I booked a weekend at the Marriott to celebrate my birthday. I had stayed there before and seemed to remember that it was a good hotel, perhaps the best place to stay in Surfers Paradise. Unfortunately, the poor quality of the bed ruined what was otherwise a great weekend.
The hotel does have a lot of good points but if the bed is not comfortable then it is not really doing its job as a hotel ie a place to sleep.
The pool area is beautifully designed and you could be forgiven for not going to the beach. Some of the pools are heated so you can still swim in Autumn.
The gym has a decent number of treadmills and weight machines. People actually use it. I've been to other hotels where the gym is of such poor quality that you look at it but never use it.
The spa, attached to the hotel, is also worth a visit. Apparently you have to pay $15 pp to use the spa and sauna if you're not getting a treatment. We agreed to pay this but they never charged us. I didn't object to the charge as they provide good quality facilities, have robes, towels, toiletries etc. One might argue that they shouldn't be imposing a charge but if it keeps the spa exclusive and relatively quiet i don't mind.
The restaurants are both quite good. The teppanyaki restaurant is definitely worth a visit as the seafood used is top quality. The new sake bar in the restaurant is a nice touch and worth stopping at before dinner. The buffet restaurant offers a good buffet with plenty of variety. The a la carte menu is less than inspiring but the food is good quality.
If you're staying on a busy weekend I would suggest an upgrade to the Elandra Retreat. I didn't do this but regretted it on Sunday morning when there was a 20 minute wait for a table at breakfast. The staff at this restaurant are very obliging and go out of their way to keep you happy. I felt sorry for one staff member who was working flat out at the omelette station. There were a few people waiting and she had 3 omelettes on the go. One customer asked for the omelette to be only lightly cooked. When it wasn't she made the chef cook it again. The chef's restraint in this situation was admirable.
The standard room is spacious. The chair and ottoman are not particularly comfortable and too upright for lounging. The TV is CRT and the picture is quite fuzzy when you're used to flatscreen and LCD. The bathroom is large with separate bath and shower.
The bed, however, was just not comfortable. We couldn't sleep properly both nights we stayed. Only two months ago I toured Australia staying at all different sorts of places none of which were 5 star or as expensive as the Marriott. They all had better beds and I had no problems sleeping. Unlike the Marriotts in Sydney and Melbourne this one does not have Revive Bedding.
In summary a good hotel but not great. This is my opinion as a person from Brisbane who doesn't have kids. The hotel is really targetted at tourists and/or families so I'm not really the kind of customer they are trying to serve. Despite this, the poor quality bed is unforgivable. I would only stay here for one night, to enjoy the restaurants, and then go home to sleep in a proper bed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The award-winning Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa couples quiet luxury with spacious accommodation and intuitive service, providing an unforgettable hotel experience for guests here on the Gold Coast. Tucked amidst sparkling lagoons, white sandy beaches, and cascading waterfalls, the 216 room fully integrated resort offers amenities to please the entire family; from quiet pool zones and unique aquatic experiences to bike rentals and a new Kid's Activities Centre. The immaculately appointed hotel accommodation offers floor-to-ceiling windows, marble bathrooms, and pillow top mattresses. Step out onto your balcony and revel in the beauty of your Gold Coast surroundings. Treat yourself to superb cuisine at Misono, Citrique, or Chapter & Verse bar and lounge, or book a day of pampering at Ruby Spa. Those planning events here on the Gold Coast can make use of the expansive function room space including the stylish Marriott Ballroom. Indulge, discover and explore in effortless style at Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Ctrip TA, Expedia, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Agoda, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort And Spa
- Surfers Paradise Marriott Hotel Surfers Paradise
- Marriott Surfers Paradise Hotel
- Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa Gold Coast, Australia