards, in the washer.

Being a property owner of several holiday homes in qld I realise ants can be a issue. However for a small fee barrier scan be used which actually works. Instead pool just issue a notice in their compendium stating to not leave stuff on the sides. In my opinion that is totally unacceptable and clearly nothing has been done to rectify the issue.

I also noticed that ALL electrical appliances were out of date and not in there current test tag date. All of which were dated august 2010! Not even a recent date! This is electrically unsafe, especially with the presence of class one and two items and should be rectified at the earliest opportunity! (I have also reported this to the appropriate authorities)

The pool at the resort is stunning and WOULD be a brilliant place to relax if there was no builders doing what ever there doing from 8am using grinders nail guns and the like. Just when you think it's going to be peaceful cue the gardeners with whipper snippers for hours. We ended up leaving and going to find somewhere that actually was peaceful.

After my stay I went to hand the keys in to check out, I wasn't expecting any conversation after the arrival, I was right to think so, the staff simply took the key and went about there business. No questions about how my stay was, if there was I would of voiced my opinion there and then.

Not very professional in my opinion and clear to see why they have groupon deals as they must be lacking something, maybe if the units where looked after and the staff were more courteous they may see more custom.

I am returning to port douglas soon however will not be using this accommodation again

• Stayed June 2014
2 Thank Scotty4683
Thankyou for your review. We are sorry your experience at Pool was not as you were expecting.
Unfortunately, we were carrying out repairs on the decking between the two pools, which was necessitated for the safety of our guests. There is never a good time to carry out these sorts of repairs and it was carried out at a time we thought minimal disruption to guests would occur.
Our staff are highly trained in customer service and I say it was a shame we didn't get to meet you, your partner was very pleasant to deal with regarding your disappointment over the deck being repaired. You were reimbursed with a nights accommodation fee.
The ant issue is something we have to live with in FNQ and our apartments are regularly pest controlled and ant baits are situated throughout the apartments.
The electrical tags which you mention being out of date, no longer apply as the safety switches in each apartment are annually audited and were completed in March. The tags will be removed.
Pool Resort is a lovely peaceful resort and we would encourage you to revisit us and we will ensure your stay is an enjoyable experience.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Very nice and comfortable apartments! Clean and all necessary amenities. We had a first floor terrace and it was great to have our meals on the balcony, overlooking the pool. The pool is amazing also! Better to have a car as restaurants and shops are not close. Feasible with the shuttle but not ideal. The staff is very helpful and good assistance for bookings trips, etc ...
Really enjoyed our stay there! It's a very good location to start trips to Daintree Forests and also Great Barrier Reef. Port Douglas is an attractive small town and has a nice atmosphere.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
6 Thank Ingrid741
Thankyou for your review.
It is very refreshing to have complimentary comments made about Pool Resort. It is a very relaxed and comfortable resort, complimented by being very peaceful.
We do recommend guests have a rental car, being a short distance from the main town.
We have a great team working at Pool, all of whom have the best interests of Pool in there everyday duties.
When you are not enjoying the expansive pool, the tours offered are exceptional.
Thankyou once again and we look forward to you coming back to Pool for another great stay.
YOWIE BAY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

Great place for honeymooners or couples. Very modern, main pool very relaxing. Air con failed once but was easily restored. Air con in living area was very rattly and a little annoying after a while but we coped. Could do with some air freshener as unit smelled stale but probably because windows or doors couldn't be opened due to the heat and humidity which is part and parcel of a northern Queensland holiday. It's not a 'resort' as such, more a series of luxury apartments with a beautiful swim up pool to each ground floor unit. It was very relaxing and quiet and the wildlife was great, saw ulysses butterflies every day, beautiful Curlews in the grounds and on the rooftops, little sunbirds in the bushes and thousands of bats flying by at dusk! The reception was friendly. All in all a totally relaxing place to enjoy.

Room Tip: Apartments with private plunge pool are the go!
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Dorothy H
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

We stayed at Pool over the New Year period. They obviously weren't prepared for a large number of guests staying as a lot of problems with air conditioning breaking down and other things to be fixed. The apartments needed a good clean.
The two bedroom apartments are small (They look much bigger on the website). They would be fine for a couple and one small child.
The pool is great but there isn't any shaded areas.

Room Tip: Pick a room downstairs if you want a swim up room. Rooms were quiet and you couldn't hear other...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank NessH2014
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

We've just returned from our second visit to this property in recent years and had yet another fantastic time.

To deal first with a few quibbles that come up from time to time on other reviews.

Yes, the property is fair distance from the centre of town (about 3 or 4 kms) so take this into account, but it's nothing that can't be seen from a simple map search!

Also, it is important to note this property provides self-catered apartments and is not a "hotel" with restaurants, bars, etc. This may be a problem for those who want these facilities, but the flip side is the accomodation is an apartment with full cooking, laundry facilities, etc., not a hotel room.

Moving on, we find our time at Pool to be very relaxing. The distance from town provides both a quietness and encourages you to relax without feeling a need to go into town every day. We've found the property to be suitable for couples or family needs. The big plusses here are the relaxation, quietness and ready access to the main pool (especially from the swim up apartments).

There's no doubt this property is not for everyone, nor every occasion (but what is?) however so long as you match your needs to the property we would be happy recommending this to our friends.

For improvement, it would be useful to have the rooms serviced more frequently ... currently once a week, but I think more like every three days would be better.

Room Tip: Go for the swim up apartments on the main pool.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family