“Hotel let down by poor quality bed”

Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Queensland
“Hotel let down by poor quality bed”
Reviewed 28 May 2009

I booked a weekend at the Marriott to celebrate my birthday. I had stayed there before and seemed to remember that it was a good hotel, perhaps the best place to stay in Surfers Paradise. Unfortunately, the poor quality of the bed ruined what was otherwise a great weekend.

The hotel does have a lot of good points but if the bed is not comfortable then it is not really doing its job as a hotel ie a place to sleep.

The pool area is beautifully designed and you could be forgiven for not going to the beach. Some of the pools are heated so you can still swim in Autumn.

The gym has a decent number of treadmills and weight machines. People actually use it. I've been to other hotels where the gym is of such poor quality that you look at it but never use it.

The spa, attached to the hotel, is also worth a visit. Apparently you have to pay $15 pp to use the spa and sauna if you're not getting a treatment. We agreed to pay this but they never charged us. I didn't object to the charge as they provide good quality facilities, have robes, towels, toiletries etc. One might argue that they shouldn't be imposing a charge but if it keeps the spa exclusive and relatively quiet i don't mind.

The restaurants are both quite good. The teppanyaki restaurant is definitely worth a visit as the seafood used is top quality. The new sake bar in the restaurant is a nice touch and worth stopping at before dinner. The buffet restaurant offers a good buffet with plenty of variety. The a la carte menu is less than inspiring but the food is good quality.

If you're staying on a busy weekend I would suggest an upgrade to the Elandra Retreat. I didn't do this but regretted it on Sunday morning when there was a 20 minute wait for a table at breakfast. The staff at this restaurant are very obliging and go out of their way to keep you happy. I felt sorry for one staff member who was working flat out at the omelette station. There were a few people waiting and she had 3 omelettes on the go. One customer asked for the omelette to be only lightly cooked. When it wasn't she made the chef cook it again. The chef's restraint in this situation was admirable.

The standard room is spacious. The chair and ottoman are not particularly comfortable and too upright for lounging. The TV is CRT and the picture is quite fuzzy when you're used to flatscreen and LCD. The bathroom is large with separate bath and shower.

The bed, however, was just not comfortable. We couldn't sleep properly both nights we stayed. Only two months ago I toured Australia staying at all different sorts of places none of which were 5 star or as expensive as the Marriott. They all had better beds and I had no problems sleeping. Unlike the Marriotts in Sydney and Melbourne this one does not have Revive Bedding.

In summary a good hotel but not great. This is my opinion as a person from Brisbane who doesn't have kids. The hotel is really targetted at tourists and/or families so I'm not really the kind of customer they are trying to serve. Despite this, the poor quality bed is unforgivable. I would only stay here for one night, to enjoy the restaurants, and then go home to sleep in a proper bed.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CharlesDP

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (598)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 26 May 2009

I was just at the Marriot for 3 nights with my wife and 9 year old daughter. It was cold and stormy but we enjoyed watching the gale from our 17th floor ocean facing room. Staff were courteous and helpful, and the hotels placement outside the somewhat grungy core of downtown a good one (a 10 minute walk). Our room was just a standard, but we thought very well equipped and spacious. The view was amazing. The concierge guys were excellent, and overall service very good. Highlights were... the beach of course (a 5 minute walk), Alfresco's Italian Restaurant (a local favorite), Chang Mai Thai Restaurant and Sea World (great shows and fun rides). Special mention must be made of Mermaids Restaurant in Burleigh Head. It was a 15 minute drive and well worth it. The restaurant is right on the water, and enjoying the surfers over breakfast was fabulous. We never ate in the Marriots restaurant so I can't comment, thought room service was prompt and the food good. It was too cold to swim in the lagoon, though we did anyway and there were lots of fish. Overall I would say our stay was very good, and the value of the hotel strong. We did a pay for 2 nights and get the 3rd night free scheme through expedia.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank JohnnyATraveller
Melbourne
Reviewed 25 May 2009

I stayed at the hotel for the first time with my husband and two boys (11 & 13) we upgraded to an executive suite which gave us a separate lounge, two bathrooms, one had a fantastic spa with 240 degree views, two t.vs and being on the 23rd floor great views of the pool and the beach. We found the decoration to be fresh and the beds and pillows soo comfy. The boys really loved the nightly turn down which included chocolates every night. The service was great and the staff very helpful and friendly. The buffet breakfast is a must, they have everything !! We tried the evening buffet and the wine buffet and again the quality and choice of the food was great, although is was $90 a head for both.
The boys enjoyed both of the swimming pools and the pool table in the lobby lounge. The location was great as it is close to all the theme parks.
Although not a cheap option this hotel deserves 5 stars.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank MelbourneVisitors
Toronto
Reviewed 16 May 2009

I normally stay at Marriott hotels - as do many of my coworkers. I came down under for a conference and booked this property. It looked nicer than its sister property (the courtyard).

Enter the room:
King, non-smoking. $200/night. Nice view of the mountains.

My impression - this was a nice room in its day. It could use some refreshing though. Old NEC tube tele (fuzzy picture), carpet seems a bit worn, noisy bar fridge rather than a more standard modern mini-bar. That last bit is almost a plus (minus the noise) as I can put my own stuff in it.
Bathroom (ewwww). Black mold on the shower head. Shower head mount is broken. Tub chipped and lights inexplicable buzzing loudly.
Bathroom is overall very dark.

I checked out another room - black mold around the tub and the AC was making some pretty awful screeching noises (I think the fan is shot). Went back to first room and met housekeeping who had been called. Their comment was "ewwww, call engineering" which they did. Shower head, its mount and the buzzing light replaced.

Tried the internet ($20/day for "high speed"). Painfully slow. Technician said that rooms are capped at 250kbps down and 19kbps up. The whole hotel shares a 2Mbps link so in theory 8 rooms can use the service before it gets clogged. Don't stay here if you need to do any work on VPN.

In short: Not up to Marriott standards and certainly not a 5* experience. Housekeeping needs to step up their game and the hotel needs some work....and more internets.

The lobby looks great and the service with regards to solving the problems was mediocre. I got given a lecture by front desk staff for not letting them know that the second room wasn't habitable for almost an hour (I was dealing with engineering during that time). Sorry if I inconvenienced them at all in trying to resolve issues that shouldn't be there in the first place.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank JohnnyRand0m
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 2 May 2009

Stayed for a few nights, loved the pool action, almost forgot that a real beach was less than 200m away.

The service was impeccable, but the rooms and general decor are a little dated.

The Japanese Steakhouse is a must do, although a little pricey.

Great hotel overall, although avoid the school holidays as this is a definite family resort.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank aussieeuro27
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 April 2009

We stayed for 4-5 nights, family with two children. The pools are great, the water slide a huge hit, but so cold that adults and kids turned blue. The dinner buffet was disapointing-the seafood great, but anything cooked was 6/10. The breakfast was better, and although some guests were impressed by the automatic pancake maker, it turned out pale thin pancakes--in a 5 star hotel, i expected better. They have gluten free food which was great for us. There are a few 'money grabbing' aspects that soured it for us..water noodles are $5 to rent at the hyatt, they would have been 'free', entry to a lovely looking spa was $15 for a steam, again this should be free to guests and the treatments were more than you would expect say $185 for a facial--the place was empty, again at the hyatt guest can use the facilities and pay for treatments. The housekeeping was inconsistant-towels missing, not hung back, items not supplied. While we were here, it was my daughter's bday and although 4-5 staff knew, there was no little birthday gesture- a flower or a chocolate--thinking of our previous stays in 5 or fiji resorts, im sure they would have done something nice. The doorman was lovely! Another pet hate, is two bottles of spring or mineral water on the tables with price, this is not 5 star standard--i asked them to remove it and towards the end of our stay they did so automatically. The main arcade in surfers is to be avoided.! Whilst i have kids, they may want to cord off a section of the pool for adults as all the kids totally take over--again hyatt coolum has this facility!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank simone64
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 29 April 2009

Beautiful lobby area with an old Southern Plantation feel. Everything was clean and well maintained. There were many nice things about the place, but I don't know, we kind of just felt like a number here... The bed was plenty comfy, the room nice, but on the smallish size. I like a large bathroom, but would have sacrificed that space for a larger room size. This seemed kind of out of proportion. We did not get an upgrade, but to be fair, the hotel was packed! The pool area is very nice and you can get drinks and snacks there. Very family oriented place and all of the children seemed to be having a fabulous time. It was fun to watch them running about and seeing their excitement from the fishes and slides.

We did try the seafood buffet; it was okay. We felt it was a bit overpriced for the level of seafood offered. The wine buffet was an interesting concept. We had fun at the Benihana, but again, the food was only so-so. We found the food at the beachfront restaurants nearby to be much better and more reasonably priced.

One thing that bugged me. As platinum members, we noticed no benefit whatsoever staying at this resort (and YES, considering the amount of money that we spend being loyal to them, we DO feel entitled!). There were no upgrades, goodies, breakfast offers, discounts, or free drinks. We were denied access to the Concierge Lounge unless we paid an exorbitant amount per day. On inquiry, they offered to take us up and show us around. The place was deserted, no doubt due to the high cost associated. We declined.

This place did not really give me the warm fuzzies, but it didn't really turn me off either. The location is nice and the view is, as well. I can see just loving the place if I were a child. Families with lil ones will no doubt have a lovely time here....

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
#7 of 31 in Surfers Paradise
Meriton Suites Broadbeach
Meriton Suites Broadbeach
#1 of 21 in Broadbeach

Been to Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!