“What a great place for the family!”

Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
“What a great place for the family!”
Reviewed 10 December 2013 via mobile

The Marriott surfers paradise was a remarkable experience. It was Australian 5star luxury that was reasonably priced. I was impressed with the surroundings and the pool areas are worth the trip to the Gold Coast. My two young children had a great time and where looked after well by staff.

I will definitely be booking again.

Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Dalvin_au

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (598)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

My daughter & I stayed here from 2-6 December. I had always wanted to stay here and had high expectations, which were well and truly exceeded!

The only hiccup was with the reservation itself - the online packages thru marriott worldwide website are CONFUSING!!! However it was sorted when I found a better offer thru travelzoo and booked that instead.

We were allocated a room on the top floor and had access to the elandra lounge. The breakfast although not a full hot buffet, was still better than I thought it would be with still some hot options. The pre dinner drinks and canapés were so filling we didn't often feel the need for dinner afterwards!

The hotel grounds are simply stunning. The pool area which I'd seen many photos of was even better in the flesh and the pool bar staff were great. My daughter loved pottering about with the snorkel & floaty equipment and the motorized zoomers. We loved exploring the many different public areas of the hotel. The lobby was all done up for christmas and just dazzled, I couldn't stop taking photos.

Due to most of our nutritional needs being taken care of by elandra lounge we did not get to try the other f&b outlets. Benihana looked amazing and I'd love to try that next time.

We were out most of the day each day and it was so lovely to come back to our beautiful clean room and have someone else park the car. Housekeeping and bell desk, reception were all excellent.

We always love the Gold Coast but our experience this time was so enhanced by our accommodation that I might even go so far as to say I will never stay anywhere else on the Gold Coast...! Thank you for a wonderful holiday :)

Stayed December 2013
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I have stayed at this property a number of times over the years and each time am told they are about to renovate the rooms, yet each time I return the rooms seem exactly the same.
The main problem is with the bathrooms. They desperately need a good clean or renovating.
Mould is growing rampantly in and around the shower. This has been noticed on each of my visits over the years. Housekeeping really need to keep on top of this as there is nothing more off putting than walking into a hotel bathroom that looks unclean.
Also, 4 tiles in the shower of this particular room had been painted over creating a patchy look.
Like other reviewers have mentioned, there was also hair on the floor of the bathroom from the previous people who stayed there.
For a 5 star hotel, this is just not acceptable. The toiletries are also very basic, tube of shampoo, conditioner, bath gel and lotion. No cotton buds, shower cap etc as you would expect from a hotel of this rating.
We also had an issue with the air conditioning, as many have mentioned. It simply did not work properly. We had it on manual and also tried auto, and neither worked well. It would turn on for about a minute and we sighed with relief and then next thing it stopped and we were sweating again.
The room was extremely stuffy all night and therefore not much sleep was had.
As we had a 6 year old with us who was asleep, we couldn't call for assistance as we did not want her disturbed.
Besides, we shouldn't have to! The air con should be able to be adjusted in the room and work as required!
The bed was comfortable and the pillows wonderful and soft, it is a shame we couldn't have an enjoyable sleep.
We did enjoy dinner at Benihana, service and food were wonderful.
Breakfast buffet was very nice apart from being seated next to the waitress service desk where one of the wait staff proceded to wipe each piece of cutlery and clang it into the drawer next to us.
The pool is lovely, lots of activities to keep everyone occupied. We found there were plenty of sunlounges and towels and the service from the pool bar was good. Poolside food and beverage prices are quite high however.
Dissapointed to also discover the hotel now charges for use of it's carpark. Guests pay $10 per night.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Marriott S, General Manager at Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 10 December 2013
Firstly, I would like to thank you for choosing to stay with us over the last few years and for your loyalty to our resort.

It is great to hear that you had the opportunity to dine in Benihana and also spend some time relaxing by our lagoon. We are so lucky to be able to provide our guests with such a unique pool experience, being the only resort property in Australia which offers guests the opportunity of swimming with live tropical fish. However we do understand that there were certain aspects of your stay which have given you a negative impression of our resort and we thank you for bringing these items to our attention.

While all of the furnishings in our guest rooms were upgraded as part of the resort’s refurbishment in October 2011, the bathroom renovation is planned for 2014. We have also recently installed a brand new air conditioning system in all of our guest rooms so apologise that you experienced issues with the unit in your room. Our Engineering Team has been made aware and will be checking each of the rooms to ensure that all units are functioning correctly.

We have highlighted these areas which need to be addressed with our teams as this is not the standard you should expect. Please feel free to contact our Executive Office when you are next planning to visit the Gold Coast so that we can ensure you and your family have a memorable experience.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 4 December 2013

Oh dear where to start..
My family and I have visited this hotel many times and look forward to our holiday in the oasis that lies in Surfers. However on our recent trip I feel that times have changed and the usual top class 5 star service has declined.
Day 1 arrived to a speedy check in and off to the pool. they have installed new sun beds with flags attached for poolside bar service. up went the flag 20 minutes later no one had attended and I went to the bar to make my order. the girls working there were very nice and explained that they were new and just getting used to things. At 4pm I left the pool as i had arranged for friends from Brisbane to meet us for dinner, the hotel does a fantastic seafood buffet and we were looking forward to it. I stopped by at Citrique to make a reservation only to be told that they weren't taking reservations for that evening and were only running "a casual dining menu" that evening as there was an "event". We met in the bar at 5.30pm at 5.35 the music was turned up loud, we were finding it difficult to hear each other and so I asked the waitress whether it could be turned down a tad...Answer"it is not in my control but I will ask but I doubt it".....oh dear.....onto Citrique for the driest prawn pasta I have ever had, but great service from our waiter who has worked there for several years.
Day 2 spent most of the day away from hotel so not problematic and dined in Citrique for the seafood buffet excellent as usual.
Day 3 thought we should take advantage of the lunch deal adverted on the tv screen in lift for $24.50. On arrival I asked if we were having the seafood buffet, I enquired about the special lunch as was told that they had decided to change to a seafood buffet the same as the evening one for $79....we had that last night....oh well we could do it for you for $69.......we decided to go for a steak sandwich instead. After I told them they need to change the offer in the lift I was told to feel free to have the soup and salad with our sandwich as that would have come with the offer, so sorted out for me and I was happy ...until I waited 20 minutes for our drinks...heh ho.
That evening we decided we would take the kids for bar food in the lobby lounge. On the way out about 3pm a sign was put up at the lobby lounge saying"closed for private function" and a disco was being set up in there. I went to the pool shortly after and that was being closed as well, the bartender said "don't worry you can still get a drink from the lobby bar"...yeah right...rom service it was then... a drink on the balcony with music from the disco below :/
Day 4 Arrived at breakfast, a clearly exasperated desk girl looked at her watch and sighed at the number of people in the queue, all 6 of us, to be seated next to a conference group that had tables in a U shape and spent the next half hour whooping and awarding certificates....at 8am ......on holiday......Has this hotel not got conference rooms??? A ballroom??? Why do regular guests lose these amenities? Surely they are part of the contractual obligation.

On the whole the resort is still one of the best places to stay on the Gold Coast and I'm sure these problems wouldn't bother most people, as they would be mesmerised by the fish in the pool or the lazy river and the cute water dragons, but they bother me. Why should we be second class to event business? Any other hotel would use separate rooms. If only the receptionist had mentioned that the restaurant wouldn't be open that evening, the pool bar would shut at 3pm for an event every day and the lobby bar to boot.... I would have taken my family over to Palazzo Versace across the road as this is the only other hotel that comes near to the Marriott based on our previous stays...then our view of the Marriott Surfers Paradise would not have been tainted. I just feel like I've paid for a holiday that has subsidised the event business side.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Fiona M
Marriott S, General Manager at Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 8 December 2013
Dear Fiona,

We sincerely thank you for your feedback and would love the opportunity to discuss your comments with you personally so that we can give you a brief update about our facilities that are available over the coming months and to gain further insight into areas which require attention.

Please feel free to call our Executive Office on 07 5592 9829 when convenient.

We do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you and your family back to the resort on another visit in the future.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 2 December 2013

Loved every minute if our stay!
The position of the hotel is great!
We really enjoyed the tranquility around the pool, it had an amazing fish pool inside the hotel pool, grotto spa and water slides.
Jet skis available from the back,
The Japanese restaraunt has tepinyaki which definitely made this hotel one of the best around!
No regrets we chose the Marriott, 5 stars all around

• Stayed October 2013
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I had organised a short trip away from Sydney to give my wife a break from the recent tragedies we had in our family. This hotel was the perfect getaway for us. We chose the 1 bedroom executive suite which came with complimentary roll away beds for our little ones. The room was well designed, modern furnishing and pleasant colours. The view to the beach and overlooking the beautiful lagoon was in itself relaxing. The bathroom had a round whirlpool which overlooked the hinterland and back part of Surfers which was amazing. Our package included buffet seafood dinner and buffet breakfast at Citrque. The lagoon, whoa! what a gem! the kids loved it and I must admit I was the biggest kid! Didnt want to get out of it the whole time we stayed at the hotel. My wife layed on the sun lounge and bathe under the sun for the best part of the day. Seafood buffet was great at dinner.

We had free access to the Elandra Club which is highly recommended to get as you simply do not need to leave the hotel then! The Club can offer finger food from 8am to 9pm! It is a small intimate setting at the 2nd highest floor of the hotel with views to the beach. For the times we went to the club, there were only 2-3 people in at the time so it is certainly a pleasant experience.

The beds were great, service was great and the guests were all pleasant making our short trip worth every cent. This hotel is truly value for money especially considering you can swim with live tropical fish. The best time of the day to swim is between 9:30am and 12pm as all the fish come out to feed on the food that gets thrown all across the pool area.

We hope to go back next year! Thank you Marriott for a perfect short getaway!!

Room Tip: Elandra Club rooms worth it! Ocean view rooms have nice cool breeze and overlooks the beautiful lago...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Marriott S, General Manager at Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 December 2013
Dear Phil

We are so glad that you and your family had such a positive experience whilst visiting our resort recently and that our facilities allowed you to enjoy a much needed break during this time.

We do look forward to welcoming you back next year when you next travel to the Gold Coast and thank you for taking the time to post this great review on Tripadvisor for our team.
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed 1 December 2013

I have stayed at various hotels in Australia and I must admit that this hotel is one of the best places to stay at Surfers Paradise. Although the location is a 15 min walk from the central area, it is a good location for those who prefer some peace and quiet. It was the Schoolies week and I was glad that the hotel was far away from the big bunch of drunk teenagers walking along the beach.

The rooms have been renovated and are extremely comfortable. The water pressure on the 21 floor was a bit weak. The wifi in the room was a bit weak too. I had some problems with the air conditioner but that was resolved quickly by the engineering department quickly. A staff followed up with a phone call to check.

The hotel pool is amazing and the hotel breakfast has a very good spread. The seafood buffet is overated but it is ok but still a bit on the expensive side.

The gymnasium is old and some of the machines had missing "keys" to lock the weights in position. The gymnasium looks rundown compared to the other parts of the hotel. Glad I chose to stay here as I booked the Sea Temple initially.

Really good service and beautiful place to stay but beware the endless road works outside the hotel.

• Stayed November 2013
#7 of 31 in Surfers Paradise
Meriton Suites Broadbeach
Meriton Suites Broadbeach
#1 of 21 in Broadbeach

Been to Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!