“Terrible service, could not even secure a reservation”

Hilton Surfers Paradise Hotel
Ranked #13 of 32 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Golden, Canada
“Terrible service, could not even secure a reservation”
Reviewed 30 December 2011

I contacted Hilton Surfers Paradise to book a room for my husband and I for one night. When contacting the hotel I was transferred through to their central reservations centre, which I now realise is in the Phillipines. On making the initial reservation the lady had difficulty understanding English and it took me over fifteen minutes to finalise my reservation. However, I was extremely happy as she informed me that I had secured the last room. The lady informed me that I would receive a confirmation email within five minutes. As I was concerned, due to her lack of English and the complexity of making a reservation, I checked my email to find that I had not received one. I immediately contacted the Hilton again and was informed by another sales consultatant that they had no record of my reservation but they had a room available for three times the amount ( in excess of $600 AUD). I requested to speak to a supervisor to be informed that there was not one available to the next day and that I would need to call back (still without a reservation). I proceeded to then contact the hotel directly to inform them of my problem to be informed that there would not be anyone available until the following day. For a hotel that has just opened you would think that they would be ensuring that their sales and marketing was of a very high standard. I would have loved to stay at the Hilton but could not even confirm a room due to the incompentent booking system they have in place. A total embarassment for the Hilton chain!! Thank goodness for the Marriott!!

Room Tip: Good luck if you can book one!!
3 Thank Victoria M
HiltonSP, General Manager at Hilton Surfers Paradise Hotel, responded to this review, 1 January 2012
Dear VictoriaM419

Thank you for taking the time to give me your feedback, I would like to apologise for the confusion with your reservation on this occasion, I have contacted our call centre to review what transpired and have put steps in place to ensure this will not happen again. I do hope you will give us the opportunity in the future to allow you to experience the Hilton Surfers Paradise. If you would like to discuss further please do not hesitate to contact my office directly.

Your Sincerely
David Kelly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (681)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Australia
Reviewed 29 December 2011

After a lot of umm'ing and ahhh'ing we booked 5 nights accommodation at Hilton Surfers Paradise for our honeymoon in a Relaxation Suite, as it is a brand new hotel (hotel rooms only opened in September) I think we set our expectations too high.

As previously mentioned in other reviews, there is no dedicated entrance to this hotel, our transport pulled up to just a door, and the car was still parked in the street! We got out of the car and collected all our bags before the staff member standing at the door came over.

Check in was somewhat smooth, but this was more due to confusion on our part, we had the money for bond however we unaware they would be freezing bond and the entire accommodation spend (which was over $2000). The front desk manager kindly organised for us to freeze $1500 and then come back in a couple of days to pay the rest.

We were then sent on our way to our room. Upon stepping out of the elevator, there was some confusion as to where our room was as its not very well signed, luckily we ran into a staff membe dropping off our bags who showed us the way - our room was tucked in a little corner!

Walking into our Relxation Suite, what a complete let down! Room was smaller and more dull than expected. Our lounge had three very uncomfortable chairs in it (definitely no relaxing happening on them), the Hilton website states "In your separate lounge, enjoy your 37-inch LCD TV" ... They must have missed our room with that, as we only had 1 TV in the bedroom.

Bed was nice. Bathroom was nice but not as "wow" as I was expecting. There was nothing on the balcony to sit on, therefore if you wanted to try enjoy the "view' (view is used very loosely as new developments are now blocking majority of it) you needed to stand or sit on the ground. Nespresso machine was a nice touch.

We were also not given our key to executive lounge on check in, and when we called down about it, we were told to come back down to reception to pick it up.

As we were paying over $400 a night for this room, we were very deflated so we organised to cut our trip short and checked out the next morning, only staying one night of the five. When we went down to make the changes, the girl on the desk offered to show us other room types, however as we had booked the highest hotel room catergory, anything else would have been a downgrade, we declined and she advised that they would refund our bond back in cash on check out. I double checked with her on that as that seemed a bit odd to me. They also offered to find us another hotel.

We went down to check out the next day, and it took about half hour - forty five minutes to depart as the girl from the night before shouldn't have said we could get cash as they didn't have that much cash available! Considering the circumstances of our departure, they made an exception and went looking for the money.

All in all, the staff were very friendly and helpful however the room was a major let down for what we were paying. I imagine the other entry level rooms would be lovely though. I don't think we will go back again.

3 Thank JesskaTwo
HiltonSP, General Manager at Hilton Surfers Paradise Hotel, responded to this review, 4 January 2012
Dear JesskaTwo

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback and write a review on your recent stay and experience at the Hilton Surfers Paradise.

It is disappointing to hear that after much anticipation your expectations of the Hilton Surfers Paradise were not met.

I would be grateful if you could contact my office directly to discuss this feedback further and I would like to extend my apologies again that your brief experience was not enjoyable.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 28 December 2011

We booked a city view two bedroom apartment for 3 nights and were pleasantly surprised on check in to be upgraded to a ocean view residence on the 33rd floor. As the hotel is newly opened, the apartment was spotlessly clean and still had that newish feeling, very spacious, great for the kids. Beds were extremely comfortable and the view was fantastic. Huge balcony. It did feel a touch like you were in an office block, the corridors out of the lifts didn't look finished and the hotel itself did lack a bit of warmth. The service was great, breakfast buffet was enjoyed by all. Concierge was ok, although had to google a very popular local restaurant for directions and looked at my sideways when i asked for an umbrella???

The pool area was a little small for the amount of rooms, couldnt imagine what it would be like at full occupancy. Cocktails were very good though. The food store is fantastic for light lunch and cheese, bread etc. Cant say enough about the Toby's Estate coffee, a real winner. Room service was also good.

We didn't have a problem with noise, as per other reviews. Request a room on the higher floors helps.

Overall, a great base for a Gold Coast holiday with kids.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Kikis71
Dear Kikis71

Thank you for your feedback and thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am happy to say you are one of many families who have enjoyed the Hotel over the festive season, great to hear you and the family enjoyed your break.

Your Sincerely
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed 27 December 2011

We arrived at the hotel to be greeted by very friendly staff at both concierge and front desk. Then we proceeded to our room which was amazing. We were fortunate enough to get a booking in eforea spa which was so luxurious, I had never felt so relaxed in my life. My partner and I dined at Salt grill where we had an amazing dinner, steak with truffle mash and dukkah carrots. The service there was very friendly and the team interacted with us which made us enjoy our experience all the much more. Prior to checking out we dined at the food store, the lamb salad and lasagne were amazing. Followed by the best banana bread I have ever had. I have already told a number of friends and family of my fantastic experience and hope that everyone gets a chance to feel relaxed and enjoy this 5 star hotel in Surfers. It is a breath of fresh air to have something so luxurious and pampering in surfers while still being a part of the youthful and fun energy.

Room Tip: Obviously the higher floors are nicer as they have a better view of the surrounds especially if you...
Dear Rachael D

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us at Hilton Surfers Paradise. It is great to hear that you really enjoyed eforea Spa, we have received a very positive response since its opening and I am delighted you enjoyed it. Thank you for passing on your feedback to your family and friends. I will ensure that your feedback is also passed on to the fantastic team we have here.

Thank you again and we look forward to welcoming you back in the New Year.

Sydney
Reviewed 27 December 2011

Have stayed here last week with my partner for our anniversary, and we had the best time ever. We really felt like we were living it up in luxury. We enjoyed cocktails by the pool, followed by dinner in Salt Grill (which was amazing!!), and then a night cap in Fix. Fix is another experience all together, where you can enjoy cocktails from another world... really worth while a visit.

Loved our room, which was a normal entry level room, which was very spacious. Lovely room amenities... can't remember the name, however they were great quality.

Next time I will check out the spa... we just ran out of time!

Would recommend this place to anyone! Check it out, and enjoy this beautiful hotel.

Dear Evelyn M,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at Hilton Surfers Paradise.

It is great to hear that on this special occasion you had such a wonderful experience. The Deck followed by Salt grill then FIX is certainly a night to remember and I am glad that you and your partner had a wonderful time.

Thank you for your review and I hope we get the opportunity to again show you the great Hilton service and style you experienced on your anniversary.

Sunshine Coast
Reviewed 27 December 2011

Stayed for just a single night to attend a work function. Great location - right in the middle of everything. Didn't notice the noise as per other reviews but we did have rather a good night out so perhaps this may be the reason I slept so well. Stayed in a King room which was lovely but nothing special. Nice view of the pool. Breakfast at Salt Grill was good - request your eggs from the chef as my companions found the scrambled eggs from the buffet a bit ordinary.

Now to the teething problems. Nowhere to pull up a vehicle at reception so you have to go straight into the carpark. Carpark is very poky, particularly the set-down area, and not a good first impression (even smelled a bit off). After checkout we were given a pass to exit the carpark. This didn't work and we were stuck in the carpark for quite soemtime. The emergency intercom was answered but then the person on the other end hung up - I'm not sure they could hear us. We were rescued by another guest who used their room key to help us exit the carpark. This happened to two of my workmates at separate times as well.

Lifts - definitely a case of the quick and the stuck. The doors close so fast my workmate was trapped in between them. The doors reopened once they'd given her a bit of a squeeze which was alarming. At another time we needed to use our room key to get the doors to open so we could get out - again a bit scary.

Signage - difficult to find the correct room for a meeting or function. You disembark the lifts on the meeting room floor and find a series of closed doors with a single electronic sign which, when we saw it, was advertising the restaurant. We felt a bit like "pick a door, any door" until we noticed the electronic sign change and to include the location of our function. No directions though so we wandered around until we found it - we teamed up with a few other guests along the way so it was a bit of a bonding experience.

Payment and security deposit - after breakfast we were presented with an account to sign which was odd given that this was included with our room. Other guests were being crossed off a list. Sure enough the breakfast charge appeared on our bill. My colleague had checked out beofre us and found this with their bill as well. Ours was credited after some discussion and we then managed to checkout... then we spent 20 mins trying to get out of the carpark (see above). I'm not surprised that more than ten days after our stay I'm still waiting for the security deposit to be credited back to my account.

I'm sure it will all come together.

Room Tip: Lots of twin rooms - be specific when booking.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Dear Coasties99,
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback on your recent stay at Hilton Surfers Paradise.

I appreciate your feedback on the specific difficulties you encountered during your stay and have followed this up with the relevant departments to ensure that our operations provide better ease of access to our facilities for all guests, we continue to endeavour to improve all services in the Hotel and we hope that you will one day again give us the opportunity to show you the great service of the Hilton. We often receive positive comments on the location of the Hotel and I am glad that you found this also to your liking.

Thank you for your continued support and we look forward to Welcoming you back to the Hilton.

Hilton Surfers Paradise.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 December 2011

We're still here at Hilton Surfers Paradise we checked in on boxing day. Check in was quite quick but what we hated the most was that we were told by the receptionist because we got a discounted room so we had to use our credit card for bond. We didn't need to be told because normally we'll use our credit card for bond anyways. That was so rude.

Second problem was we were given a disable room which the bathroom shower was set for disable person which pretty much means huge space with no water stoppage so when you shower water pretty much covers the floor & so much cleaning afterwards. So what we see is don't bother paying for a discounted room because they'll put you in a disable room.

Third issue was toilet was never cleaned from the last tenant. It was disgusting. Why didn't the housekeeper clean it? Isn't that their duty? This is not a good impression for a 5 star hotel with a good reputation.

We would like to see more improvements & we never had any problems with other Hilton hotels or apartments. So sad that Hilton surfers treats their Hilton loyal customers so bad!

Really disappointed.

• Stayed December 2011
5 Thank MeLuvHolidays
Dear Guccibabe,

I apologise that your experience of the Surfers Paradise Hilton did not meet your expectations. We have a great variety of different room types and aim to cater to all our guest needs whilst maintain the great Hilton style and service. I sincerely hope that despite the disappointments you had during your stay you found the remainder of the facilities to your liking.

Should you wish to discuss your feedback further please don’t hesitate to contact my office directly.

General Manager.