“Super budget Stay without compromising location”
Review of Surfers City Motel

Surfers City Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Surfers Paradise
Surfers City Motel
Ranked #29 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We reach gold coast in the middle of the night. There wasn't any reception to attend to us instead they dropped us an email to go straight to the room and our keys are on the kitchen table.

There wasn't any security in the motel. And our room is merely a key and a knob to lock the room. Balcony is only a metal pin to hook onto a loop.

The room is filled with a weird sweet smell, smell like the detergent that they use to clean their sheets. The whole furniture seems like its been a long time that they have not been maintaining. All seems soo broken down. The bathroom has a window not tinted which I fear if anyone can peak into the bathroom without me noticing it since there wasn't any security.

Ventilation was terrible. Even though gold Coast wasnt warm 2weeks ago, we felt stuffy in the room.

The bed was really stiff. It seems like the bed is used for a long time, it feel like you are sleeping on the plank.

Laundry services is own time own target and bring your own washing powder.

Wifi is chargeable. We didnt even bother to use it.

However, if u are looking for value in money compared to the hotel right opposite the motel, please make do with this motel. Considering the location, it's still worth re-visiting but do not stay more than 3night. You prolly cannt get use to climbing up the stairs numbereous of times and withstand bring up and down your luaggage.

• Stayed: April 2012
4  Thank lynniewong
There are newer reviews for Surfers City Motel

Reviewed 15 March 2012

I was so sceptical as to whether we should stay here after all of the negative reviews. Im used to staying in 4-5 star hotels but was on a budget so stayed here.

It is definitely value for your money, of course its only 3 stars so theres nothing at all flash about it and the room was dated. But the amount that you spend is worth the value. The two men at the desk were awesome and helpful. The location is fantastic & a literal walk to everything, clubs too! It was a comfortable stay & would not be closed to the idea of staying again.

They obviously have taken some of your negative comments on board as the strange foreign lady who i saw briefly doesnt deal with customers anymore & the cleanliness has improved.

If you're on a budget & want to stay somewhere clean comfortable close to everything, dont hesitate to choose this motel.

• Stayed: March 2012
3  Thank Ruthieee
Reviewed 15 March 2012

- rude staff, the only nice person working there is a young man who helped with check in. "nina" the owner, is completely rude, who told me that I must not have a booking becuase it's not there, and believe me I would've walked out if I didn't. the lovely young man seemed to find my booking quite quickly.
- stench in room from the second i walked in the door, used half a can of spray which still didnt get rid of it
- location was good but it didn't make up for what you're about to read
- DIRTY filthy carpet, bed, bathroom everything you can think of
- a rug (which didn't match the carpet because what would), was put down and we later found that that is because there was a square of carpet missing in the corner of the room
- we were scared that we would get broken into as it was only a hinge that was stopping any break and enters so we had to move ALL out things into the car, and even then we were scared we would get broken into while we were asleep.
- clearly hasn't been cleaned or seen since last visit as we had HALF a roll of toilet paper
- people across from us were throwing beer bottle caps at me on the balcony simply because i was watching a movie on my ipad and they clearly are bogans, and they knew the owners very well because they had a lovelyt conversation in the middle of the night (very loudly)
- carpets were orange, smelly, dirty. probably hasn't been vaccumed since the 1960's, looked like big bird died and was skinned and thats where his fur went .
- bathroom had a STENCH that was unbearable
- only one out of three lights in the room were working
- didn't even bother turning on the tv, but we didn't even want to touch it incase it would blow up

Basically, worst $70 spent ever, I would have rather slept IN MY CAR, and it wouldn't have cost me that much, AND it would've been more comfortable.

Room Tip: dont choose a room here.....ever. sleep in your car, not joking not being over dramatic.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank hayley1211
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We went to Gold Coast during Chinese New Year holiday and it was also summer holiday in Australia so most nice and inexpensive hotels are either fully booked or need 5, 7 days minimum stay. We stayed 2 days only. I found many nice budget rooms but those accommodations refused to accept family with small kid. Despite negative reviews, I finally made the decision to book this motel and luckily I didn't regret it.
This motel located at a very strategic place and we can even see the beach from our room. It's also close to eating places and convenience store. The room is big and cool enough without AC. The most important thing, we can sleep on the bed. My kid can't stand the cool weather so he switched off the fan early in the morning. However, the receptionist (lady) had a very weird accent and we hardly understand what she was saying. The guy who work at night shift (however) is helpful and kind. We told him that microwave in our room was not functioning and he admit that they switch the good one from our room to another room. That's pretty lame for motel owner; need to put 'functional' electrical stuff, not just for display.
My kid liked the room since there was a colourful lighting game just opposite our room. Surprisingly, no noise came from that games place and parking lot in front of our room since that's my biggest fear when I booked this motel room. I will definitely stay here again in future, if I fail to find another decent room in Surfers Paradise.

Room Tip: I requested for less noisy room since this motel next to public parking. Surprisingly, it's not...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 February 2012

Ok,,the rates of this place (70-120 per night) is cheaper than most other places, but please do not even consider staying there. For us it started at check in. The lady in the reception was obviously high on something. We could not understand a word of what she was saying and she treated us like we should thank her for letting us stay there. Upon arriving in the room we discovered that the TV was not working and when we complained she called upon a very nice man who helped us out. We thought he worked there but was actually just another guest living a couple of doors down. The same man also helped us with toilet paper (no paper in a room that supposedly is ready for new guests?) as we did not want to speak to the lady again. At 1.30 AM Saturday morning we were brutally awaken by other guests fighting and keeping everybody else awake for hours. We tried several times to contact the management but after two hours we got help from the nice man again who eventually was able to contact the female manager on the phone. She arrived at 04.30 with her husband but did nothing. Later we saw her in the pool garden, obviously still sky high but she did nothing. Our second night was a true copy of the first. Guests in two different rooms was keeping everybody awake by shouting, smashing bottles and yet again the lady manager was NOT there to handle the situation. When she finally arrived at around 4.30AM she was again standing in the garden shouting profanities for all to hear. We believe the only reason she did not call the police is that she herself seemed so wasted they might have arrested her also. All in all this place is absolutely the worst place we have ever stayed. The place have no fire alarm or smoke detectors. The cabinets are falling apart and our bath room was filthy. No one had cleaned under the toilet seat and we found food in the microwave. However, the worst thing is that no one from the motel management is staying there to help out the guests during the night. The guests is just left alone.We do believe it is the law that they must have somebody there. The only thing we regret is that we did not call the police ourselves. That might have saved future guests a lot of trouble as the motel owner might have kicked the lady manager out the door. So if you ever have to stay in Surfers Paradise just pay the extra 30 bucks per night and stay elsewhere. It will be the best 30 dollars you ever spend.

We will never ever stay at Surfers City Motel again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Sydney K
Reviewed 15 January 2012

Very good location, you can walk to everything. The room and sheets were clean. Stayed there for 1 night, dont regret it would do it again if i had to. But not for 2or more nights.good undercover parking for free.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 13 January 2012

Not quite sure about all the negative reviews. I booked the place at the last minute and despite reading the reviews here before my arrival, was pleasantly surprised.
Sure, the room is stuck in 1975 but its got character, it's clean, has young clientele, is in a top location and has everything you need (balcony, tv, desk, shower, toilet, fridge, cupboard, linen, fresh towels, microwave, kitchenette...oh and a bed too!).

I've stayed at places like the Chevron, Sheraton Mirage and the Meriton World Tower so I know quality and taking the step down due to hotel availability and costs associated with the magic millions weekend didn't phase me.

Awesome value considering you're paying little more than you would for an F1 room but getting a lot more for it.

Highly recommended to people on a budget.

• Stayed: January 2012