“Excellent service”

Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Sydney, Australia
“Excellent service”
Reviewed 24 January 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with family on a special travelzoo deal that included club lounge access. We found the customer service during check in was exceptional. Staff at valet parking and reception was friendly and professional. As I am a gold member I got a room upgrade but reception took special care to find an upgrade for my sons' room as well as having both rooms on same level. Because of this we had to wait a little longer for the rooms while they try to get both ready at the last minute which we didn't mind since we could wait in the club lounge. However, we were pleasantly surprised with a bottle of wine delivered to our room.
The club lounge was excellent value. It provided many more meals than the normal executive lounges. Breakfast, Morning and afternoon tea, evening canapés, alcohol beverages and desserts. Almost a continuous steam of food that one could probably spend all day at the hotel. Staff at the lounge was also courteous and friendly.
The only criticism I have would be that some amenities were not consistent. One room had slippers while the other didn't. Sometimes some toiletries were replenished but other times not or get different ones. It's not important to me but distract from the perfection. Although the housekeeping staff were helpful and courteous.
I would be happy to return again and consider the club access rooms quite good value. Glad I had the travelzoo deal to introduce me to this facility.

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Yas8oz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (591)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We spent 7 nights in a Hinterland room - 2 adults and 1 teenager - 2 double beds. The room was large enough for our needs considering we didn't spend a lot of time in it! The room was very clean and tastefully appointed. It had a bath and separate shower. We chose the Hinterland room as it is a bit cheaper than an Ocean view and so glad we did. The view from our room (15th floor of 28) was superb. We could still see the ocean to the left of the balcony and the beautiful hills to the right. At night Surfers Paradise glitters in front of you!
We picked this hotel based mostly on the pool set up and were not disappointed. There are 2 pools, one salt water lagoon complete with fish and a regular pool. Snorkeling in the lagoon pool is best done first thing in the morning as once it gets busy it is harder to see the fish with all the sediment floating around. My only complaint would be the motorised jets that kids can hire to whizz around the pool. In my opinion they are noisy and disruptive.
We didn't eat in either of the restaurants but did go to the small coffee shop in the foyer, Java, on a daily basis and the coffee was great plus a nice selection of reasonably priced cafe style snacks.
All of the staff were very attentive and professional.

Room Tip: Hinterland rooms on the south side have great views.
melbourne
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We are a family of 3 ( 9 yr son) and stayed here for 5 nights from Melbourne. Hotel is lovely but we were in school holidays and it was very busy. Room was lovely - we paid for an upgrade to a junior suite - very happy with that. Pool was lovely - you get to swim with the fish. But as I said it was very crowded - you couldn't get a sun lounge if you weren't there early and certainly couldn't get a lounge in the shade if you weren't there early and then you would have to stay all day or lose it. My son had his expensive snorkel & mask stolen from around the pool - very disappointed. Staff said they would keep a look out - but it never turned up - very sad boy. All in all a nice stay. We are up early so breakfast wasn't a problem but if you got there after 8.30 especially on the weekends - the queue was out the door. Would stay again but not in school holidays

1 Thank justcruisinforfun
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed 22 January 2014

We are locals and have stayed here many times. The rooms have been refurbished fairly recently and this is a big improvement. Our room (2706) was fresh and clean with a great partial view of the ocean and up to Surfers Paradise.

We got a super deal through Travelzoo and booked/paid about 2 months in advance. Really worth it as we had access to the Elandra Retreat included. We enjoyed dropping in for a cup of coffee & biscuit and we also had pre-dinner drinks and nibbles before we headed downstairs for dinner.

Unfortunately, some people really abuse this privilege and were just plain gluttonous. They were set up at 5pm with tables all put together with a large group of friends and were still there when we returned from dinner at 8.30pm - yes, still eating and drinking.

My suggestion to the Marriott F&B Manager, would be to have the waiters serving (with room key & number of guests checked) and no longer allowing the guests to serve themselves. We were amazed to see guests in the kitchen, going to fridge and just helping themselves to whatever they wanted.
There was only 1 attendant most of the day and then 2 attendants after 6pm. These guys worked non-stop and were losing the race!! I am sure the consumption would be less and it would be far more viable to pay for 2 or 3 attendants controlling the abuse of the food & alcohol.

The pool/lagoon area is really nice. Yes, the swimming pool needs attention with tiles coming off and it looks tired. There was a slight problem with the light rail work being done next to the north end of the pool - strong odour when the workmen were welding and fairly noisy. There is a need for more shade over the sunlounges as they are the ones taken first.

Great that you can help yourself to beach towels, again this is being abused with people next to us with 3 or 4 towels each (family of 4 with about 14 towels).

We ordered from the poolside bistro and the food was good for this type of venue. In the evening we dined at the Lobby Lounge as we found out when we called to book that Citrique was closed (Monday night).

The waiter was very helpful and our drinks were served promptly. Unfortunately, the main meals took ages and my meal was only just warm. As it was chicken, I asked for it to be heated but they insisted on replacing it. My meal took so long, everyone else was finished theirs and it wasn't enjoyable. It seemed that initially everything was fine but once it got busier, the service and attentiveness went by the way.

This is a really lovely Resort and the amenities are fabulous. Just little things like having an ice machine on each floor, fabulous bathroom amenities, walk-in wardrobe with plenty of space and many choices for drinks, dining, swimming etc. make the stay very comfortable and enjoyable. The staff also deserve a mention as they are always very courteous and accommodating - whatever your query.

Let's hope the self absorbed guests don't spoil it for everyone else.
We love coming here and will be back sooner than later.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Emerald8888
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Beautiful pool, lovely feel to hotel, friendly staff especially Lisa who leads the way with a charismatic personality, children meeting other children in the pool and activities and movie nights are great for parents to enjoy a quiet beverage!

Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Moranmmm
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We stated there for a few nights in January. It was lovely resort and the lagoon was beautiful. The lagoon is Salt Water and seemed to discolour our swimming costumes somewhat which was strange. We had a mixture of Dinner & breakfast at Citrique 5 times over our few days stay. We were there with my friend and her 5yr old son as well as myself and my 4 & 5yr olds.
We enjoyed the beautiful Banquet Meals they serve. My only issue was our finally breakfast Friday Morning. My 4yr old daughter was having a apple juice in one of the glassed provided. While drinking her juice i heard a chatter sound. I turned around n found the glass had shattered in my daughters mouth. I took the glass out of her hands and i ended up grabbing a medium size piece of glass out of her mouth and then she spat the rest on the table. I was with my friend who was a RN and she said to get a glass of water and a empty glass so my daughter could wash her mouth out in which more little chards came out. After a few goes of doing this I noticed her tongue had been cut. So I informed a staff member who went n got the Manager. She was a lovely lady who could see how upset I was and my daughter was as by this stage she had crying and looked very sad. She went n got the First Aid Officer to review my daughter. He said she was fine. She then gave us a voucher for lollies and drinks to use before we checked out in 2hrs time.
I was given a curtesy call and informed that the glasses we use have been now taken off the shelf and the round thicker ones are being used full time. While I had dinned at the restaurant I had noticed some plastic cups but had never seen those when we had got our meal the night before so I was under the impression that they came with a kids meal or something. My advice is to provide all children under a certain age those cups to use when they have been seated at there table. As a mother you could imagine the terror of seeing a shattered glass at my daughters lips and then to find a shattered glass in her mouth was a nightmare I will Never Forget! If she had swallowed that fragment it would have been very very dangerous.

Room Tip: Ask for kids cups!
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 19 January 2014

the hotel is really great, the buffet breakfast and lunch was just too, too good, however, the tea was horrible! The pool area needs some work done to it, showing it's age. I was disappointed about the 'reef and fish' was led to believe that it would be like swimming on the reef in an hotel pool, not really, but then there are a lot of people in the pool so I suppose the fish don't want to be around too much. It would have been good to see more shaded areas around the pool. I saw mould on the ceiling in the main area of the hotel. All of the staff were really great, very friendly and accommodating. The room was clean and well appointed, but, the pillows were just too soft. The only other things that disappointed me were, cost to connect to the internet, should be free, the cost of drinks and food in the coffee shop and at the pool, should have taken my own supply. To finish on a good note, the availability of any number of clean towels you may need while in the pool area.

1 Thank angelamary1952
Marriott S, General Manager at Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
Dear Angela,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with our team regarding your recent stay at the Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa.

Our saltwater lagoon is home to approximately 300 tropical fish which guests can swim and snorkel with and fish feeding is conducted daily at 9.30am which is a great time to see all of the fish as they come up to the surface to feed.

Our poolside day beds are a popular choice for families looking for a more private area out of the sun while the Poolside Marquee is a great space for guests to have lunch and enjoy some shade during the day.

While there is a small fee for connecting to the internet in our guest rooms, the Resort does offer complimentary WIFI throughout the Lobby and has a dedicated Connect Lounge for the convenience of our guests.

We thank you for choosing to stay at our resort with your family and hope to welcome you all back soon when you are heading to the Gold Coast.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Surfers Paradise
Peppers Broadbeach
Peppers Broadbeach
#2 of 21 in Broadbeach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,677 reviews

Been to Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!