“Weekend away”
Review of QT Gold Coast

QT Gold Coast
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Be careful of the little things that you would think are usually complimentary at other resorts- eg Parking, bottles of water beside your bed and coffee in your room (Nespresso pods are usually 68cents at most- they charge you $1.50 a pod) Very sneaky charges, disappointing to say the least. Won't be staying here again!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Dannyeve

Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Everything about this hotel spruiked an enjoyable experience. Fun and professional at the same time. King room over looking the mountains was great, chocs on arrival had a touch of Heston Blumenthal and breakfast the best hotel breakfast we've had. What a concept! Well executed! Coming back and recommending highly to all.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ben S
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Booked the sea view room.The room was on the four floor ,but the noise from the lifts and air con for the whole hotel was outside our window,it start to drive you mad.I rang room service three times for ice no answer.We order room service ; they came with the food but forgot the ice.Watch out for some of the staff ;they think that they a lot cooling the the paying quests.ie check in.

3  Thank Maca1976
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear past QT Gold Coast guest,

We appreciate your feedback and will take time to run through it with our team.

With warmest regards,

Sas
QT

Reviewed 11 February 2014

My husband and I have stayed here about half a dozen times since QT took over from GCI and on this occasion it was a 3-day weekend for my birthday & to attend a gf's 30th onsite. When booking a package with meals at Bazaar the hotel offers great value for money, as I don't usually stay 5 star when travelling domestically (affordability). We were happy to enjoy both Bazaar (onsite restaurant) and Stingray (bar) during our stay - long waits at Stingray for a drink on a Fri or Sat night, but a great variety of cocktails on offer leaves you a little less cranky.

The hotel rooms are uniformed, spacious, well laid out and offer a great range of amenities. After a recent US trip, I have really grown to appreciate the 'little touches' such as a hair tie, shower cap and body lotion! There are tea & coffee making facilities in the room, but only at the cost of $1.50 per coffee pod. I find this a little cheeky.... the mini bar is well stocked and of usual mini bar pricing (not outrageous but not cheap), the bathrooms are lovely but I find that the door opens the wrong way - if you are in the shower, you run the risk of housekeeping opening the door to service your room while you're in there (use the do not disturb sign when in the room!!).

I would recommend a room on the ocean side, or high up on the mountain view side due to the street noise (there's a popular bar in the ground floor) and due to the "bungee rocket" across the road, you can hear the screams of fear/joy until late at night. The pools are lovely, the restaurants are to die for, but the gym is old and outdated and sad. I hadn't visited the gym since my first stay a few years back and I was very disappointed to find it in the same condition. I workout for an hour every day whether at home or a hotel, so this is certainly something to consider in future.

I love the decor, location, theme, restaurants, bars, spacious rooms, views and the staff are lovely. I'd definitely stay here again for a 1-2 night weekend stay, but may rethink the 3-nights until the gym is sorted out.

Room Tip: High floor, ocean side is great but mountain view OK too on a high floor.
1  Thank Dom R
Reviewed 9 February 2014

Stayed here for 1 night as a weekend getaway. Very helpful staff with cool attire. The hotel and room was very clean and cosy. The king size bed was very comfortable and the robes were great. Couple of minor IT issues with the electronic card, not opening the room door or boom gate from garage, but staff quickly resolved. We stayed on a Saturday night and the bar near the lobby was extremely loud. Luckily we stayed on a higher level (10th) and when we got to our room we could not hear anything. I assume lower level rooms would be affected by this. Overall great stay and I'd be happy to return.

1  Thank AusTraveller_881
Reviewed 9 February 2014

I stayed for 3 nights last year at QT in Sydney and so was looking forward to spending a weekend on the Gold Coast when I heard that QT had opened up a hotel in Surfers. Sadly the two hotels cannot be compared for quality or attention to detail. The hotel in Sydney is significantly better in all aspects - the decore, the style and the little touches added to make it an outstanding and hip hotel. I would recommend that anyone I knew stayed at QT in Sydney - the Gold Coast version offers nowhere near the unique experience . I thought the foyer was very groovy and liked the free fresh lemonade and iced tea but there were a few issues that I found irritating and think that the hotel will need to consider a better approach if they want to stand out in a competitive market. The location is not outstanding, although the views from the ocean view rooms on higher levels is good ... but obviously the location cannot be changed. I found it irritating that the hotel charged patrons for parking - I know some other hotels also do this but for the $8 it costs it would be better for the hotel to forgo that cost...it just looks cheap and penny pinching. I also was unhappy to be charged for coffee pods - also only $1.50 but it just felt a little pathetic. My husband and I ate at Stingray, the Japanese restaurant at the hotel - which was outstanding and were annoyed that when we passed by the hotel bar after we left the restaurant and went to enter for a nightcap at about 9pm we were told that he would not be able to enter as he was wearing shorts... we had been drinking in that bar 2 hours earlier. The shorts wear dress shorts, he was wearing a collared shirt and he was wearing deck shoes. He was told he would have to go up to his room and change his trousers .. very irritating as we were guests and had been in there earlier in exactly the same clothes. The window and sliding glass door were very dirty - something Id really never seen before in a hotel of this quality. While the hotel gets the ocean salt it is important that as the view is the first thing you see as you enter the room that it be of a clean window - this really has to be cleaned daily in this sort of position. I thought the room decor was fresh and beachy - the bath robes were cool and the thongs in bags were a nice touch. The reception staff are very attentive and coincidentally very attractive although I did think the very lowcut dresses on the female bar staff felt a little inappropriate as a uniform for a family hotel. All in all while I would return to QT in Sydney in a heartbeat, I'm not sure I would stay at QT on the Gold Coast again - not when there are other outstanding hotels at better prices, in better locations.

Room Tip: ocean view ... the higher up the better
1  Thank kristil
Reviewed 8 February 2014

What a wonderful surprise this hotel is. They have looked at all the other hotels and worked out how to make it different and better.
Love the decor, its just quirky and you know you are in for something special.
The staff at the Stingray bar were great, very welcoming and made us want to stay for another round of drinks.
The use of hire bikes - amazing. We were able to bike off, find a cafe for breakfast and return in time to check out.
Love this place. We will be back!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family