“Comfortable and central”

Ranked #16 of 35 Hotels in Rockhampton
Byron Bay, Australia
“Comfortable and central”
Reviewed 23 August 2014

We stayed at Motel 98 on the way back from Bowen. The reviews were very accurate, the bed was very cosy, the restaurant was good, free WiFi, nice view to the courtyard. The staff were very friendly.
We had dinner at the restaurant which was good without excelling. We had a very young waitress who asked us what we wanted for our entree without having even seen the menu. The steaks were excellent but very pricey.

Room Tip: We had a corner room which meant that our balcony looked into next door's balcony. Ask for a non...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank RobertKaren

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Up in Rockhampton for the weekend with the family and had a great experience with Motel 98. The staff were very helpful and accommodating and for a family with two kids travelling it was greatly appreciated. The restaurant is superb with a great menu and I would go back just for that steak! Highly recommended, go for the food if nothing else and stay for the friendliness of the staff.

Room Tip: Family rooms are best downstairs.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Toowoomba
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Small friendly refurbished motel tucked in behind a large modern hotel on the river so access to the river and restaurants is very good. without the noise most motels offer in Rockhampton as they are on the main roads. The rooms face a nicely manicured tropical garden with a pool area. Bathrooms are well appointed with very good bench and storage space. Excellent lights for makeup and a decent hairdryer which is a rarity. Bedroom was large and comfortable with a very nice king bed. We appreciated the extra touches - the complimentary water, a tea compendium, some crockery and cutlery, microwave and toaster. Nothing was missed! Thank you Doogan and Verity.

Room Tip: Upstairs have balconies which would be a bit more private than downstairs where sliding security doo...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Susie19562013
Kingaroy, Australia
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I spent a lot of time looking for the best motel for our teams to stay in whilst attending a two day sport's carnival in Rockhampton. Motel 98 had it all - twin share room options, meal plans for large groups both at their restaurant and as pre-packed lunches, close to everything and a great pool for those tired legs at the end of the day. Doogan, Verity and their team were very helpful with all of the organisation right from the beginning through till the morning we left. The rooms were really comfortable and modern and the outdoor setting of the restaurant was a great way to end our busy days. I would definitely recommend it to groups looking for accommodation.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Melinda C
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I wasn't sure what to expect when I took the Wotif mystery deal. I wanted to stay at the Travelodge but they were booked so I read the description and the location made me think it might be the Travelodge so I took my chances and booked it. I have walked past this restaurant many times when I have stayed at the Travelodge but never ventured in to dine or thought of staying there. First impression turning up to check in - very friendly, welcoming and efficient. Asked if I could order from the restaurant as I didn't want to go out and needed a quiet night in and was told the full menu was available with winelist for room service - great! Next impression of accommodation - old style motel. Room - renovated but quality furnishings, quality sheets and towels to the quality of Holiday Inn but without the pillow menu and Toga hotels - it was very good. The room was well lit with good quality lighting at the bedside and on the office desk which was well sized for me to work at. Three was also a good sized but not too big round table and chairs to dine at and 1 nice comfy chair. To top off there was a generous balcony overlooking the pool and courtyard which I would definitely sit on in the warmer weather. I was very satisfied for the price. Bathroom was nice with a big rainforest showerhead - I prefer a handheld one with the ability to control the water pressure but had I been there on leisure I might have appreciated it more. Everything was very clean. Ordered the meal from the menu - very helpful staff member came from the kitchen and recommended the pork which was delicious and generously sized, I couldn't finish it. Wirra Wirra half red was a good size for me to drink solo and delicious and then I had room for cheese and a delicious chocolate desert and it was no trouble to order and then have the very friendly staff members bring it to my room. I did pig out but I hadn't eaten all day so I was pretty hungry and I didn't eat everything, I just picked the things I liked. As I was checking out before 7am they settled my bill for me on the night. I was happy with my stay and I would consider dining at the restaurant when I return with my husband and colleagues to Rocky and staying there again.

Room Tip: I think upstairs with the balcony in the winter and downstairs near the pool in the summer - ask for...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Hana B
Tewantin, Australia
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We spent one night here and loved the convenience of it to everything.The King size bed was so comfy and the whole room was very cosy with everything we needed.We went to the restaurant that night and the only thing to comment on was the lengthy time we had to wait for our meal.We know they were very busy but the wait was about an hour and we almost walked out.
The service and staff were nice though.We would definitely stay there again and recommend it.

Room Tip: All the rooms overlook the pool and are much the same Room 4
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Yvonne C
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I travel a lot for work and this hotel is up there with some of the best in regional Australia. Great King sized beds, nice new renovated bathrooms, rooms have a modern feel and are really comfortable. Great staff as well, very helpful and accommodating, but the best thing is location in Rockhampton, on the river, off the noisy highway, guaranteed a good nights sleep which is important when traveling for work. Great food too at the stand alone restaurant. Metro standard steakhouse in my opinion. Great value for money, I'll be back.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business