“Great stay”

Hilton Surfers Paradise
Ranked #12 of 33 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I can't fault anything during our stay at this hotel. We stayed 3 nights in a 2 bed ocean view residence which was perfect for our family of 2 adults, 2 young teenagers. Level 21. Tower 2 (which is the taller of the two towers - reception is also in this building).
Location: Right in the middle of it all.
Check-in: We arrived very early intending to just drop our luggase in to concierge before heading out to our planned activity - however, the room was ready so we were able to check-in immediately - this was a helfful nice surprise bonus. Check-in staff very friendly, fast & thoughtful.
Room: The room was very clean on arrival & housekeeping was wonderful and very accommodating; on both occasions the lovely lady was happy to come back at a later time and she did a very thorough job cleaning & repleneshing supplies, including clothing & dishwashing detergents. I enjoyed that I had everything I could require in an apartment stay (even tupperware & a juicer), yet had all the usual hotel services at the touch of the "magic" button. We were not disturbed by noisy clubs at this level, only heard faint club music thump on one night, but hardly noticeable. I was told that there was major building occuring below, but we didn't hear any construction noise on either week day - probably as we were facing the ocean & high up - so suggest you ask for same/similar.
Costs: Charges are as expected at all hotels of this class, so no shock there.
Food: We indulged in room service, buffet breakfast & a $49 special at "Salt". Quality of room service food was exceptional. The buffet breakfast was exactly as one would expect, ensure that you go all the way around the corner to find yoghurts, toast, spreads & cereals... we initially missed this part. And take advantage of the cooked to order items - my son loves waffles, these were cooked to order with all his favourite sides. Plus freshly cooked eggs to our liking for the rest of us. Our meal at Luke Mangan's "Salt" was also delicious - yes, we went with the deal, but were not disappointed with our choices - enjoyed a fine meal with our family at a very reasonable price. All food service staff both breakfast & dinner were fabulous.
Entrance: Yes, the reception is set-up differently to most other Hiltons, much more casual and simple.. but not lacking what you need - there is a Concierge... and not sure what an earlier review is talking about... there are bell boys out the front & valet parking too.
Staff: We found all the service staff extremely helpful & friendly. The only bump we had is when we ordered a movie, the sound disappeared.... a technician rectified the situation within minutes.
Overall: You should understand that this hotel/residences has been set-up for "Surfers Paradise" style travel - thus differs to other Hilton properties. We found it provided the best of both worlds. Would stay here again.
Tip: Press that "magic" button & just ask

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
CPHSP, General Manager at Hilton Surfers Paradise, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Dougies10,

Thank you for your review, I appreciate your feedback.

It was great to see you enjoyed your stay and found that everything met your expectations. We look forward to seeing you back in the future.

Chris Partridge

Write a ReviewReviews (3,431)

Reviewed 20 July 2014

The Hilton has dropped their standard quite a bit at this property. It stands very tall in the heart of Surfers Paradise and would appear all set to deliver an awesome experience but it is very much a let down. Firstly, there is no entrance to allow drop off or valet park or bell boys. The reception area is more like a mall than a luxury 5 star hotel! The room furnishings and decor is pretty cheap and bathrooms are just terrible! About motel or 3 star apartment standard. The bathtub is so small and so old fashioned with glass panels for it to act as a shower also. I am staying at a 2 bedroom ocean view resident and it is only good for the view and nothing else.
Then the worst of all, the service here is awful. I have only been 5 hours and there are so many things that went wrong already, I worry about my next 6 days!
1. I arrive to my room with poorly cleaned bathroom with hair from previous guest in two of the towels and then also empty used shampoo bottles sitting in the shower! I had to call to get replenishment of shampoos
2. after turning the lights on, suddenly the down light casing falls down and hangs off the ceiling requiring yet another call to the desk to have engineers come to fix it!
3. apparently internet is at 29.95 per day and 139 per week!!!
4. my wife was downstairs stuck in getting the lift up as she left her card in the room while I was bathing the kids; and the reception staff refused her entry despite being called to let her up, essentially she waited more than 15 mins and I had to call 3 times to request to have her up as I cannot go down leaving the twins in the bathtub!!!
Totally ridiculous service and facility here at the Hilton! I am thinking of moving to the Marriott tomorrow. Such poor experience that I would ask my hosting company to never ever send their delegates to this hotel. Amazing how this place got 5 stars.

Room Tip: OCEAN view is nice
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
5  Thank JC_konzauhk

Dear JC-knozauhk,

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback.

I am sorry that you experienced some issues on arrival and I have shared these with the team. Naturally reporting your dissatisfaction while at the hotel is important and something we welcome as it allows us to resolve the issues so that you can enjoy the rest of your stay. It is difficult to ascertain who our guests are who choose to provide a review during their stay on sites such as tripadvisor as we have no way of identification from ID's provided. I do believe, however, that a couple of days into your stay you made contact with the Assistant Manager and your concerns were resolved.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

I would love to give this property five stars, however the hotel fell flat in a few areas.

Firstly, the hotel is set in an absolutely fantastic location, right in the heart of Surfers very close to the restaurants,shops and nightclubs (about a 2 minute walk from the lobby). Likewise, the beach is only a five minute walk away, so it ticked all the boxes from me. Notably, checkout was at midday which is extremely good for Australian standards. I did not experience any noise issues (I was on sixth floor, facing the clubs). Staff were very friendly.

On the flip side, when I first got the hotel, I was given the wrong room number, and hence couldn't get into my room, however this was quickly rectified. I also got this hotel with a mystery deal, which came with some extras such as free parking and free wifi (which were fantastic). However it also included a free upgrade to a deluxe room, and in hindsight looking at photos from others and on the hotel, I got the standard room. Even so, what I paid would have been worth it even for this, but is still a little slack on the hotels part.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Ben M

Dear Ben M,

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback.

It was great to see you enjoyed our location in the heart of Surfers Paradise and our midday checkout. I am pleased you enjoyed your mystery deal at the hotel and note your reference to the photo compared to your room. Owing to the shape of the building each room is slightly different in shape and with different views, some of the deluxe rooms appear similar to the standard but generally Deluxe rooms are from level 6 to 11 in the hotel. I am sorry about the inconvenience caused by provising you with the wrong room number on arrival.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

This is a new hotel just built in 2013 and open this year. I think Hilton has now re-positioned its new hotel to be trendy. As such I think this one in Surfers Paradise is far from the traditional classic and comfort Hilton!!

When the shared shuttle droped me off at the main entrance, I couldn't believe it is Hilton hotel! The entrance and the lobby is ugly, dim, grey and looked old.

The room is very, very basic. Cheap writing desk and couch. Simple bathroom but large. Only shower area and no bathtub. Bed is not 'that' comfortable, particularly when I have checked myself into Hilton Melbourne South Wharf a week later.

I have chosen a room with balcony and view that costs just a little bit higher but I think it worh the extra. But remember the ocean view is NOT full view as Hilton is two blocks away from the beach and so there are some other high rise buidings in front of it. But still the view is nice (but not as good as the one I have stayed in another hotel in Broadbeach).

There is a large swimming pool in the 1/F that looks nice but as it was winter time, it was extremely windy. You simply cannot stay there any longer. There is also an inside heated pool that you can use if you have brought with you a swimming suit.

On breakfast, the choice is average. I will give it a 6 out of 10 score. The dining room is not very large and so even though it is almost full, it is not very noisy. The staff at the restaurant are very attentative and nice.

However, even though my overal comment is not very positive, this Hilton still got my recommendation as remember you are in Surfers Paradise, the prices everywhere can be so hugh. Another point that many reviewers have mentioned is its central location. Bars, restaurants, boutiques, malls and supermarkets are all around you.

Regarding the noise problem, I think you can state it in the remarks when you book the room. I have stated that I require a quiet room and wanted to check in at around 11am, and they all did it. So overall I am satisfied with my stay at this Hilton hotel.

Room Tip: A room with view and balcony.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank LucerneSau

Dear LucerneSau,

Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback.

Thank you for you insights regarding the building design which we accept as your subjective opinion. The hotel was opened in 2011 and is part of a contemporary development that features the hotel and apartments. Hilton manages the hotel and some but not all of the Residences.

We note there were some positives you recognised and thank you for sharing them and enjoyed the service you received at breakfast.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

This hotel is located on the busiest corner of Surfers Paradise and the street noise and night club music disturbed our sleep every night. The rooms are not very soundproof! However for location it is easily accessed to restaurants and shops and nightclubs if this is what you are looking for? Maybe for young people it would be perfect but definitely not for families.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts
3  Thank Julietse
CPHSP, General Manager at Hilton Surfers Paradise, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Dear Julietse,

Thank you for your review, I appreciate your feedback.

While noting your one star rating for your stay I was pleased to see that you enjoyed our central location. I am sorry that you were disturbed by noise emanating from the surrounding area during your stay.

Reviewed 16 July 2014

Even on a Sunday night the noise 15 floors below in Cavill was unbearable. Whats the point of a beachfront view if you cant keep the windows open? The air conditioner also was the driest and stuffiest I have ever experienced. Food as always was good - good quality cooked simply and well. If you go there insist on a north facing room away from Cavill noise.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Dear VickiVN,

Thank you for your review, I appreciate the feedback.

I am sorry that you were disturbed by noise external to the hotel and I will pass your feedback on to the engineering team in relation to the airconditioning. It was good to see that you enjoyed the food while at the hotel.

Please let us know your preference for a quieter room when next you choose to make a booking.

Reviewed 15 July 2014

Our stay was ok but didnt live up to expectations. Location is great and the rooms have a nice layout but the walls were marked and the wallpaper on the lift area was marked making it look tatty. Theres no mini bar instead there is a shop downstairs where you can buy snacks which was closed when we went there. We were very much looking forward to our late checkout of 12pm after days of driving only to be woken at 7.30am with hammering and drilling happening with maintenance on a room next door!!! Ridiculous! I also dont want to be lying in bed and hearing the lift chime everytime it is used. Dissapointing. Wont be back.

• Stayed: July 2014

Dear kel K,

Thank you for your review, I appreciate your feedback.

I am sorry that your stay did not fully meet your expectations and that some work being carried out disturbed your sleep in. Our maintenance team are sensitive to our guest needs and would not ordinarily start noisy work until later in the morning, so am sorry it that was the case.

If we had been aware of your preference not to be located near to the lifts we would have done oour best to meet that requirement unless the hotel was full with limited room location options at your time of arrival.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Surfers Paradise
2 mi away
Peppers Broadbeach
Peppers Broadbeach
#2 of 7 in Broadbeach

Been to Hilton Surfers Paradise? Share your experiences!