“Quiet and Friendly and Convenient”

Apartments at The White House Port Douglas
Reviewed 6 September 2012

Manager Margaret is the real star here. She's friendly and helpful and very kind. Nothing was too much trouble and to have her wave me goodbye was so lovely. She arranged tours and transfers, suggested eateries (and was spot on) and was never intrusive.

The apartment was large with a modern kitchen (stove/oven, dishwasher, fridge), functional bathroom (with laundry facilities) and a comfortable bed. There was ample cutlery, crockery, pots, pans, glassware and mugs. The furnishings were tasteful with big TV and a DVD player. I found it a little dark in the daytime for my taste but it's a tropics thing to not have sunlight flooding indoors and really, what are you doing indoors when it's so lovely outside?

The location was great for the beach - through the park and you were in the sand. I loved being able to go for a walk on the beach followed by a swim before breakfast. The only night noise was provided by birds, so quality sleep was had. The place was full while I was there but I didn't hear other occupants at all. It was about a 10 minute walk to the main part of Macrossan Street.

I loved that The White House provided enough dishwashing liquid and dishwasher capsules for the entire stay.

The Sunday markets in town are brilliant - local produce (coffee, tea, chocolate, macadamias, seafood, fruit, veg and sugar cane juice), locally made jams, preserves, baked goods, jewellery, clothes, woodwork, art and music.

I love Port Douglas, it's perfect for relaxing and for easy access out to the Great Barrier Reef, and I'd love to stay at the White House again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank ZenTourist
Margaret W, Manager at Apartments at The White House Port Douglas, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2012

Thank you ZenTourist, I try to help, and it's always an absolute pleasure to help lovely people like yourself! Having a big balcony outside does cut down on the afternoon light in some of the apartments, I know, but it does keep them cool and comfortable and the light in the morning is glorious. I'm glad you agree with my taste in eateries, it's such a chore to try them all constantly but I force myself!! The Torres Imperial Pigeons are back for the season, so now we have soft cooing to lull us to sleep, you'd enjoy that. Do come back soon, I look forward very much to seeing you again.

Reviewed 2 September 2012

White House is a great place to stay in Port Douglas. It is very close to the beach and close to all the shops and restaurants, just an easy walk and yet one feels a long way from all the bustle of Macrossan Street. The apartment is clean, open, fresh and comfortable. Margaret is very helpful and gives valuable information about the restaurants and local activities. It is an easy paced place to stay with all the amenities and no fuss. It was a truly relaxing holiday and wonderful place to stay and would love to return.

Room Tip: Room 4 was good. It has a spacious balcony where it was lovely to sit and have meals and read and wh...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DarynP

Thank you, Daryn P, I'm glad you liked apartment 4 - you'll have to try a different one next time, they're all good! They all have balconies where you can enjoy the fresh air and watch the birds and butterflies, maybe even see the ocean.

Reviewed 17 April 2012

After some extensive travelling up the east coast of Australia, we came upon the White House in Port Douglas. Port Douglas is a lovely town with excellent restaurants, and so much to do from this area.The apartment was superbly appointed, spacious and spotless. We had a penthouse appartment, so were spoilt with 3 balconies.The location was just excellent, 2 minutes to 4 mile beach, 5 mins to the town, shops and restaurants. The icing on the cake was Margaret, the Manager who was efficient, kind, friendly and so very helpful. I cannot recommend this place enough. We originally booked in for 7 days, stayed 12 and will make it for a month next time! We had stayed in many nice apartments on our trip, but this was the best.

Room Tip: Recommend the penthouse apartments, but sure they are all good.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sally B
Reviewed 24 March 2012

Our stay at the White House Port Douglas was exceptional. It is nicely situated close to 4 mile beach, maybe at most 150 meters. The shopping areas as well as the supermarket are within easy walking distance.
The apartments are spacious and clean with a great balcony. Coming from one of the more colder parts of Canada, I didn't think I would appreciate air conditioning as much as I did in the White House apartments. The management(Margaret) was incredibly helpful with any requests we had as well as making fantastic suggestions for activities and restaurants. A trip is made so much easier and enjoyable when the guidance provided hits the centre of the target. Margaret does a great job making one feel at home.
One of the attributes of the White House apartments that I like, is it that it does not have an over whelming corporate feel to it. It feels more quaint with quality. Thank you for making part of our stay in Australia most enjoyable. Now it's time to go shovel snow!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Darren H
margreat13, Manager at Apartments at The White House Port Douglas, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2012

Darren H, I love that – “quaint with quality”! We certainly don’t go for the corporate feel so I’m glad you appreciated the relaxed atmosphere as well as the quality. This is such a great area, I love to help people enjoy it even more, so thank you for letting me know you had a good holiday. Hope to see you again next time the snow gets too much!

Reviewed 5 February 2012

After spending over 3 weeks travelling around Australia we finished our holiday in the White House. A perfect end to a wonderful trip. The pent house apartment was superbly furnished, very comfortable and Margaret could not do enough to ensure our stay was of the highest standard. The location of the apartments is superb, being only a short walk to the beach and the main shopping and restaurant area. Margaret also booked our trips to the Great Barrier Reef and Kuranda, which were both excellent and unmissable.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
margreat13, Manager at Apartments at The White House Port Douglas, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2012

Thank you, Sandra W, I'm really glad you were all happy with your apartment at The White House and that you feel I helped make it even better! A pat on the back now and then is so much appreciated, it's good to know my 25 years of local knowledge came in handy.

Reviewed 19 December 2011

Large comfortable living room, with very comfortable furniture through out. Bedrooms aren't large, but then all you do is sleep there. Fine kitchen. One very short block walk to the beach. Easy walk to town & Macrossan St. Highly recommended. There were no noisy kids when we were there (near the end of the season. Internet is available for a reasonable fee ( the ISP is Jimojo) but service (on a net book) was very slow& Jimojo was slow about responding to helpdesk ticket - may have been partly the fault of my machine. There is a good internet cafe on Macrossan St. so this is not a knock-out punch. Margaret Wilson was very helpful about restaurants, etc. We would vertainly stay there agian if we were in Port Douglas & have recommended it to friends.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ready2Go2008
Reviewed 7 October 2011

Have just spent the last two weeks here Stayed in a two bedroom with our teenagers. Great location one block from the beach and 5 minute walk to macrossan street 10 minute walk to the marina. Very quiet location with a manager who knows the area and can book any tour you can possibly think of. we will be going back

Room Tip: ring before booking, yoou will get the room that you need
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family