“Good Surfers Paradise Option”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of QT Gold Coast

QT Gold Coast
Ranked #4 of 32 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
MLDH36D
“Good Surfers Paradise Option”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013

We had a good one night stay in an ocean floor room up on floor 17.

Positives:
- Sensible price, further discount available if you join their rewards program (it's free)
- Stingray bar, good vibe, good drinks and only a short stumble to the elevator
- Bazaar, a unique dining experience, makes sure you ask lots of questions otherwise you will get very confused
- Well stock gym

Negatives:
- Everything in room you have to pay for and I couldn't help feeling attempts were being made to trick you using things, e.g. the plastic bottles of mineral water on the bedside tables (included on minibar price list), postcards left scattered across the desk , nespresso coffee pods.
- Building works outside at the moment

I would definitely stay there again, compared to other Surfers options its great.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Gold Coast, responded to this review, 16 March 2013
HI MLD36D,

Thanks for a really comprehensive and even handed review. We are really happy that you got to enjoy the bazaar experience while you were in the hotel. It really is something to behold. So much amazing food, and so fresh.

Thanks also for the note on the price. We think that it is wonderful value for the offering.

We look forward to seeing you when you are next in town.

QT

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (748)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Travelling Aussie
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2013

I spent a couple of nights at QT in February 2013, and really enjoyed it. The rooms were very well appointed and spacious enough. The Japanese restaurant was brilliant, as was the selection for breakfast in the morning (loved the breakfast).

It's not too close to the main Surfers strip, but that is fine.

I'll be back for sure!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank BensAdventures
Hey BensAdventures,

Sounds like you have a very fun life, and we love that a Senior Contributor has had such a great time at the hotel and has taken the time to share it with both us and the wider traveller community. It is really awesome!

Yamagen (our Japanese option is a really remarkable restaurant. It is a very authentic experience, right in the heart of the Gold Coast. It is a real pleasure to eat here.

Ballandean, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2013

I recently had my third stay at the QT and, as much as I love the decor and the wonderful, friendly staff, I have to say I'm disappointed that we experienced yet another 'glitch' this time.

As part of my birthday celebrations, we booked two ocean view rooms (2 king) online and received our email confirmations for those rooms. Later we booked two more ocean view rooms so some more friends could join us (1 king, 1 queen twin) but we received confirmation of three rooms. We now had five confirmation emails and numbers for four rooms.
On phoning and explaining that we had received three confirmations for two rooms, a polite staff member looked our booking up on the computer, confirmed the error and said she would delete the third booking.All sorted we thought.

Upon my arrival, we went to check-in to the first two rooms, our other friends were arriving later, and were given 1 king and 1 queen twin, both ocean view. When I queried this I was told that it was all they had booked in my name. I assumed our other guests had arrived early and there'd been a mix up...then they arrived! We were told there were only two rooms booked in my name and that the hotel was booked out.

Whilst the duty manager was very polite she seemed reluctant to admit that the hotel had messed up our bookings. It appears that after the telephone conversation about confirmations for three rooms instead of two someone decided that we only needed two rooms in total and cancelled my orignal booking without checking with me first. It was suggested that our friends could stay nearby at the Marriott (almost twice the price) and still join us for dinner. After applying a lot of pressure the duty manager was able to find one queen twin room for the two couples. As they weren't keen to share a room the duty manager said she'd see if she had another cancellation and, if not, offered to pay for their dinner and they could drive back to Brisbane afterwards, which is what they chose to do in the end. When my husband went to pay our bill on checkout he had to enter into some hefty discussions over what we were charged, despite the promises of the night before.

We had a lovely night - cocktails at Stingray, dinner at Bazaar, after dinner drinks at Stingray - but what a shame these guys can't get this bit right. Each time I have stayed at QT there has been some kind of glitch that should never have happened and it appears to always involve reception/billing.

Hi ozyvette,

Oh no! Our first negative review in ages, What a bummer. I am so very sorry that these mix ups happened with your booking. There is absolutely no excuse for it, so all I can say is that we will improve on this, and that it is not a regular occurrence at the hotel.

We would love to take care of you again, and hopefully with a better all round result.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2013

Stayed for one night in this hotel with my husband, daughter and son inlaw, great hotel, fantastic location, rooms are clean and well stocked, bed very comfortable, just how I like it! View was ok, we were only on the forth floor but still a good view of the beach. Hotel was easy to find as it's just off the main drag and check in and parking were fuss free. We walked to a seafood restaurant for dinner and then back to the hotel because it was a beautiful night. In the morning (sunday) we went to breakfast in the hotel restaurant and this is my only gripe, there was more than enough to choose from as the buffet was huge, you could want for nothing....except a plate! we waited between 5 and 10 minutes for the plates to come out of the washer, the staff were very apologetic and eventually we were fed, apart from this glitch, I'd highly recommend this hotel and would definitely return again

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Hey phillip_stjames,

All the way from the UK! Too fun! And you loved it. Even more fun.

Thanks for all the wonderful notes on the service and dining options at the hotel. I am so sorry that you had to wait for plates! We must have been having an extra special busy night. I know we are regularly booked out in Bazaar and we must have had a lot of people using a lot of plates that night.

It really is an awesome location. Five minutes walk into Surfers Paradise, and just far away enough that you are off the main drag.

We hope to see you again next time you are in Aus.

Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2013

Loved it ! I attended a conference and stayed a little while longer with my fiance. Staff couldnt do enough, we loved the beautiful, recent, modern but retro fitout. Either a view of the hills or the beach, both great ( obviously the higher the better :) Booking online offers a good discount. Tried both the restaurants and despite never normally EVER frequenting pricey hotel restaurants I can absolutely recommend. I also normally dislike buffet being from FIFO but this one was A1. Location is nice a little north of the Surfers chaos. Concierges ( in their nifty 70's beach wear) helped us with our plans. The room was spacious and very clean and new. I didnt like the price tags on everything but I guess they have to do that ! Lots of conveniences nearby.

Room Tip: Something at the top either direction, moe ikley to get a top rrom if you opt to face the mountains
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Hi ozziwanderer,

Ah what a wonderful review. It is great to hear that we are having such a fantastic result in both our conferencing and accommodation offerings.

Thanks so much for letting us know that you enjoyed the dining options at the hotel. The bazaar Marketplace has really reinvented how people feeling about hotel dining. It really is a standalone restaurant and offers such a high quality of food.

We make sure there are price tags on everything so people know that they can take them home with them when they go. We had so many enquiries for all of the bits and pieces in the rooms that we wanted to make sure that people felt comfy taking them home.

I hope that we get to see you again soon!
Biloela
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

I recently attended a conference that was in this hotel. I stayed on site for convenience. The contact I had with the hotel even prior to my arrival was extremely professional. In particular the concierge staff were exceptionally helpful in arranging transfers for me and once on site very willingly meeting any of my requests. Kat and Steph in particular were amazing. The room was very comfortable with lovely big windows.
I would describe the hotel decor as funky urban which is usually not my cup of tea but the service from the staff was as good as or better than any hotel I have stayed in any where in the world. Even my specific catering requests at the conference were managed beautifully.
On service alone I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Hi BiloelaBoo,

Yay! Another awesome conference feedback with a bunch of great wins for the hotel.

I am glad that you got to enjoy the designer hotel look and feel and found out that it really is your cup of tea. It is sun a fun and vibrant aesthetic.

I hope you get to visit us again soon.

Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights (Fri, Sat & Sun) in late February 2013. The hotel is located about a 5 - 10 minute walk north of the main 'tourist' section of Surfers.

There was a terrific package offered by the hotel which included a buffet breakfast for 2 each morning, one dinner in the hotel restaurant (Bazaar) and $50 drinks credit at the hotel bar (Stingray).

As soon as we walked inside we were impressed. This place oozes class and we loved the retro 50s/60s theme. Great staff uniforms too!

The room was a decent size, light & airy with a balcony looking towards the mountains (i.e. the "non-ocean" view), which was pleasant. EXTREMELY comfortable bed!

The buffet breakfast was amazing. I've had "buffets" at other hotels and none come close to this one.

Dinner at Bazaar was something else - it was a buffet but on a scale like we have never seen before. Wood-fired pizza made to order (with any ingredients you could want) and brought to your table, seafood, fresh dumplings, steak cooked to order and a vast selection of salads etc.

The only area for improvement we could suggest was better service by the staff at Stingray during the evening - we were the only people at the bar yet it seemed to take an eternity to get served, and the first staff member said she was new and couldn't make our cocktails anyway? However during the day we had a great experience with the Stingray staff, who offered us complimentary salsa & corn chips.

Do yourself a favour and stay here - you won't regret it!