“Staff are rude!”

QT Gold Coast
Ranked #4 of 32 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
“Staff are rude!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

I stayed at your hotel on the 27th hotel and I got kicked off 2 floors!! On level 2 I was sitting on a chair waiting for a friend for about 10 minutes and a staff member came up to me and told me to go away and sit somewhere else! I was very annoyed by this! I never saw anything that said "NO SITTING ON CHAIRS"

I also wanted to look around the hotel and see what the views were like so I went to the lift and pressed level 22 which is the top level in the hotel, as soon as I got on that level a security person said I was on the wrong level. All I wanted to do was see the view and look out... Then the next day I tried to go up and and see the lookout again I got kicked out by the cleaners saying they would kick me out of the hotel!
It was not a very pleasant stay for my girlfriend and me. Very disappointing.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Kookie021
sasrowlandsQT, Director Social Media at QT Gold Coast, responded to this review, 18 January 2014
Hi Kookie021,

While I understand that this has upset you, the hotel has at no point done anything wrong. You were in areas of the hotel that you were not supposed to be in repeatedly, and we don't have a 'lookout' so this was not a viable representation to the security guard which is why you would have been asked to move off the floor.

Each floor is designated for the guests on that level in order to maintain the level of safety we offer at QT. I am delighted that each time you presented in an area that was not correct you were asked to move. It means that the staff are protecting our guests!

Sas
QT

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (748)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2013

My partner and I stayed in a Mountain View King room on the 8th floor for three nights.

Good things:

- Convenient location. An easy 10-minute stroll to Cavill Avenue for dinner, and less than a minute from buses on Ferny Avenue (which we took to the theme parks and to Currumbin Wildlife Sanctuary).

- Good service. From check-in to checkout, service was attentive and friendly without being over-the-top.

- Softest, most comfortable bed! Good pillows, too

- Clean, modern room and bathroom

- Clean fresh linen and large, thick towels

- Plenty of hot water and good water pressure in the shower

- Curtains did a pretty good job of blocking out the light

- Large TV with all the digital channels and Foxtel

- Nice and quiet - not once did I hear any noise from the corridor, adjacent rooms or downstairs, even when the downstairs bar was pumping on Friday night

- The Bazaar restaurant, and also the room service menu, looked delicious but I didn't actually get to try them (next time!)

- Nice view from the room - lovely sunsets over the mountains

- No problem storing bags on check-out so we could go out and explore

Not-so-good things:

- Twice our television stopped working (it just displayed a "No Signal" message). However on both occasions a staff member arrived promptly to get it working again

- There is construction going on around the hotel of the new light rail tracks, so at times pedestrian access can be a bit tricky - however this is definitely not a major problem

Overall we had a really enjoyable stay! This hotel obviously has been getting rave reviews on TripAdvisor, so it was pleasing to see it lives up to the hype. The QT is slick and funky, but also gets the basics right. Wouldn't hesitate to stay here again!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LucyTheNerd
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

This hotel is in a good location. Slightly away from the hustle and bustle of Surfers Paradise. It is only about a 10 minute walk to the main streets of Cavill and Elkhorn Avenue.

At check-in the front desk staff was very efficient if not very warm. She could have been a little nicer but not saying she was rude or anything. The staff however were very friendly then on and couldn't be nicer. Jesse (I think this was his name) from room service apologised that room service might be a bit slower that night while on the phone but when he delivered the food it was no slower than any other hotel. He apologised again which I thought wasn't necessary. The staff were nice when giving the pool towel and at check-out.

The room service I had was really good. Although the nachos said it was a starter it was big enough to be a main. The food was delicious and delivered efficiently.

The gym was okay, the equipment had aged a bit but at least they have a gym. The pool was good but smaller than some of their neighbours but served its purpose.

The lobby is airy and offers free lemonade and iced tea. The decor and theme is what makes it stands apart from other hotels here. It is very retro and staff uniform is themed like this.

The room was large and I had a mountain view with a king bed. The bathroom was a good size with a large walk in shower. It had a small balcony and had a view of the mountains and inlets. Looking left you have some ocean glimpses. The bed was really comfortable and soft which I liked. Had a really good sleep I'm it.

Overall I can recommend this property and a different and unique twist to other hotels I have stayed at. Not totally polished but still a very groovy place to stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
7 Thank rc33
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 December 2013

Stayed for a long weekend and was impressed from making the booking to the time of check-out, with a few points that could be easily rectified by the hotel. Upon making the booking, I was impressed by both the rate for 2 people and all the inclusions for our rate - spa credit, champagne on arrival, dinner one night and breakfast both days. After making the booking the restaurant, Bazaar, where we would have dinner contacted us to make the reservation for dinner - this is very rare, I thought i would have to contact them but no problems.

On checking in, the receptionist mentioned a number of our inclusions but not our champagne, but then I was in our lovely room for less than 10 minutes when a chilled bottle of champagne in a little QT ice bag, and two glasses, was delivered to our room. Wonderful! The meal that night at Bazaar was amazing, so much choice on the buffet, and an amazing three case dessert bar with tiny desserts so you could eat as much as you liked (and could cope with!) There was a personalised ice cream station as well. Breakfast was similarly fantastic, with a lot of options and a made to order omelette and hot food bar. A number of international options were also available. It is amazing to think how much food we got for our rate! However, eating options during the day are not great - we went to the lobby cafe for lunch, and there were few options (a couple of sushi rolls and some sandwiches) so it may be better to eat off-site during the day.

The room was lovely, big with twin beds, though it was evident by the bathroom that the hotel had taken over another hotel and done some renovations, but not in the bathroom. There were a couple of cleanliness issues - I put my hand in something unidentiably sticky at the mini-bar - but overall ok. The location is also fantastic - a 10 minute easy walk to Cavill Avenue, but you're far away from the Crazy Saturday night element of the Gold Coast that this doesn't affect your stay.

I would recommend and will definitely be back.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank littlemissredsoles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

First time we stated at QT was last weekend (Sat 30/11/13). It was a group booking and it was amazing. It prompted me to join trip advisor to tell others.

We usually stay at the new Hilton or Peppers (and while Peppers is amazing, its at B/Beach), but next time we will be booking back into QT without thinking twice.

The staff, our room and the service could not be faulted.

Breakfast was fantastic too.

Would highly rate them.

Room Tip: We had a ocean facing room on level 8.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

I was really looking forward to staying at QT Gold Coast after a fantastic stay at QT Port Douglas in mid 2012. I was also impressed by the good reviews on here but to be honest, I was a little disappointed and probably wouldn't rush back.

The concept of the hotel is cool and I love the retro/Miami feel it has. They have done a great job from a design-perspective which is why I was drawn to the QT again. But it also felt a little run down in places. When we checked in, the female staff member was quite difficult and rude and wouldn't allow us to have a cot in our twin room even though I had already checked with the reservations department. She claimed it was a fire hazard but when we asked another staff member, they happily found us one and said it was no problem from a safety perspective. The rooms were a great size and the beds were comfortable but I was surprised we had to pay $3.50 for a bottle of water when most hotels I have stayed in recently have a complimentary bottle. There was a Nespresso machine, but it was also not complimentary, nor were newspapers. Again I found this surprising.

The pool is nice enough but it was so heavily chlorinated one day that we had to get out because it was stinging our skin. The pool bar was also never open, which is a shame because that was one of the good things about its Port Douglas property.

The restaurant Bazaar is really fantastic, especially for dinner but also for breakfast. I really couldn't fault it at all and would say don't miss it if you stay at QT. The only annoying thing was, and not to sound mean or money-focused, the free coffee was bad and if you wanted a barista to make you one, it was $4 which is expensive even by Sydney standards.

Other than the girl on reception, the rest of the staff at QT were really helpful and friendly. It is a funky hotel but it just didn't feel like it went out of its way to entice you back with any little extras. I wish there was an overall rating of "good" because average seems unfair but I couldn't say it was very good.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank AWastnage
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2013

This is a great hotel with a funky twist.

All staff were extremely friendly and the hotel itself has such a unique and fresh vibe. Love how you can make fresh lemonade in your room.

Dinner in Bazaar was fantastic, just make sure you don't eat much before you go because there is so much fantastic produce to choose from.

A cocktail in the Stingray Lounge is also a must.

I will certainly stay again.

I would recommend a room overlooking the ocean - great view to wake up to in the morning.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple