“Great weekend away for wedding anniversary”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of QT Port Douglas

QT Port Douglas
Ranked #22 of 43 Hotels in Port Douglas
Cairns, Queensland, Australia
“Great weekend away for wedding anniversary”
Reviewed 8 September 2013

I had heard many good things about QT Port Douglas so decided to check it out for myself. I was definitely not disappointed! Super friendly staff throughout the entire resort. Check-in was very easy and we were given a variety of different discount cards to use within the resort. The concierge service was very quick (as was all room service requests) and there was a bottle of wine & welcome card waiting in our room on arrival. Loved the 1 bedroom villa which was tastefully styled and I love that you can purchase anything from your room (I bought a pineapple candle as a memento of our wonderful weekend away at QT). Can't wait to return - I would definitely recommend it to anyone and everyone 10/10 :)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 8 September 2013

Likes: good pool area, relaxing place to stay, though the hotel caters for a lot of people it still felt private because of the gardens and layout, tropical feel - really nice reception area, lots of places to sit and relax, the room is very funky and you can buy just about anything that is there including the lamps and lamp tables, towels etc!, King sized bed was very comfortable and a quality amenities kit is supplied, free parking.

Dislikes: Wedding on at the restaurant meant we couldn't go there for a meal - on check in we asked about bookings but was only told it was fully booked not that there was a function on.. the wedding was loud and noisy - people smoking near our room - but itwrapped up at 11pm, cheap nasty wine provided in room as complimentary, couldn't even drink it!! Need a car if you want to see more of the town or beaches as it's too far to walk - but they do provided free bike hire at the hotel

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Port Douglas, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear gorgeous QT Port Douglas guest,

Thanks so much for a brilliant shout out! We love that you loved us and look forward to seeing you again soonest.

Brisbane
Reviewed 7 September 2013

I was desperately seeking a short peaceful break away from Cairns and after searching through some of the options thought Id give QT a go. I must admit I was a bit concerned with some of the reviews on here at first but bit the bullet to try it out, given I am a person who stays a lot in hotels and fairly particular this was a good choice after all. After catching a Sun Palm Bus from Cairns to PD I arrived at QT and had one of the staff greet me and assist me with my bag at check in and showing me to my 1 Bed Villa. I had requested a quite, top floor garden villa which was perfect. The villa was clean on first glance, bright, spacious enough and quirkily decorated which was nice very holiday resort style. I had an end apartment overlooking a pond and other villas but privacy wasn't an issue. I did request a King bed BUT unfortunately its not really a king bed but two single mattress zippered together. I must say this is a pet peeve and wish they would think about putting in actual king size mattresses as although they are zippered you can still feel the bulge down the middle of the bed and always roll to the edge therefore may as well have a single this was a shame as the mattresses are the uber comfi ones but you don't really get that comfort having the two together. Overall great stay I left feeling very relaxed I stayed for only two nights but felt as if I stayed for a week. I definitely would come back.

PROS: Great food and Relaxing Holiday Atmosphere

CONS:
- You don't get a real King bed you get two single mattress stuck together

- Villa was clean on first glance however when settled in noticed the carpet in the bedroom didn't appear to be vacuumed thoroughly.

- Slightly felt like a glorified backpackers hotel with the amount of what seemed to be backpackers floating around. I hope this doesn't impact the future of this place.

- A lot of the staff were quite young and seemed only to show interest in other young guest or visitors a lot of socialising which is fine but this is meant to be a paying guests resort. I don't think I was the only person who noticed this.

RECOMMEND
I recommend rooms away from the pool or non ground floor as privacy. QT perhaps some sheer curtains might help with this.

Room Tip: High floor away from pool
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank AussieLoneTraveller
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed 4 September 2013

What a disappointment this hotel was ...My Husband and l stayed there 30th August using a Wotif secret hotel booking.When booking for this particular place it states you have to book it before you can see what place it is and seeing that it had 5 star rating on it thought it would be worth a try not realising that the 5 star rating was self rated and not through a wotif or other companies that rate hotels ..anyway asked for a room with a view and up high if possible not realising that our room would be four flights of stairs up and no elevator .After finally finding our way thru the maze of pathways to our top floor :( room what a disappointment it was to be dominated by a kingsize bed which we find out is two singles put together and a layer of foam over the top not quite getting rid of the ridge down the middle keeping us seperated anyway so should have just pulled them apart the room was very sparse no where to put your bag until your hunt thru storage unit which is the only way to describe the wardrobe and you find a luggage stand only big enough to hold a womans hand bag .... the room was clean altho there were black marks on the walls that stood out as the room was so sparse it was dominated by the bed and nothing else nowhere to sit or put anything on there was a connecting door that was open and we could see into the other room which looked ok but still definitely not 5 star we had stayed there before when it was the sabaya hotel and had a much nicer room ..I must say the staff were very friendly altho when at the bar area after dinner the DJ better get another job not that good either l grew up in the 80's and found that the decor looked more worn out than 80's and had a price on everything to buy it not cool food ok had better oh the view we had from the room was the back of the hotel and was crap we must have had the furtherest room away from anywhere....would not and will not recommend this hotel to any of my friends and we are local and l work in the tourist industry and will not recommend it to tourists either :(

Room Tip: ask for a bottom floor room especially if you have a lot of baggage (excuse the pun) and not in the...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank deb h
Dear past QT Port Douglas guest,

We appreciate your feedback and will take time to run through it with our team.

With warmest regards,

Reviewed 3 September 2013

We stayed at QT 2 weeks ago and had a fantastic time there! Cool, quirky and lovely staff all round! Headed straight to the lagoon pool and bar and we were just so overwhelmed of the smiley staff at the bar, the ozzy lad wayne came around and checked on us around the pool, bringing us out orders and making sure we were happy, we felt so special!! The main bar and restaurant was fantastic the whole time! And we loved that there was a resident bandicoot called 'crash' by the bar staff...what fun! Our holiday was made by all the staff, what a great asset to this resort they are.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Lizzy_tebay
Wimbledon, UK & Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 2 September 2013

First impressions on a very late check in were good - the reception area looks amazing and the gentleman that checked us in was very friendly. Unfortunately it was mostly downhill from there.

Our room looked pretty good as we first walked in although smaller than anticipated. The renovation has been done well but it appears to have been completed to a very tight budget. The 'luxurious QT King bed' was two single beds pushed together and were ridiculously soft and concave in shape. The other reviewer that compares it to a hammock is spot on although it isn't as comfortable as a hammock. The mini bar was not replaced at all and the food items QT styled packaging (lollies, etc) looked as though it had been reused several times.

The airconditioner was mouldy so we didn't use it after the first night. We were also woken up by someone talking business in the next room although he could have been at the bottom of the bed for how loud it was - I'm not sure if this was as a result of the connecting door between our rooms. I'm also think he would have been unhappy with our late arrival and champagne drinking. The mesh balcony chairs were already in poor condition and needed to be replaced.

The staff here are generally very friendly welcoming although a few of them really thought they were gods gift to hospitality - thankfully this arrogance was the exception rather than the rule. We had breakfast one morning and it was definitely one of the better hotel breakfast buffets we have experienced. The pool is as good as everyone says.

I'll be back to Port Douglas but I'll be staying somewhere else as there has to be better.

Room Tip: 3rd floor access is only by stairs. Ask for a room without a connecting door.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear past QT Port Douglas guest,

We appreciate your feedback and will take time to run through it with our team.

With warmest regards,

Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Loved this hotel, all very new and beautiful!

Having the moonlight cinema was a bonus too :)

One thing I was not happy about though was that we stayed a total of 8 nights and our sheets were not changed once.

Also the shampoos were never replaced

Still a great stay :)