“DISGUSTED ARROGANT MANAGERS DO NOT STAY HERE”
Review of Solaire Apartments

and 1 more site!
Solaire Apartments
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I had booked for 2 weeks with a possible 4 weeks and had confirmed on arrival we would be staying for 4 weeks. The day after we checked in I went straight down stairs to tell the managers that the apartment was filthy and needed some repairs. However the managers were nowhere to be found. The freezer had food in it from the previous guests, rubbish was found under the bed, the saucepans were dirty and burnt and the fold up bed they provided us was very uncomfortable due to the springs. They made us pay an extra $33 per night for a roll away bed we didn't use as my son in law slept on the couch. The smoke detector was pulled out of the roof and the main blind in the lounge room was broken and ripped off its rung eventually I found one of the managers 2 days later and he wrote down in his diary all the things that were wrong. A week later still nothing had been done in regards to the smoke alarm and blind so I went down again to see the managers, once again nobody there. I had told them I would clean the room as I was in there now. This place seemed to be run by the invisible man.
Well our worst nightmare came true at midnight on Saturday the 11th of January. With the lights all off bar one small roof light we settled in to watch a few movies when my daughter spotted smoke when she glanced up at the light. With everyone yelling FIRE, FIRE, we all raced through the apartment checking where the smoke was coming from. As we couldn't find it we quickly opened all the doors to be able to see we eventually found the dryer had caught fire inside the barrel of it. I called the managers 14 times on the phone numbers provided in the guest book and one of the numbers I rang says to call this mobile number in case of an emergency. I did that also and guess what? this number diverts to a message bank where nobody answers. To say I was mortified is an understatement. With 4 kids aged 17-21 all petrified I was trying to calm them down and I eventually put the fire out by wetting a towel and covering the vent in the dryer. Two of the kids fled to a friend’s house an hour and a half away while I and 2 others took it in turn to stay awake for the next 2 days too scared to sleep in case we had another fire. After getting no response for 2 days from the managers I headed straight down to reception to set the record straight on Monday morning. Like other posters here I found that they tried to blame us and didn't give a hoot about us or the fact had we been asleep we would all be dead as we couldn't smell the smoke. They called an electrician who verified the dryer was off at the time and it did start the fire. They then called an appliance man who took the dryer off the wall and opened it up, the whole inside of the dryer was burnt out and all the wiring had melted. This shut down their argument about us using the dryer and setting it on fire. My next step was obviously the fire brigade and now I wish I had of called them and let the managers cop the $1200 fire brigade bill. After all their arrogant, obnoxious, denials and appalling attitude we fled the apartment with nowhere to go. I told them I wanted compensation from them and was told it was a private apartment so they would contact the owners. On top of this they then said we were supposed to check out that day and yet I paid upfront for 2 weeks and we were overcharged. Then the big finale was" oh we don't have another booking for you for another 2 weeks and we are full". More lies as firstly I had booked for 4 weeks and they had it in their book and secondly I checked all of the last minute accommodation places online and found rooms for up to 2 weeks on 3 different websites.
I am taking further action on this matter and contacted the Surfers Paradise Police who are aware of the situation and are helping me. I have been waiting 2 weeks now and have not heard a peep out of them. Another guest who lives there also has trouble with his clothes dryer and he said there are others also and he has had no help from the managers either. If you value your life DO NOT STAY HERE please be warned.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank skyhooks1
SOLAIRE2006, Manager at Solaire Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

In response to this review, we would like to add that the guest did come through & complain about a few things on arrival but she said that she was just pointing them out to us as she had supplied a bond & didn't want to be charged for anything. She did not wish for anyone to go into the apartment & rectify things while she was there. The guest booked for 5 people & was advised of the extra bedding cost. The initial booking was for 13 nights & a confirmation e-mail was sent out with the dates, prior to her arrival but it wasn't until Monday the 13/1, the day of their check-out, 13 nights after her check-in, after we rang the guest to ask what time they were checking out, that she mentioned that she had booked for 14 nights. It was also, at this time that she mentioned the dryer & the fold up bed. She did not come down first thing Monday morning to advise about the dryer, as stated in her review. She also,showed us the number that she had called & we advised her straight away that the number she had first called had too many digits. It's very unfortunate that the message she did leave went to message bank but in all fairness, it was at 1am in the morning. We mentioned to her that if there was a fire she should have called the fire brigade first, as her safety was paramount. The dryer did not catch on fire but it was found that the capacitor was faulty. Every laundry has a sprinkler head so if there was a fire in the laundry, it would have been set off. There was no sign of any damage to the dryer from the outside & no smell of smoke in the apartment. Each foyer is also, equipped with an emergency fire button & a fire extinguisher. We also, have a phone number for the security patrol in the reception area but they were not called. The guests did not flee the apartment at all but did ask for 2 free nights when they were checking out. She said that 2 of her children were terrified of sleeping in the apartment & went to stay with their family in Coomera which is 20 minutes away from us, not an hour & a half, as stated. We had the electrician inspect the power point & an appliance person fix the dryer. They did ask for a 2 week extension when they were checking out but by then we were fully booked. The extended stay was not confirmed at any stage during their stay but yes, she did mention that she was thinking about extending. However, without the guest's confirming the extension, we are unable to hold accommodation, especially during the peak season. This was a complicated issue because when a guest states that they are terrified of staying in an apartment but are happy to stay if the accommodation was free, due to the dryer problems then it places us in awkward situation. If they had left due to the circumstances then we could justify it to the owner but to stay on & then ask for the money back leaves one in doubt.

The other thing that should be mentioned is that the apartment that they stayed in was a prize home from the RSL lotteries, so was fully renovated even though the building is only 6 years old.

There are newer reviews for Solaire Apartments

Reviewed 31 December 2013

Originally booked at Paradise Island Resort but only lasted a few hours as I could not stay there. Tried to look at other options and luckily we found the Solaire. The service was excelent considering we called on public holiday and after hours, they came to meet us and check us in. The apartment was spotless, clean and fairly newly furnished. A nice view , ample space and large balccony with views all around, and although not waterfront very close to the hub of Surfers Paradise. I know where we will be staying on our next visit to the Gold Coast.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank norbham
Reviewed 29 November 2013

My family and I have stayed at Solaire Apartments on several occasions and found not only the apartments to be delightful but have also found the staff to be the same. Solaire Apartments are located close to all shops and restaurants and night clubs so perfect for people who dont need the hassle of hiring a vehicle when on holidays. The apartments are quite modern and the views are great. Had a great experience each and every time and will continue to return in years to come.

Room Tip: If you enjoy your sleep ins, request a room wit black out blinds
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Greg S
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I stayed at Solaire Apartments in a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom apartment in October.

It is honestly the best value for money, you definitely get more than your monies worth.The apartment building is centrally located and the apartments are spacious.

Our apartment needed a little bit of maintenance as some of the furniture was shabby from wear and tear but apart from that everything was modern.

The staff are lovely and if we return to Gold Coast this will be the only place we stay!!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sarah W
Reviewed 28 August 2013

My family and I stayed at Solaire Apartments and were horrified at just how dirty and unclean and the lack of maintenance in the apartment. The only positive thing I can say about Solaire Apartments is the great location to all tourist attractions in Surfers. I responded to Solaire Apartments my concerns regarding their lack of basic cleaning and maintenance that one would expect upon arrival via email and also in their room survey. After nearly 2 months of waiting, no one at Solaire Apartments has contacted me. The bathroom overflow was black with grime and mold. A simple clean and wipe would have taken care of this. The bottom shower was just filthy. Again, the bottom of the shower door was black with grime and slime. I decided to look at the bedding because if I could visually see dirt and filth around the apartment my concern was how clean was the bedding. I was horrified when I notice that both of the single bedding mattress protectors were covered with yellow stains. This is only caused by bodily fluids. So, I washed both single bed mattress protectors in a hot wash. They looked cleaner. I was disgusted that Solaire Apartments do not adhere to basic health and hygiene standards in their cleaning practices. The cushions on the couch needed a wash as they were covered in stains and also looked filthy. Basic maintenance needed to be done around the apartment. The skirting boards in a few rooms looked as if they had been chewed by a dog! The dishwasher did not go, the towel wall hanger in one of the bathrooms fell off and the door stop had come away from the wall. Solaire Apartments were aware of their lack of basic cleaning and maintenance the day we checked out as we handed our rooms' survey that we filled out upon checkout. While we checked out, we were never asked about if we were happy with our stay. The person behind the desk just took our survey and that was that! When you book accommodation you want to know that what you will be sleeping in will be clean and unfortunately, I would not recommend Solaire Apartments!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Katrina S
SOLAIRE2006, Manager at Solaire Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Dear Katrina

We are very concerned that you had such an unhappy stay at Solaire. The feedback forms that we hand out to very guest is there for you to express your satisfaction or constructive criticism, so we can improve our service & standards. Every form is retained by us as a reference, so it is all taken very seriously. We do not usually respond to guests that hand in the feedback forms, unless they ask us to, as we respect the fact that they have chosen to write their feedback instead of expressing their concerns to us in person. We have done a search for e-mails under your name but have been unable to find anything. Please resend it to us at: solaire@email.com.

Kind regards
Solaire Management

Reviewed 13 August 2013

this apartments are spacious and have a very good location as you can get any where just by walking. i recommend this apartment to any families that need room for there children or if you have a big family. as the rooms are quite large with modern facilities. We are coming back to these apartments as we have been there last year. we had a great holiday there. As it has such a good value. The view from the balcony in lovely.

Room Tip: Rooms are very comfortable and spacious for anyone.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Claudia F
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We had a 2 bdm apartment, 2 nights on 16 floor. Not too noisy at night at this level, and enough going on in the daytime and early evening to keep my son entertained while watching adrenaline park etc. Lovely balcony, views of river and the sea. Very spacious, great kitchen, good laundry. Nice and safe walk at night into surfers- next to the police station and has a Chinese restaurant on ground floor and supermarket nearby. The car park provided was very handy. We used the heated pool everyday, and enjoyed small gym, spa and sauna. Excellent value. We had come to watch sporting event at TSS and it was a relaxing 30-40 min walk each way so very pleasant.
The only worry we had was finding our sleep walking son trying to open the bedroom window at night- which was level with his bed- frightening.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family