“Good and Bad”

Ranked #12 of 32 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Brisbane
“Good and Bad”
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

Was looking for a nice hotel on the GC for our anniversary, and was prepared to splash out for a nice sized room or suite. After searching through loads of hotels I settled for a suite room at the Hilton. Never stayed at a Hilton before, but assumed the brand would not let me down.
Check in was 3pm and we arrived 20 mins early. Our room was not ready yet, so we were invited to go to the executive room on the 15th floor for refreshments (included in price for 'executive' rooms). Breakfast, afternoon tea and tapas/drinks are served here, and it is a fantastic advantage. The food and drinks were great and the view was amazing.
However, our room was still not ready at 430pm which was very disappointing as we were only staying the night. Eventually at 5pm our 'suite' was ready. We were given a complimentary bottle of sparkling wine for our troubles and a 1 hour extension on our check out (our room was 2 hours late). On arrival to our suite I was honestly gobsmacked at how small this 'suite' was...it was essentially a standard room with a very random small side room with a tiny sofa and extra tv. The balcony was small and there was no furniture to sit on outside. Having requested a room on the highest floor possible, we were given a room on the 5th floor with a very average view of the street...the hinterland and beach were nowhere to be seen. Considering I had spent $440, my expectation levels were very high and I was very very disappointed!!
However, having spoken to the concierge when our bag was delivered (and spoke of our disappointment with the room), he made one quick phone call and transferred us to a 2 bedroom apartment in the next tower. This room was fantastic, with sea views, spacious living area and somewhere to sit on the balcony...much more deserving of the money I had spent and felt more like what a suite should be. From there on in the experience of the Hilton was fantastic...the Fix bar was awesome, the executive lounge a great touch, the outside pools beautiful and the staff very helpful throughout the stay.
So to conclude: the suite is no where near worth the money the Hilton charge, it's odd shaped, feels small compared to other suites as a result of this and has zero wow factor. In my opinion it is daylight robbery! I've previously stayed at QT in a suite which is advertised as smaller area, but felt much larger and was much cheaper! Apart from this, and the long delay to check in (the hotel was fully booked the night before, but unfortunately this is not an excuse for not having the room ready by 3pm, let alone 5pm), the rest of our stay was fantastic and the concierge who helped us change our room ultimately saved the day. I would stay here again, but would only consider a more standard room for a more standard price.

Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
CPHSP, General Manager at Hilton Surfers Paradise Hotel, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Dear Steve_Greene7,

Thank you for your review we appreciate your feedback.

Sorry to see that your stay started with some challenges, but pleased to see that we moved you to an apartment that provided for your expectations and that you enjoyed the rest of your stay.

Chris

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (690)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sydney
Reviewed 6 October 2013

We arrived at 2:45 and the line to check in was an hour long. The lady at check in was very helpful and to be honest I felt sorry for her as she ad been copping a lot of abuse from other upset guests.
Our room had been trashed the night before so when we arrived the carpet and lounge was wet..the balcony was filthy. The property is new but needs a good clean.
If you are after a sunny break this is not the hotel as the pool only gets about an hour of sun a day.
I think management need to have a good look at operations and what yo offer your guests in regards to service and cleanliness.

Dear Rachell75,

Thank you for posting your reveiw. We appreciate your feedback and apologise that not all aspects of your stay met expectations. Rest assured we have reviewed the various challenges experiences over the period of your stay to ensure improvements are implemented where needed.

Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

When traveling across this wonderful globe of ours you often rely on hotels to be your port of call, your home away from home. I found this at the Hilton Surfers Paradise. From the moment I pulled up outside, the concierge/porters were more than happy to assist with the luggage and car with a smile.
Now we usually can't stand the check in process, it's tedious and frustrating, however thanks to Angela (Front Office Manager) everything was put to ease with a great smile and wonderful nature. As I was organizing over 135 people to stay in the hotel, everything was discussed and actions put in place to assist my team coming into the hotel.
The service continued throughout the week constantly being updated with how my team were going and offering assistance where required.
To Lena in the Executive Lounge, thank you for your help in key issues and also allowing my team to hold a couple of meetings up there. It was a nice quiet escape from the daily grind downstairs.
Thank you to Chris and Ben (General & Operations Managers), just knowing that one or both were usually around making sure that our stay was a comfortable one. It's a challenging time, when you have 6 or 7 universities on site and I appreciate the daily room and general updates that were given.
It's often the little things that make your stay and the way they looked after my staff was excellent. Thank you.
Don't get me wrong here, my stay wasn't perfect and hasn't been previously, however the team will do everything they can to make sure your stay is as comfortable as ever, just be understanding and be willing to accept there apologies if required.
The Hilton offer some lovely hotels and resorts around the world and this one is no exception, especially in the hustle and bustle of the Gold Coast; this is a home away from home.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
CPHSP, General Manager at Hilton Surfers Paradise Hotel, responded to this review, 10 October 2013
Thank you for posting your review.

I am pleased to read you enjoyed your stay from the moment you arrived to the moment you left, and our team was very helpful in assisting with any of your needs.

I appreciate your positive comments about our team and I look forward to passing these on.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Surfers Paradise.

Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed 5 October 2013

The Hilton was fabulous. We had a great time, relaxed, clean and helpful. The Executive lounge was incredible. The pools were great as was the spa. Coffee and drinks perfect. Thanks, we would go again tomorrow.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Helen G,

Thank you for posting your review. I appreciate your feedback.

I am pleased to read your stay met your expectations and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed 5 October 2013

I was very disappointed not HILTON Standards at all. It is supposed to be a 5 star hotel didn't accommodate for the overload of customers. Not enough lifts have to pay for parking no free internet the spa was full of chlorine burning the eyes not enough towels they don't clean on a daily basis.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Joanne D,

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback and apologise that not everything was to your expectations on this occasion.

melbourne
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We had two club rooms - no connecting door. Unless we are touring, we generally only stay at 5-star hotels, but this was one of the worst 5-star chain experiences I have had for a while. The hotel is like a refurbished apartment building, but I'm sure it was purpose-built. There is no impressive entry or reception and the flooring in the lifts look like the painters have left spashes of paint all over them. (It's not paint, it's the design). It's just overall unimpressive. The concierge when we arrived (brown hair, big dude) was great, grabbing our bags, valet parking our car and bringing to us a phone we had left behind. The one when we left (black hair shorter dude, with a fake-looking tan) handed over the keys and wished us luck. We loaded our own bags! The reception queues were long and the general manager Chris Partridge who keeps commenting on the reviews below is being misleading when he says that the desk is well staffed. The reception girl (moussy hair with freckles) didn't tell us the times of the club room afternoon tea so we missed it and she was slow to check us in.The hotel lets youths wander around downstairs with no shirts on and bottles of alcohol and glasses taken from the room. This is not what we expect in a family hotel. Yes, it's Surfers Paradise so maybe that's what we should expect. But we also expect some sort of sanctuary in a Hilton Hotel. That is not what we got. We got the worst Hilton experience I have ever had. We got inexperienced staff. And the hotel is obviously managed by someone who either does not have the experience to do the job - or he does not have the ability to educate the staff in the rights and wrongs of running a top tier hotel. I love the Hilton, but this place does not deserve to use that name. Breakfast and snacks in the club room were adequate to poor. Not good. Internet costs $29 per day even in the club rooms.

Room Tip: the room ending with 03 was a lot bigger than the room ending in 04 - i think
2 Thank cbz_9
CPHSP, General Manager at Hilton Surfers Paradise Hotel, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
Dear cbz_9,

Thank you for providing your feedback following your stay at Hilton Surfers Paradise, I was very sorry to see that you did not enjoy your experience at the hotel.

I apologise that your stay was impacted by the dress standards of other guests staying at the time and that you were not provided with sufficient detail regarding afternoon tea at the Executive Lounge on arrival. I also note your opinions related to the interior design of the property.

I am not sure whether any of the issues you experienced at the hotel were raised at the time, if so then I am sorry that we did not totally resolve the issues before your departure.

The intention by responding to reviews is to acknowledge both the positive and the negative and demonstrate that all feedback is taken seriously by the hotel team. When we don't get it right, we learn and work to improve.

Once again apologies and please do contact me at the hotel if I can be of any further assistance.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

In the heart of Surfers Paradise and just minutes from the beach.Huge room-like apartment with all the facilities,fully equipped kitchen,laundry and open plan living area.Shops,Restaurants and Nightlife at the high street.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear diangel,

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback.

It was great to see you enjoyed the location at Hilton Surfers Paradise and the residence facilities. We hope to see you back soon.