“Fantastic New Bar & Restaurant - Room & Service Average”
Review of QT Gold Coast

QT Gold Coast
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Hervey Bay, Australia
“Fantastic New Bar & Restaurant - Room & Service Average”
Reviewed 3 August 2011

My fiancee and I visited the newly renovated QT Gold Coast (originally the Gold Coast International) for 1 night in late July. Our main reason for choosing the hotel was because of the restaurant. We had visited a while ago before it had been renovated and was very impressed with the seafood buffet. We realised upon booking our room that the restaurant had changed and were both looking forward to testing it out.

We arrived and after waiting 30mins to check in we finally had our room key. The staff were apologetic but not overly friendly. We arrived at our room and discovered they had given us a room with 2 double beds when we purchased a 'Queen Room'. This was rectified with a trip down to reception and a bit of grumbling and we moved into a Double Queen Room as they had no single Queen Rooms available.

Being a Rydges Priority Guest we received a complimentary entree of Spicy Buffalo Wings at the new Stingray bar. These were so spicy we could hardly eat them. But the accompanying cocktails were delicious. The bar staff were not friendly but we received all we asked for in an adequate amount of time.

We then moved up to the Bazaar Restaurant. AMAZING FOOD!! Eveything I tasted was delicious. It included a wide range of foods from seafood to lamb shanks and the dessert was the best I've ever had! Service was friendly and attentive.

Overall I think the rooms definately need a upgrade - the look and feel run down compared to the lobby and restaurant/bar. I actually thought my bed at home was more comfortable than the one at this hotel. The reception staff weren't friendly and did not in any way make you feel welcome. (All except for one usher - always saying hello and asking if we needed any help - I don't know his name though as he wasn't wearing a name tag) The restaurant is definately the hotels main drawcard - I would suggest booking a table as we couldn't get in until 8.30pm!!

Room Tip: Go to the rydges website and become a Rydges Priority Guest (Free) - you then get a discount on all...
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rufusbabe
sasrowlandsQT, Manager at QT Gold Coast, responded to this review, 10 August 2011
It's great to see people really taking time to fill us in on our property. It's a real investment in making sure that we deliver, and that our guests are really invested in the success of our brand, which is a wonderful feeling at this early stage in the game. We can only imagine what it will be like when we are fully renovated and established!

You will love the new rooms, I am sure. They are very much in keeping with the style of the lobby areas. I agree that the food is amazing, and next time you come, please try to make time for dinner in Bazaar. It is truly a one of a kind experience.

I have passed on your staffing notes to the team leaders. We are usually right on top of the friendly pile so I'm not sure why your experience was a bit sour! So sorry.

We look forward to taking care of you again,

QT

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (766)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 2 August 2011

We booked a romance package here as something special for our 20th anniversary & although at the time we thought it was a little expensive it far exceeded our expectations & we could not have been happier. The room was a gorgeous 1 bedroom apartment with lovely bathroom & views of the ocean. Everything from the moment we opened the door was extra special ... romantic music playing, rose petals everywhere & shaped to form a heart on the bed, chocolate dipped strawberries, champagne chilling & spa bath already run & waiting for us. Our hot rock dinner in the restaurant was delicious as was our breakfast the next morning (included in the package). Complimentary bath robes to take home just topped off a wonderful night beautifully. Seriously; my words do not do it justice. Definitely one of the most romantic nights of our lives!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear SunRaeGoldCoast,

We love a good romance here at QT and it's delightful to heard that on such a specal night we delieverd for you! There's nothing better than being taken to a place of absolute luxury when you are wanting to spoil and pamper yourselves, and we take pampering our guests very seriously here at QT :)

We would love to see you again. Let's hope we can get you back for the big 25th!

With care,

King Island, Tasmania
Reviewed 2 August 2011

The refurbishments of this hotel are amazing. Such a great atmosphere and comfortable setting. The restaurant buffet is a little expensive (unless you are a Rydges Priorty Guest and get the discount) but it is also great food and a wonderful variety. The breakfast buffet is equally a great variety with the option of having items cooked fresh or from the buffet. The bar is a lovely atmosphere and very comfortable. There is obviously still some work to be done in relation to the rooms and the pool bar area but I would highly recommend this hotel to others. Unfortunately during our stay the pool bar wasn't open so I feel it would be good customer service to have someone from the bar do a round of the pool area to check if people would like anything. This however was my only negative from a great holiday location.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank KICrew
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Gold Coast, responded to this review, 16 August 2014
Dear gorgeous QT Gold Coast guest,

Thanks so much for a brilliant shout out! We love that you loved us and look forward to seeing you again soonest.

Sas
Reviewed 1 August 2011

Everything was very good - clean rooms, nice staff, good service, nice bar in lobby, everything met or exceeded expectations - would recommend

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank Rhock
sasrowlandsQT, Manager at QT Gold Coast, responded to this review, 1 August 2011
Dear Rhock,

Lovely to hear from you and were are suitably delighted that you had a great stay with us! Make sure to come back and see us once our new rooms are complete!

Thankyou,

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 31 July 2011

My wife, 3yr old girl and I have just spent 2 wonderful nites at the QT and we're still buzzing about our stay even almost 2 hours after arriving home. We could go on and on about the highlights, but with great difficulty we've narrowed it down to 3.
No1 is the Bazaar Restaurant - what a refreshing change to the "standard" dinner/brekky buffet offering that every other hotel has, in fact the word "buffet" kinda cheapens it, this was more an experience. From the decor, the food variety, the helpful staff, the attention to detail etc gets a 10/10 from our family.
No2 Great/awesum/thoughtful/inviting/etc customer service. Just when we thought that good old fashion customer service was a dream... along comes the QT staff. From the check-in desk, concierge, restaurant staff and everyone in between, they made us feel welcomed and at home. Nothing was too much of an effort. In fact we were so impressed that at dinner we had to tip our waitress to show our appreciation, we rarely tip.
No3 See reason No2.
The downsides were: No1 Rooms were pretty stock standard, but we were only in the room to sleep. No2 Internet access was quite pricey, $11 per hr or $24 for 24hrs, the business centre was locked both times I tried. No3 The outside heated pool as stated on the QT website was cold.
All in all, I think we have found our new home away from home on the Gold Coast!!! Looking forward to next time already...

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Teiho
Dear Teiho,

Gorgeous pic of your family! It's fantastic that we took such great care of you. I agree with you on Bazaar. If I had to pick my number once space in the property, I would have to choose it as well. We call it an 'interactive marketplace' drawings it's heritage from busting overseas bazaars where you are surrounded by an overload of sights and scents.

We are currently renovating our rooms which is very exciting. They will be i the same style of the public areas when they are complete and will really assist us in setting the tone for our guests stay .

We are hearing you on the internet and are looking for solutions for this as we speak! I'll have a quick look on our website also and find the misinformation about the pool - it is not heated during winter.

Thankyou very much for taking the time to tell us about your stay,

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 30 July 2011

After paying $280.00 for an ocean view twin room for one night including breakfast we expected the room to match the photos and refurbished themes of the foyer and restaurant areas but were shocked and disappointed to find the rooms have at this stage been left untouched. They are old,tired and very small for the price. The bathroom was small and the titles looked dirty and chipped. The overall condition of the room would be three star on a good day and does not match the five star advertising of the hotel . The staff were very good and when I voiced my concerns you could tell I was not the only guest that has felt somewhat ripped off. I took my concerns to the manager and she has arranged a different room for the second night of our stay. Their pricing policy seems not to favour last minute bookings as the price the same room for the next Saturday night drops considerably .I had planned a special weekend stay for my family I hope it gets better as we would have rather stayed home.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Rivendale218
Dear Rivendale 218,

Thankyou very much for taking the time to review the property. I do hope that the rest of your stay was brighter than how you felt at this point. The room that you had booked was the same as that of the room on the website, so I am unsure how you felt unsure of what the aesthetic was going to be.

It may be that placed next to the redeveloped public areas and food and beverage outlets the rooms really look like they need a spruce up! We totally agree and this is happening currently with our rooms redevelopment happening over the next few months. Very exciting and we are really looking forward to getting the new rooms online and ready for you to book.

The reason why our rate would have been higher for last minute bookings is that we are regularly completely booked out on the weekends, and as with all hotels, higher demand will usually mean a higher premium to be paid for a room.

We would love for you to see our new rooms and I trust that once you began exploring the property, you would have ended up with a wonderful stay with us.

Thankyou,

Sippy Downs, Australia
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Really nice hotel, close to all the action in Surfers Paradise.

The hotel is a remake of an older version, and some of the "old" stuff is still there (in the lift, the restaurants still have their "old" name), but that's a minor issue.

The hotel has bold colours, technical "gizmos", and well appointed rooms. It all looks fairly new and fresh, still.

The buffet breakfast is to die for. You can actually overeat easily on all the goodies. The design of the breakfast area is great as well.

Not your stock standard hotel with the usual trimmings, but definitely one to feast your eyes on if you're in for something different.

Room Tip: Ocean view on one of the higher floors (we were on the 16th) is awesome.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank SiMaKy
Dear SIMaKY,

The marketplace breakfast at Bazaar is, I agree, one of the best I have ever been to. I can eat the granola there until I feel like I can hardly move! The coffee is amazing too. We feel very blessed to have such a great cafe only minutes from our office!

We love that you appreciated the style of the property. It's been such a great thing to watch it all open up like a flower as the new decor takes over from the older style. Everyday I walk in and find something new that I wish I coud take home with me (then I see it in the Q-tigue gift shop and grab one!).

I also agree that the waterview rooms are a really great investment. It's such a beautiful piece of coast here that not seeing the water when you wake up would be missing out on a bit of the action.

Thankyou very much,