“A simply stunning resort hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa

Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
auckland
“A simply stunning resort hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2009

My recent stay at the Marriot was a wonderfully relaxing experience. Right from our original check in, everything seemed to gel. We had a beautiful room (with plenty of space for a childs rollaway bed) complete with a panoramic view of the ocean & river. The decor was fresh & modern with everything you could ask for, including gorgeous aromatherapy bath products. The pool area is paradise, complete with a coral reef, hydro slide & current pool.
Poolside food was a little on the 'deep fried' side & our hotel breakfast seemed somewhat overpriced, but overall the food quality was fine. Every staff member at the Marriot was friendly & helpful, making us feel so welcome day & night. Location is great, as its a quick cab ride to the brilliant Tedder ave- where all the great restaurants are & a 15 minute walk to Cavill ave. I would recommend the Marriot, especially if you have
children with you, as the pools will keep them amused for hours. Overall, a wonderful experience with perfect Gold Coast weather all the way.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank LOVRICH

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (575)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2009

Our room was on the 19th floor and had views of both the Hinterland and ocean. The check-in staff were friendly and helpful. We paid to upgrade to the Elandra Retreat Club, and enjoyed the coffees, cakes, wine, canapes and also breakfast there the next morning. This meant that we enjoyed a spectacular view of the ocean from the 27th floor, rather than fight the crowds for the buffet in the main restaurant downstairs. We were happy to get lounge chairs by the pool (as we found in the past it can be very difficult to get them on sunny days at this resort) and we had a lovely day relaxing by the pool. Although one of the staff serving drinks was a little patronising when I asked a question about the pool area closing at 4 o'clock for a private function. I was not aware that it was happening, and asked if it meant the whole pool was closing. He said in quite a sarcastic tone that it was well signed around the place (I only saw signs at the bar, so if hadn't gone up to order a drink, I would not have known), and then he turned to talk to another staff member. I continued waiting to order a drink, but gave up and walked away. Not sure why he was grumpy, but the rest of the staff in the whole resort were lovely, especially the young lady working in the Elandra Club on the Saturday 26th Sept and Sunday 27th.
Our room was nice, bed was comfy, although I wish I had asked for firmer pillows, as both my husband and I woke up with sore necks from the very soft feather pillows. But I am sure other people would find those pillows great! Unfortunately there was quite a lot of mould growing in the corners of the shower, and hair left on the bath. Also, the room smelt of dirty mop water for the first few hours we were there. Perhaps the cleaning staff need to use stronger cleaning products...
We left the resort feeling very relaxed and rejuvenated after only 2 days.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank MacyO
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2009

I went to Gold Coast for a business conference and have chosen to stay at the Marriott Surfers Paradise Hotel for three nights at $249 per night. This hotel is located next to the Gold Coast Highway and it is around 15 mins walk (North) of the main drag. It is also situated at the quiet side of Surfers Paradise, away from all the clubs and pubs. The hotel has a nice outdoor decent size tropical pool with a nice water fall - the pool even has tropical fish in it! Of all the hotels I have stayed at, I am most impressed with this swimming pool It has all the standard amenties - business centre, gymnasium and a club foor.

My booking is an ocean view double queen bed room - located on level 9. As the hotel is located on the Western side of the Gold Coast Highway, it has distanced ocean view. The hotel is also on elevated ground so level 9 provides you a moderate view of the ocean. However, the high rises across the highway do block the view so don't expect this to be spectacular. The balcony is small and has two deck chairs and a small table.

The room itself is very spacious - it fits two queen beds in with plenty of room spare. It has a work desk and a single seater armchair. The TV is an old style CRT device - I was expecting some morden like a plasma or LCD TV. It has a walk-in walkdrobe and an electronic safe - big enough to store a decent size laptop and other small valuable items like cameras, wallets, keys etc.

The bathroom has generous space - nice deep bath tub and spacious separate shower area. They also provide bath robes as well. All the toiletries they provide have a lemongrass theme and it is rather refreshing.

There is turn down service available but you need to ring room service in advance. They change all the wet towels and provide you with a couple of bite size chocolate - no water.

Local paper is complementary but if you want SMH, The Australian or AFR etc, they charge $3. Internet charges are $$19.95 per 24 hours. Breakfast is pretty expensive if you do not pre-book - $37(?!) and $26 if you book in advance. As I am here for a business conference, I didn't have time to go out for dinner and opted for room service instead. They have a fairly wide ranging selections and are at reasonable cost. Food quality is great and service is exceptional. If you decide to order room service after 11pm, you will only get very few choices like pasta, sandwiches or soup etc.

It has an underground parking but not sure how much they charge. I notice there is no security gate and this appears to be the trend at the Gold Coast. Personally, I don't feel comfortable to park a rental car in an insecure car park.

In the morning, I tend to find getting a taxi rather challenging. I generally have to wait 15 mins before one is available. Not sure if this is due to the location of the hotel or a general lack of taxi within the area.

Overall, this has been a very plesant experience. I am impressed with the quality of the hotel, food and attention to details provided by all the staff. I feel it is more family oriented than for business travellers.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank au_syd_traveller
Brisbane
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2009

Fantastic resort, beautiful gardens, amazing pool, with a salt water lagoon. All the facilies are there. Spa, choce of restaurants. Benihanna Tempin Restaurant is outstanding.
Being a surfer you are only a short walk over to the beach to Narrow neck and the artifical reef, where I got some nice barrel time.
Many thanks to the Mgt and staff at the Marriott Surfers Paradise, my wife, daughter and I had a weekend and that left us totally relaxed and recharged.
Everything we wanted was provided, everyone was so friendly attentive and most of all really seemed to care !

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank burger01
Perth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2009

I booked the Marriott Surfers Paradise Report as a surprise for my boyfriend's 30th birthday. Check in was smooth and fast. The reception staff were extremely friendly. We did have to wait a while for the concierge to deliver our luggage to our room. We ended up going back downstairs and took it up ourselves but this didn't really bother us.

We stayed on the 7th floor in a Guest Room with Ocean View which overlooked the lagoon and swimming area, the river and did have a small view of the ocean...absolutely breathtaking! There was just so much to see in one glance. It truly felt like we were on a holiday.

We ordered pizzas and cocktails at the poolside which were promptly delivered and were delicious. They weren't cheap, but we didn't expect cheap so were more than happy to pay the prices here and there. They also deliver pizza to your room...mouth watering.

The buffet breakfast was also a luxury. Pastries, cereal, toast, eggs benedict, eggs how you like them, fruit...you can even tell the chef to whip up your own custom made omelette! To top it off, bottomless sparkling wine! On one of the days I ordered strawberry pancakes a la carte, however they delivered blueberry ones to me. I sent it back while they made the right ones, and in the meantime they delivered a bunch of pastries to us which was a nice touch to soften their mistake.

The foyer is very relaxing and beautiful. We never had to wait for a lift. We were charged correctly. The atmosphere is very comfortable and is family friendly without being swamped with kids. We stayed at the Palazzo Versace for a few nights during this trip and it didn't compare to the Marriott in terms of value for money and warm, comfortable atmosphere.

On the last day, my boyfriend accidentally smashed a glass on the floor. Upon calling reception a cleaner came up to clean the mess and made us feel like it was no problem at all. She even had a bit of a joke with us.

Overall, our stay at the Marriott was an experience we will never forget.

Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank amoxyspasm
Queensland, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2009

The Surfers Paradise Marriott is one of the all time best hotels for families. We have gone there regularly for the past 9 years and our children absolutely love it. The rooms are high quality although starting to date a little. Service is excelllent from beginning to end and the breakfasts are just wonderful.

The hotel is very friendly towards children but even a couple could stay there and just treat themselves to something special. The Spa is lovely and the japanese restaurant is really good although be sure to book ahead.

But best of all is the pool and water slide. Tthe current pool keeps kids busy for hours and the slide is well supervised and safe.

Surfers Paradise Marriott is a winner!

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank seaview088
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2009

My husband and I stayed here late July 2009 as I had a big examination to attend and he came along for the ride. It was just great. The hotel itself is lovely. The decor is a bit dated but did not seem shabby or kitsch. Everything was beautifully clean. Our room was on the 25th floor and had stunning views. There was minimal noise (except with the balcony door open).

The room was spacious with 2 double beds and a desk, with a separate cupboard with luggage rack and a safe- heaps of room for our belongings. The bed was supremely comfortable firm pillow top with feather cushions. The bathroom was large with a separate bath and shower. Fairly standard but nice complementary toiletries. Lots of big white towels and bathrobes which were great.

The TV was a disappointment, particularly the night before the exam when I just wanted to relax- a very old CRT model with quite bad reception for the free to air channels. But typical of many hotels.

The service throughout was outstanding. Everyone was friendly and lovely and extremely helpful- from the front desk right through to housekeeping etc. The concierges were able to make helpful restaurant recommendations- not just the usual tourist traps. The front desk were able to wrap a gift for us. We didn't tip once throughout and the friendly service continued.

Room service was quite good, but the food is better in the restaurant. The seafood buffet was a disappointment.

The pool area was just phenomenal. It was huge, beautifully maintained with lush gardens and very clean. There is a man made lagoon with tropical fish where you can snorkel, and also a waterfall screening a secluded area. There are sand beaches on either side and rows of deckchairs. There is bar and poolside service for food and drink. The other pool is a long and narrow winding area which then opens up into a larger regular pool. Both were wonderful. There is also a waterslide and two separate hot spa areas.

The beauty spa at the Marriott was lovely- the staff were really nice and made us feel very relaxed. I had a full body massage and it was very relaxing, as was having my hair washed and blow dried afterwards (an additional fee).

The hotel was quite close to the beach- a less than five minute walk if you dash across the highway and cut through the other hotel carparks, which is easy to do and not illegal. We did swim in the ocean a couple of times, it was lovely even at that time of the year.

Overall, we had a lovely time and would certainly stay again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled on business