“Beautiful hotel”

Ranked #11 of 32 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Montreal
“Beautiful hotel”
Reviewed 22 August 2012

Beautiful hotel, great lobby and great service. Breakfast wasn't cheap, but was very plentiful with great options. One weird thing with the room was that there was a window from the room right into the shower. Couldn't figure that one out... Good location being just off the beach

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Josh K
freedom1james, General Manager at Mantra on View Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2012
Dear JoshK.

Many thanks for taking the time to post a review and I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay. Our chef will be happy to see you enjoyed the selection on the buffet as he and the team are continually working hard to ensure fresh varities are offered.

The window from the bathroom, although with ventian blinds fitted appears to have been a design quirk of the developers and their update of the property in 2005/6. We have some comments, both against and in favour, but the inclsuion of the blind provides privacy for guests

I look forward to future stays with us.

Many thanks

Grant

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I tried to ignore the slow front desk staff, the long wait for the lift, there looked like there were 4 but only one seemed to be working. The room was adequate but I was a little disappointed. Small television and hard bed. The bed would have been more comfortable with a matress topper. The Pillows were comfy and there was a pillow menu, so that was good. There were no robes in the room and when I called downstairs I was told Housekeeping had gone home ???? It was 6pm ??? Someone found me a robe , don't ask me how !
Housekeeping were run off their feet with check outs so even though I requested my room be cleaned while I was out between 10 am and 2 pm when I returned it was still untouched. I called and asked again if it could be attended to and was told right away so I went out again for another long walk, after an hour returned, still not done. Finally a frazzled little cleaner tore in and rushed around and was out of face cloths . Poor thing I felt bad for her. Outrigger Management, put on more staff , if you are full cater for your guests !
Room service staff were nice but food so so average. We wanted to eat in and did two nights in a row. Vegetarian lasagne Cold and ordinary, home made? Don't make me laugh !, Club Sandwich soggy. Curry cooked to death and with black burnt bits, really not good at all. I won't be back. Shame because the location was great.
Clean up your act Outrigger Surfers Paradise, you're letting the team down !

Room Tip: For God sake choose a Delux room on a high floor like i did. Cant imagine how bad a standard would b...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Notafusspot
Dear Notafusspot,

My apologies that your stay was not up to standard and be assured these matters are being attended to. It is extremely unfortunate that while we are going through the major lift upgrade that we had one of the lifts yet to be upgraded also had a fault which impacted on guest movement. This has now been rectified and by end of November all lifts will have been completed.

I will address all matters of room service with the chef and his team.

I can advise that by the end of October the vast majority (400 rooms) of beds will have been replaced inclusive of pillow tops. We have also increased our Housekeeping team, but at times cannot always ensure maximum staff with sick leave and other unforeseen issues, but do all possible to meet our guest needs.

Many thanks for taking the time to provide feedback and I can assure you it is acted on.

Kind regards,

wagga wagga
Reviewed 20 August 2012

A big thank you to David Goliath , the Concierge at the Outrigger for his most helpful support in tracking the Gold Coast Shuttle Bus for me...He was very personable with excellent people skills and showed genuine concern and care.... I stayed three nights and found it an excellent , clean Hotel with impressive views and SO central to everything!! and only a minute walk to the beach..To watch the sun rise over the Pacific from the balcony was awsome!!

A very enjoyable stay....Thank you

Room Tip: Request a room with balcony and sea views...maybe a bit hot in summer as North facing but impressive...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Dear CherieP

Many thanks for your feedback and comments on David and I have provided a copy of your comments to him. He is a good representation of our team. I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay and your comments on location and continually commented on.

I think a recent comment ideally explains our location "One block from all that Surfers Paradise has to offer, without the chaos of being right in the middle of it". We are one block from the beach, entertainment centre of Surfers Paradise.

we look forward to you staying with us again.

Kind regards

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 18 August 2012

I've stayed here a few times and have had no problems. It's close enough to everything, yet far away enough to not have to walk out of the hotel into chaos.
Clean and comfortable and never had an issue with staff, or the hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank kakkles
freedom1james, General Manager at Mantra on View Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2012
Dear kakkles.

I am thrilled you had a great stay and you are correct the location is brilliant. Just one block from all the entertainment and dining, but as you said not in the chaos.

We hope to have you stay with us again and do all possible to show you changes when you stay.

Kind regards and much mahalo (thanks in Hawaiian)

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I have been travelling around Australia for over a year, and this place had worse service than most hostels I stayed at. My friend and I decided to splurge on a weekend stay at a hotel, and sorrily regretted it. Staff that clearly hate their jobs, bad food, and hard beds. The restaurant looked as though it was run by a bunch of kids, which is fine in an actual hostel. The saving grace is that it had nice views and a good location. If I return to Surfers, I will not be staying here again.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Serena B
Sydney Australia
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Have stayed here a few times when it was the Holiday Inn and have to say that I feel the standard has dropped from 4 star to 3 star since Outrigger have taken over. Location is first class, close to absolutely everything; the beach, shops and restaurants. Admittedly I booked on a Wotif special so had a basic room, but found noise levels from adjacent rooms and corridors really disturbing. Room cleanliness was OK, but not fantastic. Air conditioning was also set to too high a temperature and was stifling. Complained, but it wasn't fixed on my 2nd night. Room service menu is very limited. Having said all that, if you don't mind noise (or have kids of your own), then price is right and location perfect.

Room Tip: Rooms on upper levels have less street noise and better views.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
freedom1james, General Manager at Mantra on View Hotel, responded to this review, 17 August 2012
Dear Cazzy G,

Many thanks for your feedback. My apologies for the noise issues you encountered, and wish you had contacted reception and they would have addressed immediately. Can you please email me on Grant.James@outrigger.com.au so I can obtain your room number to determine why the air conditioning was not addressed when you called as we have maintenance staff and also trained concierge staff to address outside normal hours.

I sincerely hope that I hear from you to address, but aslo would hope that you come back to stay to experience true Outrigger hospitality.

Many thanks for taking the time to make us aware.

Kind regards

Grant.
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We used to frequently use this hotel when I was still the Holiday Inn, and wanted to book there again because of its facilities and convenience, but never again.

I struggled to get through to reservations and wanted to book 1 of 2 advertised specials only to be told that I couldnt book either. Eventually, after writing an email they offered me either deal. I took the cracker deal of $135 per night, with buy 1 get one free breakfast and free parking.

Upon check in, the service was poor from get go. I heard reception, them telling the customer infront of me that he had to pay for parking at $10 per day, yet all you have to do is show your hotel key to get in??

After check in we got our keys and were on level 16. We tried to get the AirCon to work but wasnt sure if it was or wasnt. After heading out for dinner and going back to our room, we found that the AC wasnt working. We struggled to get through to reception about the issue but eventually was told that someone would be up to have a look.

A staff member arrived to let us know what we knew already and that the AC was not working. We were told that we would get a room uprade and would be notified accordingly.

Concierge arrived with our new keys and said we would be going to one of their deluxe level, level 19. Upon getting to the room, there was nothing different. The bed were so uncomfortable, we hardly slept. Your could see the bathroom floor was filthy and there were stains around the toilet on the floor, which isnt surprising considering we have previously seen a room being cleaned while walking down the corridor and the cleaner was just using a used towel to wipe the bath down to make it look liked it had been cleaned. A room upgrade is not being moved to a higher level, to a room which is the same or even worse.

The next morning we went for the buffet breakfast, which was absolutely horrible. What did it for me was when my 3yr old said to me that she didnt want her piece of ham, which was meant to be a cooked piece of bacon. Selection was terrible and the quality of food was far below which the Holiday Inn used to provide. We didnt go back the next morning thats for sure.

Overall, it has gone downhill since Outrigger has taken over. Right from the service, to room presentation and food, and will probably not stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Wayne_Botha
freedom1james, General Manager at Mantra on View Hotel, responded to this review, 12 August 2012
Dear Wayne_Botha,

I am extremely disappointed to read your review, as this is neither the normal Outrigger standard nor one I would expect our team would accept. I would sincerely appreciate the opportunity of gaining additional information on your stay in regards to room and breakfast and would appreciate contact either via email Grant.James@outrigger.com.au or my direct number 07 55040623. I do have our Front Office Manager reviewing our shift logs as well to identify your room

I appreciate your comment about the car parking, but while you show you key to get in, on departure the car park (an independant business) will charge a guest. For the deal you booked, we arrange with the car park.

I will be discussing with our chefs the breakfast buffet, as the majority of feedback we gain is how the fresh produce and variety is great. Even our chefs that transitioned across from Holiday Inn have commented on the changes and how positive they are. In saying this, feedback is critical to our operation and meeting and exceeding our guest expectation and why it is so important to me that I receive additional information from you.

I look forward to receiving the additional information so I can take action and hopefully welcome you back in the future to see we do take notice and act.

Kind regards,