“Excellent Service”

Hilton Surfers Paradise
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Reviewed 29 September 2013

We had a terrific stay at the Hilton. It is a quiet oasis in the bustle of Surfer's. The location is ideal to walk everywhere including many restaurants and activities. The view from our 14th floor room was outstanding. We didn't experience the noise issues that other reviewers have referenced. We found the service at Salt during breakfast to be exceptional. The food variety and quality were also outstanding. If the hustle and bustle of Surfers Paradise is what you seek, you can't go wrong staying at the Hilton.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
CPHSP, General Manager at Hilton Surfers Paradise, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

Dear Popovova,

Thank you for posting your review, I appreciate your feedback.

I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and thank you for your kind words regarding breakfast and views.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Surfers Paradise and I hope we see you back on future travels.

Chris Partridge

Write a ReviewReviews (3,433)

Reviewed 29 September 2013

We paid in advance for a sky residence 2 bedroom apartment. When we checked in we were given a room on the 47th floor. With amazing ocean views and city views this hotel made our stay in the Gold Coast a luxurious and comfortable one. I would recommend the sky residence to anyone looking for a central location and comfort. The location of the hotel is what made our stay exciting a stroll away from the bustling streets cafes and beach there was always something to see and do.

• Stayed: September 2013
CPHSP, General Manager at Hilton Surfers Paradise, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Dear DeeAmosa,

Thank you for posting your review, I appreciate your feedback.

I was pleased to see you enjoyed your stay in a Sky Residence and found the location of Hilton Surfers Paradise Hotel and Residences ideal for your vacation on the Gold Coast.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you back in the future.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

The service of the Hotel is really bad. The front office staff are very poorly trained. There were no sense of positive feeling about the hotel....it was too dull. The room rate we paid was just not worth it

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
2  Thank Jay D

Dear Jay D,

Thank you for posting your review, we appreciate your feedback.

It was disappointing to see that you did not fully enjoy your stay at the hotel, I have noted your feedback regarding our Front Office team and am sorry that your expectations were not met.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Surfers Paradise, please do let me know should you decide to return so that I can ensure a more positive experience.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

Stayed overnight on Saturday as part of a conference I was attending there. Room was great, staff were very professional and helpful but that is where the positives end. Most of the day there was an extremely long queue for the reception desk with a Long wait for assistance. The design of the foyer, a long grey concrete corridor is crowded ,always seems grubby though it may not be and very difficult to see where the desk is tucked behind banks of lifts. Finding a car park was a similarly confusing and cramped experience. The room service meal was tasty ( an hours wait as warned). Bed was comfortable but sleep incredibly broken. Firstly not one but two fire alarms and then the sounds of people partying in the street and a nearby live band with the drummer banging away until 5 am. I am usually someone who can sleep thru a lot of noise but this was beyond a joke. I was on the fifth floor southern side. I do not know if other rooms are better. Got up early had a decent but crowded buffet breakfast and came home for a sleep. My advice ; stay somewhere else if you can especially Saturday night.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Promise59

Dear Promise59,

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback.

I was pleased to see that your conference went well and that you found our team friendly and professional. I am sorry that you were inconvenienced on your arrival with a delay for check-in and a busy car park.

I do apologise that surrounding noise and the false alarms disturbed your peace and quiet overnight.

Thank you for staying at Hilton Surfers Paradise and I do hope we may see you back for a future visit.

Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

We are frequent travellers and this hotel was just not designed for families. The staff have no time or patience for children. We were told we had to move rooms due to a plumbing issue at 3.30pm and our toddler was napping but at 3.41pm the house keeping manager wouldnt have a bar of it and demanded we "get out" immediately!! Then on check out our toddler fell rather ill and was vomiting and after asking reception for an extra hour to check out they advised that if we were to do this they would charge us an extra nights stay!! No compassion for families at all. Felt like a number not a guest. They must have to turn over guests quickly to stay profitable as there is no personal touch or friendliness.
The outdoor area was so windy and the indoor heated spa which is the only place for wee ones is so full of people you cant move in it. Also the outside partying at night keeps you awake.

For the MASSIVE tarriff I would recommend going elsewhere as it is just not family friendly.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Rubibne

Dear Rubibne,

Thank you for posting your review, I appreciate your feedback.

I was disappointed to see that the team were not sympathetic to your needs and apologise on their behalf. It is important that we meet the individual needs of all our guests and I am sorry we have not lived up to our own expectations in this regard.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Surfers Paradise, please do let me know should you decide to offer us another opportunity to show that we take your feedback seriously.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

What an amazing hotel, but best by far was the service at the Salt Grill restaurant during breakfast. We stayed there for a week and ate breakfast daily. Everyday was amazing! The staff were so friendly and always had a smile on their face. They attended to your every need, you never had to wait for anything. They were so quick and efficient. From Mark at door (who remembered us every time we walked in and greeted us with such a warm welcome) to the chefs in the kitchen (who made whatever it was my kids requested) and to Benja who provided the best table service and friendly conversation we have ever received from any hotel (he went out of his way to make sure that everything was perfect!!) From the moment you walk in you cannot fault any of the staff that work the buffet breakfast, they were amazing!!!

Dear lidia g,

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback.

I was very pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay and the breakfast team at Salt were able to leave you with such a positive impression. I know that they were delighted to see your feedback.

We hope to see you back at Hilton Surfers Paradise in the future.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

When you call this hilton in Surfers Paradise, you can hear a recording saying 'Indulge yourself in a new experience'... This was certainly the beginning of a very new experience for me.

Disclaimer:
This is going to be a very detailed review. Note that we all expect and value different things, hence I should state what what's of most value to me as a hotel guest. I really appreciate attention to detail in service experiences. I also am very anal when it comes to cleanliness. I love staff who simply get people - in other words, "brain-based friendliness". I am also not the type to complain. In fact, I'm not the type to write a bad review either. Sometimes I cannot be bothered, however I thought I'd share my experience with this particular hotel as I have stayed here twice already. The first time I booked at room at the hotel, but because the rooms lack character and are tiny in size, I opted for booking a 2-bedroom apartment for my second stay. I was also traveling with my mother during this trip so it made it more comfortable.

The Experience:

1) Hilton Surfers Paradise employs kids... I may be wrong but I felt that I was attended by hospitality students who simply haven't experienced a 5 star service themselves. I often wonder if their management allows them to be their own customers and makes them critique their own work? You may note that from my very detailed review, these Gen Y and not very thorough in their work.

2) Cleanliness is gone out the window
Restaurant staff do not take off plates frequently from the table. Note that there are also fruit flies (or similar)- a lot of them around. At one point there wasn't bircher muesli (which at the Hilton, it's a must to taste. They do an amazing job at this). The response I got, "sorry it's finished and we won't be doing any more". Later on, I asked my mother to also ask for some, and because it was more than one person asking, the Chef agreed to make a fresh one.

On our last day, the room service was half done. Literally half done. I could no longer hold the anger, and that is when called the manager to come upstairs to complain about the overall cleanliness of the place since we arrived. 3 people knocked on my room close to midnight - the duty manager, the maintenance guy and the cleaner. I made the cleaner wipe his hand on the surface of the cupboards and show me the amount of dust he collected in his hand (it was that bad). You could tell he was embarrassed. He just kept on looking down. Cutlery drawer was also dirty. One bathroom was cleaned, while the other one wasn't - they only changed amenities. The paper was still on the floor and the dishes were not done. Having said that, they did put chocolates on the bed as a sign of 'I was here to half clean your room'. Again, the message is - not thorough in their work.

3) Maintenance
I requested the newest bed possible (or less used) for my elderly mother who was traveling with me. Unfortunately, she has severe back problems and sciatica. Even though the hotel was established 2 years ago, having up to 2 people of different weight sleeping on a queen bed, day in day out, does wear out a bed a little faster. I know that hotel beds are more resistant, however we did have to change rooms and the beds were beds of the same age were much firmer (or probably less used).
The fridges in both rooms froze our food. We had to get a replacement for 2 items that completely froze
Message is: Read special requests in the booking prior to guest arrival. Check appliances and dust in an apartment before making the room available, especially knowing there is construction outside that this is something that needs deeper attention (Because construction work is not an excuse when you have the ability to clean everyday)

Management Response:

The STAR: A German lady sitting at the Executive Lounge. She took on board the feedback and offered to personally manage my reservations in future. I didn't have the heart to say no, and I took her card.

The rest: The night manager who came to the room organised to replace the food that got frozen. She also offered the cleaner services, but my mother was so agitated and tired, we just opted to go sleep (it was our last night anyway). The manager said she would speak to the general manager and sort me out in the morning.

Downstairs at check-out? "I'm so sorry Mr. XX, we hope to see you again in the future under different circumstances [insert smile]" - I just kept on thinking to myself... "Hmm... you think!?"

And for the record:
I have a Hilton HHonors gold membership, which I rarely use because I have had better experiences with Starwood (Westin). The membership, in theory, shouldn't really make much difference in the level of service because at the end of the day, Hilton advertises itself as a 5 star hotel for all, as opposed to for the few... and you pay it in the premium - regardless if the hotel has a promotional fare or not.

Remember the voiceover... "Indulge yourself in a new experience?"
You will definitely get one here!

Please rate this comment. I'm interested to know if it was helpful information.

By the way, if you are looking for BEST Hilton on earth, visit our neighbours in Queenstown New Zealand. They truly know what service excellence is. If you have a chance to stay there please do! The ambience of that hotel is much more refined. Breakfasts are also incredible. They even have a fresh juicer with tons of fruit in the morning for a great healthy start! Attention to detail is in their DNA.

7  Thank Colmillito
CPHSP, General Manager at Hilton Surfers Paradise, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2013

Dear Colmillito,

Thank you for posting your review, I appreciate your detailed feedback and apologise that your stay did not meet with expectations.

I will correspond directly with you to address your concerns and appreciate the time taken to outline your feedback represents an opportunity for the team and I to understand where we can do better.

Once again sincere apologies.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Surfers Paradise
2 mi away
Peppers Broadbeach
Peppers Broadbeach
#2 of 7 in Broadbeach

Been to Hilton Surfers Paradise? Share your experiences!