“Angela ALMOST saved the day”

Hilton Surfers Paradise Hotel
Ranked #12 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Melbourne, Australia
“Angela ALMOST saved the day”
Reviewed 4 October 2012

My first experience was trying to get a price match for a room that was $50 cheaper on one of the discount hotel sites. A call to the hotel resulted in – “I’ll put you through to reservations”. After 10 or so minutes of listening to the phone ring I hung up and booked on the discount site.

My room was a pretty standard modern hotel room. A trip to the bathroom revealed that there was no soap supplied so I tried to call reception to arrange some. The phone was dead.

I headed to the minibar for a soft drink – only to find the cupboard (or in this case the fridge) was bare. Apparently I missed the sign that said I needed to request it to be filled.

A visit to reception resulted in Angela, the front office manager, changing my room to a very nice relaxation room. Unfortunately it came without a facecloth but a hand towel did the job. (Who can make this stuff up!)

It’s a nice property but staff training seems to be an issue. The front office managers I dealt with were good.

I attended a business function in the ballroom and the facilities and catering were superb and
dinner in Salt Restaurant was excellent.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank AussieStrategist
HiltonSP, General Manager at Hilton Surfers Paradise Hotel, responded to this review, 9 October 2012
Dear AussieStrategist,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Hilton Surfers Paradise.

I am happy to hear your business function was superb and you enjoyed the catering, including your experience at Salt Grill by Luke Mangan.

I understand your frustration in regards to the reservations system and I assure you this is something we are looking into. The Mini Bar concept is something we are trialling and I do appreciate your feedback.

I do hope we can welcome you back to Hilton Surfers Paradise soon.

David Kelly

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (698)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 3 October 2012

Having stayed at many 5 star hotels, I can safely say this isn't one of them. Quality of the fittings in our 3 bedroom family residence were just average at best, and the hotel felt anything but new. The most appaling aspect of our 5 day stay was the rubbish that pilled up out front of our room door which was a collection of the garbage from each of the rooms on our floor each day. I just don't understand how Hilton think it is acceptable for rubbish to pile up and a stench waft across the entire floor. We were on the 16th floor but still not far enough away from the noise which was loud enough to wake us during the night. Pillows were nice, the bed comfy and everything in Surfers within walking distance; but we will not stay at the Hilton again in the future.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Shane B
HiltonSP, General Manager at Hilton Surfers Paradise Hotel, responded to this review, 10 October 2012
Dear Shane B,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Hilton Surfers Paradise.

From time to time we receive comments on our rooms and as you can appreciate the style is not to everyone’s taste.

I understand your frustration in regards to the garbage on each floor and I agree with you this is not up to Hilton's 5 star standard, it is something I will definitely be following up.

On a positive note I am happy to hear you enjoyed your comfortable bed and pillows and found the location easy access to everything in Surfers Paradise.

Once again thank you for your feedback as it's all important to us.

Reviewed 2 October 2012

Maybe if you get a room on the higher floors, you might be far away enough from the noise but I will never risk it again. Will never stay near Orchid or Cavill Ave again.

We had a 4th floor room in the tall tower for 2 nights on the long weekend. We should have left after the first night which was the Saturday night when i finally crashed from exhaustion at 3am. I thought the noise might be less on the Sunday night and exhausted from the previous night, I did manage to sleep early. But then woke at 2am from the noise which didn't stop until 5am. And like other reviews, it was doof, doof, doof ALL night.

The room decor was average. NOWHERE to hang wet togs. Had a balcony but no chairs on it. No extra string in the bathroom.

Phone rang out when trying to call reception or Magic. Had to use my own mobile to call them.

Wasn't asked if we enjoyed our stay, probably because they knew we had the worst room or probably because of the heaps of other people lining up to check out. Checkin was the same though I did appreciate the face painter for my child.

The pools were very nice. Nice view of them from our room at night especially.

But will never stay here or anywhere near here again.

• Stayed October 2012
4 Thank brisbanite23
Dear brisbanite23,

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Hilton Surfers Paradise.

We do receive comments from time to time in regards to the noise and we are working closely with local authorities to maximise enjoyable guest stays and I apologise on this occurrence you where disturbed by the noise.

I understand your frustration with the phones and the check out process and I agree this is not up to Hilton standard.

We do appreciate your feedback and take it all on bored to further help us improve as a hotel.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 2 October 2012

We were looking forward to our weekend at the Gold Coast, but it was a little disappointing.
To begin with the car park was quite confusing, although it did have signs it was still quite easy to get lost. Once we got to reception there was quite a wait to check in, but the staff were very friendly and helpful. The room we had was clean and modern, but quite small. We had some ocean views, but there were no chairs on the balcony to enjoy it. There was a fair bit of noise at night from the clubs downstairs, but i guess you need to expect that with it's position. We did however really enjoyed the Fix bar, it had a great range of cocktails and staff were fantastic.
All in all it was an average stay and we expected far better for a hilton, i don't think we will be back.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Liss1989
Dear Liss1989,

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent stay at Hilton Surfers Paradise.

I appreciate your comments on the car park and I understand the design can be a little confusing sometimes, I do apologise in this instance you were affected.

It's great to hear you enjoyed your room and found it clean and modern; also our staff were friendly and helpful.

Fix bar is a fantastic concept and they do an amazing job with the cocktails and I am happy to hear you enjoyed the experience.

I hope we can welcome you back to Hilton Surfers Paradise again.

Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 29 September 2012

Excellent location, friendly staff, convenient parking. The room was modern and spacious, though there was mould in the shower. The pillows are amazing! Breakfast buffet was good. The pool was lovely,we also had a part ocean view room with a balcony, but there was no chairs outside so we couldn't fully appreciate the view. We got an excellent deal through wotif.com, we would not have stayed there otherwise as it is very overpriced.

Room Tip: An ocean view room on a higher level is definitely worth it.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
HiltonSP, General Manager at Hilton Surfers Paradise Hotel, responded to this review, 2 October 2012
Dear Toowoomba_12,

I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. The location is very convenient including the secure parking.

Our pool area is very unique and it's great you got the time to experience it and enjoy some sunshine.

Thank you again for your feedback we take it all very seriously and strive to improve the hotel. I hope we can welcome you back to Hilton Surfers Paradise very soon.

Sydney
Reviewed 28 September 2012

Whoever planned this place wants shooting. The pool is entirely blocked and crowded by the other towers around, leaving an horrendous wind chamber and almost no sunlight. And - our "ocean view" room has uninterrupted vistas ... apart from the enormous Soul tower slap bang in the middle of it! I'm sure the views from there are lovely. Also - pool and spa area has no showers, and feels like a public baths - not a Hilton at all.

The list goes on, (very little service around and we had to ask twice for our room to even be serviced) - but frankly its the design of the place that is fundamentally flawed. How on earth have the Hilton put their name to this? I'm a Hilton Honours member but this place really makes me question the brand.

• Stayed September 2012
4 Thank DPSydney
HiltonSP, General Manager at Hilton Surfers Paradise Hotel, responded to this review, 8 October 2012
Dear DPSydney,

We are sorry the hotel was not what you expected.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 September 2012

I just came back from a 4 night stay at the Hilton Surfers Paradise Residences. My family and I were absolutely delighted with our room and the friendly service from all the Hilton staff.

Upon arrival we were immediately greeted by the concierge who took our bags. We arrived early in the day and the manager personally did her best to get us in our room as soon as it was possible. She was delightful, friendly and made a point of engaging our children giving them cute soft toys and a special Hilton kids pack.

We were able to get into our room after lunch and were absolutely floored by the view. We were on the top floor of the residences tower (floor 32, room 13201). We had paid to upgrade to a higher floor (an extra $49 per night) and to my mind it was well worth it. There was absolutely no issue with noise and the floor to ceiling windows provided views from every single room (yes including both bathrooms).

The rooms are furnished with modern, no fuss furniture that suited our taste perfectly. The rooms were serviced to a high standard daily and the nightly turndown with chocolates was a nice touch.

The concierge was very helpful with all our bookings and needs during our stay.

The buffet breakfast was plentiful and tasty. The chefs are happy to whip up eggs, waffles, french toast and pancakes to order. The Asian choices were interesting!

Location wise, it was perfect, right in the heart of all the action, though right now Cavil Avenue is being ripped up and turned into rubble (certainly not the hotel's fault).

Overall I was extremely happy with my stay here and would not hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: Upgrading to a higher floor is worth it. Room 13201 was absolutely breathtaking. Many staff commente...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Dear Kristy K,

It's wonderful to hear your stay exceeded all your expectations and you had an amazing time with the family.

I appreciate the comments about our fantastic concierge team and will be sure to pass these on.

32nd floor you couldn't get any higher and I have to agree with you the view is sensational. Salt Grill have a tasty breakfast and I am happy to hear you had the opportunity to taste everything.

Location is a big plus for families as you have everything at your fingertips.

Thank you again for the positive feedback and I look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Surfers Paradise very soon.