“Location - perfect!”

Ranked #11 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Brisbane
“Location - perfect!”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

Booked a single night stayover as I had a function to attend to and was recommended by the travel companion to stay at Outrigger. I read some reviews and wasn't too impressed but nevertheless decided to book as the price including breakfast was outstanding, was this telling me something?

Answer is simple, No! As usual, poor reviews on trip advisor are done my people who obviously are perennial complainer and can't accept anything but pure luxury! My expections are a bed a bathroom and a balcony to sit. This place is wonderful and I highly recommend because
1) You are right in the heart of surfers
2) You can walk to the beach
3) This place has a magnificent pool area
4) there must to 100 restuarant within 2 kilometers walking distance
5) The new train will take you to the casino (when it is open)

Rooms are very comfortable, they are not apartments but not advertised as such. Quite when the doors are closed and sleep quality was terrific.

What else can I say for under $150 per night you can't go wrong!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
ASPGM, General Manager at Mantra on View Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Dear Frauenski,

Sincerest thanks for your wonderful feedback which will be shared with our teams. I also appreciate the value of all the feedback we receive as it gives us an opportunity to investigate, improve and acknowledge the things we do well.

As a property we acknowledge we are older, but we also acknowledge our commitment to service, standards and improvement and over the coming 12 months will continue to do things to enhance and improve the hotel. Feedback over the past 12 months has also allowed us to modify processes and procedures all with the intent of improving the customer experience.

I also appreciate your 5 reasons and we look forward to your future stays with us to see the improvements and also gain further feedback from you.

My sincerest thanks

Kind regards

Regional General Manager Australia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Darwin, Australia
Reviewed 8 November 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel in October. We travelled with 2 kids under 5yrs. The hotel has twin rooms with 2 double beds perfect for families and rooms are spacious. The hotel is within walking distance to everything. There is a Coles accross the road. Carpark is charged at $8.00 per night. Apart from all the road works happening around we enjoyed our stay and will definitely be back

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
ASPGM, General Manager at Mantra on View Hotel, responded to this review, 9 November 2013
Dear Darwin_Gal81

Sincere thanks for taking the time to post a review on your recent stay and thrilled you and the family had such a great time.

The road works for the Light Rail are an inconvenience, but we have been advised that all major works will be completed by the end of November and supposedly no more night works near our hotel. Once the light rail is functional, I believe it will be an asset to many of our guests allowing them access to Southport (Griffith University, new Gold Coast hospital and Australia Fair) and then to Broadbeach (Gold Coast Convention Centre and Pacific Fair), while still be able to stay in the center of Surfers Paradise.

We look forward to your future stays with us and seeing the changes to the hotel and surrounds.

Kind regards and many thanks for your positive feedback,

Gosford, Australia
Reviewed 6 November 2013

On our way back, the flight was cancelled so they allocated us this hotel. We were tired of he big cancellation rush and were hoping to get a good & comfortable sleep. Took a taxi to go there and were surprised by the Customer service skills of the receptionist/ Staff. So friendly and understanding as it was like 9 pm and we were frustrated by the flight cancellation.

The room and bed was so comfortable although we weren't expecting it to be (as it was booked by our Airline). Most weird thing was the interior window in the bathroom. Although that was something exceptionally surprisingly stuff that I haven't seen in any hotel.

Had breakfast in the morning before heading to the airport. The food was good specially the pizza.
Good work guys!!!
Next time If I visit Gold Coast I'll definitely stay here (even I would have paid $150-200 a night &)

Room Tip: City View Twin/ Double
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
ASPGM, General Manager at Mantra on View Hotel, responded to this review, 6 November 2013
Dear VinitJ,

Nothing worse than a delayed or cancelled flight and I am thrilled we actually made this stressful situation as pleasant as it could be. I will be sure to pass onto our teams your comments and know the Exec Chef and team will be vey happy with your comment, especially as I know they make the Pizza bases and don't buy them in.

The bathroom window has us all confused as we have no idea why the developer did this, but we are working with some suppliers to look at alternates.

We really look forward to your future stay with us, but under better circumstances.

Kind regards and many thanks

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 6 November 2013

Got a special through Jetstar for $99 a night which was very reasonable.
Location was great and walking distance to beach, shops and restaurants. Pool area looks a little 'tired' though, might need an upgrade soon.

My only complain is the carpark which you pay a daily rate of $8 for. The carpark is part of the next building and access is through a separate lift in serious need of a good clean or upgrade. Boom gates are open in the evening and so lots of people visiting Surfer's might park there for free hence, paying guests might actually miss out on a park if it is full.

Room Tip: Rooms at the east end of the building might get a better sea view (in between other buildings).
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Misssk,

Really appreciate the provision of your comments on your recent stay and I can assure our guests we are doing all possible to work with the shopping center owners to have their car park lift upgraded, and I know they are currently working on addressing entry and exit into the car park.

The pool area completed part of its upgrade yesterday with all pool pergolas having their new shade cloth roofs installed, new pool umbrellas installed and we are currently awaiting body corporate approval on re-grouting the pool area tiles and also new pool furniture. The pool bar opened last weekend.

Our location is a real benefit to guests, 1 block to the beach and 5 minute walk into central Surfers and the entertainment precinct and Cavill Mall.

We look forward to your future stays with us and seeing the continuing improvements.

Kind regards and many thanks for the feedback

Hervey Bay, Australia
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I didn't realise this was previously the Holiday Inn until we got to the room and found the weird interior windows in the bathroom, A voyeur's paradise perhaps!. We booked a family getaway for two nights with a seafood buffet and breakfast each morning included. The kids were given colouring books and pencils. Check in was a bit slow as I forgot my credit card then after traipsing back to the car to get my husband's one the reservation clerk pressed signature instead of pin and assured me it couldn't be changed. I had to go back to the car and wait with the children while he came in to finish the booking.

The room was clean and pleasant with a limited view of the ocean. The kids liked it at night because it overlooked the slingshot ride. I had emailed ahead and asked for a room that wasn't too noisy as my little one takes time to settle at night. We had a room close to the lifts on the seventh floor and while I could hear the lift bell at times there was minimal noise.

The seafood buffet was ordinary and in hindsight we would not take advantage of this deal again as there are many great eating establishments within a short walking distance. More fresh seafood and seafood dishes would have been good. Also I asked to be seated somewhere quiet so the waitress seated us next to the drinks fridge which got opened endlessly and distracted my four year old. Breakfast was lovely. Plenty for sometimes fussy children to choose from and free to sit anywhere.

The children loved the pools. Very clean and plenty of sun.

This hotel is about two blocks from Cavill Avenue and very close to the beach. We walked down to the markets on Friday night and again at various times over the weekend. Coles and Woolworths are close by as is a pharmacy and convenience store that have extended opening hours. SeaWorld is also only a few minutes away.

We took the advice of other reviewers and management and checked out on our last night (thankfully as the place was mad at 10am). Getting to your vehicle takes two lift rides and a small set of stairs and this was also crazy at check out time so I stayed with the luggage while hubby walked up the ramp and got the car.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear AmandaG,

Many thanks for your comments on your recent stray with us. We are currently working on options for the window between the bathroom and bedroom and we like many guests don't understand why the developer installed these with venetians. we appreciate to provide additional natural light and as such we are looking at options to address.

I have provided your feedback to our Executive Chef on the buffet as he take immense pride in providing fresh local produce, and as such he is reviewing the full buffet to ensure more seafood on the hot selection. He was pleased about your comment on the breakfast buffet.

The pools have been enhanced this week with all 5 pool pergolas being recovered and the pool umbrellas installed. The Pool Bar has been upgraded and opened last Saturday, with it open weekends until December 26th then daily until after Australia Day and then weekends again until Easter.

I am also really pleased to advise that queue waiting time has been addressed with additional staff on during peak period, and the increase in use of the Express Checkout (if guests have no outstanding balance) process.

I am also hopeful that the new shopping center owners will upgrade their carpark lift to assist our guests, but also like your comment about bringing the car down to our entry. Our concierge are there to help with luggage and also we have the valet car parking service as well (only $15 per night).

Again sincere thanks for the great feedback

Kind regards

Toronto
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Hotel is in poor condition with a desperate need for room upgrades - I had what appeared to be urine stained walls in my washroom. There is very poor soundproofing and staff could care less with one exception, Mike the front desk manager is a ray of common sense and excellent at customer service. Without Mike's intervention I would have scored this shabby hotel at 1.

I attended an inter-governmental conference with people from more than 20 countries, it was hilarious every day for 5 days to have to ask for forks to eat the snacks which ranged from large slices of fruit, to scones, cakes etc. etc. The staff were somewhat surprised every time I asked with two comments that "we don't use forks in Australia for finger food". Well with people from so many countries at a conference and shaking hands etc. etc……it's not a "normal" practice to eat messy/sticky finger food with your fingers with our plates, forks or napkins.

We had a business dinner with 10 people in the restaurant and as a strict vegetarian, I negotiated a plate of steamed vegetables for the main course. Two fellow guests decided to do the same. We were served a pile of vegetables in a small soup dish and I asked if they could be put into a big plate as this was the main course. Two people across from me commented that if looks could kills the waitress would have done it there and then.

Another disturbing point was to have to pay the full amount for the hotel in advance - with no possibility to shorten the stay and get a refund. With work happening in the street 24/7 and heavy machinery working, the hotel moved at least 10 guest I am aware of to other rooms to get some sleep. Better quality windows and doors would have probably done the trick.

All in all - shabby and poor quality hotel with staff who generally don't want to be there, the exception is Mike.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
ASPGM, General Manager at Mantra on View Hotel, responded to this review, 3 November 2013
Dear OttVanTor,

Please accept my sincere apologies for the issues you faced and be assured the issues re the conference foods has been addressed this morning with the Executive Chef and Executive Assistant Manager responsible for Food & Beverage.

I have also sat with Mike this morning to thank him and also pass on your comments to our other department heads, as our focus on staff service, attitude and friendliness are paramount, especially in older properties - service must be outstanding.

In saying this, we are working with our body corporate to address the property condition and have already completed 80% of all rooms with new beds, all balcony furniture replaced, corridor and room painting underway and tennis court upgrade completed. New sheer curtains currently being installed and in early 2014 we will install new bed runners, pillow bolster and cushions.

In addition conference room upgrades are planned with new seating and carpets, as well as our new Day Spa operator commencing last Friday.

While all these changes will assist, our employees and service will be a primary focus as well, to provide guests the service they should expect.

Light Rail construction night works - according to the constructors has now finished in our area.

Again, sincerest apologies and I am confident the issues you had with morning tea etc are now resolved.

Kind regards and sincere thanks for taking the time to provide feedback.

Caloundra, Australia
Reviewed 2 November 2013

We stayed in August this year with my husband and his parents and found the location to be superb. Check in was easy and parking was even easier you can park wherever you like in the car parking area for no extra charge! nice surprise. The room was clean and the view was lovely, you could see accross Surfers Paradise as well as the ocean. Easy walking distance into the main hub of Surfers Paradise and right across the road from the beach. The pool area and tennis courts looked like they were undergoing renovation which is needed, should look beautiful when they finish everything. Would stay again next time we are down on the Gold Coast.

Room Tip: Make sure you get an ocean view! Well worth it.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear HannahC,

Feedback such as yours is used with our teams and body corporate to improve, enhance and acknowledge areas of the property and team. We have completed the tennis court, which has been fully resurfaced, fenced and lit and this week we finalise the installation of the pool pergolas. The gardens have all been upgraded and the pool bar nearing completion.,

Our location is a real benefit to guests, a few hundred meters to the beach and 1 -2 blocks to central Surfers and the entertainment options. The light rail will also be very beneficial to guests when completed, allowing transport to Pacific Fair (Broadbeach) and also Australia Fair and Griffith University and the new Gold Coast hospital.

We will continue our upgrades with corridor painting, room painting and replacement of bed runners, pillow bolsters and cushions.

We look forward to you future stays with us.

Kind regards and again many thanks for the feedback it is much appreciated