“Exceptional Customer Service”

Ranked #2 of 32 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Brisbane
“Exceptional Customer Service”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

I can't fault my stay at the Marriott. They went above and beyond for us any way they could and the staff were lovely, even to the point of having an esky sent to our room without requesting it as the cleaner noticed we were using the basin as an ice bucket! The pillows were amazing and so was the food. Can't wait to stay there again!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank HeidiRochelle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (587)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Seattle
Reviewed 11 March 2014

We stayed at this resort for 4 days and had a WONDERFUL experience. The restaurant is excellent with amazing breakfast and dinner buffets. The dinner buffets are legendary around those parts. The staff were friendly and helpful. The room was spectacular (24th floor suite). Amazing view of the beach and city. It is an easy walk to the beach from the hotel. you can walk down to the esplanade easily. There is a city train that is opening soon with a stop near the hotel that will make getting around very easy. We found the hotel to be very clean and also our room as well. The pool is awesome. sand beach area on both sides. a pool area for kids with a waterslide. Poolside bar service. snorkeling areas with local sea creatures swimming around. Overall our experience at this resort was amazing. I would highly recommend this hotel. It's not right on the esplanade but it is close enough to enjoy it without all the traffic. :)

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank localbuzz1
Sydney
Reviewed 9 March 2014

After staying at Marriot in November 2013 and having excellent experience returned in march hoping for the same.

Service was ok but nowhere near what it was the first time we stayed.

We booked this time with friends and invited 4 other close friends to come for drinks around the pool. After a few hours around the pool and a few trips to the pool bar our friends were asked to leave the pool area by the loss prevention officer. As a group we were not unruly or even loud, quite the opposite. Which meant as a group we went elsewhere to spend our money. So loss prevention officer is doing great job of loosing your hotel money.

The following day returned to the pool and after hiring and item from the pool area to be tapped on the shoulder and again asked if I was staying at the hotel and for my room number by the loss prevention officer. After going for a swim and returning to my seat I was again approached within minutes by the same loss prevention officer and asked how many people were in our room before she went and made a phone call to confirm.

This is complete and utter overkill and guests are made to feel like they are doing something wrong as they are constantly checked upon.

I understand that hotels would experience theft especially around the pool area but I am of the opinion that the money would be better spent in having a qualified lifeguard in the pool area rather than a loss prevention officer that harasses your guests.

The service was what we returned for, not sure we will be back.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank BenAnderson1988
Marriott S, General Manager at Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Dear Mr Anderson,

I would like to firstly thank you for taking the time to write your feedback regarding your experiences.

Our saltwater lagoon is a very unique feature of the resort offering guests the opportunity to swim and snorkel with a variety of tropical fish.

At this time of year the lagoon is extremely popular and our team tries to preserve this area for the sole use of hotel guests.

Our Loss Prevention team aim to be consistent with their approach however I am sorry if you were made to feel like you were being harassed as you have described.

We thank you for sharing your comments with us and do hope to be given the chance to welcome you back to the Resort again in the near future.

Kind Regards
Neeraj Chadha
Brisbane
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Unfortunately the start of my weeks stay here was disappointing and set the time for the rest of the trip.

I was almost 8 months pregnant and on attempting to check in at 230pm was told my room wasn't ready. I was upset given I had travelled a long way but was told it would be very soon so I sat and waited. Half an hour later I went back to the check in desk and was told very rudely that my room was not ready. It was a very hot day and I wasn't offered so much as a glass of water while I waited! I asked again twice more and each time was told to wait and that my room needed to be checked by a supervisor. Eventually at 415pm one of the hotel employees came up and asked me I was ok - miraculously this lady was able to get me my room key. No offer to help with my bags, I just couldn't believe a hotel like the marriott could be so terrible in their treatment of a pregnant guest!

My terrible experience didn't end there. On one of the days I had lunch at the hotel I was told I had to sit on the bottom level of the restaurant - down the stairs away from the buffet (because I was with a conference) despite the fact that again I was heavily pregnant and had sat down with my meal and drink. I had to carry my meal down stairs - it was just very uncomfortable and embarrassing. Again, I was so surprised the staff were so insensitive.

On the morning I was to check out of the hotel I had a knock in the door at 8am where a staff member asked me when I was checking out - I said I wasn't sure as had just woken up. She then asked if I checked in yesterday, I said no and she walked away! I don't understand what she wanted and can only assume she had the wrong room. No apology offered for waking me up!

I ordered room service two nights and must admit those times the staff were friendly and helpful.

I wanted to do express check out but when I checked the bill they had left they had charged me for two lunches I didn't have at the hotel so I phoned to get the hill fixed - was left on hold for 15 mins before I gave up and went downstairs. Lining up yet again! Finally got served and the bill fixed up.

Overall it was just an awful experience. The rooms and pool areas are great but I can't recommend and would never stay again based on the low level of customer service.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Kylie E
Dear Kylie,

Thank you for taking the time to write to us regarding your recent stay. Please accept my most sincere apologies for the lapse in service and would like the opportunity to speak with you in person to gain more insight into the issues raised.

Please do contact our Executive Office on (07) 55 929829 at your convenience and thank you again for sharing your feedback.

Kind Regards
Neeraj Chadha
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We only stayed one night but it was very comfortable with good views & good service so definitely taken the fatigue away from our rush trip. The walk to the beach & shops were easy though at night someone drunk might throw a bottle or stuff (luckily we didnt get hit) just wish the ?tram right in front could be completed sooner. Didnt manage to get to the pool either, well, perhaps there's a "next time".

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Marriott hotel. Gorgeous salt water pool, slide for the kids and dedicated staff. The Marriott is in a prime location with a short walk to local shopping centres and tourist attractions. However it can be a very pricey stay so start saving!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Foodies2345
Parkwood, Australia
Reviewed 2 March 2014

When I visit the Marriott I find I walk in and fell like I have just arrived overseas
We come here quiet often and we love it we find the staff are amazing
Location and pool ,day spa rooms are beautiful
We have had many special celebrations here from birthdays engagement ,wedding night and just weekends away we just keep coming back.
We come most weekends for the buffet breakfast and find it's one of the best on the Coast
The only negative things I can say is
Dinner can be a little bland sometimes and find it has been very much the exact same on the menu every time .
And the new parking machines I know it's only a few $ but it's a pain especially when u are paying hundreds a night then still have to pay $10 plus for parking the next day is a bit rude

Room Tip: Ocean view
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EM B
Marriott S, General Manager at Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
As one of our regular guests, we greatly appreciate your loyalty to Marriott and for choosing to share so many special occasions with us here at Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa.

The resort really is a destination in itself and it is a great place to escape for a little break while still being close to home.

Our Seafood Buffet in Citrique is always a popular choice with locals and consistently offers a selection of fresh seafood which forms the centrepiece of the buffet in addition to a variety of European and Asian inspired dishes, wood fired pizzas, roast meats, antipasto and more. We do regularly revise the offering based on local produce that is in season and to ensure that all of our guest’s tastes are catered for especially those who frequently visit the restaurant.

Recently the resort introduced paid parking underneath the hotel for a nominal charge of $2 for up to 3 hours and $10 for a 24 hour period. This facility was introduced to ensure that car parking spaces were only available for our hotel guests and locals visiting the restaurants, and to ensure that our guests have the convenience of parking onsite, directly underneath the hotel.

We thank you for sharing your comments with us and look forward to celebrating many more special occasions with you and your family in the future.