“Rough start but perfect after!!”

Mantra on View Hotel
Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Reviewed 14 January 2013

This review begins rough but besides our first few hours everything was great!!

We arrived at the hotel after being awake for over 24hours and with me being ill on the plane. We arrived to find that our reservation was not on their system. I booked via email through the main outrigger website (that lists all the outrigger resorts) and double checked with the main responders that my booking was confirmed - i was even given a confirmation number - so you could imagine my shock when we arrive tired and exhausted to find they had no knowledge of our booking. The front office manager (Ramon i think?) was very apologetic and went above and beyond to find what was going on. After many phone calls - where the same response was no one had any record of it (except me who bought copies of the email with me) - we left to go get a bite to eat in the hope that our booking would be found. 90minutes later we received a call to be informed that we could finally check in. Ramon (?) was very apologetic and didnt know what happened - he offered us free breakfast and parking and he personally delivered our bags to our room - we could finally relax.

Besides that hiccup everything about this hotel was great. It was clean, quiet and the staff were friendly and always willing to help. From the cleaning lady giving us extra shampoo/conditioner when needed -- to Yuki - the coffee expert - who made fresh coffee for us each morning with a smile on her face and friendly conversation -- to Damien - who made our checkout quick and easy and was very friendly and great to chat too.

The pool was closed over two days as some guests decided to throw glass in the pool - not cool on their behalf but this is hardly the fault of the staff - better a closed pool than cut up feet and with the beach on your doorstep you can't really complain!! And to those who complain about the "flight" of stairs you need to carry your luggage up to from the carpark - it is only 5steps - barely a hassle - plus you can always drop it at the front door then drive around to park!!

Overall we really enjoyed our stay - it was close to everything and the staff (including the breakfast staff) were super friendly and nothing was to much for them.
Again a special shout out to Ramon (?), Yuki and Damien and when we come back to Surfers we will happily return to your hotel!

Thankyou

PS. the aircon was perfect too!!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
ASPGM, General Manager at Mantra on View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2013

Dear SinderallaPerth

Many thanks for taking the time to provide your feedback and while the booking process via the website didn’t help (we are currently checking this), I am thrilled that Roman was able to correct this. He is an outstanding manager for us. I will ensure he, Yuki (the Coffee spot coffee expert) and Damian are aware of your comments about them – our team is what makes a difference.
I appreciate the comments about the car park, but your suggestion is the best, drop the luggage at our entry and the concierge or managers on duty will assist to store or take to your room.
We look forward to your future visits and please accept my sincerest thanks for the comments about the team.

Regional General Manager Australia

Write a ReviewReviews (3,061)

Reviewed 13 January 2013

I have just returned from a short holiday at this property, but feel so refreshed I could have been away for a fortnight. Our room was beautifully decorated, with magnificent views from the beach across to the lagoon. The staff were friendly and efficient. The dining room is spacious and well set out to accommodate a summer holiday crowd at breakfast. Restaurant meals were delicious and good value at other times. So we mainly stayed in to relax in the pool, with trips to the nearby beach on the side. The quality of the accommodation and the central location of this hotel make it very good value.

Room Tip: Choose an ocean view room
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Andrea K

Dear AndreaK,
I am thrilled you had a great stay and I will pass on your comments to our team, especially the kitchen and restaurant team.

I am thrilled you got to enjoy the pool area and beach, just a block away, as our the recreational aspects of Surfers.

We look forward to your future stays with us

Kind regards and thanks for your post and comments

Reviewed 13 January 2013 via mobile

Great service and very attentive management. Great buffet and loved chilling out by the pool and pool bar

Location is quiet but a short two minute walk to the Surfers action and the beach

Hotel used to be the Holiday Inn but the Outrigger team are doing a better job in running the place. Rooms recently refreshed

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank Melb_tourist

Dear Melb_tourist,

Many many thanks for the feedback and comparison and I know the team will appreciate that their efforts are recognized. Having just completed our first 12 months of operation, we still have many things we want to achieve to make all guests stays enjoyable.

I will also pass on your comments to our Executive Chef and team as they are focused on providing fresh local produce and variety in the buffet and all meals
Kind regards and thanks for your feedback.

Reviewed 12 January 2013

We did stay at Outrigger on 24 to 26Dec12 and were very enjoy and relaxing.
Location is closed to the beach and convinced store, restaurant and the Gold Coast Highway.
Rom: bed is good, comfortable, the balcony is not clean, carpet is black color so I'm not sure but recommend to bring your thong and the bath tub a bit small and the floor will get wet after you take shower. Twin double bed are a bit small for 4 adults.
View: is really good with ocean view and city view from the 7th floor. We can hear sound of wave and when the wind.
Service: is really great, we feel welcome from all staff we met.
Car park is separate building with the hotel so we have to take to 2 lift. The lift in car park is really slow and hot.
Overall, we satisfy with the hotel and the value we pay. Thank you so much to the hotel and all staff helped us to arrange the room with good view and provide your wonderful services. And Zuji where we make booking with.

Room Tip: Most of the room do have part ocean view and part city view. Parking is a bit inconvenience if you...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Dear LazyAa,

Many thanks for posting your review and I am thrilled you had a good stay, and be assured I will pass on your comments about how welcoming the employees are. Our location is one of the best in Surfers Paradise being one block from the beach and the entertainment precinct and in the next 12 months or so will have the added advantage of the light rail just near the hotel

We hope to welcome you back in the future.

Kind regards and thanks for your feedback.

Reviewed 6 January 2013

I stayed here with my partner in early jan 2013 for one night.
The man at reception was friendly and polite, and said hi to us the following day when we were in the pool. This was the only contact we had with staff so I thought the service was good.
I was a little dissapointed that parking is not provided as part of your stay. We had to pay $8 to park in the shopping centre carpark ( which links to the hotel) but the lady only looked at our key card for the door, which means we could have not paid and just driven it.
Surely a hotel of this standard could provide patrons free parking for 1 vehicle?

Our room was very clean and had everything we needed. ( ocean view king suite )
We were on the too floor and although the balcony was facing south , we had a good view of Surfers and the ocean.
My main problem with our stay was the air con.
Staying in a decent establishment , I was excited to be able to sleep in aircon, but it was pathetic. The room was not cool at all and when you open the balcony door the aircon automatically turns off.

It was also a little odd that there was a window from the bedroom to the toilet although this didn't bother us.

It would also be nice if the pool area was open a bit later til at least 10pm.
Overall I was happy with our stay but would probably choose somewhere else next time as the aircon was a huge disappointment.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Bem93
ASPGM, General Manager at Mantra on View Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 January 2013

Dear Bern93

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review and please accept my apologies. I am disappointed about the air-conditioning as body corporate has just spent over $500,000 for a new chiller system. Coul you please email me in Grant.James@outrigger.com.au with name, date of stay and room number (if possible) so I can have maintenance check this room.

In regards to car parking, as this is owned by the shopping center (Piazza) we are governed by their rate etc.

I hope you come back to stay with us again to see that the aircon is functional and hopefully with your email I can have the specific room checked and addressed for all guests.

Again many thanks for your post and we hope to welcome you back.

Reviewed 4 January 2013

Firstly to explain - i gave the rating 3 stars due to the location and the rooms are okay for the price we paid. It would have got 4 if it wasn't for the recent experience. See below.

Stayed here once in December 2012 for 2 nights. Overall that stay I had no problems. Check in was fine, the room was fine and no real complaints. The breakfast is not worth the price. The pillows in the room are so uncomfortable - however they do have a pillow menu which sorted that problem. The Internet was awful. $2 for ten minutes and 50cents per page for printing - which normally would be okay however the Internet was so slow I ended up spending $8 just to log on and print one page.

We are now about to check out of our second stay here in Jan 2013 for 2 nights and it has been average. The room is okay with uncomfortable pillows again. The balcony door takes about 5 mins to open as it gets stuck - pity when you close it behind you and due to no handles on the outside - you can't get back inside unless someone lets you in. However all of this would have been fine and wouldn't have bothered me too much, except for one thing that ruined my experience. Went to use the Internet downstairs again - had to print out 3 pages for our flight tomorrow - should cost $1.50 for printing and maybe an extra $1 for the time to get to hotmail etc. Put in $2 and try to log on. The Internet was so slow it used 8 minutes loading my hotmail. Had to put more money in. Then tried to print and the printer was out of paper. Ran to the desk as my Internet time was almost up due to it being so slow - and waited in line. Once the couple in front of me had left I asked the man at the desk for some paper for the printer. He holds up his hand and says rudely '1 second'. I explained I just needed some paper as my time was about to run out and he again says '1 second' rudely. At this stage I am at my wits end with the slow Internet and now incredibly rude customer service. Eventually he grabs a few sheets and hands them to me without saying a word. I grabbed them and walked away as I was so angry I didn't want to say what I was really thinking. Then I tried to print again and had to put more money in as my time was almost up. I tried other websites before my time ran out and they were all just as slow. It cost me about $10 to print 3 pages. It's not the money that matters but the service and frustration. I worked in the travel industry for a long time and a lot of people ask me for recommendations and after my second stay - I am not sure if I will bother.

Room Tip: Level 5 has bigger balconies to relax on. Levels high up (around 18) had a very small balcony.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lpandsm

Dear Ipandsm
Many thanks for taking the time to post your detailed review and be assured I will be dealing with each of the items mentioned, starting with the internet. By the end of January all guest rooms will have addition of wi-fi (currently hard wired) that will allow laptops, tablets and internet accessible phones. As part of this installation we will also be investigating either upgrade or conversion of the current internet center in the lobby area (although this will not be completed until early March.

I would also appreciate you emailing me on Grant.James@outrigger.com.au with you name and dates of stay so I ensure maintenance have done or will do the balcony doors as we are currently replacing all roller wheels.

As a person that works in the industry I hope you will give us a second chance to see that we listened and acted.
Again many thanks for taking the time to post the review which will actually help us improve but also provide valuable feedback to the lobby internet provider.

I sincerely hope we have you stay with us again.

Reviewed 3 January 2013 via mobile

We were not able to check in until 2.15pm (advertised check in was 2pm).

When I expressed my concern about the lateness the receptionist said 'yes the room is ready now so we're sending you up now'. No apology for the lateness (sigh).

We got to the room to find the cleaning crew still working on it. They were quite stressed out when the 4 of us arrived with our bags. After calling reception they rushed to finish the room. Reception who said they would come up to see me, never did (I understand they were busy at this time).

Once we get in the room we can't turn on the air con because the balcony door won't shut (it has come off its runner), and it's hot. The cleaning crew are still in the hallway - they can't fix it, so they ring reception who ask us to come back downstairs so a room change can be organised. (deep sigh).

We get back to reception and I queue up. The Manager sees me, apologises for the issues and upgrades us. To be honest I don't say much because I'm so annoyed I don't trust myself to speak.

We get into our upgraded room which looks exactly the same as the twin room I had booked anyway, except I'm told the view is better because we can see the ocean.

Full credit to the manager who called me shortly after to make sure we were happy with the room, and to offer us a late check out. He apologised, and explained he would follow up with the cleaning crew why the room wasnt ready. I explained that wouldnt have made a difference cos the balcony door was broken and so the air con can't work (temps in the 30's!). I advised it unlikely I'll ever return..

A positive - we were able to do an express checkout as we had no incidentals. That was great as I didn't want to linger, and I believe the apology from the manager to be sincere.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Lisa H

Dear LisaH

Please accept my sincerest apologies for the issues you faced during your stay and please be assured this is not the normal standard of service for Outrigger Hotels and Resorts. If time permits would you email me on Grant.James@outrigger.com.au with your name and dates of stay so I can ensure we address the balcony door issue. Maintenance at present are replacing all balcony door rollers.
I certainly hope you will return to see that your comments have been listened to and that as you mention not only was the apology sincere, our actions to correct the same will be the same – sincere and committed.

Again my apologies but I sincerely hope you email me and also stay with us again.