“Just an overated Novotel”

Hilton Surfers Paradise Hotel
Ranked #12 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Our stay was ok but didnt live up to expectations. Location is great and the rooms have a nice layout but the walls were marked and the wallpaper on the lift area was marked making it look tatty. Theres no mini bar instead there is a shop downstairs where you can buy snacks which was closed when we went there. We were very much looking forward to our late checkout of 12pm after days of driving only to be woken at 7.30am with hammering and drilling happening with maintenance on a room next door!!! Ridiculous! I also dont want to be lying in bed and hearing the lift chime everytime it is used. Dissapointing. Wont be back.

• Stayed: July 2014
CPHSP, General Manager at Hilton Surfers Paradise Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear kel K,

Thank you for your review, I appreciate your feedback.

I am sorry that your stay did not fully meet your expectations and that some work being carried out disturbed your sleep in. Our maintenance team are sensitive to our guest needs and would not ordinarily start noisy work until later in the morning, so am sorry it that was the case.

If we had been aware of your preference not to be located near to the lifts we would have done oour best to meet that requirement unless the hotel was full with limited room location options at your time of arrival.

There are newer reviews for Hilton Surfers Paradise Hotel

Reviewed 14 July 2014

As a Hilton Honors Diamond member I received great treatment at this hotel. We were upgraded to a relaxation suite, however when I pointed out that we needed 2 beds they upgraded us to a 2 bed apartment in the Residences instead. We were dealt with at check-in by Patience who was an absolute joy. In fact the staff were generally very good, including those working in the executive lounge who did a great job.

The hotel is in a perfect location IF you want to be absolutely smack bang in the middle of all that goes along with Surfers Paradise. So that means you're in the middle of the shops, restaurants and nightlife, a block from the beach, but you're also going to be exposed to the Gold Coast's most trashy side!

We used the executive lounge for drinks on the Saturday night and breakfast the next day...it's a good lounge with a decent range of food and drinks and plenty of space.

The major issue I have with this hotel is the lifts...what an absolute disaster they are! It is not uncommon to wait 10 minutes plus for one it seems. This can happen at any time of the day as well. In the afternoon we waited in the basement car park for about 10 minutes for a lift up. Then lifts seem to have a habit of stopping on every floor! Later in the day, about 1730 we again waited ages for a lift to the lobby, when we finally squeezed into one there was a huge queue of people waiting for lifts down there! The problem seems to particularly affect the Residences...which was a pain because in order to get to the lounge from the residences we had to take the lift to ground then another up to level 15 for the lounge.

The absolute worst lift experience was Sunday morning checkout...wait times were extreme...and every time a lift would arrive at the floor it would be already packed to the doors, people on the lower floors had no chance. Lifts were often occupied by Hilton staff moving bags and service carts. Once again the lift stopped on EVERY floor despite being full. On reaching the lobby it was a sea of people both at the main desk and concierge. I wanted to ask a question about car parking but it was simply impossible. My next lift drama occurred getting to the car park. The car park levels are B2, B3, B4...for reasons best known to the boffins who set them up some of the elevators will only go to B2...I was parked on B3. Not wanting to wait for a lift to B3 I took one that went to B2...making the somewhat crazy assumption that seeing as some lifts only go that level I would be able to, you know, use my legs and walk down one flight of stairs to B3. How wrong was I! Feeling smug to be clear of the lifts, I checked out the stairwell door...Do not hold open, fine, Do not obstruct, OK...and in I went. Unfortunately the Hilton had other ideas...all the doors were locked and could only be opened from the outside. So now I find myself trapped on the stairwell! I picked up the emergency phone there and explained the situation to the lady who picked up...she suggested I press the ground floor button, um ok. After explaining again that I was ON THE STAIRS, she said she'd come down and release me. I waited 10 minutes (there's a theme here) but no one showed up. I called again and this time I was told I'd have to walk up to ground and take the lift! Arggggggh! So there you have it, you may not move between car park floors using the stairs, you must wait and wait and wait for a lift...that seems to be the way they want it.

The lift situation really is shocking here...although it seems to be a bit of a feature of Australian high rises, no idea why because I haven't run into similar issues elsewhere.

Would I stay again, yes I would, I get good benefits as a diamond, but for sure I'd refuse an upgrade to the residences based on the lift situation!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bazza76

Dear Bazza76,

Thank you for your review, I appreciate your feedback.

I was pleased to see that you felt valued as a Diamond Hhonors guest and enjoyed your upgrade and Executive Lounge access. I am sorry that there were some delays with the lifts during your stay which can happen when the property is full. We are working to providing a more efficient response time for the lifts in the Orchid and Boulevard Tower Residences.

I am sorry for all the confusion in relation to the fire exit stairs and accessing the car park in which the team could have been more responsive, however legislation dictates that the doors cannot be opened once in the stairwell for safety reasons.

We hope to see you back in the future.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

The Hilton has it all - great rooms, amazing views, great pool areas and close to everything. Once stepping outside of the hotel, you have Cavill Mall and surrounding streets only steps away. The lifts did take some time to arrive at busy times but this cannot be helped with the number of guests staying. We absolutely loved having our breakfast on the balcony each morning overlooking our view of the beach and enjoying the sunshine. The floor to ceiling glass windows gave us a fantastic view at night - from the beach to the hinterland.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Dear Leanne N,

Thank you for your review, I appreciate your feedback.

It was great to see that you had a lovely time and enjoyed your Residence accommodation and especially being able to have breakfast on the balcony overlooking the beach.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

My wife and I did enjoy our stay but our room was not ready when we got up there. Had to make calls to get rectified. Finding someone to get our bags and the long wait to check in. The poor girl on reception was working very hard and fast but NO one came to help her.School holidays you would think you would have enough staff. Not a 4-5 star.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Derek S,

Thank you for your review, I appreciate your feedback.

I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay but dio apologise that you encountered some delays while checking in to the hotel.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Overall - nice hotel with good facilities and nice rooms however some concerns;

Have been there 2 days so far in the residences - and the elevators are a disaster - can take 15 minutes to wait for one. Having several elevators out of service for 48 hrs Ina 5 star hotel isn't really acceptable.
Staff just want to blame in on the contractors rather than apologise and explain when it'll be fixed. Customer elevators are also used by service staff so it impacts room cleaning, room service etc - and have dirty room service trays lying all over our floor which have been there 12+ hours.

Salt restaurant is great!

Close to awesome - but yet so far

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear iain !,

Thank you for your review, I appreciate your feedback.

I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay but obviously sorry that we encountered some issues with the lifts that impacted on your overall experience.

Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

A beautiful hotel nestled in the heart of Surfers Paradise. This hotel has welcoming and friendly staff. Our room #512 was spacious with a luxurious bathroom and only a short stroll to the gorgeous beaches of the gold coast. Very special.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear AnnaKingaroy,

Thank you for your review, I appreciate your feedback and it was great to see that you enjoyed your stay at the hotel.

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Hilton provided an excellent location as a base for the Goldcoast marathon. Reception staff helpful and knowledgeable. Lots of restaurants nearby. Short walk to the shuttle bus to and from the event. Stunning room in a lovely new hotel. Very nice experience overall.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear Gjj99,

Thank you for your review, I appreciate your feedback.

It was great to see that you enjoyed your stay and found us well located to get to the GC Marathon start line. Next year we will have the added advantage of a Light Rail stop on our doorstep which will provide quick and easy transport to the Marathon location in Southport.