“Funky little hotel w everything!”
Review of QT Gold Coast

QT Gold Coast
Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
“Funky little hotel w everything!”
Reviewed 22 April 2012

The rooms, food, cocktails and service are all great. They have really thought of everything. My only negative would be the pool is very small and finding a sun lounge free is very difficult. Would stay here time and time again.

• Stayed April 2012
sasrowlandsQT, Manager at QT Gold Coast, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Dear ALeigh07,

Thanks so much!

I've now noted this sun lounger issue a few times on here, and we are trying to figure out a way to squeeze more loungers onto the deck without people feeling like they are baking on someone elses lap. We've got these enormous cabanas (private lounging areas) by the pool that take up quite a bit of space, and we've thought about removing them in favour of more chairs, but people just love them so much! We'll keep working on it. I promise!

There is nothing better than cocktails by the pool when you are on holidays. I look out there sometimes and wonder if people from work would notice if I brought my cozzies and just slipped out for an hour at lunchtime! Well, if they weren't going to cotton onto it before, they certainly would after reading this, so there goes that idea!

We would love to see you back soonest.

QT

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (766)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I heard mixed reviews about this place but decided to go for it during the Easter holidays. The rooms were ready even though we reached before the check-in time. However, the room had a few issues - ac not working, bathroom door not shutting properly. We informed the front desk and went out for some sight seeing. As soon as we got back, we were shifted to another room which was much better. From that point onwards, the pleasantness of the stay kept going upwards.
The staff at QT is absolutely brilliant in everything they do and provide. They are helpful and bring out the character of the place. The rooms were bright and comfortable. The breakfast at Bazaar was something we looked forward to every day. We tried dinner one night and it was an interesting experience. The Sting Ray bar was pretty good.
I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a good time. It is well placed in Sufers Paradise with the proximity to the beach. I would consider it as my first option for my next trip to Gold Coast. Thanks QT!

Room Tip: Rooms are well placed and very comfortable. The ocean side views provide great views but the mountai...
Dear deepsat,

Sounds like you had a perfect stay (apart from the hiccup with the rooms). Sometimes when the weather is hot, and those little air conditioning units have been working themselves to the bone they just give up! So sorry that you had one in your room. It doesn't happen very often, but it is a real pain when it does.

It's wonderful that the staff took great care of you, and I will pass that on. We are really getting into the groove now and it seems like we've got it to a well oiled machine stage! What a relief! TripAdvisor is a much more fun place for me now :)

Florida
Reviewed 21 April 2012

The rooms were quirky as you may expect, a little bit bordering on naff. They brought us up fresh lemonade which was a lovely service. The rooms had quirky knick knacks all of which were for sale. They even had the cost for the cutlery listed. It was a bit off putting as was the notice that we could expect a workman to be on our balcony at 6 the next morning as they were painting the outside of the hotel! I have given the sleep quality poor on the basis that if a workman had been working on my balcony, it would not have been welcomed at 6 in the morning, or anytime.

Dear kezza17june,

Naff! I love that word, and it's the second time someone has called the hotel 'naff'. I'm wondering if it's a synonym for 'Eames' lol. Such a great word.

Oh gross! So sorry about the workman. 6am is no time in a ladies life to be woken by a workman (no matter how cute he is!).

We sell all the bits and pieces in the rooms because we get so many requests for them that we aren't able to keep enough stock on hand for the guests. This way we can take orders and get them to you post stay if we don't have them. Also it means our gift shop QTique gets to stock different ranges from the in room designers so if you love the style of the cockatoo lamp, but would prefer a bulldog, you can hop on down and grab one.

Once again, so sorry about the workman on your balcony. Thank goodness we only need to paint the outside once every decade!

Brisbane
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We decided to eat at the Bazaar restaurant whilst staying for a short hotel break. As it was the period between Christmas and New Year it was understandably busy so we booked a table. Upon arrival the waiter guided us to a table, then as we were about to sit the manager suggested this was not correct and suggested we sit at another table, unfortunately it was not convenient as we had two young children and the bar stools and bar table inconvenient. After some to and fro we eventually just picked a table and sat down. We ordered wine and received an incorrect bottle, which we realised after the waiter had left. Wasn't too much a problem as it was also a nice wine. We had eaten here before and had high expectations of the food which was excellent, however, we were on the understanding that the menu changed frequently and as we had stayed there approximately three months earlier we expected a different menu and slightly disappointed to find this was not the case. The restaurant was very dark, and we felt it could have been a bit lighter in order to see what we were eating.

We had a newly renovated room and on the morning we left, as I was taking a shower, the light covering running along the edge of the shower fell out and hit my head. Not enough to create too much damage, but enough to leave me with a nasty headache for the rest of the day. When we checked out we notified the staff and they thanked us for letting them know.

The overall experience was fine. We are Rydges Platinum PriorityGUEST card holders, so maybe our expectations were too high on this occasion. The staff are young, trendy and very vain, which fits with the look and feel the hotel is trying to create, however, we felt that the staff on duty were not capable of coping when the hotel was at full capacity and they may need to be trained to better deal with busy periods, and understand that when it is busy, coolness doesn't count.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Dear jaqui0,

Thanks so much for taking the time to let us know about your stay Jaqui. It sounds like there were a few parts of your experience that could have been better presented, and as you mentioned this would almost certainly be due to the new team having their first peak season.

I'm seeing a great trend on here of positive responses to the staff over the last month or so, so I am hoping that we are now beginning to hit our straps in terms of the staffing. I'll keep a very careful eye on it, and make sure that the positive trend continues, and if not we will get straight onto addressing any points of need.

We would love to see you again now that the hotel is completely renovated. I'm so sorry about the light fitting! Good grief. That is just not on. I hope that we were sincerely apologetic and that this never happens to a guests again.

Best,

Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 19 April 2012

The only thing I could fault about this place was the one snobby chick who checked us in, otherwise the place was faultless. We joined the club and got the room for a cracker price. The breakfast was to die for! The hotel has good restaurants and bar within the hotel so you don't need to venture far for a good night out. This place is excellent.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Dear Kattherat,

There are a few girls on the reception desk. They all look quite similar (super tall, super lean, super cute), so I would have trouble knowing who it was even if you described them to me! Sorry that she was snobby though. I'm so short that they are always looking down their noses to talk to me so I hope it's a height thing!

Another Bazaar breakfast shout out! Let's hear it for Rupert and his team of wonder waiters! Love that place.

It's fabulous that you loved the rest of your stay. We hope you will stay with us again next time you are in town.

Lismore
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Hubby and I just got back from 2 nights at the QT. We have been fortunate enough to have stayed with them four times in the last 15 months and we have loved it every time! The new 50's decor is gorgeous and sooo inviting. I really love it!
The staff are the best! All of the staff from housekeeping to reception, food & bev, concierge, and the therapists in the gorgeous new day spa - all of these staff members have been so friendly and helpful - their service and attitude is second to none. We're going back in October, cant wait!
ps
I just love the complimentary " make yourself homemade lemonade" on arrival...mmm

Room Tip: Ocean view is nice but so is the moountain/river view.....I think the mountain/river view is probab...
Dear GeorgieGirl73,

You are a QT mega VIP! Four times! You would have been watching the transformation as closely as I did! Isn't she a darling now? So beautiful.

I agree completely on the mountain view. I think that people who live in regional areas or who are from overseas love the beach view, but I just adore the look of the mountains and the city lights at night time on the balcony, with a cheeky vodka and some spicy buffalo wings from Stingray (yes, I have done that FAR too many times!).

Please come again soon.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We enjoyed our stay at the QT recently (14-16 Apr). Staff were very friendly & helpful & the hotel was beautiful. Loved the retro funkiness of it all (staff 'uniform' & decor). Whilst it was a good experience all round, I would recommend checking your bill upon check out. Glad to have read a previous reviewer mention this. They charged us twice for the breakfast - but since I checked the bill, it was rectified on the spot. Our overall experience was a positive one, and I would stay here again when visiting the Gold Coast. Close to the shops & undercover parking was affordable @ $8/day. (P.S. Would be good if this cost is stated somewhere on the hotel's website.)

Room Tip: Be better to get a higher level. Got Level 6 and could hear the loud music from the bar on the Satur...
Dear 10Ellie_G,

Thanks so much for your review. Awesome that you picked up the double breakfast charge. I'm wondering if they had you booked in for bed and breakfast each night on a package rate? I'll get the guys in reservations to keep a close eye on this because it's the second time this has popped up.

Awesome that enjoyed the rest of your stay. I'll also see if I can get the parking price listed on the website. I agree that this is a must have to make sure people can budget for their stay.

Thanks again and we hope to see you again soonest,