“Great hotel, fantastic location”

Mantra on View Hotel
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Our bookings were originally made whilst this was still the Holiday Inn, and having read reviews of people having trouble on arrival, I decided to call ahead. The lady I spoke to initially couldn't see the bookings, and had trouble understanding my questions. That said, she assured me she would get someone to contact me back in the next couple of days. As promised, the phone call came and this time the bookings (for 4 rooms) had been located; I was advised there would be no issues upon check-in, and I'm happy to report that this was indeed the case. Check-in was quick, efficient, and posed no problems at all.

I had requested each of the rooms to be on the south side and as high up as possible, and Outrigger did their best to facilitate this. The rooms themselves were fantastic, modern, clean, spacious, with great views from the balcony. As this was a mini honeymoon, my wife and I booked a suite. Whilst there wasn't a fully separate bedroom, it was well segregated from the living area and bathroom, and did include a walk-in wardrobe which my wife made much use of. The rest of the hotel is equally well decked out both inside and out.

Only a couple of room requests were made during our stay - champagne on arrival, and additional coat hangers - and Outrigger came to the party with both. No issues at all.

Location is absolutely superb. It's less than 5 minutes walk to Cavil Mall and therefore you have easy access to a huge range of cafes, bars and restaurants. Despite being so close, we heard no noise whatsoever in the room, though we were on the 20th floor. The hotel is also almost right on the beach so very convenient for a swim and a surf.

That all being said, I do have a couple of minor criticisms of the hotel. Firstly, the hotel gym is sparse, and what equipment there is has seen better days. Secondly, the breakfast is very expensive, especially when the Sandbar restaurant just around the corner does amazing all you can eat breakfasts for less than half the price. I'd definitely recommend going there instead. Finally, the concierge in the hotel lobby wasn't very knowledgeable nor able to help us when we were trying to organise discount entry to Seaworld, Dreamworld and Wet and Wild. She was adamant that no discounts existed, and we would have to pay full price. I questioned whether an entertainment book gold card would get us a discount and the lady again advised no. Needless to say, having gone away and researched myself, we found out that the gold card actually does give a 15% discount. So yeah, don't rely on the concierge.

To be fair though these really are minor points, and don't stop me from rating the hotel a full 5 stars. We had an absolutely great time in Gold Coast, and a large reason for that is because of where we stayed. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as high as possible on the south side of the hotel. The view is simply fantastic.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 20 March 2012

Last november my partner and I stayed at the Holiday Inn, it was fantastic and we thoroughly enjoyed our time there, so we booked another holiday for March 2012. Since then the Holiday Inn has changed to Outrigger. We didn't think the change would mean much but it obviously did. Upon our arrival the check-in time was a joke. Waiting in line with only 1-2 staff taking care of check-ins. When we got to our room we noticed the bed was completely different to the last one we stayed in. It was extremely uncomfortable and hard. You could hear the springs move and pop as you moved on the bed. As for the service, we left our room early every morning and came back late afternoon and our room was still not made up. In our time there, we had to call for our room to be serviced and for supplies like toilet paper and towels to be brought to our room, almost every day! Also if you're planning to have a few drinks at the pool bar - don't get your hopes up. It's always closed. Not even sure why it's there in the first place, it wasn't open the last time we stayed there either. Stop advertising it if it's not going to be open!! I can easily say that unless the Outrigger significantly ups their game then we will not be staying there again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Frances H, E-Marketing Manager at Mantra on View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2012

Dear Cecilia A,

Thank you for reviewing our property, your comments are most welcome. I am sorry to hear that we have fallen short in some areas of your stay. Please be assured I will be speaking with my management team about your comments regarding check in time and housekeeping services to ensure we improve on these items. I would appreciate you making direct contact with me via email Grant.James@outrigger.com.au so I am able to obtain additional information, such as room number to be able to discuss with our housekeeping the late room servicing. I am pleased to say that we are currently in the process of replacing the beds in the 250 rooms that Holiday Inn had not completed, once completed all rooms will have the upgraded beds you experienced in your first stay. In regards to the pool bar, I cannot comment on the previous operation under Holiday Inn, but Outrigger will operate the pool each day from December 26th to January 9th, then each weekend subject to weather up to Easter and then we will reopen weekends from October the Christmas, again subject to good weather. Considering the weather over the past 8 weeks or so, we have not operated the pool bar on days that have had poor weather.

Kind regards, Grant James

Reviewed 17 March 2012

We were a group of 3 friends and wanted to stay close to the beach and nightlife without a hefty price tag and this hotel met that criteria to a tee. The hotel is literally like a 2 min walk away from Surfers beach (whilst it is not located right on the main boulevard, u still have amazing views of the sea and city lights from ur balcony) we stayed in a city view room which had a nice little balcony and 2 double beds. The complimentary pillow menu was like icing on the cake. The bathrooms were clean and spacious. The pools are great too however we wished the bar over there was open as the bar staff was off sick or something and no one else was available to serve drinks at the bar..strange ! The concierge was helpful in getting us complimentary VIP passes to some of the nightclubs. We would definitely cone back here.

Room Tip: Call the concierge and ask for the VIP passes to the clubs Ask for xtra towels as they only gave us...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank sagu
Reviewed 15 March 2012

Myself and my boyfriend stayed at the Outrigger in one of the twin city rooms for one night.This hotel is really lovely for the price,beds were comfortable,extra towels for the swimming pool and a yummy buffet breakfast which we were given a discount voucher for when we arrived,I saw someone mention that twenty dollars is expensive for breakfast but i have been places where its fifteen dollars for big breakfast so i actually thought this was good value especially with a partner with a big appetite..Although it was overcast we ventured to the pool area which i think if the sun was out would be hard to leave and the spa was really lovely.Staff were really sweet and welcoming.I personally think for the price we paid this hotel is good value and really nice.

Reviewed 14 March 2012

Staff very friendly and helpful at check in (even though there was a line of people waiting Holly still had time to listen to me and answer my questions).

Room was as expected, clean and tidy.

Pool was very nice, gym looked good too.

Location near the beach and shops was perfect.

Conscierge at check out also very helpful.

I would stay again.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 12 March 2012

The hotel is easy to find whatever your means of transport is.

I booked for a week through booking.com. Upon arrival I had to pay for the entire stay. I don't know if the hotel has trust- issues or cashflow-problems, but I am used to hotels of such standard trusting guest more than this...

At first i got a room at the road end of the hotel. I asked of a room a bit higher and at the seaside of the hotel and after 5 minutes I had a new room! Great service!

You get a lot of discount-vouchers upon arrival, both for breakfast and dinner. Why just not save the printing and change your prices? 20 dollars (with voucher) is expensive enough for breakfast.

Rooms are really nice and clean. Cleaned every day even if I was late up and out of my room.

Internet is NOT free.... No wifi in the rooms, but cabled internet is available. The price for this is horrendous!!! I paid 99 dollars for 7 days of socalled high speed internet. The service so slow that I couldnt even watch i youtubevideo properly... This alone is bringing down the score of this hotel.

Nice pool and deck and ok gym.

Room Tip: Ask for seaview and above the 10h floor.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Arild S
freedom1james, General Manager at Mantra on View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2012

Good morning Arild1976,

I appreciate your review and the comments that will allow us to review our operation and performance and I would like to provide some responses.

The payment on check in has nothing to do with us not trusting guests or cash flow, it is simply as we are a strata title hotel that we take payment in trust for the unit owners. Our restaurant coupons are provided for this month only and to showcase our new dinner menu and buffet breakfast.

Your comments re the internet are definitely noted and we are currently in the process of formalising an agreement for wireless connectivity through the property, including all guest rooms especially, which will then meet the needs of guests with smart phones and tablets. This new service will provide a much better speed and also a reduced price on the current existing system.

I look forward to your return visit and further feedback.

Kind regards,

Grant

Reviewed 11 March 2012

terrible. mould on balcony. rusty outdoor setting, dirty behind curtains. broken pieces on doorstep as you walk out onto balcony. electricity wouldnt work in our room so had to be changed. so did 3 other guests that night. 2nd room had problems also....NOT HAPPY AT ALL. beds are terrible...hard as...woke up with sore necks and backs. did not enjoy this experience at all. was my partners birthday and thought we would use our hard earned money for a treat....some treat...gave us 40 off our room costs...but it was the experience of being there that will stay with us and what we tell our friends.

1  Thank Kathy P

Dear Kathy P,

I was extremely disappointed to read the review and the issues you faced with the balcony furniture, strip to balcony and mould on the balcony. We commenced operation of the property on the 10th January 2012 and in conjunction with the Body Corporate have already commenced sourcing contractors and replacements for the following:

* Provision of a suitable alternative capping for the small tile strip that leads to the balcony.
* New stainless steel coffee table for balcony
* Our new airconditioning contractor is currently doing all exhaust vents in the room and bathroom and these should be completed by end of March.

I would really appeciate the opportunity of talking to you personally and can be contacted on Grant.James@outrigger.com.au or 07 5579 1000 and ask for Grant and I sincerely hope you would come and stay with us again to see that we have made significant changes and listened to your feedback.

Kind regards and I look forward to hearing from you.