“Absolutely must stay here!”
Review of QT Gold Coast

QT Gold Coast
Ranked #5 of 31 Hotels in Surfers Paradise
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I stayed here for a conference. The hotel is so well decorated and has a really great theme. The rooms were gorgeous and immaculate (the whole hotel was immaculate) and I have never slept in such a comfortable bed!! The staff service across all areas (concierge, bar, coffee lounge etc) was of an excellent standard - friendly and helpful. The food at the Stingray bar was amazing and really varied. Just a lovely experience all round - particularly when on business and missing your family at home. I would absolutely recommend staying here and I will definitely be back with my family! p.s. The cocktails are a must try!

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Jojosmissy

Reviewed 23 August 2014

Lovely stay, QT is really at home in Surfers Paradise. Great to have so many unique touches which make this a destination hotel. Wonderfully presented, clean rooms (bathroom could have been better attended to), cute bathroom with wonderful huge shower. Fantastic to have a twin room with 2 queen size beds (not doubles). Staff were exceptionally busy at the times I was checking in and out, I think they handled it admirably given the amount of people. I felt they were understaffed at these peak times.
In regards to location, I love to be away from the central bustle of SP, but still close enough for easy access. Very easy access to the beach.

A few things to note:
+Room Service Desserts were fantastic! Really enjoyed them.
++Really recommend the day spa, Spa Q. The girls were lovely and make sure you make use of the fabulous steam room, free with treatments of one hour or more, and make use of the lovely lounge. We had 2 hour freshly picked treatments, which meant we could pick and choose what we wanted, plus the steam room time, so a nearly a full afternoon of spa time. Bliss!
++Bazaar Restaurant for breakfast is so much better than your average hotel buffet breakfast. Lots of touches that elevated it from standard fare.
+If paying for movies, worthwhile to get the 24 hour package as only a few dollars more.
++Had requested late checkout in advance, given at no extra charge - fantastic!
-Car parking at $8 per day is per day, not per stay! Charged $16 to park
-Balcony is really small, really just allows you to have the doors open for the fresh air
Given the issues of the rooms that are often mentioned in the reviews here such as the tiny bar fridge, the noise of the air con units lower down and the overall cost, personally I think this is a hotel to just stay for a night or two.

Great visit, go with a sense of fun!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends

3- they charge for everything, even water
4- staff are like badly dressed alien robots
5- no regular free TV movies
6- soft bed that swallows you whole
7- silly themed hotel that has plastic everywhere, including all plastic chairs in the room, maybe good for alien robots
8- no internet security in that one day after booking online my credit card had to be cancelled as it was being used overseas
9- not central in the area of SP
10- bathroom a danger to use because of kooky layout

Stayed: August 2014
8  Thank richardatlarge
sasrowlandsQT, Director of Social Media at QT Gold Coast, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2015

Hi Richardatlarge,

Thanks for your review. Our property clearly wasn't for you!

While we disagree on all points and your review sits far askew of the majority of reviews, we do appreciate your right to have an opinion and to share it.

Re number 8 - always best to turn on secure browsing when you are using a public system - golden rule for seasoned travellers.

Sas
QT

Reviewed 21 August 2014

"If you're gonna compare a Hanzo sword, you compare it to every other sword ever made... that wasn't made by Hattori Hanzo." - Kill Bill Volume 2

Pretty much an accurate way to describe the QT brand as a whole after staying in my 2nd hotel now (after Sydney). Again the QT has managed to re-invent itself and stands both tall & alone in it's execution of facilities and service. I did read quite a few reviews before going to this one (as well as carrying my high expectations after my fantastic stay a year ago) just to get a better perspective on what I would be experiencing.

Service: A few reviews mentioned that the staff are carrying the "stuck-up, rude, trying-to-be-cool" attitude. From what I've seen, I think that the staff are experienced, honest, and genuinely cool. Don't expect the fake smiles, or for someone to hold your hand from when you get out of your car. I feel as though the more I was honest and clear with what I was expecting and requiring, the more I was also treated with respect and really throughout my stay no request was too great for them (and quite a few things were offered to me). You can feel that HR has done a great job hiring a very specific type of staff to compliment their brand.

Facilities: I'll keep this one brief:
[Rooms] - Fantastic views / perhaps the largest bathroom I have ever experienced in an Australian hotel with good pressure and heat from the rain-shower / comfortable bed (no zips) / Good quality TV with reasonably-priced movie packages.
[Amenities] - Top-quality amenities (same as Sydney) / yes the DIY lemonade thing doesn't have much of a purpose but I noticed they have funky lemonade & ice-tea dispensers in the lobby for guests now.
[Stingray] - Great ambiance & service with tasty cocktails.
[Bazaar] - Top-notch service in Bazaar (dwarfs anywhere else I visited during my 3-day trip). From management to chefs to wait-staff, Bazaar is in a league of it's own / Food was fantastic (both breakfast & dinner) and the interactive marketplace was a real hit of a concept.
[Decor] - Vintage 1950's with a modern twist (very suitable for the GC area and the immediate surrounds). There is just so much thought that has gone into designing this place (check out the light fittings at night which glow in colours but come out as white light). The location is really perfect. Close enough to anywhere important but still not too close to be bothered by traffic. Only 22 floors but dwarfs out the nearby buildings and the really tall ones closeby are kind of in the corners so they don't block the view. I think all the rooms have balconies too. Yes the carpark is ugly (hasn't been refurbished since the previous hotel), but it's completely functional and easy to maneuver around. I kind of got the vibe that maybe QT purposely left it this way to either pay homage to the original building or show a kind of before-after effect. Besides, I don't see why they would need to spend on changing it around.

Again thank you for another amaaaaazing stay. You have really out-done yourselves this time!

P.S. In a ironic turn of events, Sas replied to my original review of QT Sydney (where I stayed for my birthday exactly 1 year ago) at the exact time that I checked-in to QT GC. It's almost like fate =]

Room Tip: All King-Suites are on the ocean-view side of the building ending with '15. They are closest to...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 August 2014

This is an excellent hotel. Funky, modern décor. Clean, friendly, well priced, with very comfortable beds. Large screen TVs in rooms, great mini bar and fantastic views (ask for ocean view room). Great coffee machine in room. Excellent in house restaurant (Bazaar) and a walk from other great surfers paradise restaurants. Cant go wrong. Will definitely go back again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 August 2014

This was my first stay with the QT Hotel Chain. Overall, the experience of the hotel itself was good - lovely surroundings and decor. I attended the spa and the treatments I had there were also fantastic.
However, most of the reception staff were an absolute nightmare (and I say most, as there were a couple of really nice people I came across). The majority of them made me feel like I was a nuisance. I have never experienced so much stress on check out at a hotel in my entire life. I had been told during my stay that I would only need to pay the difference between the balance of my account and the hold that had been placed on my credit card on check in (I had checked this several times). However, upon checking out, I was made pay the entire amount and was told the hold would release automatically. I checked out last Sunday and until yesterday (Wednesday), the charge that was being held by QT had still not been released on my credit card. I spoke to by bank and they advised that as it was a different transaction with a different authority code that it did not release automatically and the hotel would need to send a written request. I then spent a considerable amount of time on phone calls between my bank and your hotel to sort the issue out. I spoke to the Manager at QT Gold Coast and whilst he made arrangements for the written request to be sent, I was also left feeling, once again, like I was an annoyance to him. My bank also commented that the system being used at your hotel is something they ALWAYS have problems with and unless they receive the written request it takes 5 to 7 days to release. Honestly, how on earth can this happen? Fortunately, the hold has now been released, only due to my follow up.
As I said, I enjoyed my stay, but given the way the reception staff made me feel, I would really need to reconsider before I ever came back again.
Regards
LB

Room Tip: No comment
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank LMB494
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I love this accommodation! My partner and I booked a weekend stay at QT and was amazed at the deco, the warm reception, the retro chic outfits the staff wore and most of all the place simple amazing!

Why I love QT:
1. Deco: Have you seen the pictures of the hotel? You will definitely love the deco from the lobby to your room. The vibrant colors from various furnitures adds color to the hotel. Get your cameras ready to snap away
2. Convenience: The tram is just right out front and you can take the bus just 5 mins walk away. There are a number of scooter and car rental just around the corner for you to choose from.
3. Food: QT have a couple restaurants: Bazaar (also recommended on TripAdvisor), Stingray (for drinks to chill and hang out) and if you love Jap food, there is also one available
4. View: Get the room with sea view and you will not regret it. It is a bit pricey but it is worth it. I would recommend to request for a higher floor so you get a better view
5. Transportation: arrange with the concierge to rent the bicycles (for free) and cycle around Surfers Paradise.
6. Well written messages: Look out for their cards in the room and you will know you what I mean. QT personalize their messages and it makes me feel so welcome.

Cons: The beds wee bit too soft....

Room Tip: 1. Request for the sea view room - its worth it!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple