“Ask and you shall receive”
Review of QT Gold Coast

QT Gold Coast
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Brisbane
“Ask and you shall receive”
Reviewed 18 April 2011

First things first........The staff here are incredible as are the already renovated sections of the hotel. After becoming a Rydges priority guest, I expected a better room for the $300+ dollars I paid for the room and a higher floor. When we got to the room, I was disapointed. The beds looked like they had been laid on and not made very well. There was milk open in the fridge and corn chips spilt on the floor. The room was VERY dated. After 2 hours debating as to weather I should have a winge to the staff I went back down stairs and spoke to the very lovely Amanda at the front counter who initially was going to ask houskeeping to fix up the issues. I told her that I wasnt happy with that and wanted a room change. No problems what so ever. Amanda gave me a room on the 19th Floor and this room was better appointed and had a different fitout to the others(one of the new rooms????? not sure).
In hindsight, paying what I did and being a Rydges priority guest, I would have expected this room straight off the bat.
This hotel is going to be awesome when its finished as the most important things are in place already...i.e Great Staff and excellent customer service. I filled in an online survey which was sent to me by the hotel and expressed my concern over what happenend and I actually received a response from a real person which surprised me greatly.
Also I must commend the hotel on how sound proof the doors are. We had some trashy Bogan chicks staying on our floor and felt the need to "Hang out" in the hallway at 4pm making alot of noise. I got up to get a drink of water and I only heard them when I went really close to the door.
Ill be staying again but only when the place is fully renovated.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
QTGoldCoast_Mgmt, Manager at QT Gold Coast, responded to this review, 6 May 2011
Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions on your visit to the QT Gold Coast.

I am pleased that while your initial room was not of the standard that you were expecting as soon as you spoke to Amanda she was able to resolve all of your concerns. For your reference our rooms are scheduled to be refurbished this year, so next time you visit you will be able to experience a QT room!

CC: Matt Lawton – General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (766)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 15 April 2011

We stayed there end of March and begining of April for 1 week. I was enjoying the ocean breeze with my kids( it was raining) and we suddenly smelled cigarette smokes and we quickly closed our sliding door, we didn't have anymore problem after that day, so I didn't bother letting the staff know. On the last 2 days of our stay ( weekend) the smoke got worse, we aksed the front desk if smoking was permitted on balcony on none smoking floors, we were told no and they would let security know, we continued to smell the smoke and just kept the slding door closed. Good thing the weather was so nice , we were out at the beach most of the day.
Other than that everything else was good, staff at front desk and concierge were very friendly and helpful, service was really fast. The room did not quite look like what was on the picture at the hotel ( still under renovation ?), decor a bit outdated with cracked floors and tiles in the bathroom . The cleanliness of the room all depends on who you get from housekeeping. We met all our housekeepers during our stay, the first 2 days were not up the standard , but after that was just great. We got extra stuff without asking for them but didn't get any with a note left behind on the first 2 days, gratuity didn't make any difference.
My husband was on the working holiday, internet was pricey, no WIFI in the room.
The gym was basic, but TV not working and I forgot to bring my music.
Pool was nice, but it was cold when we were there. The beach was warmer.
Despite our bad luck with the smokes, I recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ocean view room view is best after the 16th floor.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Gold Coast, responded to this review, 16 March 2013
Dear bcjr,

Thanks so much for your review. Sounds like you had a wonderful stay apart from some pesky smokers on the balconies. We are absolutely a non-smoking hotel, but being a hotel where every room has a balcony comes with this very drawback sometimes. It is not a regular occurrence, but it does happen. So sorry for this.

We hope that the great things during your stay outweighed this part of the trip and that we may see you again next time you are in town.

Sas
QT
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 12 April 2011

This hotel was just brilliant. We just wanted a reasonably priced one-night getaway, but we got so much more. The hotel is under going a refurbishment and the lobby is just breathtaking, the bar, pool, cafe and reception areas are beautiful. While the rooms are yet to be refurbished they are still very modern and the bathrooms look practically new. We stayed in an ocean view room which had lovely balcony overlooking the beach which is about 2 minutes walk from the hotel. It's in a great spot and I would highly recommended it.

We particularly enjoyed our dinner at the hotel's restaurant, Bazzar. The dining experience is like a 5-star buffet for a very reasonable price where you're able to talk to the chefs and they make special meals on the spot at your request. The atmosphere was wonderful and it was most enjoyable.

Looking forward to seeing the finished refurb, but would definitely still recommended the QT Hotel in the meantime.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
QTGoldCoast_Mgmt, Manager at QT Gold Coast, responded to this review, 12 April 2011

I was pleased to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to experience dinner in Bazaar. Being able to speak to the chefs and order small tastings cooked fresh certainly makes it a different experience to a normal buffet.

Brisbane
Reviewed 10 April 2011

Hopefully, for the last time.... as this time is defintely the last time we book accomodation through WOTIF.
We had booked a room with request for one bed and a special with a seaview upgrade. We got a room on the 3rd floor with two beds directly by the exhaust system servicing the restuarant. We asked to change and were told we could only get a non ocean facing room, again with two beds. The person on the counter basically confirmed that all other guest who had booked direct with the hotel would get priority and therefore no rooms available for us. So the advice is if you get an email from WOTIF saying they have an exclusive special, ignore it and call the hotel direct.
As for the hotel, as the oher reviews state the rooms have not yet been upgraded so ageing. Dinner was okay and breakfast was good. The Bar food was a bit disapointing as my partner is North American and was looking forward to the californian cuisine.
Overall funky lobby but is that enough?
Currently good value, I would reccomend this hotel to a friend when they finish the rooms but I guess the good prices will probably change then too.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Canadian_KR
QTGoldCoast_Mgmt, Manager at QT Gold Coast, responded to this review, 11 April 2011

I was sorry to hear your concerns regarding your room location and the response you received from the front desk when you expressed your concerns. On behalf of the QT Gold Coast I would like to sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused to you on what should be a trouble free stay. It is obvious we have not delivered the required service to you on this occasion.

It is true that our rooms have not yet been refurbished; currently we are in the final stages of design and will commence the refurbishment program very shortly. It is taking a little time but this is because we want to make sure that the end result is something amazing.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the QT Gold Coast once the room refurbishment is complete.

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 6 April 2011

My husband and I just had the best weekend getaway we enjoyed this hotel so much that we are look rebook next month. The hotel is centrally located to beach and shops but we spent most of the time just hanging out in the hotel. They have just refurbished the lobby, bar (stingray) and restaurant - ultra cool. They even have a great coffee window/cafe. The staff are actually friendly too! The food is amayzing - esp breakfast. Even if your not staying at this hotel you must experience Stingray for a drink in the evening or brunch in the restaurant. I was not too sure about this hotel when I booked it as I've never heard of QT before but would now have hesitation to do so. Enjoy.

Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
QTGoldCoast_Mgmt, Manager at QT Gold Coast, responded to this review, 8 April 2011

The renovations have made a great impact on the hotel and we are finding that while we are close to all that Surfers has to offer a lot of our guests are choosing to spend more and more time around the hotel. With the range of options available it’s not hard to find exactly what you want.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the QT Gold Coast next month.

Melbourne
Reviewed 5 April 2011

My partner and I recently stayed here during a quick weekend beach escape and couldn't be happier. The hotel foyer has undergone a recently completed renovation. The rooms are more than adequate with comfy beds, flat screen tvs. Bathrooms are starting to get a little dated but more than adequately do their job. The best part about this hotel (besides the outstanding service) is the location - a short 5 minute stroll from the shopping precinct and 1 block away from the beach. We will definitely be staying here when we next head up to the Gold Coast.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
QTGoldCoast_Mgmt, Manager at QT Gold Coast, responded to this review, 5 April 2011

It’s great to hear that you enjoyed your weekend beach escape with us. We are certainly in a great location that allows you to access all that Surfers Paradise has to offer but also escape the crowds if you want to.

Auckland
Reviewed 4 April 2011

This hotel is a "work in progress". The general areas and restaurants are wonderfully rennovated and our room although not yet done looked like it had been painted and freshened up. I'm looking forward to see it all finished - a good excuse for another weekend away, I think!

As others have said, ALL staff are fantastic, friendly and so helpful. Lady on desk arranged a Hotel Info book as none in room (alas it didn't have much info in it at all). Concierge were always greeting us and even staff unrelated to anything we were doing would speak a friendly greeting as they the passed us in walkways. Amanda in Stingray is wonderful. We couldn't get in there Saturday night - it was so busy - so we had lunch Monday which was very yummy and well priced. We didn't dine at Bazaar but had a tour through the restaurant and will definitely try it another time. On checking out we were able to leave our car until later in the day and even given a card to get in and out all day if we wanted.

Having chosen the cheapest option for a two night stay we were very happy with our room - just two small points - the bed was a double (2 doubles in room) so a little small, a queen size would have been nicer. And unfortunately like a previous person said, cleaning was not quite up to standard. The toilet was not clean. A sweet wrapper was behind a chair and quite obvious to see. Good points - very clean bed linen, towels etc all lovely.

A bonus is the small gym - very nice! Also the pool which we admired but didn't get time to use.

Absolutely recommend this hotel and loved the retro fit out.

Room Tip: Our room was quiet with balcony door closed.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple

I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed you weekend away with us and intend to return to see what our finished rooms look like. You will definitely have to try Bazaar and Yamagen on your next visit as they are both amazing dining experiences.

Please accept my apologies for you concerns with the room cleanliness, I do appreciate all the feedback I receive and will certainly be taking action with my Executive Housekeeper in response.