“Gone downhill....Good location but very average experience.”

Mantra on View Hotel
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Reviewed 28 January 2012

I (used) to stay here frequently when it was the Holiday Inn. Even though it was not perfect then, now as The Outrigger, it has gone downhill somewhat:

1. The sheets in the bedding are rough and cheap.
2. They've ditched the IHG loyalty scheme, so if you used to be on the higher floors you'll be downgraded down to the lowest floors.
3. Even though they've ditched the good aspects of the past, they've retained the bad aspects of the Holiday Inn, for example no complimentary slippers.
4. The Shampoo is poor quality and needs lots of rinsing to get rid of.
5. No more breakfast or buffet coupons from front desk.
6. Not a smooth transition from Holiday Inn to Outrigger. Took ages to check us in.
7. Poor stationery for the breakfast menu. Someone obviously scanned the previous Holiday Inn breakfast menu and cut and pasted it onto the new Outrigger format. You can tell it is cut and pasted as the definition of the text is lacking and a poor resolution.
8. Wardrobe light was burnt out.

To further punctuate the poor quality of the hotel, have a look at the Outrigger neon sign at night time...half of it is burnt out!

Overall a great location, but with slow service, lack of loyalty to former guests, poor quality sheets etc, I won't be staying there again.

Room Tip: Ask to be on higher floors. Lower floors can be noisy and are often reserved for more 'rowdy'...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Frances H, General Manager at Mantra on View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2012

Dear AndySPS,
I appreciate the time you have taken to provide feedback on your stay and be assured I will address many of the issues you have raised, such as linen quality and the breakfast menu stationery which was reproduced and not simply copied.
I apologise that we could not honor all of the IHG loyalty components and I was on the understanding IHG had advised all members, but we would always do our best to meet guest requests, such as the high floor.
In regards to the transition, there are always some minor issues and with new computer systems and operations and it will take staff a short period of time for staff to become accustomed and skilled with these changes. Regarding signage as this is brand new neon sign, the tubes have a settling in process that resulted in some tubes not stabilising, and this is being rectified and checked on all three roof top signs. I certainly hope you will stay again, and while I appreciate the IHG Loyalty cannot be continued, I am confident we will show you great service and standards in a great location.

Reviewed 22 January 2012

I booked a room through Wotif on a secret deal for Mid December. The price was high but I guess as it was peak season, I have no reason to complain. I think there is value in this place off peak only. Otherwise it is overpriced. The room was sufficient with two double beds. An odd feature of the room was that there was a set of blinds between the bathroom and the bedroom that could only be operated from the bedroom. We had fun playing peek-a-boo but I just thought it was unusual. I often held a stigma about the Holiday Inn being average, but I was pleasantly surprised at the extent they've gone to to make the interior of the place shine. The foyer is gorgeous. The check in staff were friendly and knowledgeable of the area and gave us good directions for local fare. The aircon did not work but this was fixed as soon as we complained.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sandy S
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Great location. We were looking for a central Surfers Paradise hotel so we could walk to beach/restaurants/bars. It was a 5 minute walk to Cavill Avenue and 100m from the beach. Liquor shop next door. Grocery shop and pharmacy all nearby.

The lobby was very attractive and modern. A Japanese-friendly hotel, as it was previously owned by a Japanese company before being taken over by Holiday Inn. The room (Standard Double) itself was spacious, very clean with an ample sized bathroom. Housekeeping was very efficient in bringing up a shaving kit and also fixing our small bar fridge which wasn't very cold.

Had dinner one night in the restaurant (Sirocco) using the supplied 25% off voucher. Buffet was not too bad. Reasonable selection of seafood, hot dishes and desserts. Worst was the crab which was obviously thawed from frozen.

Service overall was very helpful and friendly. Everyone we spoke with was polite and did their best to help us during our stay. Also accommodating to our request for early check-in (7am).

Recommended.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Having stayed in many Holiday Inn hotels over the years, we felt safe in booking this hotel for the Christmas period, accepting that we were trading a little quality for a known brand. This hotel far exceeded our expectations. We opted for a 'superior' room and were on the 16th floor overlooking the pool, cityscape and with views of the beach. The room was of a very good standard with all we needed for a few nights of relaxation. The balcony was accessible via full-height sliding doors that we left open much of the time, so we could see and hear the sights.

The hotel was perfectly located just far enough away from the beach and 'centre' to give a relatively peaceful experience, but by no means outside of the action. A two minute walk would see you on the beach and five minutes along the front would put you right in the thick of it all.

The hotel had an attached secure car park for a very reasonable 8 AUD a night, where we parked the car and never needed to start it again until the day we moved on.

We didn't use the bar or restaurant in the hotel as it seemed a little pricey and frankly, there were just too many nice alternatives within a very short distance, so we ate out instead.

The pool area was very nice, if a little small for such a big hotel. That said, it was never overly busy, I guess because with so much else going on in and around SP, people were busy doing other stuff. Watch your step in and around the pools; Very slippy!

Having opted for this hotel as the 'safe option' on our month long trip down the east coast, we were delighted to find that it proved to be one of the highlights, and the view from the room has left us with memories we are unlikely to forget in a hurry.

Room Tip: Best views are from a high room on the South (pool) side of the building
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 January 2012

I stayed here recently for one night with my husband. The hotel does look very old and outdated from the outside, but do not let the appearance deceive you, as the lobby and rooms have been nicely renovated to look new & modern. Check in was relatively quick and after getting a very cheap mystery deal on Wotif we were pleased to be allocated a room on the 19th floor. Although the room was labelled Ocean View we only had a partial side view of the ocean. I am not sure if any of the rooms have a front on view of the ocean due to the positioning of the hotel.

The room was a nice size and well-equipped, although I also found it strange that they have a mini-bar without a mini-bar (ie. nothing in the fridge). The room was clean although there were handprint marks on the bedhead which was a little offputting.

I did like the recycling bin in the bathroom, this is a great idea and I wish more hotels did this.

One thing we did not like was the poor signage in the car park, it is quite confusing and you actually need to catch a lift from the shopping centre that adjoins the carpark into the lobby, (via some stairs), and then walk to the hotel's elevator to get upto your room.

Overall though we did have a nice stay, with a great view of the city lights from the balcony at night time. We didn't use the facilities (pool etc) so I can't comment on those. We couldn't hear much noise from the room either which was surprising. The location is great, right in the heart of Surfers. We would definitely stay here again, especially considering the resort has now rebranded to an Outrigger. Hopefully they can make some minor improvements to ensure they maintain the good reputation they currently have.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MrsDiIanni
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Great location

Terrible room service. Took forever then they forgot the water which was the whole reason for ringing up. Why don't they put it in the fridge anymore. What's the point of having a fridge that's on with nothing in it. Also once again as last time I stayed here 3 people not enough towels. I didn't do they check out but I believe we were charged for the missing water.

• Stayed: January 2012
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Have stayed here a few times in various rooms. Nice touch in the more expensive rooms such as pillow menu, good room service (yum) and interesting window from the room into the shower. Shame to hear it may no longer be a part of the holiday inn chain soon.

As this is the only Holiday Inn I have stayed at, can only hope the rest are the same.

Out of the many hotels I have stayed at on the Gold Coast, this is in my top 3.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family