“Great hotel with excellent service”

Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 33 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Reviewed 21 January 2010

We have stayed at this hotel a number of times over 6 years and it is a pleasure to find that the service levels and staff friendlyness has not changed over that period, probably one of the reasons we keep coming back. The food is great and the rooms alwas clean and well presented.
The location is great, being away from the main shopping area of Surfers, this allows guests a break from the glitz of the main strip.
Although on a busy road the traffic noise cannot be heard from any of the rooms we have stayed in, nor could I hear anything from the Pool areas.
Speaking of the pool areas, the waterfall into the salt water lagoon with tropical fish is a great place to snorkel so dont forget your goggles etc. the fresh water pool(s) with the cave areas and float down channen into theanother pool is great, the ability to get drinks and snacks, pool side is another great feature of this resort.
I could go on for ages with this review but will only say this place is a must to stay. and thankyou to the Managment and staff for retaining the level of service and ambiance of your hotel.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ialder
Write a ReviewReviews (2,463)

Reviewed 21 January 2010

Again how can I express how much I love coming to the Marriott Resort. Year after Year I get treated like a princess. If you want a great resort for kids and adults alike this is the one for you.

Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank kodySydney
Reviewed 8 January 2010

We have stayed at the Marriott approx 10 times. When i asked the receptionist to see that we are return guests she could not find us and really did not care to either. We drove up to reception and were greeted with "If you want us to park your car it is $15.00 a day. There to move intp reception, it looked like they were moving because the foyer was so bare for Xmas. For such a large hotel the decorations were poor. We booked breakfast and proceed to our room. I can not believe in 2009 that the Marriott does NOT Have a flat screen TV!!! That is so bad. The bathrooms have not changed in 10 years! Also we could get more channels at home. People in this country all or most all of the population have flat screen TV Why go and pay $300 to $400 a night to go to a room worst than your own house? Also when we went for breakfast you have to PAY for expresso coffee that is the end. Again I have that at home and would expect for $35 to get a cup of expresso included. Then I asked for vanilla ice crean that had run out for the pancakes and was told the marriott has nothing in any freezer. The service was poot at breakfast. Then to go to the gym and to proceed to the sauna, again guess what you have to pay $15.00 for that too. Forget it that is it for me you can keep that experience the service is very poor for a 5 star hotel it used to be good but do not go, unless you want to cough up another $200 to have the car parked and sauna and coffee etc.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank jags15
Reviewed 2 January 2010

Really enjoyed my stay with the kids in this hotel because all the staff that I encountered were so friendly & had a willinglyness to help. The hotel is great for small to big families - I saw plenty of families & was . My 2 kids loved the artificial reef pool - bring your own swim goggles to check out the fish yes live fish. They could've spent the whole day in there if we let them. Safer than swimming @ the beach & thats just across the road if u want. You can also have a drink near the pool too - plenty of sunloungers around. Room wise I was content with the size of the bathroom (deluxe room cost me $200 for 1 nite - 16th flr ) it had 2 queen beds with a hinterland & ocean view. The views are nice on that side of the GG. The location isn't too close to surfers shops because its on a busy highway & it is in the opposite direction to surfers. But there are plenty of buses on that highway going in both directions, surfers is 10 mins away in car only cos its busy in that area. I do think their decor could do with a refresher. Overall I am happy again to take my family there esp for the pool & staff service. Best staff service I've encountered yet on the Gold Coast.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank michjoh8
Reviewed 24 December 2009

I have been going to the Marriott resort once or twice a year since it opened and I have never tired of it. There is an amazing pool area, great rooms, great gym, awesome spa, amazing lobby and very helpful staff!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank NickyFM
Reviewed 21 December 2009

We went to visit friends for the morning to share a coffee around the pool for xmas. We were staying at the beautiful and friendly sun mantra across the road. Whilst waiting in the foyer we were told in no uncertain terms that we werent to use the pool. I asked if it would be ok to sit and talk to our friends who I might add have stayed at the marriott for 17 years!. The "customer service" rep advised "well you can try but dont be suprised if secuirty ask you to leave" Of course we werent suprised because he obviously called straight through to security! Our friend escorted us down to the pool to let the rest of her family know we werent able to stay. Within minutes (as we were all picking up our belongings obviously ready to leave) we were approached by a security guard with a "loss preverntion officer" in tow in full security uniform! Wow. Seems a bit of overkill for a husband and wife and 2 little children aged 11 and 9!. My children were frightned as being a morally upstanding family who own their own business and teach the values of kindness and respect and peace I guess they had never seen this before!. What was initially amusing because it was so ridiculous soon on reflection became deeply distressing. We left wondering what on earth had tarnished the Marriott or perhaps was it something more........

Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank visitorQld
Reviewed 19 December 2009

Firstly this hotel has an amazing pool complex - swim with Nemo; play in waterfalls; lie on the man made beaches; whoosh down the waterslide. It is kid heaven BUT this was our second stay and 12 months has made a difference to this place and not in the positive.
So here's the list of things that for the price should be better:
Mattress - old, saggy and just plain uncomfortable
Litrature in hotel room out of date - no newspapers delivered any more; no pool towells in room
Noisey - hope that you don't get bad neighbours because if you do you will hear everything through the adjoining door.
Housekeeping - room was cleaned very late in the day
Late openings - waterslide and pool food outlet were both 15mins late in opening; some very hungry and thirsty people were lined up for later. Waterslide then shut early despite heavy usage.
The breakfast buffet is still really good but has been downgraded - the champayne is gone as are the smoothies etc.
Clearly previous guests and interlopers have done the wrong thing. My friend was charged an extra $10 for sharing a small slice of cake with her daughter from the desert buffet. Worse, the waiter made her feel like a thief. There is visible security around the pool; you'll be asked for your room number.
The staff in general were good; reception especially professional and friendly. The easy parking is a nice change to most places. Soooo for the pool I would still recommend this place but lets hope maitenance standards are maintained and common sense prevails.

Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
#3 of 5 in Main Beach
Peppers Broadbeach
Peppers Broadbeach
#2 of 7 in Broadbeach

Been to Surfers Paradise Marriott Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!