“Lining up to order food, not for me thanks”
Review of Vapiano

Vapiano
Price range: US$5 - US$17
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Homemade delicious Italian dishes of pasta, pizza and salads freshly cooked in front of you. Head up to the counter and order, watch the chef cook, and pay on the way out whenever you're ready to leave.
Reviewed 30 June 2014

We ventured today to Vapiano for our daughter's 15th birthday celebration. Have been to Vapiano in the US and were quite excited to be going in our back yard. Sadly it did not live up to our US experience, maybe they have changed their dining to suit the Aussie market? We arrived and got to choose where we sat, then we got to line up to order our food and drinks. Sorry to say I spent more time waiting to order and take our order to table than I did sitting down talking to my family. Staff were friendly and efficient but this really is an upmarket food court, not a dining experience. Will not be going back. If we decide to dine out we will go to a restaurant that seats you, shows you the menu, takes orders for drinks, then takes orders for food, and maybe even comes back to see if you would like desert or coffee. This was a big disappointment for our family, would not recommend.

3  Thank TravellingMum0f2
Write a ReviewReviews (1,090)

Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Vapiano on the gold coast is consistently good you don't really have to worry about service because you are looking after yourself ! The cooking staff are always polite and the food is good ..... not great but it is what it is ! It's good basic Italian style food !! I enjoy the outside area and being from Melbourne it's always lovely to sit and not worry about the smoking !! I would recommend trying it ... it's not cheap but let's face it your on the gold coast nothing is and the food is much better than a lot of the middle of the road Obed up there and the quality is much better !!!

Reviewed 27 June 2014

Have been waiting in line for 20 minutes for kids pastas. I am still yet to order and have my dish made. My wife spent 10 minutes at the pizza and salad lines. Our young kids have no choice but to sit at the table alone. Who wants to spend their night standing in lines. I don't get what all the fuss is about.

5  Thank DMO123789
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

Was there recently I liked 1 time I had it, took the wife down and service wasnt great and her pizza had stuff all on it and was doughy.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

Went there on a recommendation from a young lass on the desk at the Meriton. We had had a very long and stressed day and were ravenous. We arrived and were warmly greeted and given a card (like a credit card) which we were to swipe for food. We had a look round-large open space with lots of seating and tables. All tables have Basil plants on them so you can pick the leaves and eat with your food,nice touch.
We firstly ordered a pizza and couldn't quite figure out how or where to swipe the given card. This ended up being quite a laugh for us in our tired state but we eventually got it. They gave us a small electronic buzzer the size of an old school cellphone which buzzes when the pizza is ready.
We then went to where they cook your pasta.
This is neat how they do it.
You pick the pasta type you want from these small paper bags the cooks have behind them that have a little window in them so you can see what's inside.
They throw the contents into hot water and cook it right in front of you as you wait. They ask what you want on it, pine nuts, Parma etc and plate up in these cute elongated bowls.
We also got a nice local australian IPA beer and a glass of sparkling.
Taste......well...
This was some of the best pasta I've ever had! It was delicious! We were tucking in and the pizza buzzer thingy started squawking so I dashed over and got that. Once again delish!
We thoroughly enjoyed our meal and were stuffed by the end. And it all came to $40 something.
It's quite dark inside so a nice relaxed setting. Friendly staff. Lots of food to choose from. A fun experience compared to the usual sit down restaurant.
I'm going back!