Hubby and I fancied a weekend down the beach and ended up having a three night stay at Wyndham Surfers Paradise. From our arrival on a wet Thursday evening through until our departure on an equally wet Sunday morning, we enjoyed our stay despite the abysmal weather.
The first thing I have to say about Wyndham is how truly lovely and happy all the staff we encountered were. This really stood out to me - most hotel staff are efficient and pleasant, but the staff here just seemed to go beyond that with their smiles and genuine interest in each and every guest. This will be one of my lasting impressions and I highly commend Wyndham for the staff they chose and the training they provide.
Now onto the actual property. We had a lovely one-bedroom ocean facing apartment up on the 16th floor. It was perfect - spotlessly clean, a good sized kitchen with everything you need to cook up a storm for four people, a separate laundry with washer AND dryer, the dining/living area was spacious, the bedroom equally so and a bathroom with shower. Oh and a lovely long verandah to sit out and look at the ocean. The bed was comfortable and the television had a huge amount of channels to chose from.
The aircon was easy to use and worked very well, as did the shower - one of my pet hates is showers that are hard to regulate and only have a trickle. No problems with that at Wyndham. My only real complaint about the room was that there was no television in the bedroom - whilst I know that is not a biggie - we do enjoy a lie in on a weekend morning with a cup of tea and a bit of morning tv. Equally we quite like to watch a movie at night in bed - so for us, that was a bit of a disappointment. But certainly not a deal-breaker.
We dined in the hotel one morning to give their buffet brekkie a go - it wasn't big, but had what you needed - scrambled eggs, bacon, sausages, baked beans, hash browns, a small selection of pastries and cereal, some fruit and toast. At $12.50 (with the hotel $5 off discount we received) it was great value. However we only did eat there the one morning as it would be a bit repetitive to have the same thing every day - so we ventured out the other two days.
We also ate our first evening down in the Indian restaurant (Delhi Darba) at the bottom of the hotel - great food, thoroughly enjoyable and so convenient being right downstairs. The hotel itself is situated a block back from the beach - an easy walk and had a pool and spa (which we didn't use as the weather was so awful). It is also only a quick ten minute walk into Surfers and Cav Ave - we found it super convenient location-wise. There are also a number of great restaurants very close by.
The one issue that I will warn everyone about at the moment is that they are building a light rail system right through the middle of the Gold Coast. Indeed this is right out the front of this hotel and many others through Surfers. It's a real shame because there are big fences all over the place and we did find accessing the property on our arrival difficult due to the street closures. We also found on the Friday morning that work started early - about 7am and it was fairly obtrusive and noisy. On the weekend it started a little later - around 8am - but be warned if you are after a lazy holiday with sleep-ins you might want to rethink your hotel choice (and as I said not just Wyndham, you need to look at any hotel along the route where the rail is being installed). I would imagine this will be lasting for many many months and it is a real problem I would imagine for many businesses in the area. It also ran throughout the day - so again if you want to be in your apartment a lot and want some peace and quiet - not the place for you at the moment.
Otherwise I would highly recommend Wyndham and we may well return again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Wyndham Surfers Paradise is ideally positioned to explore the brilliant attractions the Gold Coast has to offer.Built in 2009, the 17-storey hotel boasts a fresh, contemporary design. The deluxe, self-contained apartments have been stylishly appointed and offer magnificent views of the surrounding beaches and hinterland. All rooms include iPod docking stations and double glazed glass which assists with the sound and heat transfer for your convenience. Most rooms have Ocean or River and Hinterland views.The hotel has its own ground floor restaurant and cafe precinct and other facilities include an outdoor heated swimming pool and spa, BBQ and recreation deck. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ctrip TA, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, LateRooms, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Wyndham Surfers Paradise reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wyndham Surfers Paradise Hotel Surfers Paradise
- Wyndham Surfers Paradise Gold Coast, Australia