“Value for money for such a location” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Sands Holiday Apartments

The Sands Holiday Apartments
Brisbane, Queensland.
“Value for money for such a location”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2013

I would rather pay a little more for a little better quality.
It is cheaper than many other apartments in the area; but it is in a good convenient location and has all the facilities we needed.
Not sure we would book this one again.
They were not particularly friendly.
Good spot and excellent view of the coast line.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank KarinnaCraig

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013 via mobile

Before arrival I called up to find out if I had to pay a bond on arrival, I was informed that I did not then when I arrived I was told I owed $350 for bond. When I couldn't pay that the onsite manager told me she could reduce it to $200 but I had only budgeted for a short, cheap stay. She refunded my stay minus a commission fee from the booking company. When I called the booking company they informed me that she had no right to try and charge me $350 in the first place and that she doesn't get charged commission for canceling our reservation. She was very rude and I was close to tears (my romantic weekend just got ruined and then this lady was being horrible too).
The hotel had the smallest pool I'd ever seen and the office is only opened for a couple of hours everyday. It was old and dirty. I would not recommend these apartments to anyone. There are far better, cheaper hotels closer to Cavill.

• Stayed February 2013
4 Thank Teleseyeah
oceankade, Manager at The Sands Holiday Apartments, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
The guest has misunderstood that we do not take a bond it is a bank pre authorisation button on the eftpos machines which does a pre authorisation with their bank and no money is taken from their card. The apartments are all privately owned and it is like any hotel worldwide a pre authorisation of the credit card is taken for any breakages, loss of keys etc

The pre authorisation is with the guests bank and the use of the money is released by their bank to the guest automatically after a few working days. The guests must appreciate duty of care for the owners possessions.

It is unfortunate the guests feel that they would not be responsible for additional costs and to assist the couple I reduced to compromise when it was ascertained the guests were travelling with little funds.

I am surprised to the comments as I endeavoured to assist and compromise with their situation and the booking company was advised incorrectly in the explanation of the pre authorisation.

Travellers are raving about these Surfers Paradise hotels

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2013

great location.but very tired needs updating.big room with some of the best views.one block from cavill ave.need to bring your own beach towels,I think the so called witch may well be misunderstood,I think she may be sick of the young punks who yahoo all hours of the night.

Room Tip: stayed in ocean view.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank alfrompenrith
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2012

stayed a couple of days at the sands apartments,recently. great location with beautiful ocean views. room was very clean and comfortable bedding. manager very helpful with all my queries on where to go for dining and entertainment. Very good value for your money at these apartments.

Room Tip: ask for room with ocean view
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank 687john
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012

I had the unfortunate experience of staying here on Saturday night.
I should have known when I first called up with an enquiry and spoke to a lady on the phone with the worst manners ever and then when trying to book this night, found the whole way backwards by having to fax her your information.... Who uses faxed nowadays?!!!!!
Every single review on this website is 100% true about the site manager.... Named by myself as the pitbull!
On arrival, this woman was completely rude, had no manners what so ever, was aggressive in her speech, accused us of trying to sneek people in when a friend was visiting for an hour and offended me so badly that if it hadn't of been so late, I would have told her where to stick her apartment!!!!!!!!
It felt like a big brother experience as I was reminded about her 26 cameras that she has watching her guests!!!!
The room was ok although the bathroom taps wouldn't turn and the ceiling fan did not work.
On check out, she did not thank us for staying there, didn't have the decency to ask us how our stay there had been and when I told her about the rooms faults, she couldnt even apologise!!!!!!
Who ever owns these apartments needs to get this dragon out and before long, there will be no customers going there all because of one woman, appropriately named the pitbull.

• Stayed September 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Hpy-travels
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2012

Upon arrival at the sands where we had booked just for the night for 2 people in a one bedroom apartment we struggled to find our way in. There was no signage for people arriving late. When we managed to find our way into reception it was all closed up. We rang the site manager who advised the key was in the safe. We then went back down to the car park to get our bags. The site manager Lynn stopped te lift on the way back up asking what we were doing and said we parked in the wrong car park. My friend and I also had my cousin and his mate with us who were coming back to our apartment for a catch up the very rude Lynn treated us like we were criminals who were going to destroy the place and said she would be watching on her 26 cameras to make sure only the correct number of people were staying in the room. Her attitude stank! We wernt there to cause problems only to have a fun time and her aggressive, rude and accusing attitude completely wrecked the vibe of the place. We felt like we were being watched constantly by big brother. She probably has cameras set up in the rooms as well!!

The rooms were fairly clean but the outside table was dirty, the fan didn't work nore did the taps in the bathroom. Overall the stay would have been improved if Lynn was removed from the property.

• Stayed September 2012
5 Thank Adventure-seeker2012
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

Myself and three friends aged 18 - 21 years made a booking 4 months in advance for 11 nights. The day before we arrived we were advised the that the previous guest in our booked room didn't want to move out and we would have to take another room. Eh !! why wasn't this person told to move !!!!

While this was inconvenient, it became worse.We were escorted over a block away carrying our bags to a VERY sub-standard small and pokey room. We stayed there one night having to check in and out again before we could go to they room we booked that was satisfactory. OK was our first night to be free ? half price? were we given a gift, an apology or a taxi so we didn't need to walk NO WAY.

The attitude of the manager Lynne was baffling. We asked whether there would be any rebate and they were told no. A parent called upset at the treatment and was given Lynne's version of customer service - rude and off-handed - no refund or rebate. All through the pre-arrival and booking, she didn't answer all questions in emails, became irate when she was advised that none of us had a credit card for the security deposit. It is no wonder that we tell everyone at every opportunity to keep clear of Lynne and The Sands at Broadbeach.

Another parent called to follow up the security deposit they he provided and was initially told that everything was OK then when he asked for a rebate for the first night, Lynne became aggressive and all of a sudden the room was left dirty etc etc. Well, we took 32 photos of every part of the room to show how clean we left it, as we expected an argument about the deposit.

Room Tip: Make sure they don't make you walk over a block to another place.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends