“Pretty disappointing”

Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Pretty disappointing”
Reviewed 22 June 2011

Property is quite old and under considerable construction. Was greeted with the entire entry drive blocked-off (now back in operation) for construction. Considerable wait at the front desk with at least one other person having the same problem I had gaining entry to their room (3 trips up and down the rather slow to arrive elevators to get a bell man to go up with me and open my room as there is a "privacy" slide on the back of the door, which prevents the guest keys from working). The room: the lightbulb was out on the most useful lamp in the room, the clock-radio was flashing the wrong time and needed to be reset, very dated room and bath, in-room safe did not work as battery had died, etc.. The lobby is quite nice and the property looks good from the ground floor (aside from the construction). The bar is worth a visit, particularly if you are XY.

While the rates are fairly reasonable, the sacrifice is in the rooms, construction noise and the like.
Do not pay $8/day to park in the garage. Park on the street directly in front of the hotel for free.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Gold Coast, responded to this review, 16 March 2013
Hi Osdanuwati,.

Thanks so much for your review. The hotel has been completely renovated since your stay so all issues are now not an issue any more which is wonderful!

We hope to see you again soon.

Sas
QT

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (766)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 18 June 2011

My partner and I stayed here for one night on 28/05 as we got free accommodation from purchasing Gold Class movie tickets. Having read the review on TA prior to my arrival to QT, I wasn’t too surprised and disappointed with the big contrast between the newly renovated lobby & bars and the dated hotel room/bathrooms that somehow missed out on the renovation. However, there is still plenty of room for improvement if QT wants to position itself as THE five-star designer hotel in Surfers Paradise.

What I liked:
- Location is convenient as it’s within short walking distance to the beach and all the shops, restaurants and bars
- There is plenty of street parking around the hotel. You just need to watch the signs before you park.
- The funky looking lobby and bar makes you feel relaxed every time you walk in. It’s a nice place to enjoy a drink or read a magazine or book.
- The bright red uniform worn by the staff that matches the new look of the hotel
- The room is clean overall. Everything worked fine.
- Nice view of the ocean from the Ocean View Room
- There is cable TV and in-house movies in the room

What I didn’t like:
- No free wifi in the room: We brought in our own modem as we couldn’t live without the internet and didn't want to pay.
- The bathroom is really dated and in desperate need refurbishment. The use of shower curtain over the old bath tub is a big let-down for me after being WOWed by the chic, stylish foyer.
- They seemed to be understaffed at the reception as we had to queue for at least 5 minutes for BOTH Check-in and Check-out. There was no drama checking in but it would have been nicer if the female staff that served us showed a bit of smiles and be a bit down to earth. The lack of enthusiasm was just a bit out of place in such a nice looking hotel foyer.
- Staff telephone manner definitely needs improvement. The female staff that I talked to was not that friendly on the phone when I rang during the day to book the Yamagen restaurant (in the hotel) for dinner. The restaurant wasn’t open at the time so she had to take reservation on behalf of the restaurant and the tone of her voice sounded like she was doing me a huge favour by taking my call.

Overall, I wouldn’t say it was a five star experience despite the fact that they have self-rated themselves as a five star hotel. The room we had is probably 3.5 to 4 star standard. The service also didn’t live up to the “first class service” expectation as they have stated on Wotif. There was no one to open the doors for us. We had to carry our luggage to the room ourselves. There was hardly any staff who greeted us every time we walked into the hotel. It is minor details like these that differentiate a hotel from a normal boutique hotel to a five star boutique.

I can see where QT is trying to go with their “transformation” but at the moment it’s a job half done. QT has done an excellent job transforming the foyer and bars to look chic and funky. However, this transformation needs to be consistent throughout the hotel, to ensure all guests enjoy their stay from the moment they step into the hotel until the moment they step out. The un-renovated part of the hotel not only makes it look like they ran out of refurbishment budget, but also ruins the cool, sophisticated image they have created in their marketing and the efforts they put into the renovated part of the hotel. Most importantly, the transformation needs to be backed up by the service! If QT wants to market itself as the funky, sophisticated, stylish and vibrant hotel, all the staff needs to be fun, energetic, and friendly and provide professional services in order to create a consistent impression to its guests.

QTGoldCoast, Manager at QT Gold Coast, responded to this review, 23 June 2011
Hey Waterlover 616!

I loved reading your review, it was so well thought out and has given me so much valuable feedback and I'm going to follow up every single aspect.

First, just allow me to just say how much I smiled when I read that you loved our new lobby and bar! We really pride ourselves on on the new parts of the Hotel that really speak for themselves.
And soon the entire hotel will be following with a complete refurbishment of the rooms, elevators, hallways, bathrooms and balcony's. The best part is, that refurb is starting VERY SOON and will be complete by the end of the year, making sure our quirky but classy theme is completely consistent from the rooms, to the restaurants to the finishing touches you'll find everywhere.

As for your comments on the customer service, I take all comments very seriously and can personally assure you I will follow it up. The next time you walk into our Hotel (I hope you come back!) you will be totally blown away by the transformation that will have come about thanks to your review. It's thanks to reviews just like this one that these things are brought to our attention so they can be fixed.

Once again, appreciate it and please visit again in future, I'd be more than happy to personally welcome you back :-)

Regards,
Monique Clark
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 14 June 2011

I stayed in this hotel over the Queens Birthday long weekend.I paid $110.00 per night by buying e-tokens from this hotels website.I thought the decore in the foyer was a bit out there but it gave you something to look at compared to other hotels sterile foyers.On arrival the staff were friendly and helpful through out the visit.I stayed on level 18 and the views were perfect with views of the canals and hinterland and the main highways leading into Surfers Paradise.The room was way nicer than some of the other places I have stayed at in Surfers .I was happy with the TV it was modern with all of the digital chanels and also Foxtel chanels.Other hotels still have old TVs and still charge you a fortune to stay there.The bathroom was a bit outdated but it was clean and the hotel is still going through renovations.The Sting Ray bar was very popular in the evenings .I regularly visited the place on arrival back from the shops before going to my room.The Sting ray menu looked inviting maybe I will try it next visit.If there was anything negative it would be the location sometimes it was a bit of a hike to the shops and back,this cant be helped but some of the inner hotels are expensive with basic facilities.
If you wish to try out this hotel I highly recommend you do it now with opening specials and cheap winter rates.In the summer and tourist season the rates will more than likely double.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
Dear Gavinross10,

Sounds like we ticked all of the boxes for an amazing hotel experience during your stay! Great views, good room, great service equals one happy customer!

With our new rooms coming online this year we will have another reason for you to come back and celebrate with us, so please think of us next time you are in town.

Adelaide
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Room 1701
I have previously stayed at this hotel before (formally known as the Gold Coast International). Don't get me wrong....I don't mind the new look, however its just not my taste. I would have preferred to see reno's with a more classical theme instead of retro, but that's just me.
My room had not been done up as yet, so was very 1980's & bathroom was very worn.
The good bits:
-free magazines in the new cafe area next to the reception desk
-funky new bar
-the pool area is great
-I like the use of colours
-the cafe in the foyer next to reception is a great alternative if you want a quick piece of toast/coffee for brekky

The not-so good bits:
-The funky new chairs in the foyer were not comfy
-The restaurants are far too over priced
-I am not a vegaterian, but I didn't appreciate the dead pig hanging up in the window of the buffet restaurant. I can imagine many people who would find that offensive
-being charged $4 for a small jug of milk (real milk instead of the long life stuff in the mini bar fridge) to be delivered to my room. I have never been charged for that before in any hotel
-the beds were old & uncomfortable
-Each room should have a copy of the hotels restaurants menu's as I had to go down to the Japenese restaurant to check out the menu
-no free wifi

There is a great Thai restaurant (Chiang Mai Thai) in the Crown Towers building next door. Excellent food & well priced. There is a Sushi Train just down the road.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Dear Ozzaboz,

It's so great to get reviews from repeat customers of the property. We love that you have come back to the property, and thankyou so much for taking the time to let us know what you loved, and what you felt we could improve on.

How great are the magazines in Fixx Cafe! I have a flip through them each morning as I am waiting for my coffee. It's such an open space a great place to kick back and relax on your downtime.

We have (at last count) 11 types of chair in our lobby, and I'll make it my mission to sit on all of them today to try and find out which one's not doing it's job!

The carvery section in our Bazaar interactive marketplace is one of the most talked about areas of the gorgeous open kitchen. It's usually brought up in rave reviews, so it's interesting to see the other side of the coin on that one. Thankyou for letting us know how you felt about it.

The new beds are on their way with the rooms upgrade beginning in July, and with that will come a whole new level of comfort for our already pampered guests. Exciting!

We have never had Yamagen restaurant menus in the rooms (as it is a stand alone restaurant within the hotels complex) but will take this under advisement and raise it with the foodies.

Thanks for the restaurant tips. I've been dying for a great thai meal, so will have to duck across to Crowne.

Director of Brand Deveoplment
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 13 June 2011

Recently renovated, the staff are the standout feature of this hotel. From reception to room service, housekeeping to the concierge, they are professional and friendly, responsive and helpful. The hotel is in a great location, walk to the beach. Most bathrooms are still to be renovated, but that is the only tired aspect of the hotel. Fabulous restaurants and a happening bar. Modern pool area

Room Tip: apparently room 15 is the best on each floor.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Dear Caryn 2011,

Sounds like you had a wonderful time! Our staff are our greatest asset, and we are always delighted to hear that they are being so well loved by our guests. They all have fantastic local knowledge and really have their fingers on the pulse of teh Gold Coast! Such an invaluable quality for the hotel.

We can't wait until the new rooms are finished and ready to go! The new decor is stunning and will really complete the properties makover.

Hoping to see you again soon..

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 1 June 2011

My husband and I stayed at the hotel just a few weeks ago.
And what an amazing experience.
We enjoyed every minute at the QT hotel.
What an incredible place, we love the new changes, the hotel looks amazing!!!
Very inviting, modern with a hint of glamour :) A fun place to stay.
This is the second time we stayed here and we will definetly be coming back again!!!!

Stingray and Bazaar were incredible! What a pleasant and vibrant environment!
Oh and the food was heavenly! Very, very lovely!
What an AMAZING view from our room :)
It was dreamy and we have many lovely photos of the sparking blue waters of Surfers Paradise.
Overall, QT is a very pleasant place to stay - the staff are lovely and pretty much treat you like royalty!
I highly recommend this place!!!!!!!! Stay at the QT, you will love it <3

Room Tip: Book early!
sasrowlandsQT, Manager at QT Gold Coast, responded to this review, 8 June 2011
Dear Sophie-Con,

Let me tell you gorgeous, if we could have a delightful person like you living in the hotel spreading the QT love like you have in this review, we would.

Your words are the perfect response to all of the attention to detail that we have put into making sure that this property is something to write to the world about. Thankyou so much for taking the time to let us know we are on the right track. Imagine what it will be like when the new rooms come online!

Please come back to us, and when you do make sure to ask for me at front desk. You deserve a big hug, and a couple of drinks on me.

Noosa, Queensland
Reviewed 1 June 2011

QT is the former Gold Coast International and is currently being refurbished. The lobby, Stingray Bar and Bazaar Restaurant are completed. Stingray is quirky, stylish and a Baja California inspired lounge. Just fabulous.
Bazaar is exciting. Bite sized servings of belly pork, stuffed zucchini flowers, fresh figs, lamb rump with hazelnut pesto and rabbit loin wrapped in prosciutto were just a few of the delicacies on offer.
Scallops, oysters, coconut prawns, lamb shanks, confit duck, paella - you name it and they had it.
You don't go to Bazaar for a meal but for a fantastic dining experience.
Can't wait to return when the refurbishments are complete.

sasrowlandsQT, Manager at QT Gold Coast, responded to this review, 8 June 2011
Dear Noosagirl7,

It sounds to us like you are real foodie (given your attention to detail on the menu, and interest in our more adventurous dishes such as the rabbit).

It's music to our ears to get such a glowing review from someone who is obviously very much in touch with the scene, and we will keep working on it to make sure the standard stays at the fantastic 5 star level that our exec chef George and f&b director Dave have elevated our offering to.

We would love to see you back at QT.

With care,