“Definitely a sow's ear, but not too far off a silk purse.”

Ranked #18 of 32 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Canberra, Australia
“Definitely a sow's ear, but not too far off a silk purse.”
Reviewed 15 November 2012 via mobile

The Vibe at Surfers occupies an old building that even a very good renovation job doesn't quite redeem. The building is about as ugly as they get and the public spaces show their age.
The room I had, however, didn't have this feeling of someone trying to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse. The renovation job has been well carried out, and the views on the river side are very nice.
The hotel is just beyond the worst of Surfer's Paradise's excesses, so it's reasonably quiet while still being close enough to restaurants, shopping and the beach. Both halves of the supermarket duopoly are within five minutes walk.
The bed I had was quite comfortable but it was one of those king sized ones made up of two singles, so it had a lump in the middle. The pillows were incredibly thin, but there were a pair of cushions with a bit of lift to them.
The shower was something of a squish. My hair brushed the ceiling before I even got near the rose, and I had to kneel in order to get my hair wet. This was a bit of a reminder that the building dates from a less pragmatic era.
The hotel claims to follow an environmental policy of not replacing towels that are hung rather than scrunched, but I found my hung towel replaced each day anyway, so there's not much in the claim. Seems to me a hotel with a genuine concern about the environment would have recycling bins in the rooms.
Parking is available, but for the next year or two, it would be wise to allow extra time as the construction of a light rail line is making Surfers always atrocious traffic even worse than normal.
Overall, a fine hotel with generally great staff.

• Stayed November 2012
VibeHotelGC, Manager at Vibe Hotel Gold Coast, responded to this review, 23 November 2012
Dear trevar

I am very pleased to hear that you would stay with us again on your next visit, please feel free to book with us directly next time you travel to Surfers Paradise

Hotel Duty Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (334)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 15 November 2012 via mobile

This hotel is right on Gold Coast hwy but don't let that deter you. It right next to the surfers paradise bus stop so you have direct access to all the lines within a 2 min walk so getting to the theme parks was super simple. It's also a 5 minute walk from cavill ave and a 10 min walk to the beach so no complaints there. We were offered 20% off and complimentary room upgrade for staying 10 nights so that was amazing. The view from our room was great especially since we were on the 19th floor and the doors were completely soundproof so we heard no traffic/noise from outside. Only complaint would be breakfast, it was buffet style but completely unoriginal with the eggs looking like they had come from a packet and most fruit from a tin, the juice and milk containers were always mostly empty. We also very rarely got a clean/set table as there was only ever two staff members on at a time even when the room was full. So that was a bit disappointing but everything was really great.

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Linley S

Thank you very much for your feedback regarding your recent visit to Vibe Hotel Gold Coast on Trip Advisor.

We are grateful that you took the time to review us. We at Vibe Gold Coast always welcome feedback from our clients. Without feedback, we cannot know the true experience our guests have had whilst staying at the Hotel.

I can see from your feedback that you enjoyed your experience & always great to hear you’ve

Once again, thank you for your patronage at Vibe Hotel Gold Coast. We look forward to welcoming you back when you next travel to Surfers Paradise. Please do not hesitate to contact us directly for any assistance in making your forward reservation.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 November 2012

This was our fifth visit to the Vibe Hotel located in a very central location in exciting Surfers Paradise. Everything is well within walking distance, and bars, restaurants, nightclubs are right on the doorstep.

Travelling with a reasonably large group on an annual long weekend trip, The Vibe as usual made us all feel welcome and nothing is a problem for the very friendly management team.

Rooms are clean, tidy and have everything you need to sleep in peace. Concrete walls between rooms keep the noise to a minimum. The pool and spa area are a delight and well maintained.

If I had to be fussy and pick out something to I prove, it would probably be the fact that the two elevators are probably inefficient in times of maximum occupancy. That said, it's not much to complain about.

Great weekend - we will return.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mullos1962
VibeHotelGC, Manager at Vibe Hotel Gold Coast, responded to this review, 15 November 2012
Dear Mullos1962

The team at Vibe Hotel Gold Coast are delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay at Vibe Hotel Gold Coast and thank you for taking the time to provide us with your positive feedback. I was pleased to read that this was your fifth time staying with us.

Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 10 November 2012

At first glance, this was a great hotel - colourful, modern and comfortable....but as we looked closer we realised it wasn't very clean. The carpet hadn't been vacuumed in a while, the glasses needed rincing before use and we found a couple of long black hairs on our bed and a towel that did not belong to us! The location was great, nice and central and the staff were really friendly. We really appreciated that we could check in early too and were only expecting they'd hold our bags until check in time. The bar had a happy hour which was great. It's just a pity the cleanliness let it all down. We spent two nights here, but I don't think we'd go back as cleanliness is pretty important to us no matter what we pay to stay. It was quite loud on the Friday night but I think you'd get that anywhere staying in town, it wasn't too bad and didn't keep us up though. We stayed on the 6th floor and the view was nice!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Newlyweds246

We appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback.

In relation to the points you have raised I will address your concerns with the Housekeeping department to improve our overall guest experience.

I would like to thank you providing this feedback and if you would like to discuss this in more detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel 07 5539 0444.

Invercargill, New Zealand
Reviewed 4 November 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a week long stay at the Vibe GC - we booked and paid for a studio room and upon our arrival were told we had been upgraded to a studio, which was what we had originally paid for, so not sure what that was about... we did request a high room, but if that was their terminalogy for an upgrade, they should re think how they use the term 'upgrade'.

Location was great, very central and as it was our first time hiring a rental car; the parking charge and facilities were affordable and appropriate.

Being a travel agent in my previous profession, I felt our room was a bit tired with the colours and decor having seen better days - especially with our couch having a hand sized hole in it, which was covered up by the strategically placed cushions... Having read the reviews on TA before booking, the Vibe seemed to match what we were after and at the end of the day it had everything we needed for our stay, so I guess I must have had higher expectations than what ended up being the case, as I went in thinking I was getting a 4.5 star hotel and a great price, where both my husband and myself felt that was a bit misleading and that it should be more of a 3 star rating.

On our last night we were woken around 0130 by a very loud noise that turned out to be the water pipes having a wee tantrum, though it sounded more like a compressor trying to shake them through the walls - staff came up to try and sort the issue, but didn't seem to know what was going on and thankfully it didn't happen again, that night anyway - though the staff the following morning at check-out didn't seem too concerned and came across as though they just wanted the money for the incidentals and to get rid of us, so not a very nice feeling for us leaving at all.

Oh and if you book the couples package, the box of chocs on offer means a total of three chocs, just so you know.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mel L
Dear Mel L

We appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback, as its always good to hear good & not so good experiences.

In the point you've raised about the star rating, I'm please to advise you that as of last friday we were assessed by an indepenent AAA assesor which gave the hotel a 4.5 star rating.

Vibe Gold Coast
melbourne
Reviewed 25 October 2012 via mobile

Very clean. Good location . Friendly reception . Very modern hotel.
Had a drunk person come to our door called reception and they came up to our room immediately . Which was good.
Over all I recommend this hotel to anyone because it is super clean and very modern!

From room 1711

• Stayed October 2012
VibeHotelGC, Manager at Vibe Hotel Gold Coast, responded to this review, 31 October 2012
Dear missY011

We are grateful that you took the time to review us. We at Toga Hospitality always welcome feedback from our clients. Without feedback, you do not know the true guest experience had whilst staying at the Hotel.

We can see from your feedback that you enjoyed your experience. We know when one travels to Gold Coast that you have a great number of Hotels to choose from, so thank you for choosing Vibe Hotel Gold Coast and staying with us a “hotel with personality”.

Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 24 October 2012

I arrived to Australia in the end of August. I arrived alone with my whole life in a suitcase. I didn’t know anyone in the country, didn’t have a home, the only thing I had was the address to Vibe Hotel in Surfers Paradise. The place I was going to stay at my first days in Australia, actually my first days of a new experience and a memory for life.
My room at Vibe Hotel felt clean, safe and kept a high standard. It was the perfect room to charge the batteries after a 35 hours flight. Above this the hotel was located central in Surfers Paradise, close to the beach (maximum 5 min walk), restaurants and shops.

Today, a couple of weeks later, I am really glad that I spent my first day at Vibe Hotel. It is a hotel that gives you what you pay for and you can always expect a clean room. All this was the perfect scenario for me while I was a lost and confused girl in a new country.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Vererla
Dear Vererla

Thank you for your kind review, we are glad to hear that we could make your stay after a long trip we could make it relaxing for you.

We hope to see you again back at the Vibe sometime in the futre.