“Fantastic apartments, disappointing service”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Solaire Apartments

Solaire Apartments
Brisbane, Australia
“Fantastic apartments, disappointing service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2014

Absolutely loved the apartments, extremely concerned with the lack of service and attentiveness/care when a severe electrical safety issue was observed by myself (an electrician).

Due to a high cost on a weekend to obtain a serviceman the safety issue was ignored at a high electrical risk to the occupants of the building.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank Justo-23
SOLAIRE2006, Manager at Solaire Apartments, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
It's disappointing that this person has posted this review. It's true he did ring us on a Saturday evening to report a concern about the spa being electrically unsafe but what he was referring to was a crack in the signage that surrounds the button that is used to turn the spa on. This was not an electrical emergency hence we could not warrant calling out an electrician at 6pm on a Saturday just because the signage was aesthetically unappealing. Due to the nature of the call, we assumed that this person would post a review, so we took photos of the crack as proof that it was not an electrical emergency & have a report from our electrician, who has a major electrical company on the Gold Coast, to verify that the reviewer's claims were untrue. The crack signage has since been replaced but we would be more than happy to share the photos of the cracked signage & the report with anyone, so people can see that this reviewer's claims are totally unjustified.

Solaire Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Blacktown, New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2014

The apartments are located directly opposite the famous slingshot ride on the gold coast. Only a few minutes walk to the main beach and entertainment strip which has the night time markets and the aqua duck tour, ripleys believe it or not etc. Also close to supermarket and buses to take you to theme parks. The apartment had great views and was spacious. It had an indoor pool, spa and sauna which were always available and we never ran into other guests. The only downside was the decor and cleanliness, it was a bit outdated, furnishings showed wear and tear and the balcony was a bit dirty. We didnt really spend much time in our rooms with so much to do outside so wasnt really a big deal. Staff were friendly and accomodating. Would reccomend if your not fussy about decor and a bit of dirt as it is in prime location and a good price!

Room Tip: We stayed in a 2 bed apartment, we only had 2 adults and a child so only used 1 room. It was spaciou...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Moana M
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

Travelled here with my parents and son and booked into one of the two bedroomed appartements. The apartments are very spacious, air conditioned and the main bedroom is ensuite. Tastefully furnished . We had a problem with our kettle and it was sorted out quickly. Secure parking. Short stroll to shopping centre, beach, restaurants. Great location!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Gold Coast, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2014

I always choose to stay at Solaire when I holiday at the Gold Coast. The managers, Tony and Michelle are obliging and friendly. I had an apartment with stunning views of the sea and river. It was clean, everything works, with everything I need and perfect for home away from home. Being right in the middle of Surfers, it's so convenient and easy for exploring and long walks along the beach, shopping, restaurants, yacht and surf clubs and more. I always enjoy my stay at Solaire.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Byron Bay, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

We booked to stay at Solaire for 7 nights, with the intention of extending, as we were looking at buying accommodation on the Gold Coast. We ended up staying for 31/2 weeks & found everything very comfortable & it's handy to the supermarket & local restaurants. The indoor pool is good, especially when the weather is too hot to go to the beach. I liked the way the place is always quiet. The reception area is not crowded with tons of people & it's nice to be able to talk to the managers about the local area. Both the managers were very friendly & didn't push us into booking the 3 weeks upfront, especially when we didn't know how long it was going to take to find a house. I forgot to tell them that I was going to arrive late& so I was worried when I turned up & the office was closed but they had already arranged to leave my keys in the safe, so check-in was quick & done over the phone. We miss the excellent views that we had from our apartment & now that we are locals, probably won't be staying here again but we will recommend the place to our family.

Room Tip: Choose the side rooms, so you get the river & the ocean
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Melbourne
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2014

I had booked for 2 weeks with a possible 4 weeks and had confirmed on arrival we would be staying for 4 weeks. The day after we checked in I went straight down stairs to tell the managers that the apartment was filthy and needed some repairs. However the managers were nowhere to be found. The freezer had food in it from the previous guests, rubbish was found under the bed, the saucepans were dirty and burnt and the fold up bed they provided us was very uncomfortable due to the springs. They made us pay an extra $33 per night for a roll away bed we didn't use as my son in law slept on the couch. The smoke detector was pulled out of the roof and the main blind in the lounge room was broken and ripped off its rung eventually I found one of the managers 2 days later and he wrote down in his diary all the things that were wrong. A week later still nothing had been done in regards to the smoke alarm and blind so I went down again to see the managers, once again nobody there. I had told them I would clean the room as I was in there now. This place seemed to be run by the invisible man.
Well our worst nightmare came true at midnight on Saturday the 11th of January. With the lights all off bar one small roof light we settled in to watch a few movies when my daughter spotted smoke when she glanced up at the light. With everyone yelling FIRE, FIRE, we all raced through the apartment checking where the smoke was coming from. As we couldn't find it we quickly opened all the doors to be able to see we eventually found the dryer had caught fire inside the barrel of it. I called the managers 14 times on the phone numbers provided in the guest book and one of the numbers I rang says to call this mobile number in case of an emergency. I did that also and guess what? this number diverts to a message bank where nobody answers. To say I was mortified is an understatement. With 4 kids aged 17-21 all petrified I was trying to calm them down and I eventually put the fire out by wetting a towel and covering the vent in the dryer. Two of the kids fled to a friend’s house an hour and a half away while I and 2 others took it in turn to stay awake for the next 2 days too scared to sleep in case we had another fire. After getting no response for 2 days from the managers I headed straight down to reception to set the record straight on Monday morning. Like other posters here I found that they tried to blame us and didn't give a hoot about us or the fact had we been asleep we would all be dead as we couldn't smell the smoke. They called an electrician who verified the dryer was off at the time and it did start the fire. They then called an appliance man who took the dryer off the wall and opened it up, the whole inside of the dryer was burnt out and all the wiring had melted. This shut down their argument about us using the dryer and setting it on fire. My next step was obviously the fire brigade and now I wish I had of called them and let the managers cop the $1200 fire brigade bill. After all their arrogant, obnoxious, denials and appalling attitude we fled the apartment with nowhere to go. I told them I wanted compensation from them and was told it was a private apartment so they would contact the owners. On top of this they then said we were supposed to check out that day and yet I paid upfront for 2 weeks and we were overcharged. Then the big finale was" oh we don't have another booking for you for another 2 weeks and we are full". More lies as firstly I had booked for 4 weeks and they had it in their book and secondly I checked all of the last minute accommodation places online and found rooms for up to 2 weeks on 3 different websites.
I am taking further action on this matter and contacted the Surfers Paradise Police who are aware of the situation and are helping me. I have been waiting 2 weeks now and have not heard a peep out of them. Another guest who lives there also has trouble with his clothes dryer and he said there are others also and he has had no help from the managers either. If you value your life DO NOT STAY HERE please be warned.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank skyhooks1
SOLAIRE2006, Manager at Solaire Apartments, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
In response to this review, we would like to add that the guest did come through & complain about a few things on arrival but she said that she was just pointing them out to us as she had supplied a bond & didn't want to be charged for anything. She did not wish for anyone to go into the apartment & rectify things while she was there. The guest booked for 5 people & was advised of the extra bedding cost. The initial booking was for 13 nights & a confirmation e-mail was sent out with the dates, prior to her arrival but it wasn't until Monday the 13/1, the day of their check-out, 13 nights after her check-in, after we rang the guest to ask what time they were checking out, that she mentioned that she had booked for 14 nights. It was also, at this time that she mentioned the dryer & the fold up bed. She did not come down first thing Monday morning to advise about the dryer, as stated in her review. She also,showed us the number that she had called & we advised her straight away that the number she had first called had too many digits. It's very unfortunate that the message she did leave went to message bank but in all fairness, it was at 1am in the morning. We mentioned to her that if there was a fire she should have called the fire brigade first, as her safety was paramount. The dryer did not catch on fire but it was found that the capacitor was faulty. Every laundry has a sprinkler head so if there was a fire in the laundry, it would have been set off. There was no sign of any damage to the dryer from the outside & no smell of smoke in the apartment. Each foyer is also, equipped with an emergency fire button & a fire extinguisher. We also, have a phone number for the security patrol in the reception area but they were not called. The guests did not flee the apartment at all but did ask for 2 free nights when they were checking out. She said that 2 of her children were terrified of sleeping in the apartment & went to stay with their family in Coomera which is 20 minutes away from us, not an hour & a half, as stated. We had the electrician inspect the power point & an appliance person fix the dryer. They did ask for a 2 week extension when they were checking out but by then we were fully booked. The extended stay was not confirmed at any stage during their stay but yes, she did mention that she was thinking about extending. However, without the guest's confirming the extension, we are unable to hold accommodation, especially during the peak season. This was a complicated issue because when a guest states that they are terrified of staying in an apartment but are happy to stay if the accommodation was free, due to the dryer problems then it places us in awkward situation. If they had left due to the circumstances then we could justify it to the owner but to stay on & then ask for the money back leaves one in doubt.

The other thing that should be mentioned is that the apartment that they stayed in was a prize home from the RSL lotteries, so was fully renovated even though the building is only 6 years old.

sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013 via mobile

Originally booked at Paradise Island Resort but only lasted a few hours as I could not stay there. Tried to look at other options and luckily we found the Solaire. The service was excelent considering we called on public holiday and after hours, they came to meet us and check us in. The apartment was spotless, clean and fairly newly furnished. A nice view , ample space and large balccony with views all around, and although not waterfront very close to the hub of Surfers Paradise. I know where we will be staying on our next visit to the Gold Coast.

Stayed December 2013, travelled with family