“Exceded my expectations!! Will stay again!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Vibe Hotel Gold Coast

Vibe Hotel Gold Coast
Ranked #18 of 33 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Caloundra, Australia
“Exceded my expectations!! Will stay again!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2009

My husband and I stayed at Vibe Hotel on a Saturday and Sunday night to attend a music festival. I left booking very late on a busy weeked, and ended up finding Vibe on roamfree.com I payed $290 on Sat and $140 for Sunday for an ocean view studio unit.

The resort seems like it is an older building that has been fully renovated inside and out in a very funky retro decor. The location is excellent, right on the banks of one of the canals, with views of the city and ocean, and 1 block to Cavill Ave. There is lots of room at the entrance to park your car and check in, and then easy underground parking is available for $5 a night. Reception likes to keep your car keys but we didn't hand ours over and had no problems.

We were in room 2109, on the second top floor. Check in was relatively smooth, we were there at midday and the room was not ready, I had to get ready in the foyer toilets, it was slightly frustrating that there was no powerpoint for my hair straightener. We came back at 2pm, check in time, but it took until 2:10 for them to organize our room, but they were friendly and kept us up to date, and it was a very busy weekend.

We were instantly happy with our room, a great cozy layout for a couple, I would defiantly recommend a studio, it is 15% bigger than a motel room, and the perfect amount of space in my opinion.

There seems to be someone at the front desk all night, and there is 24hour room service too. Entry at night is easy with a swipe card. Elevators are a little slow and creeky.

On the sunday I felt like taking some time out and just relaxing in the motel room. I watched 2 moves for $14.95 each, there was a good range. The TV is a nice wallmounted flat panel, medium size, sound is okay. The bed and pillows were sooo comfy, I normally sleep on a latex mattress and usually take my own pillow to motels, didn't even use it here, it was so luxurious for a busy mother of three to lay in a comfy bed, with lovely decor around watching a pick from a good range of movies.

The Monday morning we decided to dine for brekky in the motel restaurant, Curve. It was due to open at 6:30, we were there and 6:25 and a little frustrated when it was still not open at 6:45... I ended up just going in and looking around till I found a staff member to ask when it was open. After this they got things moving quickly and we were soon seated. Staff were friendly and attentive.

We had the hot buffet, there is a good range and good quality, the tomatoes were phenomenal, miso soup was a tasty surprise, provided for the frequent Japanese market, and enjoyed greatly by me. Juices were tasty, tea was a good range, my husband said his cappuccino was terrible though. The only thing that was missing was tasty mushrooms, VIBE PLEASE ADD MUSHROOMS AND YOUR BREKKY WOULD BE A 5STAR EXPERIENCE!!! Curve's decor is the same theme as the rest of vibe, trendy and retro, with splashes of lime green, and very fresh looking. Curve has a great view over the Canal and hotel pool area.

Checkout was simple and friendly, with no surprise charges. Overall we were soo happy to stay in a place that complimented a wonderful weekend away. I hope I get to stay again!!!! Thank you Vibe!!!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank twippa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2009

Booked through Air New Zealand website and got a great price. Stayed for four nights from 13.02.2009.

Check in/out was fast and easy. Receptionist's had great customer service.

Stayed on room on level 6 with river view. Room had fantastic views of the river, suburbs and ranges. Room was fantastic, really modern and up-to-date furnishings. However the shower head was extremly low. Had to bend slightly to get right under.
Room service was excellent. Food was delivered fast and always hot and fresh.
Was handy having the in house movies which were cheap.
Internet available in the lobby area. $2 for $15 mins.
Pool was fantastic. Heaps of room and nice being on the river.

5 min stroll to the beach, and a short walk to shops, restaurants and cafes.
Theme parks 15 - 25 min taxi ride away.

All the service I recieved was friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank HelenMGisborne
dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2009

We stayed here for 3 nights on a bed and breakfast package.Rooms were very large, clean and spacious (the equivalent of a self contained unit without a cooker but had a microwave)
Car parking only $5
The package we were on allowed us a free drink in the bar each evening but when we checked in we got a voucher for a free drink when you purchase a main meal so be warned if your not planning on dining there.
The rooms were great but the shower was very low anybody over 5'5 aint gonna fit under it.
Breakfast was good but nothing special and staff seamed under pressure to get room service orders done before dealing with people in front of them.
Gym has the bare essentials but the pool is nice
All in all good hotel , location was brilliant.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank sheebad
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2009

I stayed at the Vibe Surfers Paradise in August 2008 for 2 nights.

I booked one of their higher floored units (level 19) to be away from the street noise. The unit was nice without being great, brilliant hinterland and river views. I found the staff friendly, and location fantastic (I didnt have a car)

The warning I have is the mini bar.
Reading previous reviews looks like I am not the only one.
Let me point out, I have stayed at many hotels with mini bar facilities and never had an issue

I had used a couple of items from the mini bar on the last night of my stay, which I paid for on check out. I even asked them if they wanted to check the mini bar and unit overall, as I dont want any nasties appearing on my credit card later. They assured that wont be necessary.

Low and behold, a few days later, got a letter from the Vibe stating I had used over $20 worth of the mini bar and was charged on my visa card !!!!! Sure enough, checked my online banking as was indeed charged. I was quite annoyed, sent them an email and then a followup email a few days later, but no reply to either (However very prompt replies when I was asking a couple of questions prior booking the 2 nights).

I could only think that the mini bar wasnt properly stocked up prior to my check in. Was I suppossed to do a count check on check-in myself? Either that or something dodgy is going on.

On principle and poor (zero) follow up on this, I wont be staying there again. A damm shame as I really liked the hotel and frequent the GC 2-3 times a year

For a $20 error/mistake/con whatever you want to call it, it put a sour taste in my mouth. They will literally lose hundreds from me per year.

• Liked — Location, views (on the 19th floor)
  • Disliked — no mini bar follow up after being charged
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo

-Great Room
-nice comfy beds
-hearty buffet breakfast
- family friendly
-decent view of the sea and river
- close to shopping mall and restruants

negatives-

-shower head is a bit low...but rest of the positives are enough to overlook this!!!

• Liked — Great room
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Ameetha
Grimsby, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2008

We booked the Vibe through with Airmiles, so cost wasn't an issue. We were in room 1402, with a lovely view over the Nerang River and over to the mountains. Room was huge, with plenty of storage space, comfortable bed and reasonably priced mini-bar. We had booked two days before the Indy, but found the hotel relatively quiet, with check in quick and easy. Parking was $5 a night. Location is good, but I could imagine the noise on the main road could be a nuisance if you were on that side.

• Liked — nice pool.
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kirslowe
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2008

I'd read mixed reviews, but it was the closest to a wedding i was going to so i booked it anyway and was glad i did.

The room was on a low level so it was really noisy on the balcony, but fine with the balcony door closed. It was just a studio room, so i expected it to be tiny, but was actually huge, with plenty of room to spread out.

I really hate the Gold Coast, where ever you end up going don't expect too much from the staff, service is pretty [--] at restaurants, shops and hotels ingeneral, that said, the staff at Vibe did their best, but they weren't bright and lost my booking details (at check out not checking in) and were generally just slow.

The one thing i liked was for a few extra dollars you could get a late check out

If you're planning on spending most of your time doing activities rather than at the hotel, this will suit you fine, but if you're on a romantic getaway and planning on staying in, at least try to get a room higher up with a view

• Liked — large room and late check out
  • Disliked — no technology - gym was also pretty crappy
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled solo