“Excellent service so far”

Mantra on View Hotel
Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
“Excellent service so far”
Reviewed 6 September 2012

This is night 2 of 3 at Outriggers, Surfers Paradise. The check in was fast (arrived about 7pm), the staff pleasant, professional and efficient. The lifts all work and are fast. The room is well appointed, well prepared and well designed. It is good to see cruelty free toiletries, the ocean view is impressive and the provision of desk, comfortable arm chair and large bench useful. I particularly like the pillow menu, and the bed is of good quality. The aircon' holds a chosen 26C with no problem. A couple of niggles, though very minor: the pillow order no. on the menu is wrong (actually 5 not #5), & personally I would prefer mugs rather than coffee cups for a decent drink of tea.
There are 3 vegetarian options on room service. Two more than I usually find. The breakfast in the restaurant was adequate. Service was very good and unobtrusive. The use of Grinders coffee was very pleasing, esp' if it is organic as the T-shirts say. Three short mac's later and quality has been consistently good all day.

• Stayed September 2012
OutriggerSPGM, General Manager at Mantra on View Hotel, responded to this review, 7 September 2012
Dear ChrisJH1

Hope the final night was as good as the first two and many thanks for your comments. I am investigating the change of cups to mugs for guest rooms with Grinders and I can assure you that the coffee at Coffee Spot is organic.

I will be providing a copy of your review to our teams so they see their efforts in being pleasant and professional are noticed and appreciated.
We look forward to your future visits and reviews.

Kind regards

Grant

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Toowoomba Australia
Reviewed 6 September 2012

On the spur of the moment, my husband and I secured a package deal for this property which included an overnight stay in a guaranteed oceanview room, buffet dinner for two, undercover secure parking and chocolates on arrival. To be honest we were a little dubious about staying in central Surfers Paradise as the area isn't generally what it once was (when all the roadworks are complete & more of the updated stores and arcades are relet, I believe Surfers can again be a place to be proud to visit in the foreseeable future) ...but we were definitely pleasantly surprised & pleased with our choice.
Initial impressions do count, and the foyer of this hotel is quite classy & spacious. Check-in was quick and friendly and the staff even ensured our restaurant booking was confirmed for that night.
The room itself was not overly large but was decorated in a modern, tasteful way with a king size bed. Everything you would expect to be in a quality room was there...well maintained housekeeping, good standard of linen, ample bathroom toiletries, bar fridge, coffee making facilities....but the nicest feature was probably the view. The room was on the 14th floor, and from the small balcony, it had a clear view of both the beach and the Surfer's strip which was quite spectacular at night.
The hotel is perfectly situated for a walk through Surfers to one of the many eateries or to the beach & new ocean promenade which is less than a block away.
The onsite restaurant Deja View serves both buffet & a la carte meals. We had the seafood buffet included in our package and thoroughly enjoyed our meal...it was a Saturday night so it was reasonably busy and the staff did have a little trouble keeping up with refreshing the food choices and delivering drink orders promptly. Overall though the standard was pretty high especially the quality of the seafood itself.
The only small negative in regards to this property, would probably have to be in relation to the lifts...there often as a long line-up to use them (it did seem that all four lifts may not have been operational during our stay, so this may not always be an issue), Plus, the directions from leaving the carpark to locating the reception area, where the hotel lifts were situated, was a little unclear...three couples in our lift had the same trouble finding the correct floor for reception!
Overall, we were impressed with this property and the value of the deal they offered, would certainly recommend it to friends and hope to perhaps return ourselves in the future.

Room Tip: ask for an oceanview room...even though the property is one block back from the beach, it is still m...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Toowoombatourist
Dear Toowoombatourist,

I am thrilled you had a great stay with us and agree, once the light rail construction is finished and new retailers populate the area, Surfers will return to its past glory. Our location is brilliant being close to everything central in Surfers but also on the edge which means we don’t experience all the noise in central Surfers.

I have already discussed with our F&B team the slowness of service on the Saturday night and this is being addressed with additional staff. Chef and team will be very happy with your comments on the standard or food, as will our housekeepers on their efforts.

Our lift upgrade has been a little challenging, but new equipment and contingency plans have been implemented to address to ensure guests are not inconvenienced.

We look forward to your return visit and that of your friends

Kind regards

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 5 September 2012

My partner & I took a 5 night package & stayed here in early September 2012..From the start the check in was excellent,as we did not arrive until 10pm the first night..the service from Daria & Stewart made booking in a breeze..The food was first class with a great selection each morning..with the waiting staff presenting a friendly manner..the location was great,just a short walk to the beach,shops & other amenities..the lifts,as they were being overhauled caused a short delay on the weekend,but during the week,there were no problems at all..
The Concierge Joyce was always smiling & very helpful,with any queries.Also Jay,was always available for any queries as well...so guests are well cared for,we found... the room on the 16th floor,(on the south side) had an excellent view,of the beach & the high rise buildings..
The beds were good..(not sure if the upgrade had happenned yet..),& the rooms spacious...Overall it was very good value for our money..

Room Tip: We suggest a southside room for an excellent view..
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
OutriggerSPGM, General Manager at Mantra on View Hotel, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
Dear PeterG,

Your review was very welcomed and will be passed onto all our team members, but in particular Daria, Joyce, Stuart and Jay, so they see their efforts are appreciated.

We are very fortunate with our location and the views from the balconies over the ocean and Surfers Paradise.

Chef and team will be excited about your comments about the food as they really do work hard on producing quality fresh meals.

I am thrilled you enjoyed and look forward to your future stays with us.

Many thanks

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Staying in 2 rooms. A king ocean and city view as well as the double room for the kiddies. This is out 3rd night and we are still very happy. We checked in on Monday at around 9:30am and the room was all ready for us. The reception was very friendly and accommodating. They upgraded us to 16th floor and brought our bags for us. View is fantastic, 2 mins walk to the beach,close to all shops, restaurants and chemist is just downstairs, daily housekeeping which impresses the kids every time because we come back and the beds are made and there is no trace of their mess :). Deja View restaurant is just on 2nd floor which has buffet breakfast which is very very convenient in fueling up before a long fun filled days to the theme parks. Bus service stops right outside the door which great especially with little kids. Staff are great and friendly. Definitely better service and value compared to the place we stayed in last year. Already planning our trip for next year and guess where we will be staying??? Highly recommended!! I dare you to prove me wrong :) I guess the only downside for me was the seafood dinner buffet.. I think a bit too pricey. Sorry but I didn't think it was worth $51... Other than that, very happy

Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Joy O
Dear JoyO,

Please accept my thanks (Mahalo – thanks in Hawaiian) for your feedback, which is critical for us to ensure we are meeting and exceeding our guest needs.

As you outline, our location is brilliant for families, couples and individuals that want to stay in the centre of it all, great beach, local activities and so close to public transport.

I will pass on your comments to all of our teams on the friendliness of our staff . housekeeping will be extremely happy to see the efforts and commitment they make to cleaning the rooms is appreciated. I have already spoken to our executive Chef (Ollie) and outlined your comments on both the breakfast buffet and how good, but also the costing of the seafood buffet and he is addressing with enhancements to dinner.
We look forward to your return visit next year.

Many thanks

Hobart, Australia
Reviewed 5 September 2012

I had secured a package here on a third party website in order to attend a conference on the Gold Coast and must admit I was not sure what to expect. The conference was at Bond University & I am delighted I chose this hotel for my stay. As soon as I arrived in my hire car I thought wow this looks nice. Parking was on level two in the car park and there were about 5 steps between the car park building and the hotel building. If taking the luggage up/down the steps is an issue to load/unload the car drive the car to the entrance of the hotel and use the trolleys available in the foyer to take them up to the room then go park in the garage is a suggestion. It is the former Holiday Inn that has been transformed to the Outrigger. Outside the front main entrance was a long stretch limo and there was a wow factor. No permanent doorman that I noticed but as soon as I walked in the door and turned right to reception in the big main area a staff member walking the opposite way to me said, ‘welcome’. And this wonderful small gesture by all staff members continued for the 3 nights I stayed here, everyone said welcome or hello as a greeting as they saw or passed me. The girl at reception who checked me in was friendly and professional, outlining everything included in my package I had bought off a third party website and I must admit I was worried the reservation didn’t exist as it was the first time I used it. She confirmed I had the 3 nights’ accommodation, late checkout, spa vouchers, breakfast, parking, a high level ocean view room & a bottle of sparkling wine. Internet additional $24.95, not cheap nor wireless but given the excellent package I had for the hotel I didn’t mind to pay it as unfortunately my usb internet stick was at home! The package didn’t include daily room service but it was part of the third party website heavily discounted package conditions. The room and bathroom were very clean & very comfortable. There is a first in this hotel that I haven’t seen in a room before, recycle bins in the bathroom! I was very happy to see this as an in room feature – well done Outrigger! The hotel is a few minute walk to the beach, shops, supermarkets (Coles is closest but also Woolworths is nearby) and some great restaurants. I took the recommendations from reception & tried the Chang Mai Thai restaurant on the ground level of the Mantra Crown across the road and the Kamikaze Teppanyaki both a very short walk away. Breakfast was delicious and I found there was a good choice of continental and cooked dishes. I loved the coffee machine corner & again well done Outrigger for thinking of an extra thing for your guests, having takeaway cups for that extra cup ‘to go’. I didn’t get to experience the spa or the facilities such as the pool that I went to look at. The areas all looked great to use. I would consider returning here on a family stay in the future. Thank you for my pleasant stay Outrigger.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank WonderSuper
Dear beach_specialists

Please accept my sincerest thanks for taking the time to post your review and I was extremely pleased to read such, in particular the comments about our employees. Our employees are our greatest asset and I will ensure your review is provided to all teams.
Internet services will be upgraded over the next 2 months and will provide WiFi, currently available in the lobby and 2nd and 4th floor areas, WiFi in all guest rooms as well as hard wired in the room. I will discuss with our provider the cost.

Our location is absolutely brilliant as you outline, 100 meters to Surfers Paradise beach, one block from the entertainment precinct and at present one block from public transport and in 2014 only 50 meters from the light rail station.
Ollie or Exec Chef and team will be very happy with your comments on breakfast as he and the team are focused on fresh local produce for all three meals we serve in Deja View restaurant and room service and I know feedback from our conferences has been exceptional about the food.

I certainly look forward to your future visits with the family.

Much Mahalo (thanks in Hawaiian) for your feedback.

Brisbane
Reviewed 30 August 2012

My wife and I have stayed here on two separate occasions. Each time we have been on the 21st floor with oceans views. The hotel foyer is modern and the check in staff are helpful in every way. We had breakfast at the Deja View restaurant each morning and found the food great. The only negative is on check out mornings on a sunday the number of people checking out and using the lifts causes some delays. The car park is in the shopping centre at the back of the outrigger but is safe. The lift from the car park to the reception is a bit ordinary but don't let that ruin your stay. Overall we will always stay at the outrigger for the great price compared to other places and the great service. Thank you

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Jayeloh,

Please accept my thanks for taking the time to post your review of your recent stay and be assured I have passed on your comments to our team, as well as providing feedback to the centre manager for the Piazza Shopping centre regarding the lift from car park to entrance to lobby.

Our Exec Chef and team were thrilled with your comments on breakfast as they are really focused on providing a great variety of fresh local produce. Sundays as you said can be really hectic, and as such we offer later check out options, express check out option and additional staffing to do all possible to assist guests with the process. The lifts have had a major overhaul (3 currently) and our managers also have contingency plans to address if any issue.

I am very pleased that you will always stay with us and we certainly look forward to you future visits, and when making your booking please mention you are a return guest so we continue to do all possible to provide your room choice.

Kind regards and thanks for taking the time to post the review.
Reviewed 25 August 2012 via mobile

Where do I start? We had a room outside the lifts on the 9 th floor....wrong! The noise was ridiculous. We were woken at 11.30 by the noise of other guests and this continued on until 2.30am. Breakfast was average and cold. Then to top it off we had to carry our luggage down 9 floors that took us to an exit out on the street. Went I approached the check out desk to tell of my experiences they were not in the least bit interested. We won't be back and won't recommend it to anyone!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank mellymag
Dear Mellymag,

I was disappointed to read your post re your recent stay and have addressed the problems you encountered with each of our department heads and also our security company. While I appreciate your comment, "we will not stay again", I certainly hope you will to see we have addressed the issues and listed to your concerns.

Our security staff undertake continual floor checks on Fri & Sat night, as well as our staff reacting immediately to guests advising us of any issues they have.

My apologies for the issues you experienced with the lifts, as we are currently going through a major lift upgrade, and I can assure you this has been addressed with contractor as well as having developed a contingency plan that will assist all guests if we have issues - the contingency will not require use of fire escapes.

I really want you to experience true Outrigger hospitality and while I appreciate you comments, please contact me directly at Grant.James@outrigger.com.au and I would love to make arrangement s for you to stay with us again.

Again my apologies, but also thanks for taking the time to provide feedback.