“We Loved Our Stay - Thank You QT”
Review of QT Gold Coast

QT Gold Coast
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Gold Coast, Australia
“We Loved Our Stay - Thank You QT”
Reviewed 12 February 2012

My partner and I were given a voucher for Xmas from our kids for 1 nights accommodation buffet dinner and buffet brekky they booked for 11th February which was also my birthday weekend
I will start at the beginning smooth check in 18th floor hinterland view.... wasn't told which room were in but was written on the card this is the only negative that we have about this hotel
Loved the funky rooms and decor and I don't think at all that that anything was tacky in this hotel....Our buffet dinner was absolutely superb starting from the seafood hot and cold meats
prawn dumplings yummo and the sweets which was on a wooden board didn't look like anything but just loved the popping candy..Mark was the floor manager and he explained everything to us in detail and how it all worked...Angela was our waitress for the night and she was fantastic and filled my icebowl without me asking (that's for my chardy) job well done also I loved the idea that you could get a wine carafe of 500 mls....went to the stingray bar to check it out.... it was pumping (our kids go there)but we decided no it was 10 deep at the bar so we toddled up to our room
so glad we did cos we were up nice and early for our brekky and we were greeted by Laurie
who was just so bubbly and our breakfast was the best we have ever had and yes we too have travelled all around the world and I don't review if I feel they don't deserve it (not into negative reviews).
We met Franca on the 18th floor she was cleaning the rooms and she was very animated and very friendly...Thanks Franca and all the best...had a swim in the pool after we had been down to the beach and knew it was time to go and check out...boo hoo we only live 10mins away but we didn't want to leave we wanted to have lunch in the buffet and go and listed to some music in the stingray bar...but all good things must come to an end.....the checkout was fantastic and we met Kim I just loved her hair....we will definitely be back for staying and for eating...We live on the Gold Coast and sometimes you just don't appreciate what's in your own back yard...Thank You once again QT you made my birthday and I firmly believe you get what you give ps we loved our beds and pillows where can we get the pillows from? also how fantastic to have a hair dryer that is not stuck to the wall (remington so cute)

Room Tip: Will book ocean view next time
1 Thank LisaandDarren1997
sasrowlandsQT, Manager at QT Gold Coast, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Dear LisaandDarren,

What a pair of happy little vegemites you are! You loves your stay from the dumplings to the decor and everything in between.

It's wonderful that we gave you a great place to host your birthday! I absolutely love the remington hairdryer too. The designs on them are so cute (trust me to pick out the most girly thing on your post to identify with lol).

Completely agree with the bar. It is crazy busy and it's fun that your kids are also QT lovers! Stingray really is a local hot spot and it's always pumping.

Knowing that you are in our backyard we hope that you will come back again soonest. Send me an email (I'll inbox you my email) and let me know when your bday is because we would love to have you back next year,

QT

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (771)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 11 February 2012

l am a new tripadvisor reviewer, yet l have used the website for years reading reviews and weighing up my options! All l can honestly say is lv been angered beyond my sanity and lv decided to write a review based on the managers comments to the last reviewer. For a romantic weekend away l decieded to stay at Qt with my partner and what a horrid experience it was. We are both from Melbourne, and work in the arts so when we looked at Qt website we assumed we would have an enjoyable stay. How wrong we were. Firstly NO LEMONs for the lemonade, which sounds petty yet why advertise something that you can't follow up on. Secondly checking in was a mission with one girl on reception and many more staff floating about yet not wanting to help in any way. All l can say is this hotel is too cool for school yet you have missed the mark beyond words. This place tries too hard and stinks of pretension. Don't be a fool and fall into it like we did. l have stayed at many hotels from backpacker to 5* and this almost rates like one of the 2* l stayed at years ago. Truly bad customer service and a horrible place to stay, the bar and restaurant is overrated also.. Ahhh lm sorry angry. So disappointing. Don't bother..you can find many other hotels around the area. P.s l think it's time for a new manager.. Owner take note. Your staff are rubbish, just a bunch a cabbages trying to look cool.

9 Thank Hugh Y
Dear hugh Y,

Thanks for taking the time to give us your review. Did sound like the place really wasn't your cup of tea. We seem to really hit the mark sometimes, and then really disappoint at others!

Every review is a great chance for us to grow, so we will take all your notes under advisement and work through your points to make sure we are aware of any changes we can make to make it a better experience for our guests.

Our GM is a fantastic guy and comes from a really strong hotel background who has seen this place through an enormous change from the much loved Gold Coast International to the new QT Gold Coast property so I think that comment may have been a bit rough. I understand though given how disappointed you were in your stay.

Would be great if you tried us again in a while so we can have another chance to impress you. Thanks again for giving us the time to help us improve our business. We appreciate it.

AUSTRALIA
Reviewed 11 February 2012

My partner and l travel quite a lot ( roughly every 3-4 months, and usually overseas) but as a surprise, my partner decied to book Qt for a valentines weekend! Well what a nightmare this place is... We are still here but are looking to change hotels today as soon as possible. If l wanted to sleep in a room with paper walls we would of booked hotel in Japan.. Firstly lm not a prude but listening to people having sex all night is not my ideal, nor is listening to the drunken yobbos screaming outside the hotel once the pretentious nightclub closes. We like to travel in style but this hotel is all a.. with no class. Also lm shocked at the state of room ripped Doona cover, hair in sink and what looks like old blood stains on sheets. The interior of hotel is lovely but the outside looks like a 1970s dump. Also we were lucky to only be traveling from Melbourne, but l honestly was in shock at the lack of staff. We waited in a line for over 20 mins to check in, with only one person at desk, while other staff were swanning around drinking coffees ignoring eye contact and heading into their safe little staff room. What a joke. Also on the Saturday my partner and l went down to check out the stingray bar.. Hahaha another joke.. My partner who was decked out in zenga and Ben Sherman got rejected due to having shorts on. Yet people in Ed hardy and roger David suits were giving the red carpet service. You may think we bitter, but honestly after seeing the crowd heading in there we actually didn't give a stuff, so if you, like us are choosing to stay at this hotel because of write ups you will be severely disappointed. Oh as for the lemonade when checking in... Um... We are still waiting. Rotten horrid fowl place this is. Check my reviews... Iv never written a bad one.. But this is it, and lm trying to be semi nice..

Room Tip: Dont believe the hype.. Horrible at best.
11 Thank SORTIEJADE
sasrowlandsQT, Manager at QT Gold Coast, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
Hi shortiejade,

We trust that after reconciling everything with you in house the stay ended on a good note.

Staff said that you were cheerful upon departure.

Hope to see you again.

Sydney
Reviewed 10 February 2012

We booked into the QT Hotel as we were visiting for Christmas and needed some down time from the relatives :) a special for the QT was available and we figured we would only sleep there so ...

The room: has been (almost) completely refurbished except for the balcony doors and a mirror. Unfortunately, the lack of double glazing is apparent as the screams of thrill seekers on the bungee jump next door was audible til all hours. The bed was amazingly comfortable and the bathroom very functional.

Worth special note was the welcome 'DIY' lemonade in the room. This was a great touch, and it was delicious! Perhaps the hunky waiter that bought the lemons lemons to the room had something to do with it???

Breakfast - our discounted rate did not include breakfast, and I am a food industry veteran so would not normally bother with a buffet, but I wanted to have a look at what was on offer. I am SO glad I did! The 'market' style breakfast was reminiscent (dare I say copied?) of W Hong Kong. The food assortments on offer were wide and varied, and plenty of great touches ... home made jams, freshly squeezed juices and breakfast smoothies. There was an omelette station, fresh breads and the like ... one of the best breakfasts I have ever had at a hotel in Australia (only Qualia stands out as better). A real treat.

We were about to leave the hotel when a massive downpour commenced, so decided to take a light snack in the bar ... amazing spicy wings, onion rings, and miniature burgers. The burgers were average but the rest was fantastic.

The only other comment is on the staff - I don't know where they have sourced their staff, or how they train them, but it is SO different to any other AHL property. Normally, Rydges are such a disappointment, especially the staff, but here they are (mostly) all top notch. Special mention to the spa manager (whose name I have forgotten) ... she is a true hospitality professional.

The location is a bit iffy .... but I will definitely return!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Gold Coast
Reviewed 10 February 2012

I am a local and have always wanted to stay at QT, so after reading a few good and bad reviews on here I decided I would stay with my partner. The service of the porters was disgusting, they ignored me as I dragged my bags into the lobby myself and then up to my room. But at least they looked cool right? I had several encounters with staff from different areas of the hotel and they were mostly bad. I actually felt like I was an inconvenience, not a valued guest. On a positive note, one staff member stuck out like a sore thumb as his service was excellent, very friendly and polite. I think he was the head porter or concierge, he had short dark hair and was quite tall, so thank you to him. The rooms are lovely and bright and clean. The bed is great, really comfortable. There was some 'make your own lemonade' in our room when we checked in, which would have been delicious if there were lemons and soda water to go with the sugar syrup. After calling down to reception and waiting half an hour we gave up and went out. The decor of the lobby and hallways are bright, fresh and modern but in some areas they have gone too far and it looks a bit cheap and tacky.

I wasn't going to write a review of my stay in late January, but after reading Sas Rowlands replies to the negative feed back I have changed my mind. Sas, surely you don't expect us to believe that every negative review on here is a blatant lie that we have just made up about your hotel. I agree with a lot of the negative reviews as I experienced different aspects of them myself when I stayed, so know them to be true. The 'we are too cool to serve our guests' culture of your hotel is evident both in your replies and the attitude of your staff when I stayed. We are your guests, it is because of us you even have a job. A polite, respectful, truthful answer to negative reviews will get you a lot further than lying about our comments and dismissing them as false.

Sas is letting the whole QT team down by replying to these reviews in such a disrespectful manner. I will never stay here again, and I will be telling everyone I know not to stay here. In a word the entire experience was unprofessional.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
20 Thank BonnieL870
sasrowlandsQT, Manager at QT Gold Coast, responded to this review, 10 February 2012
Dear BonnieL870,

Lol. That's more of a review on me than the hotel, but I'll give it a go!

These are hotels, and I am responding to people that we can't connect with on any level to find out if they even stayed with us. We need to be a bit lighthearted when the person reviewing directly under you had the time of his life at the hotel! You have to understand how crazy difficult it is on this site!

I was scouring the reviews to find our where I am going wrong, and the last negative comments responses were:

'The movies are being sorted out as we speak, and the fridge is little - this is true!'

'Also sorry about the snappy juice man!'

'- No pen (just a pencil that doesn’t seem to work on anything?) The white pencil writes on our notepads, which are black and sit with the pencil.
- No ice anywhere - We bring fresh ice up to your room, rather than have ice machines as this is a much more health conscious approach.
- No vending machine and the coffee shop closes early - The bar serves coffee and opens from 12 - 12.
- No tissues anywhere in the room - Tissues are in the bathroom. Very sorry you missed out. This could be remedied by giving reception a buzz.
- No newspapers available for sale or delivery (only for the café I was told?) - Free papers in the cafe for all guests along with a great selection of boutique designer magazines.
- Booking a room for 3 people yet only 2 of everything in the room – glassware, coffee cups etc. - A quick call to reception or in room dining will sort this out for you.'

'We are tuning those little bits and pieces as we speak, and aiming to improve everyday to meets the needs of our gorgeous guests. '

Try not to freak out about it Bonnie or to attach too much emotion to it. It's just a website for hotel reviews :) We do respond to every review, and we do say sorry when somethings up. I think your review is a great example of why this site is so tricky!

Macleay Island, Australia
Reviewed 9 February 2012

The new QT is great value! It is the old Gold Coast International building that has been totally redesigned to a modern retro look. It's all new, really friendly staff and great rooms. The QT is only 5 minutes walk to the centre of Surfers, but just far enough away from the hustle and bustle. The pool is small compared to other resort hotels, buy the beach is only one minute's walk from the foyer. The rooms are large, and nicely appointed, with either ocean or mountain and estuary views. They have a new, very popular bar in the foyer - the Stingray bar. It really goes off on Friday and Saturday nights, but we didn't hear any noise from our room on the 11th floor. This is one of the very few Gold Coast hotels that offer 1 night accomodation. The online rate was $169 per night but I paid only $149 by becoming a priority member with Rydges (no fee). Many of the other hotels around this price on the coast are OLD and demand minimum 3 night stays. Enjoy!

Room Tip: The ocean front rooms have the best views
Hey TonyW,

We love that you loved us! We are really getting an education on our guests though this site and it is like gold to us.

Stingray is for sure the place to be on the coast on Fridays and Saturdays, and we do have one night stays because sometimes we get people who trek to us just to party for the night!

Please come and stay with us again because you sound whizz bang!

Gold Coast
Reviewed 8 February 2012

There's a real vision behind the overall style of this funky retro inspired (renovated) hotel. The breakfast buffet was AWESOME, one of the best I've ever had (and i've been all over the world). The rooms are fresh, and the staff are very helpful. One thing I would say is 'Stingray' the lobby bar was way too busy on the Saturday, fun bar but when you can't even walk around due to the crowd it's gets annoying.

Room Tip: Ocean View Rooms (we were on the 18th floor) have great views and are worth the $30 more.
Dear BobbyW,

Thanks so much for your review. After all the effort that went into the renovation, it's always a real pleasure when people have enjoyed the new look and feel of the place.

I agree with you totally on the upgrade too. The views of the beach the higher you go up in the hotel are spectacular. I'm not a Gold Coast local, and I love being able to take in the coast line when I get the chance from one of the balconies.

With Stingray, I also agree. The bar is absolutely flat out on Fridays and Saturdays, and while some people love the really amped up club feel, I much prefer it during the week when it is a chilled out space and is much quieter. I see that you are from the GC and if you wanted to check it out when it is quieter, they have Sunday Sessions in the afternoon that have a much more relaxed vibe which I find really fun.

We would love to take care of you again so please come back.