“Enjoyable experience”

Mantra on View Hotel
Ranked #10 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Reviewed 20 December 2012

Stayed at the Outrigger for 7 nights on a package deal which was great value. The front desk staff were very friendly and efficient with check in. The rooms were above average. The bed was comfy and it was clean.

The pool area could be revamped and be given a more 'tropical' or beach feel. By adding some day beds and more shade it would improve it. The shade sails seemed to be almost at their use by date or not there at all. Why not create some kabana type areas using the existing structures with day beds and the like? It just seemed very old looking.

I noticed there were some bure type structures (on the tennis court side of the pool) which would be great to convert into massage huts. Add some cheese cloth around the sides for privacy, overhead fan, comfy massage bed and a good therapist and you've got a great area for outdoor massages. Which leads me to the day spa....I felt the day spa prices were way over the top. I understand it's a spa but upwards of $120 for a 50min facial or massage was ludicrous. 2 min walk down surfers paradise boulevard I got an excellent massage for $55 (before health rebate) by an accredited massage therapist in a great ambience. There is no need for prices to be this high at a day spa. Even high end spas in Brisbane and Fiji don't charge these rates??? $1/30 seconds is, quite frankly, a rip off.

The selection of food at breakky time was great, however, it was disappointing you had to pay an extra $5 for an omelette. The breakky chef on the weekend seemed to be totally flat out. He is to be commended though for his excellent service even when the pressure was on. I think he had about 8 separate orders for poached eggs within a 15 min time frame as well as keeping on top of the rest of the hot food.

I have done a lot of travelling all over the world and I believe the one thing a guest remembers above everything else is the service/friendliness of the staff. After all it's the staff that makes any workplace. The Outrigger has excellent staff who are willing to go out of their way to assist. I would definitely recommend and once a few minor cosmetic changes occur it will be up there with the best.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank Ohzgrl
ASPGM, General Manager at Mantra on View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2012

Dear Ohzgrl,

Firstly, very clever name tag. Secondly many thanks for providing such a detailed review. We are working with the body corporate on replacing the pool sun lounges and shade sails in the first quarter of 2013 and hopefully by mid-year an upgrade to the pool tiles.

The bure type structures are actually owned by the day spa and they are currently undertaking works to provide massages over the summer months. I will provide a copy of your feedback to the owners of the day spa so they also are aware of guest comments.

Our chefs do all possible to meet the needs of the guests and I will personally meet with all breakfast chefs to pass on your comment as I will also relay to all managers and supervisors your comments on the excellent staff. We are not a new property and it will be our guest service that sets us apart.

We look forward to your future visits to see that your comments have been listened to.

Reviewed 20 December 2012

We arrived at Ourigger last week and stayed only for one night. Nice big hotel with ocean view rooms. The room was neat and cozy, and the beds were very comfortable.

However, upon arrival we asked for the breakfast fee, since that wsa not included. The receptionist gave us a discount card and told us that this price is charged per room, not per person. I remember I asked her twice about this, since i thought it was a bit odd.
And as it turned out, the breakfast is charged per person and we had to pay double the price we were told. Even though this is not a huge amount of money, and the receptionist did a mistake, I still got the feeling of being ripped off, and left the hotel quite irritated.

The right thing to in my opinion would have been to apologise for the mistake and charged us for the amount we got told in the first place.

Also, parking is not free, which is a minus.

Kristine

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Kristine_ys

Dear Kristine_ys

My apologies that our guest service agent did not provide you with the correct information. In an effort to ensure this does not happen again, could you please email me at Grant.James@outrigger.com.au so I can gain some additional information to personally address.

I look forward to your email so I can address and be assured your comments are appreciated and will be acted on.

Many thanks for taking the time to post the review and hopefully additional information to me.

Reviewed 18 December 2012

Stayed at the Outrigger Hotel in Surfers Paradise for a night. The room was very clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful.
The view from our room was spectacular - looking over the surf beaches.
Great place to stay and was a great price for the room we had.
Beds were comfortable and really couldn't fault the hotel for anything.
Love the fast check out option and the free parking under the hotel.
Definately would stay there again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kirsty F

Dear KirstyF

I am extremely pleased that you had a great stay with us we will continue to do all possible to make guests stay enjoyable. The location just one block from Surfers Paradise beach and Cavill Mall and the entertainment precinct makes us an ideal hotel for singles, couples and families.

In early 2013 we will complete the full bed replacement program as well as having Wi-Fi in all guest rooms.

We look forward to your next stay and many thanks for taking the time to post the review

Reviewed 16 December 2012

I think this must be the third time I have stayed here in various guises. It used to be a pretty average hotel but a refurb has made the rooms much better. I stayed on a package with free wine, free brekkie and a late check out. All of these were nice touches. It was a good place to stay. Would have been nice if parking were included. The facilities are good too. Staff were really friendly. The breakfast buffet was above average-although why can no one cook a decent scrambled egg?

My biggest gripe would be more about location. This end of Surfers is looking a bit down at heel. Lots of empty shop units. A bit grubby.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo

Dear Robkielty,

Many thanks for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay and be assured this will be passed on to our team, especially your comments about how friendly they are. I will also ensure our Exec Chef and team are aware of your comments re scrambled eggs as he and the team are focused on producing great quality from fresh local produce.

I appreciate your comments about the empty shops and we also wish the owners of this area would do all to improve the look and feel.

As the car parking is operated by the shopping center we have little control.

Again sincere thanks for your comments and we certainly look forward to your future stays with us.

Reviewed 15 December 2012

This hotel was formally the Holiday Inn which we had stayed a number of times, this being the first under the"Outrigger" name, cannot fault this hotel, the front desk staff are very helpful and friendly and the location of the Hotel is just 2 blocks from Cavill Ave and a few minutes stroll from the beach, It is within walking distance to everything you need (apart from the theme parks which are about maybe a 20-30 minute drive seaworld being the closest about 10min). I have always gotten a great deal when staying here, hence why we choose to stay here. Our room and I think all rooms have balconies that either have ocean or city views. We stayed on the 9th floor this time.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Wendy G
ASPGM, General Manager at Mantra on View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2012

Dear WendyG

Many many thanks for taking the time to post your review and I will pass on your comments to our team. They do all possible to meet and exceed our guest needs.

Our location is a real benefit to guests as you outline, one block from Cavill Mall and the entertainment precinct and only one block from the beach. In the coming years with the light rail starting we will be even closer to Broadbeach and Southport via public transport

We look forward to your future visits and I wish you and all our guests A Merry Christmas, Happy NewYear and a great 2013

King regards and thanks

Reviewed 10 December 2012

A very clean, well positioned hotel experience ruined by TERRIBLE customer service from the GUEST SERVICES MANAGER Damian B. Whilst waiting in line to check in i could over-hear the polite reception ladies assisting guest with room & parking info. I was instead greeted by the guest service manager who slammed the phone handset down, called "Next!", did not greet me, instead first thing he said was "Surname?", then muttered under his breath at his computer troubles, picked up the phone & made a call whilst waiving a pen in my face & pointing to the paper i had to sign whilst talking on the phone. His next words to me were "licence & credit card for imprint". Returning my cards to me he handed the door key to me and said "that is all". No directions on parking, getting to room or check out times. We had the same experience on check out again from the same guest services manager!! Never going back to outrigger, this staff member needs to be brought up to speed on appropriate customer service.

• Stayed: December 2012
5  Thank kaylac0
ASPGM, General Manager at Mantra on View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2012

Dear Kaylac0

Firstly my sincere apologies for the customer service you received from Damian and be assured this is being addressed with him currently. As a new member to our team we will work with him to ensure he understands and appreciates the Outrigger values and standards and works to achieve these.

Guest feedback is critical to us and while I appreciate your comments that you would not come back and stay, I sincerely hope you will to see that we have not only listened to your comments but acted on them.

Please reconsider and contact me directly on grant.james@outrigger.com.au and I will personally take care if your booking

Again my apologies and be assured this is not the Hospitality Outrigger is known for.

I hope we have you stay with us again to see true Outrigger Hospitality

Kind regards

Reviewed 5 December 2012

I stayed there in January 2012, when the name was Holiday Inn. Superb location. Nice ambience. Vegy good lobby with good reception. Staff ready to serve you. It is a minute walking distance from Surfer's paradise beach. Even, very near to grocery store, market and few Indian restaurant just near to hotel. Close to night entertainment. Rooms are cosy and nicely furnished.

Room Tip: rooms are on two different side. Beach view and pool view. Beach view rooms are better.