“Very classy intimate restaurant”

Watergate Restaurant & Lounge Bar
Ranked #2 of 127 Restaurants in Port Douglas
Price range: US$13 - US$29
Good for: Bar Scene, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Watergate Restaurant & Lounge Bar is located in the heart of Port Douglas, at the corner of Grant and Macrossan Street behind the Rotary Park. Enter down the flame lit path from Macrossan Street. The restaurant offers both indoor and outdoor dining. Watergate's cuisine is modern Australian. Executive Chef Lee Neate sources fresh, seasonal produce to prepare innovative dishes that reflect contemporary trends in Australian cooking. Opening hours : the restaurant is open for lunch from midday, and dinner is served from 5:30 pm, seven days a week. We also have a light lounge menu available available through the day until late. Watergate also has a well appointed bar, ideal for a cocktail as the sunsets, or maybe a light meal from the lounge menu with a bottle of wine. It is also available for a pre-dinner drink, or desserts and coffee at the end of the night.
Reviewed 13 November 2013

My husband and I visited the Watergate on Friday night 25th October the last night of our stay in Port Douglas. The restaurant was busy and we didn't have a reservation but we were immediately made feel most welcome and were given a lovely table on the torch lit terrace. Our hostess had a lovely welcoming smile and was so enthusiastic about the specials on the menu that night. The menu was very varied and the meal was superb. Our server was very attentive and pleasant. We loved our time in Port Douglas and our dining experience here was the icing on the cake.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,074)

Reviewed 12 November 2013

beautiful meal and yet nice relaxing atmosphere. one of the only p;aces we visited that had anything different on the menu: we felt that most other places had a fairly generic offering.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
1  Thank gillianb710
Reviewed 8 November 2013 via mobile

We arrived in Port Douglas after a long day of flying and just needed someone to cook a good quality, but intimate meal, and the watergate certainly delivered.
We arrived to a bubbly welcome from the hostess, who showed us to our seat and introduced us to our waitress.

The prawn hot pot entrée was lovely, and enough to taste but not enough to be full, lucky because main was fabulous!

My partner had steak which was cooked beautifully and it had a good blend of textures.

I had the kangaroo which was cooked to perfection, on top of peas and spinach. I am normally not a fan of peas, but these were good!!! The side was a fetta and beetroot tart, which was delicious.

The surrounds were great, staff were attentive and the price matched the level of service received.

Will definitely return when in Port Douglas!

Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

Beautiful location. Staff are great. Food was amazing but portions were a little on the small side. Reef fish was unreal as was the duck breast

1  Thank morrsarah
Reviewed 3 November 2013

This is one of the few restaurants in Port Douglas that has a separate vegetarian menu. That plus all the good reviews here are what attracted me. What sold me was the great outdoor dining experience and the food. Watergate sits around the corner from the busy Macrossan street and overlooks a small city park. All the outdoor tables are covered by umbrellas and lined with torches making for a great look and feel. The view is pleasant as the park has a few gorgeous trees.
I ordered a very inventive salad and capellinni primavera. Both were very flavorful although the salad was drenched in dressing (should have asked fro it on the side).
The server was very nice and attentive when I first got there but madly rushing from table to table. By the time I was finished she was nowhere to be found. I think they need to hire at least one more waiter for this place. After 20 minutes of waiting I went up to the bar and requested my bill and paid it there.