“Good hotel- except for the concierge”
Review of QT Gold Coast

QT Gold Coast
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Reviewed 14 December 2012

Loved the funky modern decor and the unusual staff uniforms. The teppanyaki in the Japanese restaurant (Yamagen) was top class; the bar (Stingray) was funky and the waitress's orange dresses were very 'Gold Coast'. The buffet breakfast was nice (although I found it very odd there was no muesli). Check in was pleasant and efficient, and the room was clean and quiet, so generally pretty good overall - except for housekeeping and the concierge I'm afraid. Housekeeping removed the facewasher after the first day and didn't replace it- nor were the shampoo and conditioner supplies replenished. It took us 2 days to realise that the circular desk with the casually-dressed people behind it were the concierge staff. Then when we asked for help they had very little to offer, frankly. They had no brochures on local attractions and nothing much to offer in the way of the suggestions. The suggestion of a show might have been attractive to someone half our age but not us (professionals in our early 50s). They also seemed to have little idea where we might find a good restaurant for dinner. They were very pleasant and friendly, but very young and seemed to have few of the skills which I would see as required for a concierge. The ipads (which are presumably meant to be a groovy modern substitute for old-fashioned brochures) were mostly inoperative when we were there (due to flat batteries)- so a good idea which they couldn't quite pull off (perhaps the concierge staff could have kept an eye on this and re-charged them!). Then when we got held up and had to ask for our luggage to be put in a cab to meet us at the airport, I was told I absolutely had to make arrangements with the cab company direct and pay up front, which turned out not to be correct. Everything came together in the end- but that was thanks to the cab company- not to any assistance from the concierge.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business

Reviewed 14 December 2012 via mobile

Chose this randomly and what a find. Doesn't look great from outside but inside very different, bright and chirpy. Most comfortable night sleep in ages and I didn't want to leave! Swimming pool good. Easy walk to Gold Coast cbd. Will be back.

Reviewed 14 December 2012

Boy were we blown away when we arrived at this hotel!
I read the great reviews on TripAdvisor and chose the QT over the Hilton. I was a little worried its a bit of a walk from central Surfers Paradise but it doesn't matter at all. It is only one block from a lifeguarded beach which is much less crowded than the section nearer Cavill Ave.
On our arrival we were greeted by all staff that we passed by. The staff are decked out in brightly coloured uniforms. The whole place seems to have that "Virgin" feel when Virgin was young and cool. The decor is very trendy yet all furniture is comfortable. If you really enjoy the room's decor, there is a price list for many items, like lamps, glassware, towels, thongs. You can purchase these things in the store in the hotel lobby. And the towels! They were so soft and fluffy! So often hotels have thin or scratchy towels, even 5 star hotels. Not this place - maybe because they don't rent the towels from those hotel laundry places?
There seems to be a dedicated greeter / reception supervisor. She is always on the lookout for someone coming through the lobby and helping them with anything they need.
Our room was on the 16th floor with river views. The lifts are speedy so rooms on higher floors won't have a long wait. The room contained 2 queen size beds, and we were brought complimentary homemade lemonade after arrival. It truly is "homemade" because you make it yourself!
The Stingray bar seemed to be the hottest place in town on both Friday and Saturday nights. Much better than the usual Surfers Paradise bar full of backpackers and teenagers. There may be noise for those on lower floors but we definitely had no noise problems on 16th floor.
I would not hesitate to stay here again, and to top it off the price is fantastic!

Room Tip: Higher floors will have better views. If you want a balcony avoid level 21 or 22 as they don't h...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 December 2012

Where we stay when in Paradise. Great ocean views from the higher floors, chic welcome from a predominantly young staff, good Japanese food in Yamagen, and a beaut bar in Stingray. A spacious foyer and a pool add to the graciousness of this property which is in walking distance of the surf and the city proper.

Room Tip: Ask for a high ocean view
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2012

Great modern funky design. The check in was fast. The room is very nice, large, clean, with great bathroom and a small balcony. They have a Nespresso machine in the room also. The location is good, close to the attraction yet not noisy. The staff is amazing, very helpful and do what ever to make your stay better. The helped me planning alot of things and saved me some money also.

One thing I didnt like was they dont put a bottle of water in your room for free (which almost all hotels do) you have to pay for it which is not a problem for me but usually there is a complementary water in the room.

I will diffidently stay there again and I recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Hietham
Reviewed 11 December 2012 via mobile

Would like to say a huge Thankyou to all the staff at the QT Gold Coast. I am on my second last day for my stay here for my 25th and my engagement celebration and I can not flaw a single thing. It is above and beyond anything I could have imagined. That's why I could not wait until I got home to write this. The food, spa treatments and hotel amenities are 5 star+. It has made this special time very memorial and I will be returning the first chance I get!

Tips- The 21st floor ocean view room is amazing.

The food here is amazing. Both in Bizzar and Stingray- Make sure you get breakfast included. You won't be disappointed.

SparQ treatments are also fantastic..something special for a holiday.

Reviewed 11 December 2012 via mobile

Arrived after 2pm checkin and told sorry no room ready! Only here for 1 night needing check out early so weekend stuffed! Always had good experiences here and been happy to say so but this has been a disappointment. To make matters worse we had out of date chips in mini bar! No excuse for an international standard Hotel. We will be back, in fact this week again. Like a lot of Hotels service starts out first class but over time declines. I really hope this does not continue at the QT as we have made this our only place to stay when on the Coast.