I took a mate from Vegas and the lady up to the Gold Coast in early Jan after hearing the radio advertising for QT – thought it sounded pretty much up our alley.
In summary, QT is close to being a great hotel but seems to have a bit of an identity crisis. “Come and play”, “Miami cool” and “glamour and style” are big statements that the décor certainly match, but need some action to really pull off.
First impressions of the hotel were strong. Nice entry, great service with the baggage.
We tried to check-in around 1pm Thursday 5 Jan. The two girls on reception weren’t brilliant. It was obvious they were busy but there was zero acknowledgement for about 3 minutes while they plugged away on the computer. Once up and asked if we could check-in, our details were captured and we were informed we’d have to return at 2pm to checkin. The explanation of any potential additional charges were lacking and it wasn’t a particularly friendly check in procedure. Anyway, after that, the bloke who grabbed our bags and was at the concierge desk at the time (brown hair, Australian, name escapes me) appeared a bit shocked that we couldn’t check-in and subsequently fixed up the room for us immediately before taking us up with the bags and giving us a comprehensive overview of the room. Room was the same number as identified ie the room was actually ready. He was brilliant and is a major asset to the hotel. I was somewhat surprised to see him also running around cleaning up the pool area as well as handling enquiries and taking people to their rooms. Seemed to be everywhere at one time!
When we got up to the room, we were pleasantly surprised with the décor and also the view. A few major omissions though:
- No pen (just a pencil that doesn’t seem to work on anything?)
- No ice anywhere
- No vending machine and the coffee shop closes early
- No tissues anywhere in the room
- No newspapers available for sale or delivery (only for the café I was told?)
- Booking a room for 3 people yet only 2 of everything in the room – glassware, coffee cups etc.
I liked the few chic touches like the pineapple candles and the lemonade; its certainly memorable, but more memorable is the lack of the above few basics.
We hit the pool pretty quickly, and while presented very well, it wasn’t quite as expected. For a property advertised as funky and fresh, I expected a bit more lounge area and some vibe. 20 chairs for a 20-story hotel seems dramatically under-done. With kids running around the pool area, jumping off the pillars of the swim-up bar, the whole concept seemed flawed. Even moreso did the closing of the pool bar at 3pm on both days? It seemed fairly pointless having a pool bar in the middle of summer that closes before the peak period? A note also on the spa; it really needs to be adults only. It was absolute chaos and with a fairly low temperature, you’ve got people sitting there for ages. Theres a serious market for fun pools, and QT could absolutely nail it with a bit of work. Promote the pool bar with an early happy hour, get some regular servers, get some music pumping and they'd be laughing. They just don't seem to realise it....
We also attempted to use the business center. The printer was out, with a sign indicating to go to reception. Once at reception I was then directed to the concierge (turned out to be the same helpful bloke as earlier). The constant redirections were just another frustration.
Internet pricing was extortionate. $25 a day is just absurd these days. No excuses.
All up.... I'll be trying the Hilton next time!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With an enviable location easy walking distance to the beach, Cavill Avenue shopping and the entertainment district, QT Gold Coast blends first class service with inspired facilities. Formerly the Gold Coast International Hotel, QT Gold Coast is a designer hotel haven unlike anything Surfer’s Paradise has seen before. Relax in our revamped pool area, energise on one of two newly re-topped tennis courts or indulge in the all new market place style Bazaar restaurant after sipping a coastal cocktail creation from Stingray Lounge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Ctrip TA, Expedia, Booking.com, Ebookers, TravelUp, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your QT Gold Coast reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Qt Gold Coast Hotel Surfers Paradise
- Hotel Gold Coast International
- Gold Coast International Surfers Paradise
- QT Gold Coast Surfers Paradise, Australia