“Nothing to commend it;there are better places”

Hilton Surfers Paradise Hotel
Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Australia
“Nothing to commend it;there are better places”
Reviewed 30 May 2012

My husband and I stayed one night , a Saturday ,for a weekend conference.

Negotiating the carpark was the first obstacle. Not easy.

Check in was very slow even with 2 staff and not many guests waiting.The check in desk is small .

Our room was on the fourth floor, facing south, looking over the lap pool( 40metres long!) on the second level which is beautiful.We didn't hear noise from the night clubs below probably because of overlooking the pool rather than the street.There is also a small indoor pool.

The corridor from the lift to the room was very small, dark and dingy with dark brown wallpaper(badly scratched) and dark brown paint.

We had a standard room with a very comfortable king sized bed.There was no bath and the shower had an unusual arrangement where you couldn't reach the shower control when you were standing under the shower.It was more than a metre away.

Only 12 months old and everything clean and new apart from an obvious spill on the carpet that hadn't been attended to.

The conference facilities were quite good.

I don't think I'll be going back.

Room Tip: A high floor to escape the street noise, on the south side, overlooking the lap pool.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
HiltonSP, General Manager at Hilton Surfers Paradise Hotel, responded to this review, 4 June 2012
Dear Australiafrancophile,

Thank you for taking time out to provide feedback on your recent stay at Hilton Surfers Paradise.

I am happy to hear you enjoyed your room and the wonderful view over our unique pool area. We do receive many comments about our Hilton King beds and how they contribute to a relaxing night’s sleep.

Regarding your comments on the car park and front desk area, I appreciate your feedback as we always strive to improve the guest experience.

If you wish to discuss any of your feedback further please don't hesitate to contact my office directly.

Thank you again.

David Kelly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (687)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 28 May 2012

As far as hotel rooms go, this was nothing special at all. In fact we were on the 7th floor facing the Hinterland and at night you can hear all the craziness of Surfers below. The bedrooms were also right next to each other giving you zero privacy.

The hotel is positioned perfectly if you want an extremely short stagger home from the clubs, but I would give it a miss if it is a nice relaxing beach unit you are after. And be warned, the swipe keys break and don't let you into the building. Not ideal at 2am in the middle of winter.

The positive for the Hilton is the pool area. The area is unique and beautiful. The staff at the pool bar were very attentive and the cocktails are actually really delicious. The cocktail bar is also a unique experience - do yourself a favour and give the $70 liquid nitrogen punch bowl a try!

Overall, I am pleased I tried it, but am thankful I got it cheap and didn't pay the outrageous list prices. I am also glad that I actually managed to find my way out of the car park- it was a rabbit warren!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank FoodKarma
HiltonSP, General Manager at Hilton Surfers Paradise Hotel, responded to this review, 31 May 2012
Dear FoodKarma,

Thank you for taking the time out to provide feedback on your recent stay at Hilton Surfers Paradise.

We are currently working with local authorities to find a way to minimize the noise around our hotel and in this instance I do apologise for the disturbance.

I appreciate your positive comments about our pool area and glad you made the time to enjoy this unique set up and of course some relaxation whilst here.

I am glad you had the opportunity to experience FIX Cocktail Bar where the wonderful menu is created by renowened mixologist Grant Collins.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Surfers Paradise.

Brisbane
Reviewed 27 May 2012

Having read the reviews we decided not to go for an extra night prior to a conferance and so arrived fearing the worst. Bad reception? Not at all. Joseph was so helpful, we arrived at 9 am and were given a 2 bed apartment on 28th floor. Way above expectations. Fantastic view over the sea, huge, clean area , most comfortable bed ever slept in. Pillows that you could take home.
Car parloing was $10 for the stay which is not unreasonable. Found the entrance easily, unlike other reviewers. Big blue P sign as you drive down Orchid avenue. Its one way so plenty of time to look and easy to turn left into.
Noise? Well yes it is in the noisiest part of the coast so even with triple glazing I am sure club noise could be a problem.That is part of being on the coast. But then we slept really well being so high up.
Security? Really good with the lift requiring use of your room key to enter a floor number.
Food : We had the degustation dinner as part of the conferance package... well worth trying.
Overall, I know we we so lucky to have an upgrade and cannot really write a hotel room report but the staff were very helpful,the place clean and secure and very quiet upstairs....Thank you Hilton Hotels.
PS Have you noticed how David Kelly (Manager) reads these reviews and actually comments on them. Well done David. He cares about the reputation.

Room Tip: I dont know how you get an upgrade...it just happened.
DearRufusBrisbane,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at Hilton Surfers Paradise.

Firstly I am very happy to hear that we exceeded your expectations and you had a chance to experience the hotel facilities for yourself.

I get a lot of comments on how comfortable our Hilton beds are and glad to hear this was no exception.

I appreciate all the wonderful feedback you had for our staff members and I will be sure to pass these on to the team.

Lastly I am glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay and enjoyed the facilities the Hotel has to offer, including dining in Salt Grill by Luke Mangan.

I do appreciate your positive feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Surfers Paradise in the future.

Gold Coast
Reviewed 26 May 2012

Very disappointed with this 5 star Hotel. The person that designed the parking had no idea. The swipes to the building kept blocking us out. When we went back to reception the girl said there must be something wrong with your swipe. But after talking to other people they were all having difficulty with theirs as well. There was a pink/reddish stain in the carpet. Rooms okay. No view much just looking down on a Condom Kingdom. Could hear noise from the 14th floor from the night clubs and walkers by. I felt in an unsafe area. Not for the older person. If you are a teenager and want to club maybe. Went to the Salt restaurant at 10.00 pm and they were just closing up and staff too lazy to get us something which was disappointing. Brekky was okay.
The only thing I could say was perfect the staff were really well trained and excelled. Loved the girls at reception's uniform.

Room Tip: Go further down the Coast if you want a quieter time ie Broadbeach is more upmarket.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
HiltonSP, General Manager at Hilton Surfers Paradise Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2012
Dear Veryhappy75,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay at Hilton Surfers Paradise.

Regarding your comments on the car park, I do appreciate your feedback as we always strive to improve the guest experience and I apologise on this instance it was not to your expectations.

We are currently working closely with local authorities to maximise enjoyable guest stays and I apologise on this occurrence you where disturbed by the noise.

I do appreciate your wonderful comments about our well trained staff and will be sure to pass these on.

If you wish to discuss any of the points in your feedback, in further detail please do not hesitate to contact my office directly.

Reviewed 24 May 2012

I stayed at the Hilton Surfers Paradise last night. I am a Silver member. I was positioned on the fifth floor, right above Cavill Avenue. What a joy to hear the booming sounds of the niteclubs below me vibrating all the way through my pillow and into my ear. At 12.30am I finally gave in and called reception to ask if they knew what time the sounds of the party below might be ceasing. 3am was the reply. Whoa, no sleep for me tonight. Happily I was offered a room move which I most graciously accepted, and to the hotels credit a concierge was dispatched immediately to take me to my new room up on the 10th floor. What a pity the sounds of the bass below could still be heard way up on the 10th floor. Absolutely knackered by now, I fell asleep regardless, only to be awoken by the sound of drilling at 8am. There was construction/maintenance work on Level 10. Oh the joy, well I may as well get up and wait for my room service breakfast. No wait thats not going to plan either, looks like the concierge didnt change my order over from the other room despite these being our final words the night before. I like staying at Hilton Hotels but I would be hard pressed to want to stay at the Hilton Surfers Paradise again unless I could be guaranteed a room up somewhere high on the quieter side of the building....if there is such a thing.

Dear iServiceOZ,

I am happy to hear the staff were accommodating with your room change and the concierge was immediately able to assist you. We are currently working with local authorities to reduce the outside noise as quickly and as best we can.

Should you wish to discuss any of your issues further please do not hesitate to contact my office directly and I would be glad to discuss your experience with you in detail and how we could have made your stay more enjoyable.

General Manger
Reviewed 19 May 2012 via mobile

Great views over the beach, ocean and inland. Good sized room and nice pool area. The restaurant was ok, very quiet the Sunday night.
The corporate club floor (lounge) made it very good value for money and perfect for meetings and social catch up in the evening.
We will be back

• Stayed March 2012
HiltonSP, General Manager at Hilton Surfers Paradise Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2012
Dear AgentMelbourne,

I am glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay and enjoyed the facilities the Hotel has to offer. We receive a number of comments on the convenience of the location and the relaxing views.

I appreciate the wonderful comments about our Executive Lounge and happy you had the opportunity to experience it.

Overall we thank you for the positive feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Surfers Paradise in the future.

Regards,
Reviewed 17 May 2012

Good

-location is right in the heart of surfers paradise, walking distance to pubs and clubs
-rooms are new

Bad

-all hotel rooms are too low on the tower so you hear club and street noise unitl 2am
-parking is an extra charge ($15 per day)
-wireless was so bad I used my 3G phone instead
-my room was way too small
-crazy expensive ($250+ per night for a shoebox)
-they messed up my Hilton status when I checked in but could not upgrade my room when I corrected them.

Room Tip: The rooms at Q1 are not as nice, but I found them better value for money as they were cheaper and hi...
3 Thank PaulusUnplugged
HiltonSP, General Manager at Hilton Surfers Paradise Hotel, responded to this review, 17 May 2012
Dear PaulusUnplugged,
I appreciate your feedback. We do our upmost to cater to all guests and it is disappointing to note in this instance we did not live up to your expectations. We do aim to work closely with local authorities to maximise enjoyable guest stays and I apologise on this occurrence you where disturbed by the noise.

Should you wish to discuss your feedback further, please do not hesitate to contact my office directly and I would be glad for the opportunity to discuss your experience with you in detail and how we could have made your stay enjoyable.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Regards,