“Back Again, can't beat location & friendly staff”

The Quarterdeck Surfers Paradise
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Back again to Surfers, and Quarterdeck. Had an apartment on the 4th floor this time. My apartment had recently been refurbished and was very lovely. Weather was fantastic as usual, so I could enjoy the beach and pool. Lazy days after a hectic few weeks travelling for work and before heading home to cold old Melbourne. Staff are always very helpful and friendly. Did a couple of mountain tours which I would highly recommend.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Susan E

Reviewed 5 April 2014

First of all the women at check inn tried to charge me $248 when I had already paid through agoda! Thankfully this was sorted out. I was met by the small dark and dingy lift which I took up to the 7th floor where my room was. As I exited the lift I was faced with the most disgusting smell I have ever smelled (like something had died and they had tried to cover it up with a cheap air freshener). As I opened my door my first thoughts were 'get me out of here'. It was so hot, the room also smelled (especially the kitchen) It was decorated in dolphin decor from the 1970's and I couldn't wait to leave. The room was spacious with a balcony which hadn't been cleaned since probably the 1970's either. The chair and table provided were too dirty to even sit on. I must say the bed itself wasn't too bad and my sheets were clean. The kitchen stank!! To the point where I would dread going in there to cook my dinner. It got to the stage I was running in and out of it just to get a drink from the fridge and having to hold my nose because if not I would have vomited. The couch in the living room was dusty as were the curtains. There was mould all over the walls and paint work or wallpaper was hanging off every corner. Due to the uncleanliness and appeal of the rooms this made me lose all faith that the swimming pool would be clean so I avoided it at all costs after one look. The tiles below looked dirty and I wasn't taking any chances. The lack of air conditioning in the rooms is an absolute joke. They really should get with the times. It is 2014 for god sake. I would never, ever, ever in a million step foot near this place again, and I will be recommending everyone to stay away. Do not waste your money on this place. It seems to me that they make all this money from people staying there yet they don't want to spend money to make it a nicer place for people to enjoy their holidays. The pictures on the internet are not an accurate potrayal of what this damp, mouldy, dirty and outdated place is like. Simply disgusting.

• Stayed: March 2014
5  Thank Wanderalone22
Reviewed 5 March 2014

Put away the white dust glove and just enjoy this accomodation for what it is, a good cheap honest place to stay in a great location. We stayed in apartment 91.The apartment was a really good size as older units tend to be. Sure there is a big building very close by, but no one stands and looks in each other's windows and there are blinds and curtains to pull if it really bothers you. Sure the decor is dated and some curtains a little dingy but a refurb will mean that it would be a lot more expensive to stay there. . The sheets and blankets were lovely and clean, and the pillows were great, we slept better than at home. Everything was there that we needed in the kitchen to make our dinner and there was a beautiful view of the beach from the balcony and kitchen windows, which is really what we were there to enjoy, not the gleam of our kitchen bench. The very reasonable price of $79 a night meant we could stay for 4 nights not just 3. The staff are lovely. It really reminded me of going to stay in someone's comfortable holiday home at the beach. Don't expect million dollar accomodation at this price. Be aware if you arrive after 12:30pm on Saturday and Sunday you will need to buzz on the intercom to get entry to the building.

Room Tip: Get a beach side room if you can, the views are great.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank brisfamily255068
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Good location, cheap compared to other places, everything you need to be self sufficient. Bedspread was either dirty or so old to look perpetually grimy, air con smelt as if you'd be breathing in some nasty mould spores, shower drain appeared blocked. We only came back to sleep so didn't bother us too much. Overall ok.

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank Alhmla
Reviewed 28 January 2014

It was the dirtiest bed I've ever slept. The apartment was all right. The linen was not clean and rags haven't been washed for a while. After this experience, I would never choose an apartment again. The location and price is OK. staff is just Ok.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jing M
Bryce H, Manager at The Quarterdeck Surfers Paradise, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dirty linen ??, it comes from a laundry and is fresh for all new guests

Reviewed 23 January 2014

Stayed here for a week.
The rooms are a little tired but the location is great right next to the beach.
Self contained gives the flexibility. The management were friendly and helpful. An inexpensive good getaway for a week.

Room Tip: better to try to get higher up no big diffrence between garden or sea views
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Stephen B
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I stayed there for a week with my partner. Our trip was basically to visit the theme worlds, so for a place to sleep and eat the Quarterdeck apartments were fine.
Almost everything about the apartment seemed like it hadn't been updated since the early 1980's when the place was built.
The pillows were rubbish but the couches were comfortable enough.
The views were beautiful (despite being interrupted by the mammoth apartment block sitting between this building and the beach). I had a magnificent view of the sunset and gorgeous skies over the oxen every evening we were there which was a real treat.
If I were going back to the Gold Coast I'd probably look to pay a little more for something more modern.

• Stayed: December 2013