“A bit rough around the edges”

Mantra on View Hotel
Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“A bit rough around the edges”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

If you can get a cheap deal, take it. This hotel does try to be better than it is, but it is definitely a bit rough around the edges in places. I had a hard time trying to figure out if this was once a good hotel that's been partly refurbished in some places. Or if it was an old hotel that has over the years had some improvements. As I said, this hotel does try, but it's still got a fair way to go. Some parts are just a bit rough, and others are ok/acceptable.

The paintwork in the entry to the room, the bathroom and hallways just looked a bit patchy and cheap, and/or not clean. A bit of damage in some areas. Not as clean as could be (especially the grime under the taps in the bath). The beds are average (have seen better and worse). There's a minibar with nothing in it (but there is a price list stuck on the front).

Once you step outside, the pool and tennis court area are in bad need of refurbishment. The pools had leaves floating in them, and many tiles missing. The sun shades were all gone (but the frames remaining), rotting wood. The pool bar was closed. It looked like one of the tennis courts had some work but was covered with sand, not sure why.

The staff members who checked me in and out were polite and did their job to a standard as expected. The lady on check in did warn me there was an event going on in the GC. She warned me there were numerous young sports teams from all over Australia competing, and a lot of them were in this hotel the night we were there, this was obvious. She said if there's any excessive noise to let staff know and they'll do something. We heard a lot of door slamming on our floor, but with my toddler fast asleep from 8pm I was not in a position to change rooms anyway.

There was a false fire alarm earlier on the Thursday night, the hotel had to be evacuated. Waiting in the lobby, after 10 min one of the staff informed me it was a false alarm. Obviously set off by one of the unruly young guests that were everywhere, not always behaving. But the alarm was too loud in the room to go back in, so we went for a walk until it had stopped.

Didn't eat in the restaurant, as were worried the same (somewhat rough) standards applied to the restaurant so we didn't bother.

Location of hotel is close to the beach but you must cross at the lights further down the road as the traffic gets busy. Unless you want to risk it. It's in Surfers and it is a bit cheap and nasty in some areas. Broadbeach down the road is a nicer area, we have stayed there as well and prefer it.

I wouldn't stay here again, there are other nicer places to stay in the GC, like the Vibe hotel or the Meriton, which can both have some good deals comparable to the Outrigger. To the management, please continue refurbishment of this hotel. To TA members, if you're not fussy, this place is 'ok', but nothing fancy, a bit run down but they do try.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
ASPGM, General Manager at Mantra on View Hotel, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
Dear Akltraveler,

Many thanks for taking the time to post youyr review and comments which will be used with the teams and our body corporate to address.m The hotel is a grand old lady of Surfers Paradise built in 1986, and at present we are undertaking the following:

* Painting guest corridors with 8 finaihed so far and one more before the Christmas Holidays, and balnce to be completed early 2014
* Commenced painting of guest rooms
* Started installed of new sheers curtains to 50% of hotel and balance end of January 2014
* Tennis court full refurbishment, with new fencing, lights and surface. The sand on the tennis court is part of the surface recovery and allows the synthetic surface to expand.
* By 3rd week of October all pool pergolas will be recovered and pool bar upgraded.

I can assure the standars in the restaurant are not rough, with our chef and teams focussed on fresh local produce and the service stanadrds as you experienced at the front desk.

I sincerely hope you do stay with us again to see what has been done to the hotel both visually and behind the scenes.

Again sincere thanks for your comments.

Kind regards

Regional General Manager Australia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We stayed at the Outrigger on Sunday 29th Sept. University students were staying for the uni games. We had drunks banging on the door, streakers running up the corridor. Next door they were barking like dogs, I banged on the connecting door but didn`t make any difference. I rang downstairs 4 times for security, but they didn`t contain them. In the morning I asked for my money back, I had to talk to the GM, still waiting for a call from him, and I rang today but he wasn`t available. 2 other families were waiting for a call from GM as well. Room was clean, bed uncomfortable (hard) and the pillows the worst I have ever slept on.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Chris M
Dear ChrisM,

My sincere apologies for the issues University Games attendees caused and the fact I wasnt in the office today, but I have asked the Front Office manager to make contactin the interim and I will be in the office on Monday.

I will address with our security contractor as we had 4 guards on patrol with three (3) of them undertaking floor patrols and one at the lobby lifts. wew also had direct contact with university team managers to address any issues

When either Mike or I speak to you I will obtain room number to address the pillows and beds as well as over 85% of all rooms have had new beds installed with pillow top mattresses.

Please accept my sincere apologies and we will be in contact

Kind regards

Reviewed 3 October 2013

I often stay here on my trips to the Gold Coast because of location and easy parking facility. However the rooms could do with an update.
Room doors very loud Big Bang every time they shut. All day all night- forget about sleeping in.
If you book a room on city side be prepared to hear lots of noise. Roadworks constant all day until late night. Noise from infinity amusements.
This visit I was here for two weeks and hotel had UNi guests staying because of UNi games. Terrible noise and chaos!
Definitely looking at staying elsewhere next visit!!!

• Stayed September 2013
Dear R2234

many thanks for taking the time to post comments on your recent stay and as a repeat guest, you would appreciate the impact the light rail is having around Surfers Paradise and many hotels , not just ours. While we would be much happier not to have the night works, the Light rail project ignores requests from hoteliers to at least contain to day time hours, and where we are notified in time, we do all possible to relocate guests to the southern side of the hotel.

We are currently in the process of doing room renovations with painting having started on rooms and sheer curtain installtion under way. We have completed approx. 85% of bed replacements and also completed 8 floors of guest corridor painting. The tennis court upgrade as been completed with a new synthetic surface and fencing and the pool area pergolas will be completed in the coming weeks and the new contractor gardner is undertaking significant works.

I will also have our maintenance team undertake door closer work

I sincerely hope you stay with us again as we value all guess, especially our return guests.

Please contact me directly (Grant.James@outrigger.com.au) when you ae next coming to stay in Surfers Paradise.

Kind regards and many thanks for the feedback which is used

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 30 September 2013

For its price, Outrigger is a very good hotel. I stayed during the cyclone in March so I spent most of my time indoors. Check in was slow though and one of the receptionist gave us the keys to the wrong room on the 9th floor but she chased us up before we got in the room and apologized profusely, poor girl. Tried to order room service but it was unavailable so had to walk in the cyclone, which was an experience in itself, to get something to eat. My room was on the 21st floor so had amazing views of the rough ocean, which was lovely.

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear smokeofsampoi.

Many thanks for your feedback on your stay back in March. The weather during parts of 2013 hasn't been great, but in same ways this has also helped us in being able to upgrade areas of the hotel in association with weather effects.

The fully renovated tennis court and pool, pergolas, along with the shade awanings on Level 2 & 4 have all been addressed with consideration for severe weather and guest comfort. The views from the majority of guest room balconies is great over the ocean and Surfers Paradise.

we look forward to your future visits and hopefully with much better weather conditions.

Kind regards and thanks

Reviewed 23 September 2013

I stayed at the Outrigger for a conference for 5 nights. The rooms were clean and pleasant enough but the rest of the place was very tired looking. A big banner by the ground floor elevator announced Spa service at the Serenity Spa, when you make your way there you find out that the whole place has been gutted.
To get to the pool area you squeeze literally past construction fences. The pool is big but its run down surrounds do not invite to stay.
Staff are friendly but seem to have to work with outdated systems which makes any interaction with reception painfully slow. There is no internet or WiFi connection in the rooms and staff recommend to go to an internet cafe near-by.
What astonished me was to find a Tripadvisor Excellence award 2013 presented at the front desk.

Room Tip: Do not go unless the hotel has been renovated
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
ASPGM, General Manager at Mantra on View Hotel, responded to this review, 2 October 2013
Dear RedW.

My apologies that your stay was not as expected, but be assured the works being undertaken are in the final stages of completion. The tennis court, resurface and fencing is complete, officially opened today for guest use and the temporary fencing has been removed. This fencing was legally required due to the removal of the main tennis court fencing.

The day spa hasn't been "gutted" but we have completed a renovation with new air-conditioning system, all ceilings replaced and all new shade sails on the day spa balconies.

By October 18th we will have all pool pergolas with new shade covers (11 pergolas) and should have our pool bar renovations completed. All guest rooms have both hard wired and Wi-Fi internet as do the lobbies, 2nd and 4th floor conference rooms.

I sincerely hope you come back to stay with us again and see the improvements and please also accept my thanks for your feedback.

Kind regards,

Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 21 September 2013

Decent hotel but find the rooms a bit outdated and older. They are clean however
And staff are nice and friendly. Location is 5 mins away the beach and lots of
Food choices in the area.

If it were me i would select a newer renovated room.

Room Tip: Choose a room fronting the beach.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
ASPGM, General Manager at Mantra on View Hotel, responded to this review, 22 September 2013
Carlo12377ph

Sincere thanks for your comments and rating on your recent stay with us. I can advise that we are currently painting guest floor corridors and rooms, sheer curtains will be replaced in October to 50% of rooms and the balance in late January and early February 2014.

By Friday this week our tennis court will be fully renovated with new surface, lights and fencing and by mid October all pool pergolas will be recovered.

Our location is a real plus, just 500 meters to the beach and one block to the entertainment center of Surfers Paradise.

We look forward to your future stays with us.

Kind regards and many thanks for the feedback,

Reviewed 19 September 2013 via mobile

This is a great spot to stay, so close to everything. The rooms I found were so run down, they really need a paint job or something.. Also I had sand in my bed which is gross, I wonder if they even changed the sheets. The staff on front desk were lovely, the pool area is also nice :)

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank KateAce
ASPGM, General Manager at Mantra on View Hotel, responded to this review, 20 September 2013
Dear KateAce,

Please accept my thanks for taking the time to provide your rating and comments in your recent stay. I can assure you all rooms are fully serviced, linen changed and all amenities replaced between all guests. I will work with both our housekeeping and laundry provider to assess and address all linen.

I am also pleased to advise that we are presently undertaking the following upgrades:
* Corridor painting with 8 completed and one per month until completed
* Guest room painting being undertaken at present
* October we start the replacement of all sheer curtains in guest rooms
* Friday 27th September the tennis court will be fully complete with new surface, fencing and night lights
* October 10th all pool pergolas will have new shade sails and new lighting

We appreciate we have an older property, but in concert with the body corporate many projects have been completed over our 20 months of operation and many underway. I am thrilled the staff were lovely as this will also contribute to a great stay

We look forward to your future stays so you can see the upgrades we undertake and also the correction of issues you faced.

kind regards and many thanks