“Amazing”

Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
“Amazing”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I absolutely loved my stay at the Marriott. Came for a weekend away and even though it was raining had the most amazing time staying in the hotel. The highlight would be the pool and being able to snorkel with the fish. I recommend this hotel for couples and even family trips.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (590)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

This wasn't our first stay here, but we wanted a few days break and we love the pool. They are not the greatest rooms for a family. 2 double beds with no room to spare. We got a good deal to the club Elandra which absolutely made our stay. Open all day, it gave us somewhere to go, have a snack and relax.
I was annoyed that pool toys were only "for hire" and were not cheap. For a hotel of that price I always get annoyed when they try to charge extra for everything.

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank 2bundles
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 February 2014

I stayed here recently for two nights while attending a conference held in the hotel. The location is good in the heart of surfers paradise with great views of the beach. The rooms where nice with a Queensland feel, plenty of space and a comfortable bed.

Everything in the hotel seems to be done well, breakfast etc. was fine although nothing particularly outstanding. There is a good pool area with a choice of pools including one set up as a beach with fish swimming in the pool.

If you require internet access, ask to join the Marriott club as you check in, it only takes a minute or two and Internet access is free once you join. Internet speed and reliability is fine.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 February 2014

The bedrooms are very light and airy. Some of the bathroom fixtures look a little dated...separate turn tapes for the hot and cold water, but it is a nice large area with twin doors. The bedrooms are larger than normal. Breakfast buffet was very extensive and the food was of a high standard with lots of choice. Lots of underground parking with a choice of self or valet parking. The front of the property on Ferny Ave is currently a work site for the new Southport to Broadbeach tram. This will make it easier to get to the centre of Surfers Paradise which is currently 15 mins walk away. This hotel is between Southport and Surfers Paradise shopping areas. The beach is about 5mins walk away, but you have to negotiate the tram construction works. there are 2 pools one of which is a saltwater one with fish swimming in it. The lifts from the parking garage are located at the opposite end of the long foyer from the lifts to the rooms.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the hinterland on the lower levels as you are just above the tennis courts.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Syd675
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Like staying here the rooms are a bit outdates but the buffet and the lagoon make the place a kids mecca, the weather was awesome and just sitting by the pool and relaxing was fantastic, the buffet all you can eat was awesome.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Brisbane
Reviewed 16 February 2014

This is my 2nd time at the resort my first being 4 years ago. Both times with 2 adults 2 children the children now aged 7 and 10 years.
What I found was the service was not there. Both receptions are always very busy and over the weekend were many bags and people waiting around reception with long waits and the staff not really wanting to "look up" and serve the people waiting.
Even though I was told there were over 80 rooms available I could not check in early (it was 11am) so we went straight to the pool. I received a txt at 130pm to say out room was ready, granted it was a little earlier, so don't expect early check in even if you ask.
We did enjoy the pools and the lagoon, we hired a seadoo for the kids $30.00 for 1 hour and they enjoyed this a great deal- very busy in the lagoon often swimming into people
The service from the pool hut on the Saturday was very slow and again people waiting and a line to be served. The pool attendant on the Saturday seemed to be recovering from a late night the night before as he didn't seem "all there" and forgot a few requests and left us waiting.
What the Marriott doesn't realise is that everyone staying at this resort wants to take advantage of the pools and lagoon therefore are going to "stay in" more and use the pool bar, lounges and eat and drink in.
The service was so incredibly slow and AGAIN a line up nearly all day at the pool bar! The line did not disappear until around 2/3pm. Lunch 2 kids meals of calamari (only 2 rings each) and chips, 1 small plate of chips for us and a bucket of beer (4 cans) $70.00 for us. The food from the pool bar was not nice - calamari was burnt and so were the chips - they forgot the ice cream vouchers for the kids so I had to line up again after the meal
Bring your credit card ....cocktails if you want to line up and then wait a long time for them to deliver it to you if they don'f forget and leave it on the side of the pool bar start at $22.00!
Dinner - seafood buffet - my room hinterland cost $255.00(room only) my dinner for the four of us with water only no drinks was $270.00!!!!
My kids ate ice cream and burnt chicken nuggets!!
Yes I know there is a lot of seafood, prawns, scallops, bugs oysters (seafood was very bland) but I did not see the value and there was limited service. Maybe it was me but I didn't find the food to be that great at the buffet - I tried many salads and found many to be a strange taste, there was only a mongolian bbq and no other "made to order noodle dishes like they had previously - I found the staff behind the food counters to be non exsistant, and I felt as though I was putting them out. We could not get into dinner until 8:30pm - we asked several times for an earlier time as we had kids but they said "you are lucky to get 8:30pm some people have a 9:15pm time slot ..so count yourself lucky!" Again a line up at the buffet dinner and people waiting to get in or trying to get in earlier..people sitting around waiting !

If you want the buffet book this at the time of your your room to ensure a decent meal time!!

I was also barked at in the restaurant by a lady with a strong European accent "how old your kids" I didn't understand her and thought she asked how are my kids! After a few more times barking at me louder I realised what she said then she just walked away!
The room was nice - note 2 small double beds kids share and adults if you are use to a queen or a king the beds are small! Pillows yes there are four on the bed but all feather so not much neck support you sink into them - unless you like that sort of thing
Nice view from the room - ours was hinterland but we looked over the pool and could see the ocean - bathroom not renovated still the same brown/peach marble from many years ago
We didn't bother to have the buffet breakfast as this would have been over $100.00 for a family of 4 so we walked along the beach and had breakfast in surfers. I don't mind paying if I think the value is there and after spending money on buffet dinner we didn't want to disappoint ourselves.

Pool loungers - only got a pair on saturday (last ones) Sunday all were taken - not enough loungers
Pool slide - My daughter was allowed on the Sat but not on the Sun as she was told she was too short ! So that was upsetting for her - The pool slide attendant then let on 2 other boys that were shorter with their Father - Pool slide opened late on both days with many people trying to open the gate and waiting again...when it did open over 1 hour late there was again that line!!

I would hate to come here when the hotel is full!!

So if you are a family and want to stay in and use the pools eat lunch, dinner and breakfast at the resort be prepared for it to be a $700.00 weekend (for one night) and that is not splurging!!

I will not return as the staff have really let this place down and I do not think there is value for money. I have stayed in other 5 star resorts in Australia and overseas and would not rate this 5 star. I would consider it a good 4 star with 3 star service.

Room Tip: Many Hinterland which are $50.00 cheaper still have oceanviews
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank NickyandKev
Marriott S, General Manager at Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear Nicky and Kev,

We do appreciate the time you have taken to provide your feedback following your recent stay at our resort.

It is always very disappointing for our Management Team to hear when our guests have not had an enjoyable experience. As a five star resort, our main focus is on providing a high level of service and five star facilities for the enjoyment of our guests and it seems that on this occasion, we have not lived up to your expectations.

We are glad you were impressed with our newly refurbished guest rooms and enjoyed the views overlooking the hinterland. All of the rooms were refurbished in 2011 and the bathrooms are scheduled to be updated in the coming months. The resort does offer interconnecting rooms for families along with a pillow menu to accommodate the needs of our guests.

Where possible, we do try to meet early check in requests however sometimes this is not always possible, especially when the resort is running at such a high occupancy over weekend periods. We do encourage our guests to use all of the facilities and the lagoon area until their room is available so that they are able to make the most of their time here.

It is concerning to read of the issues you have experienced in regards to service and food quality by the pool and that you did not see the value in our seafood buffet available at our signature restaurant, Citrique. Along with the variety of fresh seafood that is on offer, the buffet does feature a selection of European and Asian dishes, a roast section, wood fired pizzas, salads, antipasto, freshly baked breads along with a variety of desserts and ice creams. We certainly appreciate you providing detailed feedback, and will be highlighting your comments, particularly in regards to the service you received, with our team.

In regards to our waterslide, we do endeavour to maintain a strict height limit for the safety of our guests. We sincerely apologise that this message was not consistent during your stay and impacted your family’s enjoyment by the pool on that particular day.

We hope you will give us another opportunity to regain your confidence in our resort. Please contact our Executive Office on 07 5592 9829 when planning your next visit to the Gold Coast, so that we can oversee your arrangements and ensure you of a memorable stay.
Reviewed 16 February 2014

Myself and my partner stayed there over the weekend past, i had planned to propose to her that night but was still unsure how. the lady at the reception was more than helpful helping and offering advise on how and when. she made a special booking for me at the seafood buffet which was already booked out. upon arrival the buffet floor manager at the time had organized a number of celebratory items including complimentary champagne and a bottle of wine delivered up to the room after or dinner and my proposal.

This could not have been possible without the amazing service i received from the staff at this hotel, so thank you very very much.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Firstly, a big congratulations to you and your fiancée on your recent engagement! Our team are so glad you chose our resort for such a memorable occasion and it was our pleasure assisting with the arrangements on the night.

We look forward to seeing you both again soon and wish you all the best with your wedding plans.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Surfers Paradise
Peppers Broadbeach
Peppers Broadbeach
#2 of 21 in Broadbeach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,669 reviews

Been to Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!