“Overall Good, but can improve”

Hilton Surfers Paradise Hotel
Ranked #12 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
“Overall Good, but can improve”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I wish I could give Hiton a five star review it deserve. But I can't. Overall it was a positive experience, but not without a hitch.
My main frustration was the way the reception was setup. Everyone has to queue up in the same line if you want to speak to someone at the desk.

Now you might see this is perfectly fine and acceptable, which I thought the same when I checked in. But later on, whenever I had a quick query, (often something not working) I still had to queue up behind a pile of visitors who are trying to check in. Onetime, my parking ticket didn't work when I try to go out from the car park (hotel's fault). As our family was all loaded in the car, I kept the car running and quickly ran to the reception. There were about twenty odd visitors in the queue. I went and tried to talk to one of the girls but only answer was I must queue up like everyone else. My car was in ideal, I'm getting late to get to my destination, but she didn't wanted to hear any of that. So I had to beg to the person waiting next in the line and explain myself, where he kindly let me have his chance. But I didn't have to do that. Then the girl validate the parking ticket which I already done the night before. Why in the hell a guest has a general query have to queue behind the visitors who are checking in. For a 30 sec query do I really have to queue in 45min to 1hour. Totally unacceptable.

If any one responsible from hotel Hilton reading this, Please have a second counter (a queue or line) for guests who have already checked in. You could call it a 'general enquiry' which I belive how it's done in many other places.

Once we were at our room, one thing I found was lack of instructions how to use stuff. Like the aircon. I figure it out myself, but a quick manual would have been handy as I wish I didn't have to waste my holiday on that. Same with both alarm clocks in the bed rooms. I had to set the time on both of them (again two different models, two different ways of setting up). We booked a two bedroom apartment for six people. But the bins they provided were two tiny for the job (Check the photo). Any there was no sanitary bin for use either (which I have found even in 4 star hotels). Part of my package was High Speed WiFi. But the signal strength was anything but adequate. I often had to come out to the main corridor where the lift was to get a decent enough connection. Same for all my three devises. We were at the tower 1, which was about 50m behind the main entrance.

There was a side entrance to the tower 1, so guest wont have to work around the main entrance every time. But the sliding door to the side entrance was broken all the time. Which is less than half a day's work for a handyman. There was a permanent sign sitting in front of it, so I don't think they have plans to fix it any time soon. If going to book with Hiton, ask which tower you will be in, as longer you stay more annoy you will get, how you have been disregarded comparing to the guests in the front tower right next the reception.

Now for the good stuff, location can not be better than this, step out from the hotel, you are right in the thick of it. Facilities are well maintained. There is a gorgeous BBQ area, where there are two outdoor pools. Rooms were done, cleaned daily. The services are available 24 hours. There is a button on the phone, (they call magic button) when you press you can directly call someone anytime of the day/night. Had to call the number few times. Once tissues ran out, the box was almost empty when we first got there. And there were no salt or pepper in the salt and pepper mill when we tried to use them. Non of the door locks were working in our room so I asked from the reception. They raised a service ticket for next day. Next day evening when I asked, they replied that it is the hotel policy not to have locks working for safety reasons. Fare enough, but how come the staff working at the reception doesn't have this basic knowledge.

Like I said, overall positive experience, but being a five star hotel, I expected better.

Room Tip: Check my main comment. Try not to choose Tower One until they fix the side access door.
1 Thank Amila P
CPHSP, General Manager at Hilton Surfers Paradise Hotel, responded to this review, 18 July 2014
Dear Amila P,

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback.

It was great to see that overall you had a positive experience. I am sorry that you experienced some delays at front desk when you had some questions, we do have the Concierge desk which may have provided a quicker response. I appreciate that when waiting, time can seem to go slowly but I would have to say that I do not think any of our guests would be waiting up to an hour for service at the front desk.

I am sorry that your were inconvenienced by the doors not working to exit from the Boulevard Tower during your stay. Unfortunately the work required is more than a handyman could manage otherwise we would naturally resolved the issue in a more timely manner.

It was good to see you enjoyed the Pool and BBQ area and that the Magic button was a useful service when you required something from the team.

Chris Partridge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (699)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 9 July 2014

Staff were very accommodating & friendly. We arrived at 11.45am and were able to check in straight away which was a bonus. The 2 bedroom unit was very spacious and clean. Good facilities to use. Would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear Karen T,

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback.

I am pleased to see you enjoyed your stay in a 2 bedroom Residence. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stayed here recently with family of 4 in a 3 bedroom ocean view room. Arrived around 1 pm and our room was ready, checking in was quick and smooth. The room was very clean with lots of space. Kitchen has full size fridge, dishwasher, microwave. The beds were very comfortable and each bedroom had great views. Bathrooms where big with lots of toiletries supplied and good hair dryers. The view from the 16th floor was beautiful was able to sit out on the balcony and enjoy watching the surf role in. The staff were friendly and the concierge was very helpful. The room also has washing machine and dryer which was handy to dry off wet clothes. The location is perfect right in the middle of Surfers just near Carvill Ave. The only thing I was not happy with was wifi was not free you had to pay 29 dollars a day for that service this place is not cheap to stay at and you would think free wifi would be included. I would stay here again because of the location and the size of the room it was perfect for a family of 4.

1 Thank AussieGirls4
Dear AussieGirls4,

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback.

It was great to see that you enjoyed your stay in a 3 bedroom residence and and you found everything as it should be for your family holiday.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We have just returned from a short holiday to Surfers Paradise and we couldn't have stayed anywhere better than the Hilton!!

I booked a 3 bedroom ocean view suite. Admittedly, I wasn't 100% impressed with the 1st 3 bedroom suite that we were given (tower 1), however, when I asked if there were any other 3 bedroom suites available, we were shown a different suite in Tower 2 which was fantastic...bigger and better views!

Lucianna and Lindee, both Guest Services Agents, were amazing - extremely helpful and super friendly...what great assets for any business, particularly in hospitality!! Service was great, the apartment was lovely and the views from every room in our apartment were breathtaking. All staff were very helpful. Even once we had checked out, I had to contact the hotel about some items that one of the kids had left behind and even this was handled beautifully...a very big thank you. Definitely will go there again!!

Room Tip: Tower 2 - 3 bedroom ocean view suites are the way to go!!
1 Thank Rina D
Dear Rina D,

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback.

Naturally I was delighted to see you enjoyed your stay in a 3 bedroom residence, it is great to see you left with positive memories regarding your experience.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

It is the biggest 'standard' I've ever had. The bathroom was big and modern. From the moment I entered the hotel I could see/tell everything has been thought of, great and friendly staff, big room offering privacy and comfort and the food at the restaurant is divine

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear nlarue,

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback.

It was great to see that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Australia
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Stayed for a night last sunday and could not wish for more . Location is great staff superb and the room excellent.
The Executive Lounge a great attraction.
As we live on the Gold Coast we only spend a night now and then for a special occasion and for that it is perfect.

Room Tip: The wellness rooms seem to have the best views We were upgraded to a J/ Suite 603 which was very...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Leigh111,

Thank you for taking time to review your stay, we appreciate your feedback.

It was great to see that you enjoyed another stay at the hotel and found everything as it should be.

Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

I stayed for 2 nights to catch up with my family from Victoria...
I found the Hilton to be great value, everything was close by, Caville Ave around the corner and beach 5 minute walk away.. Eating out was not a problem as there were great choices everywhere ..

Stayed July 2014
CPHSP, General Manager at Hilton Surfers Paradise Hotel, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear Vikki S,

Thank you for your review, I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay and our central location in the heart of Surfers Paradise. We hope to see you back soon.