“Come for the rooms - forget the marketed 'vibe'.”
Review of QT Gold Coast

QT Gold Coast
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Sydney, Australia
“Come for the rooms - forget the marketed 'vibe'.”
Reviewed 31 January 2012

I took a mate from Vegas and the lady up to the Gold Coast in early Jan after hearing the radio advertising for QT – thought it sounded pretty much up our alley.

In summary, QT is close to being a great hotel but seems to have a bit of an identity crisis. “Come and play”, “Miami cool” and “glamour and style” are big statements that the décor certainly match, but need some action to really pull off.

First impressions of the hotel were strong. Nice entry, great service with the baggage.

We tried to check-in around 1pm Thursday 5 Jan. The two girls on reception weren’t brilliant. It was obvious they were busy but there was zero acknowledgement for about 3 minutes while they plugged away on the computer. Once up and asked if we could check-in, our details were captured and we were informed we’d have to return at 2pm to checkin. The explanation of any potential additional charges were lacking and it wasn’t a particularly friendly check in procedure. Anyway, after that, the bloke who grabbed our bags and was at the concierge desk at the time (brown hair, Australian, name escapes me) appeared a bit shocked that we couldn’t check-in and subsequently fixed up the room for us immediately before taking us up with the bags and giving us a comprehensive overview of the room. Room was the same number as identified ie the room was actually ready. He was brilliant and is a major asset to the hotel. I was somewhat surprised to see him also running around cleaning up the pool area as well as handling enquiries and taking people to their rooms. Seemed to be everywhere at one time!

When we got up to the room, we were pleasantly surprised with the décor and also the view. A few major omissions though:

- No pen (just a pencil that doesn’t seem to work on anything?)
- No ice anywhere
- No vending machine and the coffee shop closes early
- No tissues anywhere in the room
- No newspapers available for sale or delivery (only for the café I was told?)

I liked the few chic touches like the pineapple candles and the lemonade; its certainly memorable, but more memorable is the lack of the above few basics.

We hit the pool pretty quickly, and while presented very well, it wasn’t quite as expected. For a property advertised as funky and fresh, I expected a bit more lounge area and some vibe. 20 chairs for a 20-story hotel seems dramatically under-done. With kids running around the pool area, jumping off the pillars of the swim-up bar, the whole concept seemed flawed. Even moreso did the closing of the pool bar at 3pm on both days? It seemed fairly pointless having a pool bar in the middle of summer that closes before the peak period? A note also on the spa; it really needs to be adults only. It was absolute chaos and with a fairly low temperature, you’ve got people sitting there for ages. Theres a serious market for fun pools, and QT could absolutely nail it with a bit of work. Promote the pool bar with an early happy hour, get some regular servers, get some music pumping and they'd be laughing. They just don't seem to realise it....

We also attempted to use the business center. The printer was out, with a sign indicating to go to reception. Once at reception I was then directed to the concierge (turned out to be the same helpful bloke as earlier). The constant redirections were just another frustration.

Internet pricing was extortionate. $25 a day is just absurd these days. No excuses.

All up.... I'll be trying the Hilton next time!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank beejem
sasrowlandsQT, Manager at QT Gold Coast, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
Dear beejem,

Thanks for such a comphrehensive review! You really have strong beliefs on hotels which says to me you must be a very seasoned travller.

The Gold Coast in peak leisure period is always going to be awash with families having fun, and we are very big believers that young hip parents should also be able to have a chilled out holiday in a designer hotel, so sorry to have to say no, but we will never discourage families from kicking up their heels. The 3pm closing time at the bar is catered to exactly what you are asking for - we know that people want to have a cheeky vodka in peace without the squeals of delighted kids, so we invite our guests to join us in Stingray Bar at this time to continue with their partying.

It's also far too hot up here to have a scorching spa, we do though have a Hammam (traditional steam room) in our spaQ which can be accessed with your treaments for those who love it hot!

Here are a few quick answers to your points:

- No pen (just a pencil that doesn’t seem to work on anything?) The white pencil writes on our notepads, which are black and sit with the pencil.
- No ice anywhere - We bring fresh ice up to your room, rather than have ice machines as this is a much more health conscious approach.
- No vending machine and the coffee shop closes early - The bar serves coffee and opens from 12 - 12.
- No tissues anywhere in the room - Tissues are in the bathroom. Very sorry you missed out. This could be remedied by giving reception a buzz.
- No newspapers available for sale or delivery (only for the café I was told?) - Free papers in the cafe for all guests along with a great selection of boutique designer magazines.
- Booking a room for 3 people yet only 2 of everything in the room – glassware, coffee cups etc. - A quick call to reception or in room dining will sort this out for you.

Seems like you did enjoy a lot of your stay, and your ideas are great as a whole! Shame that you are going to the Hilton... but won't be suprised if we see you back here! Maybe a little absence will make the heart grow fonder.

QT

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (766)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 30 January 2012

QT something defiantly a little different with wicked 60 or 70's style i might call it. Perfect if you’re keen for something new other than your standard hotel. We stayed 2 nights over aus day(my bday) and we were greeted with friendly staff and funky uniforms, fresh lemonade & lemons which they bring up to your room! Amazing view of the ocean and don't forget to try on the robes they pure luxury and you can even buy everything in the room, if you wanted. Would recommend the buffet at the Bazarra the variety of food was amazing must try zucchini stuffed flowers and figs with blueberry sauce, ask the chefs about the produce they have and the recipes they were full of information! Breakfast also great. Only bad things i would say was the guy at the juice bar made a huge fuss when i asked for a juice to be made with a few extra things in it. Spa wasn’t working as there was glass in it, but pool with pool bar was a nice Bali touch. We would defiantly come back next time, and upgrade to a 2 bed room with a bath and never leave!

Room Tip: Love waking up to the ocean? Pick ocean view room, room 1712 on 17th floor had unblocked views.
1 Thank Traveller_Brea
Dear Traveller_Brea,

Happy belated birthday lovely! Sounds like you had a wonderful stay.

Can you believe that someone dropped a glass in the spa! It does happen, and it does take a mammoth clean up job to make 100% sure that it is back and perfect for guests. So sorry that this happened during your birthday stay! Boo.

Also sorry about the snappy juice man! If that was the worst thing that happened in his day, then he was travelling pretty well I think! Makes me wonder what they think when I come up and order an entirely off the menu super juice lol.

Please come and stay with us again, we would love to have you. You sound like a QT kinda girl.

Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Reading a bunch of negative reviews at Tripadvisor we were a little hesitant to book QT Gold Coast. But I am glad we've chosen this hotel for our short stay. Stylish and comfortable interiors, both in the lobby / public area, and the room itself. The room on the top floor had a nice view over a river (opposite side faces the ocean), and there was no noise or anything to disturb us while sleeping. Everything in the room was in good condition.The staff was always friendly and willing to help, any request is handled with lots of smiles. No problems with underground parking, as there always were several vacant spots for your car. We didn't try any in-house meals, so I cannot judge.
Perhaps a little out of the way (but still within a very short walking distance to Surfers city center), the hotel was a pleasant place to stay in every other respect. Unless you aim at the top-of-the-line exclusive accomodations like Palazzo Versaci, QT Gold Coast is very easy to recommend.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank IlMal
sasrowlandsQT, Manager at QT Gold Coast, responded to this review, 29 January 2012
Dear llMal,

Thanks so much for your review. We did have a shocking review week last week! It is such an irregular occurrence for us that we didn't know quite what to think to be honest with you. Luckily, amongst the bad, we did have good reviews, reviews like yours.

These are much more a description of what we feel our property offers than the negative reviews, however we do know that we can sometimes lose track of our day to day workings while we focus on the bug picture of delivering a five star experience that is like no other in Australia.

We are tuning those little bits and pieces as we speak, and aiming to improve everyday to meets the needs of our gorgeous guests.

So glad that you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope that next time you make the trip from Moscow you get to stay with us again.

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 27 January 2012

Very clean , trendy ultra modern , hotel at a great price. Maimi style wanabe hotel bit naf but thats the gold coast ,but you do not get better for the money. The food was brilliant the breakfast and the evening buffet absolutely great choice would rival any good asian hotel. Movies did not work and the computer options are pretty limited and costly but overall great place.

1 Thank MrMark68
Dear MrMark68,

Naff! That's such a great word. I use that word when I am referring to 'jeggings'. I guess the Gold Coast might seem a bit naff at times. We are very much an Eames inspired property, and I don't think I've ever heard his work referred to as naff, but there's a first time for everything, and you used a really fun word so it didn't feel as bad on our end.

Sounds like the hotel itself hit the mark which is fabulous. We have confirmed that our in room movies will be fully operational within the next week, which is a wonderful bit of news. While we don't advertise that we have them at the property, we do know that wet weather really needs a great movie when you are in a hotel, so we are getting this done quickly.

We would love to take care of you again. Please make sure to come again next time you are in town.

Ballarat, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 27 January 2012

For my 30th birthday i wanted a cocktail in a swim up bar and that is why i stayed here.

first... The river view room i was in was oddly opened when i arrived. Found out when i went to leave it was due to the fact the screws where coming out of the door fitting and then broke. I was told i should change rooms. First i was given a room with no balcony and was upset by this. Then they offered a ocean room but said they would charge extra. I said i would stay where i was. They then said no charge. on check out i had to fight to get extra charges taken off.

second... The 2nd room i was in the air con did not work. First night i opened the door to get a breeze and was met with a god awful sound of a vent off a roof below. Figured out door needs to be closed for air con to turn on..... figured i must have left the door slightly open. so closed door and left. Got back to room after dinner and it was hot!! couldnt open door due to rain. called that night and was told someone would come by at 11. fell asleep waiting. At about 130 am it was too hot to sleep and went down to reception which was lovely and cool. they said they couldnt help unless i did a room change. It was late and i was tired and didnt want to have to pack my things. so i asked for a fan which at first was meet with we dont have any!!!! i pushed and he went and found one. gave little help but was better. The next day a guy came to fix the air con (i guess she meant 11 am!! nice work) Awesome as we were packing to leave. the room was lovely after that. told the desk they apologised and that was it.

third... My friend brought me 2 bottles of wine. one i opened on my birthday the other i put in the fridge. When we got back from breakfast the cleaning staff were at our floor. we started packing and i went to get the wine and it was gone. we pulled our bags apart and nothing. It couldnt have walked out on its own. That was my birthday present!!!

fourth... as for my swim up bar plans for my bday..... bar opened before 12 and shut a little while later (which was too early for me to start drinking) and they refused to reopen. instead they said get the bar to deliver drinks to spa. which meant we would have to leave spa.. wet.... and cold and order our drinks each time. not good enough!!

I would like to comment on the fact i paid full price for a half finished hotel (oh an i forgot to mention i had the same problem with the door in my next room but got it fixed before it broke) not a good look when you go to use the laundry and find, on that floor, workers with the floor pulled up and nails and bits everywhere and no signs. went and spoke to staff all of which had no idea that was going on. An elevator with wires and thing hanging from the room kills the feel.

The positives.. SOME of the staff were amazing and very sweet!! Andy is a Legend! (curly haired kid) the restaurant had the wow factor for me. The style is cool and the bed divine.

What i found out since coming home is that my mum emailed the hotel 3 days before my birthday asking if they had a florist or knew of one near by, so she could send me flowers and never got a reply. A little slack considering the staff reply quicker on here.

Over all not impressed but maybe when its done. they need to consider having a maintenance person 24/7 as i had 2 issues at night. Also you should not be charging full price for what is not finished.

would have been nice considering all the issues i had to be offered a complimentary night or a discount.... something!!

ps the toilet wasnt even flushed when i arrived!!

Will be calling hotel to complain.. will let you know what they say.

Room Tip: If ever you want to pay more for a better view? then i would call and ensure you can get a room high...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Carly M
sasrowlandsQT, Manager at QT Gold Coast, responded to this review, 10 February 2012
Hey Carly,

I am so bummed that you came all that way for your birthday and had a crappy time.

We are finishing the last of the renovations now, so this must have been the issue with thew screws. It's doubly crap that your next room had an issue with the same things as well.

Overall, it sounds like we had a shocker and didn't fit the bill of what we needed to offer you for your stay.

I'm not sure if you have called yet, but if you haven't please give me a buzz at the property and we will sort it out for you. Especially the wine! I would be cranky as cranky can be if that happened to me!

Sorry again and hope we can turn it around.

Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed 26 January 2012

I have just spent two nights and the QT and honestly could not fault a thing .The staff were all friendly and attentive and really gave you the feeling that the enjoyed their jobs. Our King Suite was lovely and had the most comfortable bed I think I've ever slept in !! We ate at Bazaar the first night and it completely lives up to all the great reviews it's already earned on this site.
Stingray lunch was also excellent as was room service Pizza. A great and really relaxing experience, I will not allow anyone I know to stay anywhere else on the Gold Coast !

2 Thank Susan M
sasrowlandsQT, Manager at QT Gold Coast, responded to this review, 27 January 2012
Dear SusanM,

After a couple of challenging reviews over the last week, this is exactly what we needed to lift up our spirits again.

We would love to take care of yourself and your friends and family. You sound delightful.

Thanks so much for taking the time to give us your feedback. We really appreciate it and I can't wait to pass it on to the team.

With care,

Washington DC
Reviewed 26 January 2012

We just returned from 3 nights at the QT in a King Suite which was perfect for our family of 3. Our 2 yr old was most welcome and overall the hotel was kid friendly without being geared at all to children. Friendly albeit young staff most eager to please. Gorgeous views from our room which we spent a lot of time in due to 3 days of rain. Bazaar restaurant breakfast was terrific and dinner was good although not sure I'd eat there if not included. Overall loved it. Would return.

• Stayed January 2012
Dear allswag,

6 reviews and 17 helpful votes! That's a fantastic average and we are suitable chuffed that we made the grade.

So happy to have been able to please your little one as well. We have been wondering how everyone in house with littlies are doing with all this rain. We hope you get to come back again to see the sunny side of the coast. Long way from DC though!

I will pass on your nice words to the Bazaar guys. The staff and chefs really do make that an experience to remember.

We would love to see you again soon.