“An absolute pleasure”

Ranked #2 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Melbourne, Australia
“An absolute pleasure”
Reviewed 6 August 2009

My husband and I stayed here late July 2009 as I had a big examination to attend and he came along for the ride. It was just great. The hotel itself is lovely. The decor is a bit dated but did not seem shabby or kitsch. Everything was beautifully clean. Our room was on the 25th floor and had stunning views. There was minimal noise (except with the balcony door open).

The room was spacious with 2 double beds and a desk, with a separate cupboard with luggage rack and a safe- heaps of room for our belongings. The bed was supremely comfortable firm pillow top with feather cushions. The bathroom was large with a separate bath and shower. Fairly standard but nice complementary toiletries. Lots of big white towels and bathrobes which were great.

The TV was a disappointment, particularly the night before the exam when I just wanted to relax- a very old CRT model with quite bad reception for the free to air channels. But typical of many hotels.

The service throughout was outstanding. Everyone was friendly and lovely and extremely helpful- from the front desk right through to housekeeping etc. The concierges were able to make helpful restaurant recommendations- not just the usual tourist traps. The front desk were able to wrap a gift for us. We didn't tip once throughout and the friendly service continued.

Room service was quite good, but the food is better in the restaurant. The seafood buffet was a disappointment.

The pool area was just phenomenal. It was huge, beautifully maintained with lush gardens and very clean. There is a man made lagoon with tropical fish where you can snorkel, and also a waterfall screening a secluded area. There are sand beaches on either side and rows of deckchairs. There is bar and poolside service for food and drink. The other pool is a long and narrow winding area which then opens up into a larger regular pool. Both were wonderful. There is also a waterslide and two separate hot spa areas.

The beauty spa at the Marriott was lovely- the staff were really nice and made us feel very relaxed. I had a full body massage and it was very relaxing, as was having my hair washed and blow dried afterwards (an additional fee).

The hotel was quite close to the beach- a less than five minute walk if you dash across the highway and cut through the other hotel carparks, which is easy to do and not illegal. We did swim in the ocean a couple of times, it was lovely even at that time of the year.

Overall, we had a lovely time and would certainly stay again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank Trupti P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (598)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Mullingar
Reviewed 2 August 2009

We had a 8 night stay for our honeymoon in June. We arrived on a Sunday morning after flying in from Ireland. We were jet lagged and feeling grotty. Because we were so early there was no room available but the lady on reception was fantastic and allowed us to use the day spa shower facilities to shower and freshen up so we could go and do something with the day. On return in the afternoon we were checked into a standard room as we had booked but they put us on the 25th floor with ocean views. It was amazing - there was a lovely note in our room and champagne, the bathroom had rose petals and a candle by the bath. There was a huge wardrobe, a great big bed, lovely balcony which overlooked the fabulous pools. We couldn't want for anything more.
All staff we came in contact with during our stay were helpful and friendly, they made you feel important and not just another number in the hotel.
The pools were fantastic, it was the middle of winter and the lagoon pool is a bit fresh but still definitely worth getting a snorkel and swimming with the tropical fish. The other pool was quite warm.
Meals were fantastic - breakfast buffet was amazing, didn't get sick of it at all after 8 days. The evening buffet is excellent too - a little dear if you don't eat seafood but they had a coupon offer at the time and we got it half price. Benihana Japanese was fab - we had never eaten Japanese before but it really was lovely. Quite expensive menu but the early bird before 6 is a steal and you leave extremely full!
The location was excellent too - out of the noise and hustle and bustle of Surfers, but only a ten minute walk. The beach is only a couple of minutes away too.
The only drawback with this hotel was that the dayspa is owned separately so that means if you want to use the gym, sauna etc it costs money. I was worried after reading some of the reviews on here but the room and hotel were absolutely brilliant. I'm sure in the future the rooms will get a make over as there are no flat screen tv's, and the carpet is green - a little dated - but does that really affect the stay? Not at all it was just a brilliant stay!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BondKeogh
Auckland, NZ
Reviewed 31 July 2009

I booked 4 nights in July in a twin Hinterland room and bought my 9 yr old niece. On arrival at 7.30pm we were upgraded for free to an ocean view room on the 20th floor. What a fantastic room, it was lovely and sunny, had a brilliant view of the beach and north. Didn't have many of the problems others have said, never found the lobby noisy or crowded. Met many friendly people, I found the atmosphere at the pool very relaxing. There were heaps of loungers available, it was semi school holidays, Queensland had just gone back to school but NZ and much of Australia were still on holidays. Also the weather was incredible, blue skies and 21-24 everyday. My only complaint about the pool would be that there weren't many umbrellas, which is fine in July. There are a few trees which put shade on some areas but in the middle of summer I wouldn't be so keen? There are 2 spa pools at the pool area which were very well frequented while we were there as the pools were a little cold. I bought a swimming ring for my niece for $6.50 at a souvenir shop in town which she loved, they are $10 at Marriott to hire. One thing about this pool is you can spend hours down there, so although you spend more to stay at the Marriott, you don't actually have to go anywhere, if the weather is good you can fill the day easily, which makes good cheap entertainment.
We had one breakfast in the main restaurant. Didn't get the buffet and found the a la carte to be excellent! I had pancakes which were $15 and it was huge and they were full of blueberries and bananas. Excellent value. My neice got cereal which was help yourself from the buffet and she was allowed to go back. She also had a side of hash browns which were very good value also. We had room service for one dinner and found the meals were also huge and very good value, vegetarian canneloni was amazing! So we had no complaints about the food at all.
We found the location excellent. It was out of the main craziness of surfers yet about a 10 minute walk to shops and supermarket. Also very close to the bus stops, we caught buses north and south and also to Seaworld.
I got talking to a few people while I was here and the general feeling we all had was that the pool area/facilities would suit any age. It was excellent and lovely landscaped gardens. My only comment about the pool area is that because it is 2 large pools, I noticed that most kids frequently went between both and could disappear in the long skinnier one down to the other end. Can get a bit hard to keep an eye on them all the time. Hence my niece had a ring and floated everywhere, which was much easier for me. And I also noted that most people generally seemed to keep an eye on everyone. Just something to bear in mind if you want to not move from your lounger as there are no lifegaurds here.
We found all the staff to be very friendly and went out of their way to be helpful (I have stayed at 4 Seasons & Versace previously) and have to say I was not disappointed here at all! Excellent stay and I would recommend to anyone and will definitely come back!
Just like to add that we went to Q1 late in the day and saw the view at sunset and then at night and had dinner over the road at Waves buffet at the Watermark Hotel. Was a fantastic buffet & had a choc fountain. A taxi back was $9. Was all well worth it!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank Julz9
Maynooth, Ireland
Reviewed 25 July 2009

Stayed here for three nights recently and had a mixed stay.

When we checked in we were asked if we wanted to upgrade our room to a sea view - as opposed to a hinterland view - the cost was not huge (around Aus $50 per night I think) so we opted for this.

Room was very nice - lovely balcony on the 24th floor. SPacious room and good use of space. CLean and comfy bed.

Small things irked me about my stay - and 1 BIG thing.

2 examples of small things which bothered me, but may not bother you were:

1. Barman bringing me the bill without me asking for it. We ordered 1 drink each and all of a sudden he comes to my table and hands me the bill. POOR service. You should at least ask the customer would they like anything else BEFORE presenting them with the bill.

2. I asked for a Pizza in the Restaurant and asked for Prawns to be added. The pizza came out with no Prawns so I sent the pizza back. The chef just put the pizza back in the oven to keep it warm and then placed lots of prawns on top of the pizza. This was not great service. When the wrong dish comes out (which can happen and is easily forgivable in my book), the chef should preper a fresh dish from scratch. I was not charged for it by the way as I only ate once slice. It was not good.

The BIG thing that got to me was that a brochure from the hotel manager was circulated around the hotel and we found one in our room that advertised Full Buffet Breakfast for the price of a Continental Breakfast for a period which I think extends to mid August.

When we had breakfast there, we were billed the full amount - $16 per breakfast too much. Restaurant Staff then told me that they only gave the "special offer" to the locals and not to hotel guests.

This was denied by reception staff and they did amend my bill to reflect the correct breakfast price (Mon-Friday only by the way).

I wonder how many other people were overcharged and did not have the bill rectified?

The receptionist who was very quick to upsell us an upgrade in room type was very slow to sell us the hotel's breakfast package which would have saved us a good deal of money!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank slumped
Mumbai
Reviewed 23 July 2009

We were on our honeymoon, after staying in Hotel Palazzo versace i thought we would not be impressed by marriott but we were wrong, our room was on 12th floor and the view was amazing from the balcony, the rooms were spacious and so were the bathroom. The pool was also very good. Thought the lobby was always crowded and noisy. the room service was not that great as we expect from a 5 star hotel. and also very OK breakfast, didint have variety for vegetarian. It is not on the beach but walking distance from it, very primly located. Overall very good experience

• Liked — Room, View, Pool
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank krutin
new zealand
Reviewed 22 July 2009

Stayed for 5 nights whilst husband attended conference in hotel. Definite feel of big corporate hotel catering for huge volumes of people. A well oiled machine with lots of friendly staff. Very impressive. BUT all just a bit impersonal.
Pool and lagoon area nicely landscaped and attractive. Even in mid July the kids could swim as pool heated. Pool hut hired out pool toys for the kids at what seemed to be an atronomical amount. I actually bought a pool toy in town for the same amount it would have cost to hire for an hour. I guess you pay for the convenience but what a difference it would make to be charged a nominal amount.....
Rooms were spotless and big enough - we had two adjoining rooms which made a fantastic amount of space. Noisy air con system though. Beds super comfortable!
One word of warning. Be prepared to pay a visa surcharge if that is your method of bill payment. We heard a couple complaining and were told they could pay with cash to avoid surcharge....!!! Not ideal.
Overall I have absolutely no complaints, just a few comments. I'm not the biggest fan of these huge hotels but despite that the Marriot seems to do a fantastic job of catering for the masses.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank kintailnz
Kodiak, Alaska
Reviewed 19 July 2009

My 6-year old son and I loved our 5 day stay at the Marriott in Surfers. I am a pretty picky traveller and I enjoyed almost everything about this hotel. The Benihana on the 3rd floor was excellent and the activities desk was very helpful. The only problem I had with the hotel was that there was often a lengthy wait for the elevators. Will definitely stay here again if we come back to surfers.

Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
#7 of 31 in Surfers Paradise
Meriton Suites Broadbeach
Meriton Suites Broadbeach
#1 of 21 in Broadbeach

Been to Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!